Having trouble progressing

General discussions about the games by Egosoft including X-BTF, XT, X², X³: Reunion, X³: Terran Conflict and X³: Albion Prelude.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

kohlrak

Having trouble progressing

Post by kohlrak » Fri, 5. Jan 18, 14:27

I'm in a custom universe (default on X2, so basically regular game with story disabled) with a bayaman, aIRE, gIRE, and 2 APACs, 72% hull, and one 5MW shield. Rank Lieutenant 1st Grade, so I can't get anything other than that M3 in Brennan's Triumph alone, but I don't quite have enough firepower to get the shields down. It's always engaged with a TS, but neither ever win. 239 credits. I have a life support system, but that's not going to do me any good if i can't kill anything. I feel like i'm playing skyblock on minecraft and have to start over because i made a wrong decision somewhere. I could try selling a handful of power cells, but that isn't going to get me an IonD (i assume that'll at least let me take down the M4 pairings i keep seeing or a TS, especially if i can get my hands on a license incase they don't bail). I swear, we rank up way, way too fast. Maybe I can take a chance on selling my shield and waiting for the khaak to appear? I just spent the whole day in this game, and managed to reload from getting shot up so much trying to isolate pirates that I just can't even get anywhere, anymore.

Anyone have any bright ideas?

jlehtone
x4

Post by jlehtone » Fri, 5. Jan 18, 21:55

Some of the Stations do have random containers inside of them. Therefore, exploring insides of Stations can yield something. Alas, some of the wares were too large for the bay of (M5) Disco.

Bayamon can mount aPSG. With those (and some fancy flying) it can kill Xenon K (a M2 Destroyer). The aPSG are obviously not cheap.

Life Support System is for carrying passengers, is it not? Generic BBS missions should offer such non-hostile and doable tasks.
Goner Pancake Protector X
Insanity included at no extra charge.
There is no Box. I am the sand.

kohlrak

Post by kohlrak » Sat, 6. Jan 18, 03:38

jlehtone wrote:Some of the Stations do have random containers inside of them. Therefore, exploring insides of Stations can yield something. Alas, some of the wares were too large for the bay of (M5) Disco.
I've never seen this before. Do they have common places to hide them?
Bayamon can mount aPSG. With those (and some fancy flying) it can kill Xenon K (a M2 Destroyer). The aPSG are obviously not cheap.
If i had the money i'd buy IonDs and a second shield.
Life Support System is for carrying passengers, is it not? Generic BBS missions should offer such non-hostile and doable tasks.
Having trouble finding any. When i was in my M5, i kept seeing missions demanding an M4. Now that i have an M4, i keep getting those "deliver me to station X in 6 Mizuras," which I already know that my M5 can't do, and they're offering pocket change. Sometimes double digits.

devilofbelfast
xr

Post by devilofbelfast » Sat, 6. Jan 18, 03:47

X2 was one of my favourite games. Yeah you really need to put time into exploring the interior of stations, there can easily be a hundred thousand credits of goods just floating around but iirc once its gone, its gone. You'll need a good scan with the mk1 eyeball though as i cant remember if they show up on scanners. Check everywhere, including behind pipes and also inside asteroids. Follow the tunnels.
the four most important things iv'e found out,
1, your birth certificate is an apology letter from the condom factory.
2, dont argue with an idiot, he will drag you down to his level and beat you with experiance.
3, if gods watching us, the least we can do is be entertaining,
4, Better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak and remove all doubt.

ubuntufreakdragon
x4

Post by ubuntufreakdragon » Sat, 6. Jan 18, 04:22

jlehtone wrote:(and some fancy flying)
not that fancy at all you only have to drift in one direction, as the turrets ignore drift when calculating your movement direction, (using the steering extension you can buy for 10k from Boron/Paranid).

I recommend an aPSG, too. for 250k you get a weapon, that kills any ship and always hits.
A pretty fast way to get some money is:
get a PSG kill some XenonCAPs to boost you Combatrank to values you normally at least need a M6 to reach, than accept a XImission and kill the (combat rank) spawning K's and you can buy your M6 right afterwards.
My X3 Mods

XRebirth, things left to patch:
In General; On Firing NPC's; In De Vries; Out Of Zone; And the Antiwishlist

