Back to the X universe, 11 years later

General discussions about the games by Egosoft including X-BTF, XT, X², X³: Reunion, X³: Terran Conflict and X³: Albion Prelude.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

modernrocko
x3tc

Back to the X universe, 11 years later

Post by modernrocko » Sun, 15. Apr 18, 06:22

Man, it's been awhile. The last time I played an X game was 2007/2008 or so, when I was still horribly addicted to X3:Reunion. I guess it's time to start the addiction back up. I just bought the Terran War pack on Steam. The only experience I have with the X series is Reunion and man, I loved that game. I don't want to just start up another Reunion playthrough, because I know I'll wind up building a huge trading organization again and while that's awesome, I think it's time I try some of the newer iterations first.

Should I start with Terran War or Albion Prelude? I was thinking of just diving straight into AP. Is that a mistake?

I'll be honest, I'm not really here for the story. It's interesting, but it's not the draw for me. I'm mostly fascinated by building up large fleets and taking financial control of sectors to amass a fortune.

Relatedly, I remember the necessity of installing countless trader and AI scripts in Reunion. Is that still required for ease of operations when you've got a lot of UT's and ST's, or have some of those processes been streamlined with TW and AP? Anything else I should know before I dive in? Waiting for Steam to finish downloading. It's after midnight here already, and I just know it's going to be a long night once the downloads finish... 8)

Anyway. It's good to be back. Advice and such for a returning Reunion veteran would be appreciated, even if it's just beginning tips on which sectors to head for first. :wink:

DrSuperEvil
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Post by DrSuperEvil » Sun, 15. Apr 18, 08:18

TC is an easier introduction to the new mechanics while AP is tough as nails but has more ship types.

STs and UTs seem pretty good without additional scripts.

Unless you go the Terran Commander or Argon patriot starting scenarios you should head for Omicron Lyrae since the war sectros always have high value missiles to salvage for starting capital.

Other tips are to cap TS ships belonging to pirates in Merchant Haven and start training 60 marines as soon as you have the spare credits in preparation for Xenon boarding.

Alan Phipps
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Post by Alan Phipps » Sun, 15. Apr 18, 11:07

Hi. Some similar advice threads and search tools are linked here and here. Just to aim off, if you later want to go on to discuss suitable/recommended mods and scripts then please do so in the S&M forum.
A dog has a master; a cat has domestic staff.

Timsup2nothin

Post by Timsup2nothin » Sun, 15. Apr 18, 23:13

The only trade scripts I've ever felt a need for are included in the bonus pack. I'd install that.
Trapper Tim's Guide to CLS 2

On Her Majesty's Secret Service-Dead is Dead, and he is DEAD

Not a DiD, so I guess it's a DiDn't, the story of my first try at AP
Part One, in progress

HEY! AP!! That's new!!!

modernrocko
x3tc

Post by modernrocko » Sun, 15. Apr 18, 23:44

Alan Phipps wrote:Hi. Some similar advice threads and search tools are linked here and here. Just to aim off, if you later want to go on to discuss suitable/recommended mods and scripts then please do so in the S&M forum.
Understood. Sorry for spamming up the forums, I guess in my excitement for returning to the X3 universe I overlooked the forum's search features and went straight to the New Topic button. I'll refrain from creating new threads in the future, didn't mean to overstep. You can close/delete this if you like.

Timsup2nothin

Post by Timsup2nothin » Mon, 16. Apr 18, 02:34

modernrocko wrote:
Alan Phipps wrote:Hi. Some similar advice threads and search tools are linked here and here. Just to aim off, if you later want to go on to discuss suitable/recommended mods and scripts then please do so in the S&M forum.
Understood. Sorry for spamming up the forums, I guess in my excitement for returning to the X3 universe I overlooked the forum's search features and went straight to the New Topic button. I'll refrain from creating new threads in the future, didn't mean to overstep. You can close/delete this if you like.
I think that was more a "here's some good info on topic" rather than a "don't open new threads." Many people open a "I'm new" type thread and use it to ask a wide range of questions that come up as they hit the learning curve. Generally that is considered better than opening a new thread for every question that comes up, because there are usually a lot of questions.

Part One, in progress

HEY! AP!! That's new!!!

Alan Phipps
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Post by Alan Phipps » Mon, 16. Apr 18, 10:57

Indeed it was.
A dog has a master; a cat has domestic staff.

TTD
x4

Post by TTD » Mon, 16. Apr 18, 11:03

Reunion was tough compared to TC/AC...

TC/ AC have refined the mechanics and is somewhat easier now.

If you want to get into the game quick, TC is probably the way to go, as much of the plots are tuorial , with good rewards.
I would use TC to relearn the game and head to AP as soon as you feel confident :-)

And welcome back

wathman00
x4

Post by wathman00 » Mon, 16. Apr 18, 15:16

If you are staying vanilla only, TC then AP makes sense. Though it is possible to use a mod to add TC plots into AP so you get the best of both games. If you play both games separately you will have to rebuild your empire at the end of TC, and you will be unable to get some of the very nice reward ships found in TC when you get to AP.

TTD
x4

Post by TTD » Mon, 16. Apr 18, 20:08

hence the link for TC to AP

Xdownloads link not working :-(

modernrocko
x3tc

Post by modernrocko » Tue, 17. Apr 18, 00:46

Timsup2nothin wrote:I think that was more a "here's some good info on topic" rather than a "don't open new threads." Many people open a "I'm new" type thread and use it to ask a wide range of questions that come up as they hit the learning curve. Generally that is considered better than opening a new thread for every question that comes up, because there are usually a lot of questions.
Alan Phipps wrote:Indeed it was.
Ah, I see now. I misinterpreted and thought I broke a rule somewheres. Confusion all around! :oops:

Thanks for the suggestions everyone. I decided to just jump straight into AP, using the Humble Merchant start like I usually did in X3:R. I might revisit the story starts at some point, but I love the empire-building sandbox aspects so this is usually how I've played in the past, and it sounded like both of the main AP stories will start you off with a thick wallet and a fleet at your command. I like to work my way up from the bottom. :)

Haven't progressed too far yet. I've fully upgraded both the starting Mercury and Discoverer with jumpdrives and the like, and have just explored over to Omicron Lyrae. Trying to build up my Argon reputation so I can buy a Mk3 Trader license and get some sector traders going. You weren't joking about the high value missiles, I've brought in around 2 million just from gathering those up and selling them.

One oddity I noticed with regard to the Terran ships: If I'm in sector flying around picking up stray missiles, Terran ships aren't agro to me and won't bother me. But if I leave sector and send my Mercury in to gather them while I'm OOS, the Terran ships go red and attack my freighter [or any AdvSats I place as well] until it's destroyed. Kind of put a dent in my plans to fly from sector to sector to watch battles with my Discoverer and then bring in the freighter after I leave to quickly gather things (automated gathering always seems faster when I'm OOS). For now I've gone back to manually picking up the battles' leftovers.

Next step is buying an M4+ (likely the Solano) so I can start capping pirate ships and raising my Argon standing. The real fun begins once I've got some ST's operating.

Timsup2nothin

Post by Timsup2nothin » Tue, 17. Apr 18, 06:52

The "war sectors" have a script that activates on any unattended assets (meaning anything you own if you are not in the sector). It picks either Argon or Terran, whoever you have lower rep with, and proceeds to reduce your stuff to 'collateral damage.'

Short version, anything you send into a war sector will get blown up 'in the crossfire,' so don't. :)

Part One, in progress

HEY! AP!! That's new!!!

Return to “X Trilogy Universe”