[X2] Im looking for some challenges!

General discussions about the games by Egosoft including X-BTF, XT, X², X³: Reunion, X³: Terran Conflict and X³: Albion Prelude.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

Jimmyjamjohnson42
x4

Re: [X2] Im looking for some challenges!

Post by Jimmyjamjohnson42 » Fri, 8. May 20, 12:47

jlehtone wrote:
Fri, 1. May 20, 22:25
M4 Pirate Bayamon: aIRE, bIRE, gIRE, aPAC, bPAC, IonD, and aPSG.
The real twist is that it has four mount-points for guns. Perseus and Octopus have three and other fighters have at most two.

IonD+HEPT is for Nova, unless you go with MD.

Another challenge (unless already done): gather enough Gunnery Crews to man the turrets of Osprey and M2. Those Military Transports are elusive.
What do the gunnery crews do? i have never had enough money to get that mostly because i forgot about it. What should i look to for a sector patrol?
I play X2 a lot, possibly too much.
800 hours and counting :P

jlehtone
x4

Post by jlehtone » Fri, 8. May 20, 13:17

Jimmyjamjohnson42 wrote:
Fri, 8. May 20, 12:47
What do the gunnery crews do? i have never had enough money to get that mostly because i forgot about it.
From viewtopic.php?t=71484
Is the AEGIS upgrade required in order to use gunnery crews?
No. The "Gunnery Crews: Action Stations" command, which is the main gunnery crews command, is available without buying any upgrade. All that is needed are enough crew.
The AEGIS upgrade will make the "Action Stations" command more efficient at shooting down fighters, but will have little effect when in combat against a capital ship.

Isn't the AEGIS Weapon System upgrade a little expensive?
As mentioned above, it's not required in order to use gunnery crew. It's an optional component. It makes your ship better able to engage large numbers of fighters and shoot down incoming missiles (see the next question & answer). It will make a Titan about twice as effective against fighters.

What exactly does AEGIS give me?
  • Without AEGIS, gunnery crews pick the player ship's target, and the turret can't shoot that, then pick whatever target comes up. With AEGIS, a turret prioritizes all the targets it could possibly shoot at and picks the one that is the highest threat.
  • Without AEGIS a turret will shoot down incoming missiles whenever it is not engaging a ship. That is, whenever it looks for a new target, it will first shoot down any missiles it sees. With AEGIS, a turret gets the ability to interrupt an engagement against a ship whenever it sees a dangerous missile (dangerous is defined as any missile powerful enough to reduce the ship's current shield levels by 5% or more), shoot it down, then resume engaging the ship immediately.
  • Without AEGIS, turrets essentially work independantly of each other. They will all first try to attack the ship's overall target, but after that, they work alone. With AEGIS, the turrets will coordinate with each other. Two turrets will avoid engaging the same M4/M5 target, but will work together to attack the same M3/M2/M1. Thus, fire is concentrated when attacking difficult targets, and spread out when attacking easy ones.
  • Without AEGIS, turrets track (turn) at the speed of whatever weapon is mounted in them. With AEGIS, the lightest weapon that a turret can mount is switched to when the turret is tracking, thus cutting down tracking time by up to 1000%.
How do I get crew?
There will be passenger transports flying through Argon space carrying Military Personnel. Follow them. Once they land, some of their passengers will be available as the "Military Personnel" ware on the station. You can then buy (hire) them.
Goner Pancake Protector X
Insanity included at no extra charge.
There is no Box. I am the sand.

Jimmyjamjohnson42
x4

Post by Jimmyjamjohnson42 » Fri, 8. May 20, 13:35

Oh i see. Thanks for the link.
I play X2 a lot, possibly too much.
800 hours and counting :P

jlehtone
x4

Post by jlehtone » Fri, 8. May 20, 13:55

Jimmyjamjohnson42 wrote:
Fri, 8. May 20, 12:47
What should i look to for a sector patrol?
Pirates can harass traders. Kha'ak do spawn everywhere and do attack traders.

Sector patrols are a pre-emptive measure. Ideally, they wipe out hostiles before hostiles reach soft targets.

You can save money and set patrol to cover multiple sectors, but then it takes longer before patrol visits particular sector.
You can save money by buying less or cheaper ships, but they do not survive so well. I.e. they are more expensive.

Osprey survives well, but it is slow to catch up with the foes.
Dragon is fast, but quickly dead against group of enemies.
Goner Pancake Protector X
Insanity included at no extra charge.
There is no Box. I am the sand.

Return to “X Trilogy Universe”