Ship Capture Guide: X2 Version 2 (Updated for 1.4)

General discussions about the games by Egosoft including X-BTF, XT, X², X³: Reunion, X³: Terran Conflict and X³: Albion Prelude.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

Shaf
Posts: 50
Joined: Sat, 15. Mar 08, 20:23

Post by Shaf » Sat, 15. Mar 08, 20:32

Hi!

First of all, thank you AL and every one else in this thread that has discussed and written lots of good things :)
But now i have a question...
Iv been playing X2 on Normal difficulty from the beginning having 2 working SPP's, about 1 milion CR and a total of 10 ships.
Im at the point where President's End have got invaded by the Khaak.
Yesterday i captured about 3-4 Pirate Ships with my Bayamon in about 1 hr. Today i havnt been able to capture a single ship :S Is the capping-rate depending on what difficulty im playing at? And might my low combat rank have anything to do with i cant capture as much as you can?
Im playing on V 1.4.
Thank you for your help!
Rookie X2 player

User avatar
adobis
Posts: 2105
Joined: Sun, 28. Oct 07, 20:22
x3tc

Post by adobis » Sat, 15. Mar 08, 21:37

yep for me, when i've put the difficulty at the highest level, my rate of cap ship as drop drastcly :!:
But i was in 1.2 and from then i played the game with a "lot of stuff" :twisted:
so i'm not sure, but i think it's the same ;)

And personnally i don't think the Disco is a good ship for capturing, i need a M4, i usually take a Mako, because i can buy it after the Mi Ton's mission because i sell the shields of the TP :D

It's a better reward than Elena's TS!

Shaf
Posts: 50
Joined: Sat, 15. Mar 08, 20:23

Post by Shaf » Sat, 15. Mar 08, 22:41

adobis wrote:yep for me, when i've put the difficulty at the highest level, my rate of cap ship as drop drastcly :!:
But i was in 1.2 and from then i played the game with a "lot of stuff" :twisted:
so i'm not sure, but i think it's the same ;)

And personnally i don't think the Disco is a good ship for capturing, i need a M4, i usually take a Mako, because i can buy it after the Mi Ton's mission because i sell the shields of the TP :D

It's a better reward than Elena's TS!
I got my Bayamon (which im currently using) when i was capping with my Disco. That capture went quite easy, but afterwards its up and down :P
Right now my SPP are making me some money, but it would be much more fun to do something more than just having SPP's :P
Thank you for your help!

Edit: Just read this on Argonopedia
"The difficulty setting only affects your starting cash and which upgrades you have on the ship you are given at the start of the game. It has no effect on combat difficulty, rewards, or anything else in the game."
Rookie X2 player

User avatar
adobis
Posts: 2105
Joined: Sun, 28. Oct 07, 20:22
x3tc

Post by adobis » Sun, 16. Mar 08, 00:11

Shaf wrote: Edit: Just read this on Argonopedia
"The difficulty setting only affects your starting cash and which upgrades you have on the ship you are given at the start of the game. It has no effect on combat difficulty, rewards, or anything else in the game."
Well i was maybe mistaking, and that's correct that i shoot like a psycho!!
However at the beginning i thought it was gonna be fun to cap ships but after having cap more than 500 ships it begins to be boring :D

That's there that i made a real company with about 90 factories and a lot of ideas and then my computer crashes and i've to begin from nothing :roll:

Well, if you wanna cap ships, you'll destroy a lot anyway so don't forget the Police license to get a little reward when you destroye ships ;)

Shaf
Posts: 50
Joined: Sat, 15. Mar 08, 20:23

Post by Shaf » Sun, 16. Mar 08, 00:26

adobis wrote:
Shaf wrote: Edit: Just read this on Argonopedia
"The difficulty setting only affects your starting cash and which upgrades you have on the ship you are given at the start of the game. It has no effect on combat difficulty, rewards, or anything else in the game."
Well i was maybe mistaking, and that's correct that i shoot like a psycho!!
However at the beginning i thought it was gonna be fun to cap ships but after having cap more than 500 ships it begins to be boring :D

That's there that i made a real company with about 90 factories and a lot of ideas and then my computer crashes and i've to begin from nothing :roll:

Well, if you wanna cap ships, you'll destroy a lot anyway so don't forget the Police license to get a little reward when you destroye ships ;)
Too bad hearing about your computer :(
Destroying ships with the IONS and low power lasers isnt quite fast...
And i dont know where to put the money i get from my SPP's as im fairly new to this game :headbang:
Thank you!
Rookie X2 player

pjknibbs
Posts: 29028
Joined: Wed, 6. Nov 02, 21:31
x4

Post by pjknibbs » Sun, 16. Mar 08, 08:41

Shaf wrote: Yesterday i captured about 3-4 Pirate Ships with my Bayamon in about 1 hr. Today i havnt been able to capture a single ship
Capturing is random. Random means you will often get periods when nobody seems to want to bail, or periods when you capture virtually every ship you go for--you just have to wait for the numbers to swing your way again.

