Ship Capture Guide: X2 Version 2 (Updated for 1.4)

General discussions about the games by Egosoft including X-BTF, XT, X², X³: Reunion, X³: Terran Conflict and X³: Albion Prelude.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

Sirus5
x4

Post by Sirus5 » Wed, 28. Apr 04, 13:42

Some people say it's best to let the shields of your target fully recharge before blasting with Ion-Disruptors again, is this true?
I don't have a lot of experience in X2 (Captured the Perseus in X-T though). I have thus far captured about 10 Orinocos and around 10 Bayamons in X2 and am about 27 hours into the game. I haven't yet done mission 2.

However, I have tried both ways with ION Disruptors, and I don't think it matters which way you do it. I personally like to keep on their 6 and vary it, sometimes I hit them every few seconds and then sometimes I wait until they have around half shields.

Funny thing is, when I go in all angry and hot headed, twisting like mad and hitting them quick, they seem to bail much quicker - I am sure they can sense that I mean business! I have also tried growling like a mad dog when firing the first few shots and that seems to have 100% success rate (just joking, but you get the idea of how I go in sometimes).

Jha'dur
x2

Post by Jha'dur » Thu, 29. Apr 04, 19:34

I just thought of something, don't know if this has been looked at (probably has, but I haven't seen it).

If you use something small to get the hull down to 87%, fx an AIRE, instead of just a few shots of a GPAC, the ship will have taken a lot more shots before they reach 87%. Will they then bail faster once the hull is down to 87? I was thinking along the lines of a buildup of bail-probability or somesuch.

Am I totally off track? Yeah, probably, but I thought I should bring it up just in case.
+++ Divide By Cucumber Error. Please Reinstall Universe And Reboot +++

Jha'dur
x2

Post by Jha'dur » Tue, 11. May 04, 02:58

Another thing, don't know if it's been mentioned, but I've found that sometimes I can reack the Freight Beamer-menu before the bailing pilots scraps most (all) of the ships equipment. I'ts been a while since I first saw this, but today I manage to nab three (of 7) fighter-drones in the splitsecond before all the stuff disappeared.

kinein
x2

Post by kinein » Sat, 15. May 04, 11:18

how often do they decide to bail. I've basically restarted the game entirely 4 times and so far have not passed brennan's triumph nor captured a ship. Right now trying to capture Pirate Bayamon's. Brought them past 87% but nothings been happening. Is it a percentage chance that they'll react? There's always 2 together. Should i kill the first one then try to capture the second one?

gorgor
x2

Post by gorgor » Sat, 15. May 04, 14:21

Great guide Al.

I have been playing for a while now and got my first M2, a Titan. I have been hooning around the universe looking for things to do with it, and I came up with this idea:

Capitol Capping for Capitol Gain.

- I flew up to a Pirate base and wiped out the Lasertowers from 4.5km away with the GPPCs.
- I hit the base a bit to unleash the horets nest of ships.
- I then removed all of the Titans gun and install Ion Ds in the Front, Left and Right turrets (the others wont accept them.)
- Next I dropped out in my Nova and use 2 Mass Drivers to reduce the hulls to less than 87%.
- Lastly I pooped back onto the Bridge of the Titan and turned the Turret on and let the 9 Ion Ds do their thing.

I got a Pirate ship, Orinoco, Bayamon and two Mandalays in about 30 mins. I could have got more, but it was late.

I did have to chace some ships down as they seamed to loose interest in me, perhaps because i was not hurting them. Next time it will try having each of the three turrets with 1 Alpha IRE and 2 Ion Ds.

The other hassle was that I ran into many ships even though I was going slowly.

Gersh
Gorcorp Power 'Power to the people'

Firesky1
x3

Post by Firesky1 » Sat, 15. May 04, 14:52

With my SSP's and my factory's running smooth and credits coming in, thought it be nice to invest in a loaded nova and get the blood flowing with some pirate ship capturing. Well I did just that, Started up my Nova, left my home base, and came to a screaching halt. it's a huge universe out there...and as a newbie I had little idea where to start or what to do once I encountered my first pirate ship.....I join the long line of others in this forum to THANK YOU for your time and effort on a great Guide Al.

ErosA433
x2

Post by ErosA433 » Sat, 15. May 04, 16:14

Iv just switched to using A-PSG's on a captured Orinoco.

in X-T i always wanted some Xenon ships and capturing ships on that game was almost impossible (well alot harder than on X2 i think personally)
anways - i found the best place for this is the sector Black Hole Sun. I cant count the number of Xenon N's and M's iv captured being as there is a constant flow of ships from the neighbouring Xenon sector tot he north. maybe its only in my game, but still... after selling them all i have an L M and N for my private collection :)

I did buy myself B-PSG's but im going to sell them, the energy drain stops you inflicting damage when you need to the most.

PSG's are great for capturing in my experience.

trix66
x2

Post by trix66 » Thu, 20. May 04, 18:52

cheers Al. I now own a nicely repaired bayamon

Al
x3tc

Post by Al » Thu, 20. May 04, 18:58

Glad it helped. :)
As always any suggestions or things you would like clarified, just say.

Al
X2 Capture Guru - X3:TC Noob :D
X2 Capture Guide

Jha'dur
x2

Post by Jha'dur » Thu, 20. May 04, 19:15

I'm still wondering about this.
Jha'dur wrote:Another thing, don't know if it's been mentioned, but I've found that sometimes I can reack the Freight Beamer-menu before the bailing pilots scraps most (all) of the ships equipment. I'ts been a while since I first saw this, but today I manage to nab three (of 7) fighter-drones in the splitsecond before all the stuff disappeared.
Have done this several more times, but maybe I just grab some drones that wouldn't have been destroyed anyway, and you can only manage to take the stuff at the top of the freight-menu. But it still intrigues me that I can see all the gear for half a second after the bail.

Al
x3tc

Post by Al » Thu, 20. May 04, 19:23

Well I just wait and see what fate leaves me.

Al
X2 Capture Guide

Jha'dur
x2

Post by Jha'dur » Thu, 20. May 04, 19:30

Sometimes fate neds a hand. And I was just wondering if there was some reward for being faster than the bailing pilot.

Al
x3tc

Post by Al » Thu, 20. May 04, 19:31

:lol:

Not my style but I do like it :D

Al
X2 Capture Guide

(/\)arped
x4

Post by (/\)arped » Thu, 20. May 04, 19:32

87%...

I'll have to remeber that.

I use a similar way to capping as your guide AI, and it works for me pretty damn well. (Honest I didn't read your guide first!) I capped a boron m3 with max weapons and shields the other day. If that's not lucky, tell me what is!

Al
x3tc

Post by Al » Thu, 20. May 04, 19:34

Yeah you get the odd gem in amongst the rest. Had a few Orinocos with weapons and shields and maybe a Xenon L.

87 is a very good number to remember but if you are mass capturing, say from a pirate base or Xenon transport mission, dont be too fussy about getting it bang on. Anything below will do.

Al
X2 Capture Guide

Return to “X Trilogy Universe”