RAVEN.myst
x3tc

Post by RAVEN.myst » Sat, 6. Jan 18, 07:58

devilofbelfast wrote:...the mk1 eyeball...
LOL! I like that :D
-
Boron passenger: "You must hurry - my testicles are drying out!"
-
Born on Lave, raised on Freeport 7...
-
The Write Stuff

pjknibbs
x4

Post by pjknibbs » Sat, 6. Jan 18, 11:51

One of the TPs (I forget which one) can mount three Ion Disruptors, is fast and has a fair amount of shielding, so I used to take one of those, annoy a pirate base, and then just cruise through the launched ships zapping away. I'd get loads of captures and anything that just wouldn't bail I'd wait until they had no weapons and barely any shields, switch to GPAC and blow them up. Was a nice earner!

ubuntufreakdragon
x4

Post by ubuntufreakdragon » Sat, 6. Jan 18, 13:10

pjknibbs wrote:One of the TPs (I forget which one) can mount three Ion Disruptors, is fast and has a fair amount of shielding, so I used to take one of those, annoy a pirate base, and then just cruise through the launched ships zapping away. I'd get loads of captures and anything that just wouldn't bail I'd wait until they had no weapons and barely any shields, switch to GPAC and blow them up. Was a nice earner!
Split iguana, pretty fast (above 300) and a back turret and 50mw shielding, and quite cheap ~200k
My X3 Mods

XRebirth, things left to patch:
In General; On Firing NPC's; In De Vries; Out Of Zone; And the Antiwishlist

jlehtone
x4

Post by jlehtone » Sat, 6. Jan 18, 15:14

"Quite cheap", yes, but factor in those three IonD, etc and you have a million plus price tag.

Going from 239 credits to (the first ever) million with damaged M4 when your so far fanciest flying says: "two Pirates == death" ...

When i was in my M5 ...
What did happen to that M5?

kohlrak

Post by kohlrak » Sat, 6. Jan 18, 16:42

jlehtone wrote:"Quite cheap", yes, but factor in those three IonD, etc and you have a million plus price tag.

Going from 239 credits to (the first ever) million with damaged M4 when your so far fanciest flying says: "two Pirates == death" ...

When i was in my M5 ...
What did happen to that M5?
I was hoping to save it, but i may have to sell it (i'm afraid it still wouldn't be worth it). Right now, it has no shields or equipment to speak of (got raided for the obviously better bayamon) and is sitting in TerraCorp HQ. I got 2 defense drones off the pirate ship that it's holding (i'm pretty much using it for cheap storage since i can't get a freighter of any kind, yet), and i wanted to sell them for some quick cash, but i can't find any stations that'll buy them.

I did manage to find an M5 floating around alone, once, but i got too excited, fired early, and got hit with a single missile that ruined my day. I really need that other 5MW shield back, too. I was hoping to slap 3 IonDs somehow (fat chance with my wallet) and quick draining a pirate ship, since that and some rare orinocos are the only pirate i'm seeing flying alone (and every other sector seems to exclusively have freighters and M6s for some unknown reason [maybe i'm not looking hard enough, since i don't want to upset anyone]). I haven't got that lucky since. If i could just take down a solo orinoco, I have this feeling that one in Brennen's Triumph is a constant respawner, along with his target that never dies, either. I've been through that sector so many times seeing those 2 fighting, i think i'd end up reloading the save if i left the sector and didn't see them again, as i've grown fond of them by this point, in their perpetual struggle (legit, even when i bail the freighter out, it doesn't disengage from the orinoco).

The Pirate Ships (TS) that float around seem reliably alone (or is that going to be a problem?), regardless of ranks i've acquired so far (and we rank up way too quick). I think i'd be pretty safe and set once i could get them down without getting hit. But, as you've noted, I can't get strafe drive, yet. Even then, would i even be able to hit them if all i do is dodge the fire?

I feel like i'm participating in the ultimate challenge since i'm not robbing that transport of it's shields since i don't have the story enabled. The above suggestions make the consistent mistake of the fact that i'm having absolute trouble making money. I appreciate the ideas, but I need to progress from where i'm at before i begin to try to apply any of them.

Also, what's your stance on the bayamon? How long do you think this thing could carry me after I max it out? On one hand, there's like no shielding and i can't really install many strong guns (outside of the aPSGs, once I have the money), but i do get 4 slots. I feel like if i can get and keep those M3s alone, i'd be in good shape, too, even if it's slower than raiding the TSes. I feel if i could get a decent capping ship with some good targets, i could make enough money to either fix up a pirate freighter, or buy my own, and start trading like a normal person. I feel like i could try trading silicoln if I could carry it, but, alas, i cannot. Nothing else at this class seems to be more profitable than 1000Cr an hour, which is more of a grind than a fulfilling challenge. I will say i'm fairly proud of that Bayamon, given what i managed to cap it with (and surviving the random frame drops).

