Well, I'm hooked.

General discussions about the games by Egosoft including X-BTF, XT, X², X³: Reunion, X³: Terran Conflict and X³: Albion Prelude.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

lyonhaert
x3tc

Well, I'm hooked.

Post by lyonhaert » Sun, 7. Jan 18, 05:05

Well, I've had my face stuck in X3: Terran Conflict for about a month now, and I'm pretty hooked. It has a lot of the stuff I liked in Independence War 2, and then some. Like being a space pirate.

I have pretty high rep with most of the major races (need to work on Paranid some more), so I get some pretty fruitful missions and have gotten way pickier on the profit margin per mission. Return Abandoned Ship missions are lovely. So far I've stolen 2 Minotaurs, a Cerberus, and a Centaur thanks to my Yaki friends. I've sold all but 1 Minotaur since I'm training up a bunch of Marines. I get M8s frequently for these missions now, and I go ahead and return those. Because of these missions and personnel transport missions, my favorite ship for a while was a Zephyrus, but I switched to flying a Chokaro with a Kestrel and an M3 docked (usually a Mamba Raider to aid with personnel transport, but could also be swapped with a Nova Raider or Blastclaw Prototype).

I've been using X3 Map by Scorpby and started working with the log file it uses. I write a lot of notes and keep track of changes to them in a git repository, so recently I wrote a console application to read in the log00001.txt file and sort the stations under each station category and sort the wares in each station's sellable and buyable wares groups and rewrite the file. This makes the diffs with each commit of the log file in that repo much less noisy since the search script doesn't ouput stations or wares in the same order each time.

Outputting a second version of the sorted log without the wares allows me to track GoD's activity, and it's been busy, apparently. It took away an SPP-XL in Bala Gi's Joy and one in Akeela's Beacon, which makes me a little sad. I probably shouldn't have disabled the 5 UTs I had going (and 3 STs training) before starting to set up CLS2 networks a la Trapper Tim's approach. I should probably drop a bunch of CLS2 discos around with multiple fly-to-station waypoints to try to protect more stuff from GoD. I lost track of how many discos I have around the galaxy.

So far I'm working on dominating energy cells in the Argon Prime region before tackling other wares. Ran into a snag where my first substation in The Hole went dry. I redid the collection/distribution in The Hole, thinking that was probably the bottleneck, that the buying traps on the two XL SPPs just weren't being collected from quickly enough for the distribution I was doing previously. At the moment, that substation is fed from the 2 SPP-XLs in The Hole and the SPP-M in Antigone Memorial while distributing to the EC consumers in those sectors and a substation in Herron's Nebula (which just started distributing to selling traps in that sector). Time will tell, I guess. I definitely arranged ships and waypoints a bit differently than others seem to do these when I first set up that sector. I probably need to do some math on travel time and SPP production rate to figure out if I'm collecting fast enough.

There's so much stuff I've added to a To Do list for this game...

Apparently the only way I'm going to get any PBGs is by capping pirates, but I'm trying to keep fight rank down still for the police spawns on Return Abandoned Ship missions. The only PBG forges at the moment are in Maelstrom and LooManckStrat's Legacy and are red, naturally. Might try cruising around for a station hacking mission. If I can't get them, I'm simply going to have to use an alternative weapon/ship — I saw someone take out an entire sector of Xenon in an M3 and figured that might be something to add to my X3 bucket list, but PBGs are essential to that plan.

I want to expand upon my log parsing application to output per-sector-per-ware maps of supply and demand to help inform me how to shape my CLS2 networks. Where the sources of particular wares are clustered, where the consumers are and whether they're being served, etc. Now I'm wondering if how feasible it is to take those results and write an application that constructs, per sector, a list of ships, with their cargo sizes, waypoints, costs, etc. needed for a basic setup. Could be handy as a checklist.

I thought about speeding up CLS network setup by writing scripts that create whatever ships I want with whatever software/equipment/upgrades and then deducts the proper amount of credits from my ship account. Part of the grind and enjoyment of the game seems to be moving spaceships around, though, so for now I'm using pairs of Boas with 4 discos each, with JDs in the Boas and JDs in the 4 discos of one of the each pair of Boas. The one with the JDs sits at the shipyard I'm sourcing freighters from, dishing out a JD and ECs to the new freighters. They get jumped to the sector where I need them and the other Boa is sitting there at the gate to collect the JDs. Then after each 4, the Boas swap places. Still need to set up some CLS2 ships to refuel the Boas. These are also pretty handy for collecting the used freighters I like to buy while cruising for missions.

