The next game: X2 - The Return (with Interview!)

General discussions about the games by Egosoft including X-BTF, XT, X², X³: Reunion, X³: Terran Conflict and X³: Albion Prelude.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

Rex
x3tc

Post by Rex » Fri, 20. Aug 04, 10:53

Bernd: Save the planet, Eat healthy food, Vote Kerry, Buy our games…
Ah… I forgot I’m not a popstar. So make it just "Live long and prosper!"

I would vote for Bernd but we need him at Egosoft therefore I vote for Kerry! :)
CYBERSPACE THE NEXT FRONTIER

Tare69
x3

Post by Tare69 » Fri, 20. Aug 04, 10:55

:roll:

I know... I always (now when I did find it) have been using ffdshow-codec pack because it is damm good... :-)

http://sourceforge.net/projects/ffdshow/

http://heanet.dl.sourceforge.net/source ... 040808.exe
ASRock 939DualSata2+AM2CPU, X2 4800+, 2x2GB DDR2 800MHz, ATI X850XT 256MB, 2.6TB HD, DVD LG 4162 SM, SB Live Value, Hitachi CM769ET 20", Cyborg Evo, Logitech G15, XP Home+SP3 = X2 Res:1024x768*32/BM=On/RS=ON framerate: 66.857 fps

Skeeter
x3

Post by Skeeter » Fri, 20. Aug 04, 10:59

Some querys about the expansion:

Woundering if a tug is for stations and large objects how about a smaller more faster tug to tug some badly damaged ships to a station that is able to repair them, it would be great to get them to repair stations faster.

Also I hope there will be a controller configuration panel ingame where u can configure keys or buttons for specific things.

Also i hope that there will be more options to turn up or down the gfx so more users can get better frame rates. Cos u have to admit the auto adjusting thing egosoft done for x games has never been very good with this.

I also hope again that all the ships get unique cockpits and models. This is the most important thing i think x2 needs for a expansion as it makes it worth saving up for new and better ships its vitally important visually different than just technically different. (if they want a hand doing them lol i can help no problem as there models are rather easy to make in lw)

I was thinking if they ever did want a multiplayer aspect how about a single sector skirmish gameplay where upto say 30 players can fight it out in a single sector (should be large enough for hide and seek fighting and plenty of room to play in) And dont have stations in just a big ass empty sector with perhaps nebula in and asteroids with holes in em for hiding in.

If x2: The Return was a standalone expansion pack where as u dont need x2 to run it im sure they could do alot more to it. If there doing it with just modifying the x2 game for a expansion pack then it really does limit what they can do without redesigning the engine alot. ( i think)

And get the pirates a hell of a lot more active as in bb missions for illegal trade runs of jobs at there stations and a respect rating for different pirate groups (different by the inclusion of badges on all ships (bit like homeworld 2). That way u dont need to modify the models. (also do a colour scheme system like homeworld 2) where different factiosn of each race have diff colours so there not all the same lookin ship) (probably to hard tho for them to include tho)

The guy who said about crews, i hope there will be catagorys in the bb system for goods/missions/passengers/jobs that way u can split up the bb a bit for more variety and a better system and where u can get crews to crew ur new m6 or bigger ships.

But from whats been said and posted for show, i am lookin forward to x2 expansion a hell of alot. :)

And that they said there redoing the physics of X2:TR i am greatly looking forward to seeing how ships play with the new physics in motion. :D

Z0diac
x3

Post by Z0diac » Fri, 20. Aug 04, 11:10

(also do a colour scheme system like homeworld 2) where different factiosn of each race have diff colours so there not all the same lookin ship)
Colours? Like in Command & Conquer and other RTS games? Man, that system is for little kids... Do you see only see RED American cars, blue German cars and yellow Japanese cars on the road?

Needing to ID the ship or hail it is part of the "realism".
Signatures are for the wicked.

Tare69
x3

Post by Tare69 » Fri, 20. Aug 04, 11:31

Okei... New version of ffdshow fix the video problem... Very good stadion inside...
ASRock 939DualSata2+AM2CPU, X2 4800+, 2x2GB DDR2 800MHz, ATI X850XT 256MB, 2.6TB HD, DVD LG 4162 SM, SB Live Value, Hitachi CM769ET 20", Cyborg Evo, Logitech G15, XP Home+SP3 = X2 Res:1024x768*32/BM=On/RS=ON framerate: 66.857 fps

Miklatov
x2

Post by Miklatov » Fri, 20. Aug 04, 13:08

That last pic is very Homeworld2-mothership-esque.

Great stuff Egosoft! Many thanks in advance!

