AI Combat and Understanding it

General discussions about the games by Egosoft including X-BTF, XT, X², X³: Reunion, X³: Terran Conflict and X³: Albion Prelude.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

CaplinCaplin
x3ap

AI Combat and Understanding it

Post by CaplinCaplin » Mon, 4. Feb 19, 03:20

Hi All,

I was playing around a bit earlier today and ended up in Elena's Fortune and points beyond. I ran into what seemed to be a small battle going on, though it didn't appear to involve me. I can't see what's happening on the visual HUD, so had no idea who was firing at whom, if anyone won, etc.

Is this information available in a message log anywhere? If not, could I possibly create a log without pulling back the curtain on the AI too much? I'd just love a way to experience as much of what's going on as possible without overwhelming myself in information. :)

Thanks for any thoughts.

Cycrow
Moderator (Script&Mod)
Moderator (Script&Mod)
x4

Re: AI Combat and Understanding it

Post by Cycrow » Mon, 4. Feb 19, 10:52

The battle was most likely with a pirate group attacking the sector, or a skirmish between warring races.
These kind of things happen all over the universe, regardless of where the player is.

The skirmishes are usually between Argon and Paranid, or Split and Boron.

Elena's Fortune is right on the border of pirate space, as well as pretty close to Paranid, so it could have been either

orangenee
x3ap

Post by orangenee » Tue, 5. Feb 19, 00:13

No harm in taking a closer look next time.

Paranid and Argon don't get on, Boron and Split don't get on. Teladi don't care to be involved outside of profiteering, though they will shoot at more rowdy pirates and always Xenon.

A fun thing to do once you get into late game with your own fleet(s) is go annoy the Xenon and trigger some mass migrations.

More fun can be had by connecting core sectors through the hub of opposing factions, has the bonus of lots of loot to scoop up too.

CaplinCaplin
x3ap

Post by CaplinCaplin » Tue, 5. Feb 19, 00:22

THanks. :)

I'll try to poke around a bit next time and see if I can figure out what's happening. Is there a maximum range at which audio is played, or will it happen regardless of where I am in sector?

orangenee
x3ap

Post by orangenee » Tue, 5. Feb 19, 01:16

You'll see it before you hear it usually, look for flashes of weapon fire. You'll have noticed it's not an overly audio heavy game.....aside from the lovely Betty of course.

Grand Exchange is a hotspot for action, I've armed a few M2s by looting after hanging around that place for a while.

CaplinCaplin
x3ap

Post by CaplinCaplin » Tue, 5. Feb 19, 01:19

Guess it wasn't entirely clear, but I'm totally blind and playing this game via a combination of audio cues, optical character recognition, and a couple scripts.

So no, I won't see it I'm afraid :) THough I'm told the visuals are stunning.

orangenee
x3ap

Post by orangenee » Tue, 5. Feb 19, 03:05

Oh you're the chap from further down the page on the forum., sorry, didn't recognise the name.

I'm most of the way deaf in one ear, sadly due to Win 10 tomfoolery I can no longer hear much through the laptop speakers as an update killed my proper sound drivers so the sound quality is basically really quiet.

I don't like using the headphones as then I can't hear the TV as quite frankly the game doesn't command my attention that much usually. So I'm kind of opposite to yourself.

I'm not sure how your setup works, so can't guide you on who's doing what to whom. In any case, betty is usually the noisiest thing in the game so you probably use her to determine what's what.

Red-Spot
x3ap

Post by Red-Spot » Tue, 5. Feb 19, 23:32

Hey Caplin, there might be a possibility to give you some info, but you'd need a willing scripter to help you.

You can keep track of ships destroyed, timestamp it and see who killed who. Present that in intervals to you via message. Still would not tell the whole story (who won?, who started it?) but it would tell you how many skirmishes there have been and how many ships where destroyed per side. Finding the scripter might be harder than coding it though :D
'Ignoramus et ignorabimus'

CaplinCaplin
x3ap

Post by CaplinCaplin » Tue, 5. Feb 19, 23:59

Glad to know this isn't totally improbable at least. :)

At the moment I'm struggling to figure out a solution for my own combat which isn't "let the autopilot handle it," so maybe this would be a back burner project at best. :)

Still, scripting seems powerful enough.

Red-Spot
x3ap

Post by Red-Spot » Wed, 6. Feb 19, 21:08

Do have to say you impress me Caplin. If any one ever had told me a blind person would be playing this game I probably would not have believed them :)

Hope you find ways to enjoy this game as much as the next person!
'Ignoramus et ignorabimus'

Gandalf The White
x3

Post by Gandalf The White » Thu, 14. Feb 19, 13:04

and here's another one who plays it. got just under 700k credits. here's hoping that i can use the factory screens. i can't remember the layout of them or the defaults.
some who deserve life receive death. Others who deserve death receive life. Can you give it to them? Don't be eager to deal out death in judgement, for not even the wise can see all ends.

Return to “X Trilogy Universe”