X3R is it possible to get older versions

General discussions about the games by Egosoft including X-BTF, XT, X², X³: Reunion, X³: Terran Conflict and X³: Albion Prelude.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

X-fryer
x3tc

X3R is it possible to get older versions

Post by X-fryer » Thu, 27. Jul 23, 22:23

I recently bought X3R as I don't have a very fast laptop. As I last played over 20 years ago my little laptop is much larger than my previous computer, which ran the game pretty well on minimum settings. Unfortunately with this version it he game keeps crashing in the first major khaak invasion I've encountered. As 1.3 ran perfectly for me I'm wondering whether I could run that instead of 2.5e which I now have. Is it possible to wind back the game to that version and if so is it still available?

Alan Phipps
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Re: X3R is it possible to get older versions

Post by Alan Phipps » Fri, 28. Jul 23, 00:39

Newer versions of the game will generally run better than older versions in terms of stability, gameplay and even fps. For that reason I would suspect that the real issue is one of game installation integrity, or compatibility settings with OS and hardware.

Your best course if you have bought a digital download of the game is to verify your game installation (obviously for X3:R rather than X4).

If that does not help then start a thread in this Tech Sp forum mentioning X3:R and whether your game is modded and supply a link to a recent DxDiag (no need for VulkanInfo with X3:R) so that we can see what the problem might be and what the error reports are saying.
A dog has a master; a cat has domestic staff.

X-fryer
x3tc

Post by X-fryer » Fri, 28. Jul 23, 06:14

i cant post my dx diag as it's to long.
as a very poor old man buying this game for the fourth time has been underwhelming indeed, why did you wreak a good game

Tranxalive
EGOSOFT
EGOSOFT
x4

Post by Tranxalive » Fri, 28. Jul 23, 15:32

If you have the game on Steam, you can try using the Steam Depot Downloader to get the files from the older version, once you get them, then just make a copy of the current one, for backup and safety purposes, and replace the files with the old ones. You’ll then have to do some trickery in order to get the game to launch, you’ll have to launch it in offline mode, but I think there’s another thing you have to do to actually launch it, as Steam insists on updating it. Once you launch the game though, you can safely go back online, just be careful not to launch the game while online, as it’ll automatically update and replace the old files. If you need help and information, I’ll be more than happy to find a link to the tool, as well as a guide on how to use it. :)

Alan Phipps
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Post by Alan Phipps » Fri, 28. Jul 23, 17:20

It would help if the OP addressed the likely real issue and the suggestions given above as I suspect that running an older version on that newer system as currently set up will prove equally futile. Verifying the installation would help. The attachment of a DxDiag as a link is just a case of uploading to a reputable free fileshare site (a few examples are Google Drive, DropBox or PasteBin, etc) and copying the open public sharing download link here.
A dog has a master; a cat has domestic staff.

X-fryer
x3tc

Post by X-fryer » Sat, 29. Jul 23, 06:42

i spent yet another weeks worth of food getting dropbox and verifying the game twice, yet still no joy, so goodbye egosoft, i just cannot afford this shit or post my ****** dxdiag not5to mention over 16hrs trying to get this shit working. i do hope that you are all very proud of robbing another african as europe is so very fond of doing.

X2-Illuminatus
Moderator (Deutsch)
Moderator (Deutsch)
x4

Post by X2-Illuminatus » Sat, 29. Jul 23, 10:13

No one is / was robbing you of anything! Quite the contrary: Volunteers where helping you in their own free time with their own knowledge about the game. All the suggestions for uploading files can be used free of charge. There also would have been the option to split up your DXDiag report into multiple parts and post them over two or more posts.

Since the initial question was answered, and this discussion took quite the unpleasant turn, I'm going to lock this topic. When the OP feels ready to continue their search for the cause of the game crash, then they still have their topic in the Tech support forum waiting for the requested information.

Return to “X Trilogy Universe”