EDIT: The essential challenge is the following.
  • -I'm broke
    -I need almost everything i have (that M5 would be my bank if i had anything to give it to hide from customs or something)
    -What i don't need i can't sell, or if i did sell i'd still be broke
    -I have a barely competent combat ship
    -i have competent opponents
And this is ignoring the fact the "fastest ship" (based on what the in game voice is telling me) is slower than a nova (to be fair, it's missing about 1/4th it's health and isn't fully upgraded) at a top speed of 104. At that point, if i ever do get lucky and see a group that was partially taken out or something, i can't catch up with it.

On the other hand, i'm still better off than my first save where i did use story mode. I ended up scanning that broken jump gate in Brennen's Triumph, only to come back and watch my ship get destroyed by a pirate and then fly away. And there i stood, in the wreckage of a jumpgage, without a single ship. I feel like there's still hope for the save with the pirate ship, though.

pjknibbs
x4

Post by pjknibbs » Sat, 6. Jan 18, 20:55

jlehtone wrote:"Quite cheap", yes, but factor in those three IonD, etc and you have a million plus price tag.
You don't need all three slots to have IDs in them--one will suffice to get started.

jlehtone
x4

Post by jlehtone » Sat, 6. Jan 18, 22:19

True, but even that seems a bit distant from OP's viewpoint.

What is the Split reputation at the Custom Start? The Plot start does require "making friends", i.e. killing enemies of Split. No buying Iguana before that.
kohlrak wrote:The Pirate Ships (TS) that float around seem reliably alone (or is that going to be a problem?), regardless of ranks i've acquired so far (and we rank up way too quick).
That looks like a misconception. Your (Combat/Trade) Ranks do not affect what you meet "out there". The ranks do affect what you meet in generic missions.

IIRC, the speed penalty of damaged hull starts at 90% and thus a full repair is not necessary to reach nominal speed. The top speed of fully tuned Bayamon is 206 m/s. That and its four guns make it quite effective. The shields, even at the max 10MW, will not withstand much.

I cannot remember how I did make it through the start, but there was a lot of grinding in Disco, and later in Nova.

kohlrak

Post by kohlrak » Sun, 7. Jan 18, 01:46

jlehtone wrote:True, but even that seems a bit distant from OP's viewpoint.

What is the Split reputation at the Custom Start? The Plot start does require "making friends", i.e. killing enemies of Split. No buying Iguana before that.
Well, they haven't shot at me yet.
kohlrak wrote:The Pirate Ships (TS) that float around seem reliably alone (or is that going to be a problem?), regardless of ranks i've acquired so far (and we rank up way too quick).
That looks like a misconception. Your (Combat/Trade) Ranks do not affect what you meet "out there". The ranks do affect what you meet in generic missions.
Are you sure about that? 'Cause the flights sure look different to me. Maybe i'm just really, really unlucky since my rank upgrade.
IIRC, the speed penalty of damaged hull starts at 90% and thus a full repair is not necessary to reach nominal speed. The top speed of fully tuned Bayamon is 206 m/s. That and its four guns make it quite effective. The shields, even at the max 10MW, will not withstand much.

I cannot remember how I did make it through the start, but there was a lot of grinding in Disco, and later in Nova.
So, basically, i need to be slightly faster than my intended targets, and I need to get my hands on that piece of slipping equipment so i can avoid the rear cannons. But, for now, I need to be looking for more bayamon to kidnap in a sector far, far away since i and the other AI depopulated the rest of the singles. Focus on getting to orinoco capping level by replacing my aIRE with an IonD using my profits from my next capture?

Nanook
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Post by Nanook » Mon, 8. Jan 18, 22:56

kohlrak wrote:... I feel if i could get a decent capping ship with some good targets, i could make enough money to either fix up a pirate freighter, or buy my own, and start trading like a normal person....
Switch over to your M5 (Discoverer, I presume), tell your Bayamon to dock at the shipyard, sell it, and buy a freighter. You can always cap another Bayamon later, if you wish. For me, the best M4 in the game was the Boron Pirahna and that's what I often worked to get as my M4, before moving on to an M3. :)

And I'd keep the M5. It serves as a scout ship to open up new sectors a lot faster than the TS would. More open sectors means more profit opportunities.
Have a great idea for the current or a future game? You can post it in the [L3+] Ideas forum.

X4 is a journey, not a destination. Have fun on your travels.

jlehtone
x4

Post by jlehtone » Mon, 8. Jan 18, 23:24

:gruebel: X-Tension had Boron Piranha, but X2 Borons have Mako.

