X2: conquer Xenon sector?

General discussions about the games by Egosoft including X-BTF, XT, X², X³: Reunion, X³: Terran Conflict and X³: Albion Prelude.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

HashtagMC
x3

X2: conquer Xenon sector?

Post by HashtagMC » Thu, 6. Dec 18, 00:48

So I recently picked up X2 again and started a new save. Didn't feel like playing campaign much, so I turned on the Script Editor, gave myself a few gazillon credits and started building a lil fleet to have fun with. After sending some ships out to explore the map for me, I stumbled across Xenon Sector 347 and decided that'd be the ideal target to wipe out and use for my own purposes. Assembled my fleet - 4 destroyers and 10 corvettes, armed to the teeth - and sent them in to destroy all enemies, assuming that would be more than enough firepower to kick the Xenon's cybertronical behinds.

Turned out I was wrong, my fleet had their arses handed to them and was destroyed within under a minute.

The first issue I ran into was getting my ships into said sector. I'd sent the destroyers first, hoping for a somewhat orderly queue, but instead my M6 overtook the destroyers en route to the jumpgate, causing quite the intergalactic traffic jam. Of course the corvettes stood no chance against the Xenon's capital ship(s?) and by the time the destroyers arrived one by one, the entire Xenon fleet had gathered at the gate and blew them to pieces.

So I wondered, anybody else done this before? I contemplated flying in with a fast ship, an Octopus or something, and luring the fleet to the Western Gate while my own (new) fleet (which I have to assemble first) gathers at the Northern, thus giving my ships enough time to enter the sector while I distract the Xenon, then destroying the fleet and subsequently the base. But I'm still unsure about the amount of ships necessary to perform such a feat and I just realised the possibility of the ships or station respawning, which would ruin the entire plan of turning the sector into my own. I already have TL ships standing by to deliver stations and I'd be rather pissed if I had to look for another sector (are there even empty sectors?) to colonise.
My scripts' t-files use the namespace xx11xx (e.g 491101, 441101, ... )

jlehtone
x4

Re: X2: conquer Xenon sector?

Post by jlehtone » Thu, 6. Dec 18, 01:13

HashtagMC wrote:
Thu, 6. Dec 18, 00:48
So I wondered, anybody else done this before?
Perhaps not exactly that, but yes, they have. At least with one ship. Fleet is less effective.
HashtagMC wrote:
I contemplated flying in with a fast ship, an Octopus or something, and luring the fleet to the Western Gate while my own (new) fleet (which I have to assemble first) gathers at the Northern, thus giving my ships enough time to enter the sector while I distract the Xenon
You can test that idea. See, if you can lure them. If yes, then assemble fleet and lure for real.
HashtagMC wrote:
I just realised the possibility of the ships or station respawning, which would ruin the entire plan of turning the sector into my own.
The Xenon have Shipyard (SY) in one sector. If any sector loses ships, then the SY sends replacements. Those fly from the SY to the Xenon sector that is short on ships. It might take a while though (and many attempts), for faction fleets tend to attack such "bypassers".

"Government buildings" (SY, Equipment/Trade Docks, and Xenon stations) do respawn after some time, say 72 hours.
Goner Pancake Protector X
Insanity included at no extra charge.
There is no Box. I am the sand.

HashtagMC
x3

Post by HashtagMC » Thu, 6. Dec 18, 02:15

jlehtone wrote:
Thu, 6. Dec 18, 01:13
"Government buildings" (SY, Equipment/Trade Docks, and Xenon stations) do respawn after some time, say 72 hours.
oh fie... i just tried the above idea and failed spectacularly... i sent in 9 fully equipped Pythons, lost 3 before two ships autopilots crashed them into one another and I died. the luring didn't really work out... i'm now contemplating writing a script that will line them up in front of the gate and fly them in one after another before making them pick out the capital ships one by one...

PS: I might try ion distruptors and/or shockwave generators tho
PPS: I just tried attacking from both gates but still failed and lost about 24 ships in the process... it seems unless I use scripting to beam my entire fleet into the sector, far away from the Xenon ships, this mission is doomed.

Bill Huntington
x3tc

Xenon sectors

Post by Bill Huntington » Thu, 6. Dec 18, 03:37

Xenon Sectors

I haven't played X2 but Egosoft has kept the Xenon almost the same through the series.

Yes, the lure away from the gate works just fine.

X347 doesn't have a SY. Replacement Capitals usually come from the X sector near BHS. They'll spawn and return until the sector has its usual quota of Capitals. Also the smaller Xenon continue to spawn in X347. And they never stop spawning.

