Enhancing and resurrecting X3 into new forms of games.

General discussions about the games by Egosoft including X-BTF, XT, X², X³: Reunion, X³: Terran Conflict and X³: Albion Prelude.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

Omni-Orb
x4

Enhancing and resurrecting X3 into new forms of games.

Post by Omni-Orb » Tue, 11. Oct 22, 05:09

I'm thinking about all this new tech that gets released as handhelds, handheld gaming consoles, regular laptop computers.
And I'm thinking about the engine code and assets for all the previous games and how useful it can be, and how good it still is.

People like Joubarbe for example in the x3 modding community who made the Mayhem mods (Amazing remake of x3) should be hired and given access to the old engine code.
Slow and steady, methodical and precise seems to be the style of Egosoft and people like Joubarbe has plenty of it, he obviously has a passion for the game and i
would love to see what he could do with access to the engine code and support/direction from Egosoft.
As a steady project to rejuvenate the previous games and its engine. There is so much life in the games still with assets that can be put to use again in new varied ways, especially with new tech being in the range of easily running games like x3 especially with a few engine tweaks.

I think Egosoft has the potential to gain much having a few people working on the previous tech for the future.
Last edited by Omni-Orb on Tue, 11. Oct 22, 12:57, edited 2 times in total.
Credence follow stars.

Alan Phipps
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Re: Enhancing the previous games for new low powered tech.

Post by Alan Phipps » Tue, 11. Oct 22, 11:16

I think a major issue might be the port to OSs and systems that cannot support the XP-era Windows DirectX 9.0c/DirectShow/DirectSound and all associated obsolescent drivers and codecs. Gameplay coding is one thing but interfacing, display, and media are totally different cans of worms. I'm not at all saying that it cannot be done, just that it is probably not suitable for a 'hobby' developer. What would be the potential commercial profit in any significant investment in dev team time?
A dog has a master; a cat has domestic staff.

Omni-Orb
x4

Re: Enhancing the previous games for new low powered tech.

Post by Omni-Orb » Tue, 11. Oct 22, 12:44

Alan Phipps wrote:
Tue, 11. Oct 22, 11:16
I think a major issue might be the port to OSs and systems that cannot support the XP-era Windows DirectX 9.0c/DirectShow/DirectSound and all associated obsolescent drivers and codecs. Gameplay coding is one thing but interfacing, display, and media are totally different cans of worms. I'm not at all saying that it cannot be done, just that it is probably not suitable for a 'hobby' developer. What would be the potential commercial profit in any significant investment in dev team time?
It is the fact that there is a whole array of assets that can be arranged in different orders to make different types of games.
If restructured it can become a huge variation of different games that can be good for people getting into gaming now on different devices.

If restructured it can easily become a space arena PvP game using the same assets.
Or a coop vs computer type game with 'slow' waves of enemies.
Or similar to what it is now with coop or open multiplayer.
Or some sort of mix of the above.
Or something more of an RPG progression route with talents and abilities.
Or any of the many other ideas that it can be.

The point is that it has a good structure and varied interesting assets.
If slightly restructured and with more support, it has MUCH more to give as a concept.

I think the dev team should continue what they are doing. However, since X4 went good and I'm sure they will continue to do good in that direction with their secret new game soon,
I think that they can afford to ALSO hire a sort of indie team that can resurrect X3 into new and exciting games.
Id love to do something like that myself I have an endless amount of inspiration and ideas of how games can be structurally, especially PvP and multiplayer coop and open world,
however, no dev or coding history/knowledge, and I'm sure there are many other people that would love to do the same.
X3 is amazing and it deserves more.

Edit: changed the title to better reflect what i think.
Credence follow stars.

Return to “X Trilogy Universe”