Does X3 have full controller support?

General discussions about the games by Egosoft including X-BTF, XT, X², X³: Reunion, X³: Terran Conflict and X³: Albion Prelude.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

Tamina
Moderator (Deutsch)
Moderator (Deutsch)

Does X3 have full controller support?

Post by Tamina » Thu, 15. Mar 18, 17:25

With "fully" I mean not using mouse or keyboard even once!
Can I plug my computer to the TV and just play on the couch?

And because I have already googled the answer before: With controller I mean neither a joystick nor HOTAs nor X9ThousandUberEnthusiastWhatsoever:

Code: Select all

Und wenn ein Forenbösewicht, was Ungezogenes spricht, dann hol' ich meinen Kaktus und der sticht sticht sticht.
  /l、 
゙(゚、 。 7 
 l、゙ ~ヽ   / 
 じしf_, )ノ 

Timsup2nothin

Post by Timsup2nothin » Thu, 15. Mar 18, 17:34

I'm going to take a guess here, since I don't really know...but to get TOTAL no mouse or keyboard is probably going to take some sort of third party controller profiler.
Trapper Tim's Guide to CLS 2

On Her Majesty's Secret Service-Dead is Dead, and he is DEAD

Not a DiD, so I guess it's a DiDn't, the story of my first try at AP
Part One, in progress

HEY! AP!! That's new!!!

X2-Illuminatus
Moderator (Deutsch)
Moderator (Deutsch)
x4

Post by X2-Illuminatus » Thu, 15. Mar 18, 17:51

Both X3TC and X3AP come with native controller support. I'm pretty sure that the controller the standard mapping was designed for was an X-Box controller, but do not ask me which exactly. Whether you can play comfortable completely without a keyboard or mouse probably depends on your playing style. I would guess that due to the limited amount of keys you will have to go more often through the menu hierarchy, instead of pressing a shortcut.
Nun verfügbar! X3: Farnham's Legacy - Ein neues Kapitel für einen alten Favoriten

Die komplette X-Roman-Reihe jetzt als Kindle E-Books! (Farnhams Legende, Nopileos, X3: Yoshiko, X3: Hüter der Tore, X3: Wächter der Erde)

Neuauflage der fünf X-Romane als Taschenbuch

The official X-novels Farnham's Legend, Nopileos, X3: Yoshiko as Kindle e-books!

wathman00
x4

Post by wathman00 » Thu, 15. Mar 18, 18:16

Playing may be doable without keyboard, but I'd hate to manage an empire without the ability to rename ships.

Tamina
Moderator (Deutsch)
Moderator (Deutsch)

Post by Tamina » Thu, 15. Mar 18, 19:42

Thanks guys :D
Renaming ships shouldn't be a problem with a virtual keyboard if nescessary.

Und wenn ein Forenbösewicht, was Ungezogenes spricht, dann hol' ich meinen Kaktus und der sticht sticht sticht.
  /l、 
゙(゚、 。 7 
 l、゙ ~ヽ   / 
 じしf_, )ノ 

DrSuperEvil
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Post by DrSuperEvil » Fri, 16. Mar 18, 16:29

Using a controller has the advantage of being able to fly and aim in different directions however I would advise still having a keyboard for hotkeys in combination with a controller.

Tamina
Moderator (Deutsch)
Moderator (Deutsch)

Post by Tamina » Sun, 18. Mar 18, 19:10

It turns out the controller is not an issue but instead ui scaling and font size.

/l、 
゙(゚、 。 7 
 l、゙ ~ヽ   / 
 じしf_, )ノ 

Timsup2nothin

Post by Timsup2nothin » Sun, 18. Mar 18, 22:46

Tamina wrote:It turns out the controller is not an issue but instead ui scaling and font size.
OUCH!!!
Trapper Tim's Guide to CLS 2

On Her Majesty's Secret Service-Dead is Dead, and he is DEAD

Not a DiD, so I guess it's a DiDn't, the story of my first try at AP
Part One, in progress

HEY! AP!! That's new!!!

Mr.Killer
x4

Re: Does X3 have full controller support?

Post by Mr.Killer » Fri, 21. Oct 22, 11:03

Because I have RSI in both hands I wanted to play games without the use of a mouse. Now, my Q is how does an XBOX controller connect to my laptop? Is it with BT, a cable or via WIFI?
I thought it was BT, but not sure, the Xbox-one I have is also not clear in this and I remember that something about this was mentioned somewhere.
If this is BT, then I have to buy a new laptop :cry:

X2-Illuminatus
Moderator (Deutsch)
Moderator (Deutsch)
x4

Re: Does X3 have full controller support?

Post by X2-Illuminatus » Sat, 22. Oct 22, 09:27

According to this guide all three options are possible depending on what controller you have.
Nun verfügbar! X3: Farnham's Legacy - Ein neues Kapitel für einen alten Favoriten

Die komplette X-Roman-Reihe jetzt als Kindle E-Books! (Farnhams Legende, Nopileos, X3: Yoshiko, X3: Hüter der Tore, X3: Wächter der Erde)

Neuauflage der fünf X-Romane als Taschenbuch

The official X-novels Farnham's Legend, Nopileos, X3: Yoshiko as Kindle e-books!

Return to “X Trilogy Universe”