Nightwatch
Posts: 454
Joined: Mon, 8. Mar 04, 23:32
x3tc

Post by Nightwatch » Sun, 16. Mar 08, 14:13

You can still make money from the situation. Have a ship (Manta would be good) travel behind you picking up all the loot the ships you blow up drops. I think there was a command to pick up look in X2, but I'm not sure at this stage.. Either way, pick up the look and sell it. Its free creditzzz.

User avatar
adobis
Posts: 2105
Joined: Sun, 28. Oct 07, 20:22
x3tc

Post by adobis » Sun, 16. Mar 08, 14:20

Nightwatch wrote:You can still make money from the situation. Have a ship (Manta would be good) travel behind you picking up all the loot the ships you blow up drops. I think there was a command to pick up look in X2, but I'm not sure at this stage.. Either way, pick up the look and sell it. Its free creditzzz.
My Nova had a cargo space capacity enough large, and when i had it nearly full, i jump to the closer dock and i sell all :)

q_mech
Posts: 1
Joined: Thu, 7. Feb 08, 01:20

Post by q_mech » Sat, 29. Mar 08, 04:03

Cool - thanks for the advice! I'm pretty new to this, but managed to capture three Pirate Ships so far in my Disco. I don't have a joystick so lasers are not much fun. I have found that a spread of ten Wasps fired quickly from any front quarter of a PS has a good chance of triggering a capture. They have to strike from the front/side so that the turret doesn't take them out. I've sold two and put one to work buying/selling power cells in The Wall.

User avatar
Spaceweed Adict
Posts: 2350
Joined: Wed, 10. Oct 07, 10:53
x3tc

Post by Spaceweed Adict » Sat, 29. Mar 08, 06:20

Cool - thanks for the advice! I'm pretty new to this, but managed to capture three Pirate Ships so far in my Disco. I don't have a joystick so lasers are not much fun. I have found that a spread of ten Wasps fired quickly from any front quarter of a PS has a good chance of triggering a capture. They have to strike from the front/side so that the turret doesn't take them out. I've sold two and put one to work buying/selling power cells in The Wall.
Yer as nibbs said capturing is just randum.
Give you a clue how many ships I've capped in this game.
I've got 196 pirate TS's working for me and my stats say I've captured 412 slaves :fg:
and thats on extremme :wink:

badboy8469
Posts: 4
Joined: Tue, 16. May 06, 16:14
x4

Post by badboy8469 » Mon, 9. Jun 08, 14:48

I have found that the fasted captures and highest probability of the pilot bailing is when you drain their sheilds and knock their hull down to 87% in one burst of fire. It seems to show them that you could kill them in an instant and they bail. If you have to work for a while to slowly chip away at them they seem way less likely to bail, however you dont always get a perfect line-up for an easy long burst. :P

Lord Asmodeus
Posts: 36
Joined: Tue, 16. Aug 05, 02:24
x2

Post by Lord Asmodeus » Wed, 10. Sep 08, 21:28

Nightwatch wrote:You can still make money from the situation. Have a ship (Manta would be good) travel behind you picking up all the loot the ships you blow up drops. I think there was a command to pick up look in X2, but I'm not sure at this stage.. Either way, pick up the look and sell it. Its free creditzzz.
I was just thinking about that, in another context. Khaaks come a lot in Ore Belt where I have two mines so there is always stuff drifting in space. Is there really a way to order a ship to loot ?
Fly or die

pjknibbs
Posts: 29028
Joined: Wed, 6. Nov 02, 21:31
x4

Post by pjknibbs » Wed, 10. Sep 08, 22:26

Just install Special Command software on a ship and check out the command console.

Lord Asmodeus
Posts: 36
Joined: Tue, 16. Aug 05, 02:24
x2

Post by Lord Asmodeus » Thu, 11. Sep 08, 02:15

Thanks, it works perfectly. I even use it with my own ship, while managing my empire after a battle :D
Fly or die

Al
Posts: 8706
Joined: Mon, 11. Nov 02, 11:26
x3tc

Post by Al » Thu, 11. Sep 08, 10:58

nice to see this thread is still going :)

I'll maybe even try and get a quide written for X3:TC (provided it runs on my system!) :D
X2 Capture Guru - X3:TC Noob :D
X2 Capture Guide

Post Reply

Return to “X Trilogy Universe”