PS: What kind of prefix is YM3 or YM5? Obviously the M3 and M5 stand for the ship class but what about the Y? Does this stand for one of the existing races or is it going to be for the new pirates mentioned?
Mogul 94%
CA 1st Grade 43%
M1 0 M5 4
M2 3 M6 5
M3 ~10 TS Loads
M4 1 TL 2
Factories: 22xGPPC, 2xBPPC, 1xAPPC, 1x125MW, 1x25MW, 1xAmmo & 2xSpaceweed loops
Credits: 22 Million
Caps: 3 Dragon (2 destroyed), 1 Osprey

fulhamfcrock
x2

Post by fulhamfcrock » Fri, 20. Aug 04, 13:16

so wait, is the expansion going to be compatible with our saved games at the moment, i was a bit confused about that
I froze your tears and made a dagger
And stabbed it in my hand forever
It stays there like Excalibur Are you my Arthur?
Say you are

Take this cools, dark, steel-ed blade
Steal it
Sheath it in your lake
I'd drown with you to be together
Must you breathe?
Cos I need heaven

David Brent

CBJ
EGOSOFT
EGOSOFT
x4

Post by CBJ » Fri, 20. Aug 04, 13:19

Abyss: We know the expansion will be a continuation of the plot. It is also clear that making the expansion save-game compatible will mean that some of the more advanced ideas for the future will not make it into the game at this stage. What is your preference?

Bernd: Savegame compatibility does indeed restrict our possibilities a bit but we still can add a lot of new features. I’m very confident that this expansion will be a great product and improve on all aspects of the game.
I think this question and answer make it fairly clear that savegame compatibility is at least still the current plan.

Freggel.Doe
x2

Post by Freggel.Doe » Fri, 20. Aug 04, 13:29

Miklatov wrote: PS: What kind of prefix is YM3 or YM5? Obviously the M3 and M5 stand for the ship class but what about the Y? Does this stand for one of the existing races or is it going to be for the new pirates mentioned?
methinks it has something to do with the new pirate group:
Bernd wrote: Yaki, (a group of extremely deadly pirates)...
greetings freggel

CBJ
EGOSOFT
EGOSOFT
x4

Post by CBJ » Fri, 20. Aug 04, 13:42

Er, no, Y stands for "your" like it does now.

Graphil
Moderator (DevNet)
Moderator (DevNet)
x3tc

Post by Graphil » Fri, 20. Aug 04, 13:45

Yes I know that it is artwork and not in game graphics but I would play an awful lot of money for a game that looked that good on high end machines.
I probably wouldn't get a lot of playing done through, it be too busy being a tourist! :)

fulhamfcrock
x2

Post by fulhamfcrock » Fri, 20. Aug 04, 13:51

CBJ i think u need to chill a bit, i sense many powerful stress vibes eminating from your oh-so tired self
Say you are

Steal it
Sheath it in your lake
Must you breathe?
Cos I need heaven

David Brent

CBJ
EGOSOFT
EGOSOFT
x4

Post by CBJ » Fri, 20. Aug 04, 13:53

I'm chilled. Don't take my posts too seriously. You'll know when I'm being serious. ;)

fulhamfcrock
x2

Post by fulhamfcrock » Fri, 20. Aug 04, 13:56

is that a threat or just a mere statement :o
Say you are

Steal it
Sheath it in your lake
Must you breathe?
Cos I need heaven

David Brent

CBJ
EGOSOFT
EGOSOFT
x4

Post by CBJ » Fri, 20. Aug 04, 13:56

It was a joke. :roll:

fulhamfcrock
x2

Post by fulhamfcrock » Fri, 20. Aug 04, 13:58

humour from a moderator...something im not too familiar with :)
Say you are

Steal it
Sheath it in your lake
Must you breathe?
Cos I need heaven

David Brent

Freggel.Doe
x2

Post by Freggel.Doe » Fri, 20. Aug 04, 14:02

CBJ wrote:Er, no, Y stands for "your" like it does now.
didn't know that, since i'm playing the german version and all my property-ids start with an "i".

greetings freggel

EventHorizon
x4

Post by EventHorizon » Fri, 20. Aug 04, 14:25

Hey guys, fantastic news about the expansion pack! Really looking forward to it.

And not that long to wait really! :D

But one thing, sombody did mention this before but got no response. Please please, please, please, please make sure that the new plot continuation has some meat to it. I'm sorry to say that the plot in X2 was c***, and I was very very very dissapointed.

I know it is very early days, but can any of the developers (direct or otherwise) give us some kind of assurance that the plot won't suffer because there is too much empasis on the technical side?

On the whole though, I like the sounds that I hear....super stations here come!!!! BTW, have the developers given any indication as to the limits of a super station? IE, how many stations can you link?

Graphil
Moderator (DevNet)
Moderator (DevNet)
x3tc

Post by Graphil » Fri, 20. Aug 04, 14:32

I'm hoping to be able to make a chain from one gate to the other. :)

x2

Post by Avatar » Fri, 20. Aug 04, 14:33

I know it is very early days, but can any of the developers (direct or otherwise) give us some kind of assurance that the plot won't suffer because there is too much empasis on the technical side?
maybe the fact that this time around we got a professional screenwriter with experience in writing for movies and tv shows is something that could be called an assurance.

That combined with us learning from our past mistakes ;)

btw I think it`s save to say that everyone here at the office thinks that the new plot will kick ass.

cheers,
Chris

Return to “X Trilogy Universe”