X3 R .Are 2 games possible?

General discussions about the games by Egosoft including X-BTF, XT, X², X³: Reunion, X³: Terran Conflict and X³: Albion Prelude.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

X-fryer
x3tc

X3 R .Are 2 games possible?

Post by X-fryer » Sun, 16. Jul 23, 09:19

Hi there,
I'd like to play 2 games, one vanilla and the other running scripts. Is that possible? I'm back on X3 Reunion after many years away.

Alan Phipps
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Re: X3 R .Are 2 games possible?

Post by Alan Phipps » Sun, 16. Jul 23, 10:56

This was what I used to use - obviously the version appropriate to the X game being played.
A dog has a master; a cat has domestic staff.

X-fryer
x3tc

Post by X-fryer » Sun, 16. Jul 23, 11:10

Thanks for the reply, but I'm a bit long in the tooth and find it very confusing. Firstly I'm talking to you on my phone at the moment (data usage issues means I can only put my laptop on the internet after 12pm) what do I do with the file? How do I open it? Could I send it to my laptop via Bluetooth perhaps? And if so, yet still how do I open it?
Please excuse an old man's ignorance.
Thanks in advance
p.s. my cat's name is Meow Tse Tung and she's a total dictator. ;)
Last edited by X-fryer on Mon, 17. Jul 23, 02:23, edited 1 time in total.

Alan Phipps
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Post by Alan Phipps » Sun, 16. Jul 23, 12:56

It's a small tool or application written by a reputable X game player using Java that allows you to manage your different X game playthroughs as separate campaigns. You download and run it, then follow the hints you get on screen in it. The need for it is that all the game saves go to the same folder without it (without more complex arrangements) and saves from different game versions would overwrite each other.

Those campaigns could all be vanilla and use the same vanilla game installation, or you can have two or more separate and differently named installations of the game such as one vanilla and one or more 3rd party modded game installations. You run the version of the game you want to play and then run and switch the manager to the appropriate campaign you want to play before loading any saves.

The manager just manages your saves differently as campaigns, it does not mod your game for you. You have to do that by starting the intended version of the game that you installed.

I hope this helps - and are you sure that you are older in the tooth than me?

My regards to your cat too! My previous cat was Cwnt - said as Quint (cat with no tail - due to a dog encounter as a kitten), my current cat is Mr Tim (tail inclusive mog) and is a real character too. :D
A dog has a master; a cat has domestic staff.

X-fryer
x3tc

Post by X-fryer » Sun, 16. Jul 23, 13:15

Thanks a lot,
I remember you from conversations over 20years ago, I was probably a pain in the @#$% then too. ;) I need to rest a little now as I only managed 3hrs sleep last night after starting my download at 12pm, Chairman Meow never allows me to sleep past 6am. So I'll look at you advice, probably on my laptop later. It's great how well this game works on a modern computer which doesn't need to be overclocked to the hilt to work on minimum settings. :D

X-fryer
x3tc

Post by X-fryer » Mon, 17. Jul 23, 04:16

I had to give up after spending 3 hours trying to get it to run. now just as I gave up, java decided to install on my computer, I'll update in a bit.
p.s. I was long in the tooth when i spoke to you 20 years ago, i should have said that i have no teeth left :D
p.p.s. it's given me a terrible headache, i will try again tomorrow.

Return to “X Trilogy Universe”