In TC there is one sector where the Xenon don't spawn again if you clear the SY there and all the ships. That's the one near BHS and Thynn's Abyss. You really can build your own structures there and hold the sector. The Capitals will spawn in X Core 023 and journey back there but they won't spawn in the sector. There a long rebuild time but the SY will respawn. Not a big deal. Just kill it again, before it rebuilds the full sector quota of Xenon ships. And you can't block the respawn by building your structure on top of the site of the SY. The no-spawn thing can change in some circumstances but not in a straight forward sector invasion and occupation.
Bill in S.F., enjoying the game

jlehtone
x4

Re: Xenon sectors

Post by jlehtone » Thu, 6. Dec 18, 15:06

Bill Huntington wrote:
Thu, 6. Dec 18, 03:37
I haven't played X2 but Egosoft has kept the Xenon almost the same through the series.
Almost, but not quite, entirely unlike ...

X3R had no reinforcement migration at all. The Xenon did spawn directly in the Xenon sectors. However, you could get some Xenon sectors empty and they would stay empty (of ships) because the entire Xenon population did fit into the remaining sectors.

Overall, a ship might be running a command. If it does, it won't start following you. Not, unless interrupted.
Xenon probably run "attack all enemies". If they already chase a foe, they will keep doing so until the foe is no more.
Being under attack, taking some damage, does interrupt current activity and the ship will target and attack its new assailant.

In other words, if you are the only blue ship in Xenon sector, then Xenon should start to follow you. If there are NPC, then you have to grab the attention.

X2 Bonuspack has AEGIS / Gunnery Crews. That can make turrets significantly smarter. The Xenon Capitals use it.

AEGIS has "Fire Wasp at every nearby enemy" command. Wasp is weak, but it gets attention of the targets. They will react and beeline for you. That is one way to lure.

Pirate M4 can kill any Xenon (PSG). Argon M3 Nova can too (IonD or MD). Teladi M6 Osprey can solo a Xenon sector with ease (I got killed due to boredom). Then there is Paranid M2 Odysseus. I once parked Oddy outside of Xenon SY and went for coffee; all lauching Xenon fighters simply vaporized.

HashtagMC
x3

Re: Xenon sectors

Post by HashtagMC » Thu, 6. Dec 18, 20:19

jlehtone wrote:
Thu, 6. Dec 18, 15:06
X2 Bonuspack has AEGIS / Gunnery Crews. That can make turrets significantly smarter. The Xenon Capitals use it.

AEGIS has "Fire Wasp at every nearby enemy" command. Wasp is weak, but it gets attention of the targets. They will react and beeline for you. That is one way to lure.

Pirate M4 can kill any Xenon (PSG). Argon M3 Nova can too (IonD or MD). Teladi M6 Osprey can solo a Xenon sector with ease (I got killed due to boredom).
Huh. I've never worked with AEGIS or GC before, might try that. I flew an IonD-equipped Boron M4 into the sector but failed to maintain fire at targets long enough to damage their hardware. Considered PSG, too, but I've yet to figure out which ship would be the best to equip with one.
jlehtone wrote:
Thu, 6. Dec 18, 15:06
Then there is Paranid M2 Odysseus. I once parked Oddy outside of Xenon SY and went for coffee; all lauching Xenon fighters simply vaporized.
The issue is the capital ships - the fighters would be easy to get rid of, but the 4 or 5 Xenon M2 plus a handful of M1 get me every time. Even siccing 3 fully armed Split M2 at a single Xenon M1 failed to damage the enemy ship.

jlehtone
x4

Post by jlehtone » Fri, 7. Dec 18, 17:25

AI | auto-pilot | auto-pillock | gerbil is notorious. We don't blame it much, when its shortcomings in the red or blue ships let the human pilot save the day. However, we Terrans are curiously sensitive when the very same (total lack of) intelligence manifests itself in the green ships.

In other words, waging war alone requires skill and bravery, but sending a fleet truly tests your courage and stamina. It is a challenge of entire different level.

Split Python has only two guns on its front turret. One less than any other M2. It has also less shields than other M2. It has speed, but Xenon K can have more. Simply put, that is the worst feature combo in AI control.

You want M2 to bring front, side, and top turrets on same (Capital) target. Should be doable on most M2. 9 guns on target (Python gets just 8 ). Doable, as in "you can do it", but do not expect auto-pilot to achieve that, except momentarily and accidentally.

You could try M1. For example, Split Raptor with 150 Argon Novas. The Novas do the fighting. Xenon K does not have speed advantage, because it slows down to shoot at enemies.

Teladi M6 Osprey mounts PSG. Paranid M2 Odysseus mounts PSG.

EDIT:
Had to test myself. Did load the latest X2 save I have (from Spring 2006). Had mostly forgotten the keys/UI. Did jump to X347 North with Dragon. Harassed the at the Gate Xenon enough to pull them (they were attacking NPC traders). Once Gate was clear, called in Odysseus, jumped back to Gate, swapped into Oddy, and told the Dragon to jump out.

Proceeded to take out 6 K, 3 J, and the Station. It was quicker than I did remember. Most died on gPPC fire, before we even got into gPSG range. On taking two Ks simultaneously my shields did drop to about 60%. Most one on ones made only a 3% dent.

One OP personal ship is obviously not a "fleet to have fun with".

Return to “X Trilogy Universe”