X3TC - Issue with Aldrin Plot - Asteroid scan

General discussions about the games by Egosoft including X-BTF, XT, X², X³: Reunion, X³: Terran Conflict and X³: Albion Prelude.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

IstariCjine
x3tc

X3TC - Issue with Aldrin Plot - Asteroid scan

Post by IstariCjine » Fri, 25. Aug 17, 21:03

Hello,

I have an issue regarding the Aldrin plot (X3 TC, vanilla version).

The first mission asks us to go to a random sector and scan a series of asteroids there. I left the random sector before I could finish the scans, and got busy on some other things (pirats attacking trade ships).

As I don't have any saves prior to the random jump, I am now stuck in the Aldrin plot. I tried to jump again (50 sectors or so, enough to find and board the Aran), but I can't resume the plot.

Is there any solution I could use to complete this part of the plot? I would be glad, even if I have to give up the "vanilla" and install some cheating mode...

Thank you for your help,

Alan Phipps
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Post by Alan Phipps » Fri, 25. Aug 17, 21:10

Moving to the Universe (gameplay) forum (from Tech Sp) as more players and modders will see the thread there.

A quote from Spychotic's Guide:
Spoiler
Show
Use your UFJD to get to a Sector with a few (up to 10) asteroids that you can easily find, because you can’t use scan asteroid commands here. It’ll have to be done manually. And you’ve only got one jump; if you end up in a terrible Sector, you’ll be better off reloading rather than trying to complete what might well be an impossible mission. You’ll get sectors with impossible numbers of enemies, sectors with impossible numbers of asteroids, sectors which are so dark it’s impossible to see; dump them all. You’re going to have to scan every asteroid in the Sector so if you can’t see them or fight your way to them it’s not going to work.
Have you tried manually scanning every single asteroid in any UFJD sector since? If doing that doesn't help then I think you could be sunk in vanilla terms as the UFJD sector where you started the plot mission no longer exists in the game. :(

Pre-mission saves that don't get overwritten until the mission is complete are often amongst your best friends.
A dog has a master; a cat has domestic staff.

IstariCjine
x3tc

Post by IstariCjine » Fri, 25. Aug 17, 21:27

Thanks for moving the topic !

Yes, I tried to scan every possible asteroid in other sectors, but it didn't work.
And unfortunately I don't have any save left... Silly me but I think that's one of the only main missions in X3 that you have to complete at once.

That's why the solution may come from a "cheat code" that would enable me to bypass this part of the plot. Don't worry, I will still bring the 250 000 crystals and 400 000 silicon :D

RAVEN.myst
x3tc

Post by RAVEN.myst » Fri, 25. Aug 17, 21:36

Here's a word of general advice: unless you are running multiple simultaneous games, you have a number of save slots available to you. It's a good idea to use most of them for regular (say for example, hourly, or two-hourly) saves, and one or two for temporary "quick saves" - this way, should you ever encounter a similar situation, or simply one where turning back the clock may be highly desirable, you have the option to do so. What you don't want to do is cycle through your saves too aggressively, as you will then find that your total saves can't go back far. This is where those "temporary save" slots come in handy - you can switch between two of those for frequent saving along the way, then ever hour or two hours commit to the next scheduled save.
-
Boron passenger: "You must hurry - my testicles are drying out!"
-
Born on Lave, raised on Freeport 7...
-
The Write Stuff

IstariCjine
x3tc

Post by IstariCjine » Fri, 25. Aug 17, 21:43

Agreed.

I have 10 slots, 6 with old games, and 4 for the present one on which I make saving cycles. unfortunately it took me several hours before I resumed the plot and the oldest old was thus already overwritten.

Don't know how much time I spent on X3, probably around 1000h ingame. But apparently even veterans can be trapped sometimes ;)

Alan Phipps
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Post by Alan Phipps » Fri, 25. Aug 17, 21:51

Then could I strongly recommend mrbadger's gamesave manager to you. You save different gamestarts and playthroughs to different campaigns so that all the slots are available to you for each campaign. Usable with pure or any mix of vanilla and modded campaigns.
A dog has a master; a cat has domestic staff.

jlehtone
x4

Post by jlehtone » Sat, 26. Aug 17, 09:30

Alan Phipps wrote:Then could I strongly recommend mrbadger's gamesave manager to you.
+1

Personally, I have only one game going on and don't use that tool but I do cycle through all 10 slots and after saving to the 10th I manually create a copy of the entire 'save'-folder. I seem to have 17 backup folders now (named by date); every previous (explicit) save of this currently running X3AP game.
Goner Pancake Protector X
Insanity included at no extra charge.
There is no Box. I am the sand.

Return to “X Trilogy Universe”