Still need to pick a bunch of weapon/shield fabs to protect from GoD. Still need to set up some EC/ore/wheat delivery to the Space Fuel and IBL stations in Weaver's Tempest. Still need to start the Terran Plot and quickly setup trade in Terran space. Still need to practice dogfighting and capping more.

Oh look, a Return Abandoned Ship mission. Oh look, an asteroid scanning mission that pays 290,000Cr per asteroid. Oh look, this person needs to get to a station in 5 minutes in a sector I haven't explored that's 4 jumps away — let's see if I can pull that off.

Crap, I still haven't done any of the other stuff. Why is there so much to do in this game?

Unsolicited advice welcome (re: PBGs and CLS2 networks), but mostly I wanted to say hello to everybody. Hello.

Also, I once killed my character repairing that first Minotaur with a coffee cup on my Ctrl key while watching a couple episodes of Stranger Things with my fiance. I forgot my space suit had only a 2-hour supply of oxygen. :roll:

Timsup2nothin

Post by Timsup2nothin » Sun, 7. Jan 18, 06:31

Welcome!
Trapper Tim's Guide to CLS 2

On Her Majesty's Secret Service-Dead is Dead, and he is DEAD

Not a DiD, so I guess it's a DiDn't, the story of my first try at AP
Part One, in progress

HEY! AP!! That's new!!!

lyonhaert
x3tc

Post by lyonhaert » Sun, 7. Jan 18, 20:07

Thanks, Tim. I actually had a more specific question for you. Do you calculate travel time of collectors and distributors to determine how many to use so there isn't a bottleneck, or do you implement a little overkill knowing that the consumers will set the equilibrium? How much do you calculate ahead of time and how much do you observe over time and adjust?

Part of the reason I ask is how I had initially set up The Hole. I had:
  • a large trap on each of the SPP-XLs buying at 12
  • one transfer Mercury per trap picking up and dropping off at the substation
  • one battery per consumer in The Hole selling at 17
  • three distribution Mercuries picking up at the substation and dropping of at 2 batteries
I changed some of the transfer and distribution Mercuries to pick up at the traps, drop off at 1 or 2 batteries, then drop off at the substation. Even before this change, though, the substations in The Hole and Herron's Nebula weren't filling. Accounts still rise, so they're selling, but it's probably hand-to-mouth and I'm not sure if I've done something wrong.

Timsup2nothin

Post by Timsup2nothin » Sun, 7. Jan 18, 20:54

You haven't done anything wrong. You just need to add more transfer ships. The XLSPP, NPC style, generates about 40,000 cells per hour. That's north of thirteen Mercury loads. So with a single transfer ship it has to be making the round trip in something right around four minutes. Two minutes each way, for a Mercury, is only 12km, and I am sure your substation is not that close.

It is possible to do all the calculations using speed, distance, and capacity to come up with the desired number of freighters on each leg. Sometimes I do that. It is also possible to just slowly add freighters until things resolve, and sometimes I do that.
Trapper Tim's Guide to CLS 2

On Her Majesty's Secret Service-Dead is Dead, and he is DEAD

Not a DiD, so I guess it's a DiDn't, the story of my first try at AP
Part One, in progress

HEY! AP!! That's new!!!

Nick Northern
x3tc

Post by Nick Northern » Mon, 8. Jan 18, 01:18

Welcome to the X community. It's an amazing series of games and can really be anything you want it to be. I like to throw some role play into my starts, even if it's in my head getting started on a new game. For example, the Poisoned Paranid start...I will not repair rep with Paranid or Split and will role play a Duke's Pirate. Perhaps build rep with Terran only to buy and sell, but pirate everyone else.

The game is infinitely replayable only limited by your imagination. Add to that all the mods (although I suggest playing vanilla for a good while and plots first if you choose to mod), and it gets even more diverse.

Enjoy!
Enemies make you stronger, allies make you weaker.
Frank Herbert

Return to “X Trilogy Universe”