My VOD's on YouTube are getting Content ID Matched (Copyright)

General discussions about the games by Egosoft including X-BTF, XT, X², X³: Reunion, X³: Terran Conflict and X³: Albion Prelude.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

Tripp_K
x4

My VOD's on YouTube are getting Content ID Matched (Copyright)

Post by Tripp_K » Sat, 11. Mar 23, 16:02

Hello;

I've been twitch streaming the entire playthrough of the X-Series from beginning (X-Beyond the Frontier) to X4, and I'm currently on X3: Terran Conflict. Part of my cycle is to do the Twitch Stream, download the VOD, edit it slightly and then upload it to YouTube as part of my channel. Unfortunately I've run into quite a serious problem today. I received a content ID match, something I've never received on my channel before, and I can't really dispute it because none of the options apply to me or my case.

I have previously uploaded 27 episodes on my YouTube channel without encountering any issues with copyright music. However, to my absolute horror, today, I received a claim for "PSYCORANGE - Reunion (154)," a sound recording administered by Voodoo Hoodoo Recordings.

Given that the only music used in my videos is from the in-game music that comes with the X-Games, at first I believed this claim to be a false positive. Upon conducting a YouTube search for "Psycorange - Reunion (154)," I discovered a video to a version of the song that includes the in-game music from the X-Games (Specifically: Echo's of a Xaar Empire) in the first 30 seconds before transitioning into a different, thoroughly unpleasant techno beat.

As a content creator myself (and probably not even a good one) I find it frustrating that someone would take someone else's work and modify it in such a way, only to claim it as their own original work.

My concern is whether or not Egosoft authorised this modification of their music for use in a different product without their knowledge or consent, or if they're allowing other people to copyright strike/content ID claim gameplay of their games under dubious pretences like this. As anyone who has played any of the X-Games can attest, the music in the first 30 seconds of the song is unmistakably from the game, and it even fooled the YouTube's Content ID Algorithm into flagging them as the same song. Therefore, I wonder if someone can simply take a song, such as in a video game, add a subpar techno beat, and then sell it as their own work.

In conclusion, I believe it is necessary to bring this matter to the attention of Egosoft. If they authorised the use of their music in this manner, then there is no issue, I'll just have to find a way of editing out that track from the game so it doesn't play ever again so I don't risk getting an actual copyright strike. However, if this was done without their knowledge or consent, it is dishonest and potentially illegal in some jurisdictions due to the unauthorised use of intellectual property.

Please advise.

CBJ
EGOSOFT
EGOSOFT
x4

Re: My VOD's on YouTube are getting Content ID Matched (Copyright)

Post by CBJ » Sat, 11. Mar 23, 17:06

I've passed the information on to the relevant people. We will look into the matter.

Tripp_K
x4

Post by Tripp_K » Sat, 11. Mar 23, 19:34

Just uploaded the second episode and I've gotten another copyright content ID match, same artist, same song.

Apothos
x3tc

Post by Apothos » Sun, 26. Mar 23, 16:05

Has this been fixed?

I had over a dozen X3TC videos flagged for the same song, I just checked and the copyright warnings have all been removed.

CBJ
EGOSOFT
EGOSOFT
x4

Post by CBJ » Sun, 26. Mar 23, 16:57

Yes, they were contacted. The problem video has been taken down, so hopefully the issues should be resolved now.

Tripp_K
x4

Post by Tripp_K » Tue, 28. Mar 23, 00:39

CBJ wrote:
Sun, 26. Mar 23, 16:57
Yes, they were contacted. The problem video has been taken down, so hopefully the issues should be resolved now.
I now have another issue. My Twitch VOD's are being targeted, music (Including my voice) are getting muted in the VODs because it contains music from "Vertical Theory - Goa orst" of which this appears to be the song in question: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4AU5WzmgGZc ... Obviously this is, yet again, another sector music track that someone has lifted from one of your games and put it into their awful song.

https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/ ... /image.png

This required me to give my full name and address, absolutely ridiculous.
Last edited by Terre on Tue, 28. Mar 23, 08:10, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Images posted directly to the forums should not be greater than 640x480 or 100kb, oversize image now linked

CBJ
EGOSOFT
EGOSOFT
x4

Post by CBJ » Tue, 28. Mar 23, 00:47

I'm no music expert, but I don't recognise any sector music in that track. Can you identify which track you think they have lifted?

Tripp_K
x4

Post by Tripp_K » Tue, 28. Mar 23, 01:21

CBJ wrote:
Tue, 28. Mar 23, 00:47
I'm no music expert, but I don't recognise any sector music in that track. Can you identify which track you think they have lifted?
I think so.
... I have been playing the X-Games far too much to know these off by heart, clearly. :lol:

Light-heartedness aside, I hope that helps.

Tranxalive
EGOSOFT
EGOSOFT
x4

Post by Tranxalive » Thu, 6. Apr 23, 21:27

Tripp_K wrote:
Tue, 28. Mar 23, 01:21
... I have been playing the X-Games far too much to know these off by heart, clearly. :lol:
Try listening to the entire soundtrack for EVERY X Game every week. Eventually you start recognizing them (Games Before Rebirth) by their ID. :wink:

08402 Is one of my favorites, though I wish it was the same version used in the intro video. :)

Also whoever made that crappy "remix" of 00037 and 08210 is an idiot for even thinking they could get away with that trash. I'm honestly disappointed that the other video was taken down because I can't insult that one too! :twisted:

Edit: Spelling Error. :)

Tripp_K
x4

Post by Tripp_K » Wed, 12. Apr 23, 01:49

Tranxalive wrote:
Thu, 6. Apr 23, 21:27
Try listening to the entire soundtrack for EVERY X Game every week. Eventually you start recognizing them (Games Before Rebirth) by their ID. :wink:
Now that's a flex! To be fair; it's good music!
Tranxalive wrote:
08402 Is one of my favorites, though I wish it was the same version used in the intro video. :)
I would agree, I'd put that on my favourites as well! Although I'm going to show myself for how basic I am :D because 08101 has got to be one of my most favourites. Wish it were longer. 01002 is a good one too, especially when the battle is epic. I can't remember the ID off of the top of my head, but a viewer on my stream highly recommended that I got my butt over to Getsu Funé and listen to that - I did and I love that one too. But the one that really gets me, and I'm sad it's not used on the title screen for Rebirth anymore is Alexei Zakharov's Nemesis Two. Now that's a moving song.
Tranxalive wrote:
Also whoever made that crappy "remix" of 00037 and 08210 is an idiot for even thinking they could get away with that trash. I'm honestly disappointed that the other video was taken down because I can't insult that one too! :twisted:
:lol:
Despite my efforts to remain polite, I must admit that the situation was truly dreadful. In my opinion, Egosoft did us all a favour by taking down the content.

Fortunately, I have not experienced any additional strikes or claims, and the current ones were quickly resolved after referencing this matter. It is ironic that these individuals, who have blatantly stolen music from other artists without permission, are now claiming copyright infringement through automated or other means. This is both baffling and comical.

Return to “X Trilogy Universe”