Blind Trader Coming Back Again

General discussions about the games by Egosoft including X-BTF, XT, X², X³: Reunion, X³: Terran Conflict and X³: Albion Prelude.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

CaplinCaplin
x3ap

Blind Trader Coming Back Again

Post by CaplinCaplin » Mon, 27. Jul 20, 16:06

Hey All,

I just wanted to write as I've decided to pop back in and give the X games another try. As a totally blind player it's occasionally rather difficult, but I have a secret weapon at my disposal this time around, a way to read the selected menu item. This might sound trivial, but it definitely was the source of a lot of my frustrations with X3 previously.

Thanks to some excellent advice from another site, I have a shortcut which will oCR and give me the current menu selection. It's still OCR so of course not guaranteed to be perfect, but it does work most of the time i've tried thus far.

I'm looking forward to diving back in and actually seeing if I can make it reasonably far in this time. :)

Alan Phipps
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Re: Blind Trader Coming Back Again

Post by Alan Phipps » Mon, 27. Jul 20, 17:42

I hope it all goes well for you. Please let us know how you get on. Good luck.
A dog has a master; a cat has domestic staff.

CaplinCaplin
x3ap

Post by CaplinCaplin » Tue, 28. Jul 20, 23:44

Thus far I'm mostly just focused on getting used to the UI again and trying out my new menu reading script. It's not perfect, but I'm happy to be able to more or less have an idea of where I am, especially in the menus which wrap around.

I'm doing the Argon Patriot start just for a change of pace, collecting missiles and such slowly. I'm kind of curious how well the stock exchange will work once I get enough money to afford it. I'm trying to avoid pissing off the terans or accidentlaly ending up in a dogfight I can't survive, though it's kind of hard to tell what's happening on occasion. I presume that if I don't hear parts blowing up on my ship, I'm doing okay :)

It's good to be back. I wish I had a better way to access this that didn't require OCR, but so it goes.

Arne69

Post by Arne69 » Mon, 3. Aug 20, 17:10

You will want the best scanner there is, the triplex scanner, for your ship as soon as possible as you are totally dependent on the scanner to spot things for you. Safe dockings out there!

CaplinCaplin
x3ap

Post by CaplinCaplin » Mon, 3. Aug 20, 19:33

Thanks. :)

I'm going to definitely try to get one of those again soonest. I could probably just cheat one in, but I'd rather not do that if I can avoid it. :)

My biggest concern is no easy way to do missions, short of talking to every station and ship in sight and checking if they have an extra option in their menus. :) I hope someday to be able to mod the mission generation somehow to make it a little easier to find them, but am not quite sure how to do that at this point.

Aside from the problems of manual flight and unnecessary tedium, I'm actually rather pleased at the current state of the game's accessibility. I wish I had more of an idea of how the visuals looked, just out of interest :)

Alan Phipps
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Post by Alan Phipps » Mon, 3. Aug 20, 19:40

Could you not, for a time at least, have a friend or partner give you a verbal description while you are playing? They might even find it fun, almost a team effort.
A dog has a master; a cat has domestic staff.

Return to “X Trilogy Universe”