[X2] How to use my front turrets

General discussions about the games by Egosoft including X-BTF, XT, X², X³: Reunion, X³: Terran Conflict and X³: Albion Prelude.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

Fedora
x4

[X2] How to use my front turrets

Post by Fedora » Sun, 23. Dec 18, 10:59

Hi all, new here, i'm playing x2 after getting tired of Elite Dangerous (i can't get into x3 because of the cockpits).
So i just got my first M6 after some factory profit (split dragon) and i don't really understand how my front turrets work. Seems like the only ones that are shooting by themselves are the ones at the back. I've seen somewhere in this forum that front turrets will not fire by themselves unless you are in OOSD. I've also read OOSD means "outside the sector defense" which i guess it involves sending your ship to fight by itself but i'm using it as my personal ship, how can i make use of my turrets then? I'm confused.

X2-Illuminatus
Moderator (Deutsch)
Moderator (Deutsch)
x4

Re: [X2] How to use my front turrets

Post by X2-Illuminatus » Sun, 23. Dec 18, 12:01

In X2 M6 class ships have front weapons, which you can fire yourself when you're sitting in the cockpit (provided you have weapons installed).
Nun verfügbar! X3: Farnham's Legacy - Ein neues Kapitel für einen alten Favoriten

Die komplette X-Roman-Reihe jetzt als Kindle E-Books! (Farnhams Legende, Nopileos, X3: Yoshiko, X3: Hüter der Tore, X3: Wächter der Erde)

Neuauflage der fünf X-Romane als Taschenbuch

The official X-novels Farnham's Legend, Nopileos, X3: Yoshiko as Kindle e-books!

Fedora
x4

Post by Fedora » Sun, 23. Dec 18, 12:23

X2-Illuminatus wrote:
Sun, 23. Dec 18, 12:01
In X2 M6 class ships have front weapons, which you can fire yourself when you're sitting in the cockpit (provided you have weapons installed and the correct weapon group selected).
So i only have one front weapon then? that seems like a downgrade from my nova...

X2-Illuminatus
Moderator (Deutsch)
Moderator (Deutsch)
x4

Post by X2-Illuminatus » Sun, 23. Dec 18, 12:24

What ship are you flying?
Nun verfügbar! X3: Farnham's Legacy - Ein neues Kapitel für einen alten Favoriten

Die komplette X-Roman-Reihe jetzt als Kindle E-Books! (Farnhams Legende, Nopileos, X3: Yoshiko, X3: Hüter der Tore, X3: Wächter der Erde)

Neuauflage der fünf X-Romane als Taschenbuch

The official X-novels Farnham's Legend, Nopileos, X3: Yoshiko as Kindle e-books!

Alan Phipps
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Post by Alan Phipps » Sun, 23. Dec 18, 13:02

If still using the Split Dragon then while it has just the one frontal cockpit weapon slot, it can take a much heavier weapon type than the Nova with its two frontal light gun slots, and then the Dragon has two dual gun turrets compared to the Nova's single one gun turret. Different ships for different purposes.
A dog has a master; a cat has domestic staff.

Fedora
x4

Post by Fedora » Sun, 23. Dec 18, 13:46

X2-Illuminatus wrote:
Sun, 23. Dec 18, 12:24
What ship are you flying?
Split Dragon.
Alan Phipps wrote:
Sun, 23. Dec 18, 13:02
If still using the Split Dragon then while it has just the one frontal cockpit weapon slot, it can take a much heavier weapon type than the Nova with its two frontal light gun slots, and then the Dragon has two dual gun turrets compared to the Nova's single one gun turret. Different ships for different purposes.
Yeah, i guess ill have to get used to it.

jlehtone
x4

Post by jlehtone » Sun, 23. Dec 18, 14:13

Yes, the Dragon is rather unique in gun layout. The single front hardpoint is of little importance. The two back turrets give you four gamma HEPTs on target, if you position your ship correctly. The gHEPT is very effective at damaging hull.

Dragon is fast. It is feasible to fly in front of enemy and let your turrets do their work. You can strafe to dodge some fire. If you take hits, you can outrun your foe to recharge shields.

Killing M2 or particularly M1 with Dragon requires some fancier flying.

Gunnery Crews (from Bonuspack) make your turrets a bit smarter/effective, even though they are mainly for the Capitals.
Goner Pancake Protector X
Insanity included at no extra charge.
There is no Box. I am the sand.

fig
x2

Post by fig » Sun, 30. Dec 18, 23:24

Gunnery Crews (from Bonuspack) make your turrets a bit smarter/effective, even though they are mainly for the Capitals.
It's a bit annoying how the small number of crew on each transport ship literally only hang around at the destination for a couple of seconds. You have to make sure you have a ship docked with free cargo space before the crew transport docks. You then have to wait for it to dock, all the while watching the station trade menu with an eagle eye. As soon as the crew appears, you need to buy them immediately. You may have to repeat the process several times to get enough crew to man the guns. Finally, you'll have to transfer the crew over to your M6 and activate the "Gunnery crews: Action stations" command for the turrets. It's worth all the effort though, the gunnery crews improve the effectiveness of the ships' turrets considerably.

Return to “X Trilogy Universe”