There must be someone that accepts Fighter Drones. (Some) Trading Stations?
Plan B: You do get credits for the wares that are in the ship that you do sell.

kohlrak

Post by kohlrak » Tue, 9. Jan 18, 00:46

Nanook wrote:
kohlrak wrote:... I feel if i could get a decent capping ship with some good targets, i could make enough money to either fix up a pirate freighter, or buy my own, and start trading like a normal person....
Switch over to your M5 (Discoverer, I presume), tell your Bayamon to dock at the shipyard, sell it, and buy a freighter. You can always cap another Bayamon later, if you wish. For me, the best M4 in the game was the Boron Pirahna and that's what I often worked to get as my M4, before moving on to an M3. :)

And I'd keep the M5. It serves as a scout ship to open up new sectors a lot faster than the TS would. More open sectors means more profit opportunities.

I thought those ships were more expensive than an M4, let alone a damaged M4. I'll have to look into that. I've gotten a brilliant idea and now i'm stuck in black sun after selling one of my guns to get a police license. All i can say is, i really, really wish these xenon would get less wirey. I have a good hunting spot, but they need to chill out. I just can't keep them anywhere near center of the screen. I wish one of them would just give in and let me have the ship for a bigger bonus, but compared to the pirates these guys don't seem to believe in capture.
jlehtone wrote::gruebel: X-Tension had Boron Piranha, but X2 Borons have Mako.

There must be someone that accepts Fighter Drones. (Some) Trading Stations?
Plan B: You do get credits for the wares that are in the ship that you do sell.
I've been looking everywhere. I don't think anyone buys them. They'd at least get my 4th gun back at this point.

jlehtone
x4

Post by jlehtone » Tue, 9. Jan 18, 01:22

kohlrak wrote:I've been looking everywhere. I don't think anyone buys them. They'd at least get my 4th gun back at this point.
Check Free Argon Trading Stations in Treasure Chest, Nyana's Hideout, Nathan's ...

In my vanilla/plot game Trading Station of every second Argon sector near Black Hole Sun sees to stock, buy and sell Fighter Drones.

kohlrak

Post by kohlrak » Tue, 9. Jan 18, 01:54

jlehtone wrote:
kohlrak wrote:I've been looking everywhere. I don't think anyone buys them. They'd at least get my 4th gun back at this point.
Check Free Argon Trading Stations in Treasure Chest, Nyana's Hideout, Nathan's ...

In my vanilla/plot game Trading Station of every second Argon sector near Black Hole Sun sees to stock, buy and sell Fighter Drones.
Now i wish i would've brought them along with me. XD

Nanook
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Post by Nanook » Tue, 9. Jan 18, 01:56

jlehtone wrote::gruebel: X-Tension had Boron Piranha, but X2 Borons have Mako....
My bad! :oops: I didn't really fly the Bayamon much in X2 because of the silly cockpits. Visibility sucked due to the large bar down the middile of it. It also looked like I was flying Darth Vader's head. I was very fond of the Bayamon, and Pirahna, in X-T. Sorry for the confusion. It's been a long time since I played either game.
Have a great idea for the current or a future game? You can post it in the [L3+] Ideas forum.

X4 is a journey, not a destination. Have fun on your travels.

kohlrak

Post by kohlrak » Tue, 9. Jan 18, 02:00

Nanook wrote:
jlehtone wrote::gruebel: X-Tension had Boron Piranha, but X2 Borons have Mako....
My bad! :oops: I didn't really fly the Bayamon much in X2 because of the silly cockpits. Visibility sucked due to the large bar down the middile of it. It also looked like I was flying Darth Vader's head. I was very fond of the Bayamon, and Pirahna, in X-T. Sorry for the confusion. It's been a long time since I played either game.
The color scheme is also hiding the red when my opponent goes in that direction, so now i know if i don't see the arrows, to pitch down. I love the outsides of it, but it feels too much like glass, but those cannons. I'm anxious to see how it performs fully upgraded.

EDIT: Argon sector patrols are starting to ruin my day. I'll fight an N or an M for 5 minutes, hoping for a kill or cap, only for argon to come down just as i'm close to getting the shields down and stealing my kill. This game is starting to feel like an MMO, but at least there are no microtransactions.

EDIT: Finally got 500 credits. Ironically, i managed to get scanned, so i assume htat was the kill stealing sector patrol. I guess they didn't like it when i started shooting them after they stole my last kill. At least they didn't go hostile on me.

EDIT: I just killed another one and didn't get any credit for it. This is beginning to make me angry.

Return to “X Trilogy Universe”