Tall Glass Ice and Water Company daily report

General discussions about the games by Egosoft including X-BTF, XT, X², X³: Reunion, X³: Terran Conflict and X³: Albion Prelude.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

Timsup2nothin

Post by Timsup2nothin » Thu, 28. Feb 13, 17:32

@ Hippotastic...

TGIWC owns different kinds of freighters.

There are supply sheds and delivery sheds. They aren't Baldrics. Most of them are Mercurys or Mercury Tankers, and if I remember right there are a couple of Demeters. Anything with a capacity of 3000 will do. I used as many capped, bought used, or unreturned claim ships as I could get hold of and bought the rest. There are seven supply sheds in my game because there are seven Ice Mines, and there are eight delivery sheds because there are eight purifiers. The sheds are CONNECTED by the four Baldrics that load from supply sheds (at Ice Mines) and unload at delivery sheds (at Purifiers).

Since one of the purifiers is located clear out in BFE...er....Mercury, I had to set up a relay from the most productive Ice Mines (in Jupiter 2 and 3). The relay uses a stationary tank parked at HQ in Jupiter and a stationary tank now parked at the energy grid substation in Mars. I added the tank in Jupiter as an unload point on the Baldric that operates in Jupiter 2 and 3. I gave the purifier in Mercury it's own delivery Baldric that picks up from the tank in Mars. I added a RELAY Baldric that loads at the tank in Jupiter and unloads at the tank in Mars.

So, fifteen assorted freighters for sheds (in my game, you may have a different number of mines and/or purifiers in yours). Two stationary tanks, I think I used a Mercury Hauler in Mars (capacity 6000) and some sort of Dolphin (9000) in Jupiter. And a total of six Baldrics with usable capacity 3000 after shielding. That's my ice business. If you have any differences in mines or purifiers there will be some adaptation required.

If you need more help getting that sorted out let me know, else when you get that running we'll take a crack at the water side of the business.

Timsup2nothin

Post by Timsup2nothin » Thu, 28. Feb 13, 17:56

DevilishMoney wrote:I dont know if you misted my question but I like your ideas from this thread and the others you have made, and the possible profit margins it brings but would like to know if this system works well with normal station Cags and sector traders or will your CLS system screw with them or vice versa.
Sorry I missed you the first time.

A trading network like this will strangle AI traders. ALL AI traders, including your own.

For CAGs, if you build some factory that uses water for example, the CAG will not be able to find any unless you set it to buy at average or above. Water is scarce and the network is sitting on the supplies. The good news is that if you built something that needed water you could add it as a drop off point on the nearest TGIWC water distribution freighter and make it the FIRST stop, which would keep it supplied with water (as much as the purifiers can produce anyway, water is REALLY scarce) and the CAG would have more time to deal with the other wares.

For sector traders it's a real problem. They will see ice at minimum price, but the network is sitting on all the buyers. Hopefully they will have the sense not to buy ice, but if they do they will never be able to get rid of it. They will never get a chance to buy water. So two possible commodities down. Add an energy grid and they can't move energy. Every commodity you network is one less that they have to work with, so they progress more slowly. Eventually in my games they just get idled since I network everything. Good news. You can use them in areas where you are not using networks and they will work just fine.

Better news. Networks make all the transactions that sector traders would make, they just make them a LOT better. An ST looks for the commodity it can make the most profit on and tries to make the deal. Frequently you will find that the ST has 'helped' the local economy so much that it is just running around buying stuff at just below average and selling it at just above average because it makes the tiny profit and never lets the good profit develop. A network is just as effective at keeping the local economy running (notice that with TGIWC the purifiers NEVER run out of ice), but it operates exclusively at a large profit margin.

DevilishMoney
x3ap

Post by DevilishMoney » Thu, 28. Feb 13, 21:36

Thanks Timsup2nothin

I currently have over 50 of gnasirator MK3 Improvement Reloaded universe traders flying and another 50 Local traders flying so I might try your CLS system in new game.

Also I am currently making a large complex that needs 2 XL and 1 L Power plants and was thinking will I be able to trap the NPC power plants or will the MK3 traders cause issues with them to.

Timsup2nothin

Post by Timsup2nothin » Fri, 1. Mar 13, 02:00

DevilishMoney wrote:Thanks Timsup2nothin

I currently have over 50 of gnasirator MK3 Improvement Reloaded universe traders flying and another 50 Local traders flying so I might try your CLS system in new game.

Also I am currently making a large complex that needs 2 XL and 1 L Power plants and was thinking will I be able to trap the NPC power plants or will the MK3 traders cause issues with them to.
If you don't mind paying 15 instead of 12...which is still a lot cheaper than the 'free' e-cells that come out of a silicon based energy cell factory...you can get the whole output and no AI freighter including your own will interfere. If you want to pay 12 you just need to trap somewhere around twice the plants that you actually need. A trap at 12 should get at least half the output of an SPP, so if you set twice the traps you need you should catch enough.

I do recommend a new game for putting in networks. It's easier to see what they are accomplishing for you that way. Have to tell you that I've started a whole lot of games since I worked this out...and it has been a LONG time since I bothered with Mk3 traders.

Hippotastic
x4

Post by Hippotastic » Fri, 1. Mar 13, 13:12

Timsup2nothin wrote:@ Hippotastic...

There are supply sheds and delivery sheds. They aren't Baldrics. Most of them are Mercurys or Mercury Tankers, and if I remember right there are a couple of Demeters. Anything with a capacity of 3000 will do. I used as many capped, bought used, or unreturned claim ships as I could get hold of and bought the rest.
I used Baldrics, I have started a new Game and just scripted them in. :)
There are seven supply sheds in my game because there are seven Ice Mines, and there are eight delivery sheds because there are eight purifiers. The sheds are CONNECTED by the four Baldrics that load from supply sheds (at Ice Mines) and unload at delivery sheds (at Purifiers).

Since one of the purifiers is located clear out in BFE...er....Mercury, I had to set up a relay from the most productive Ice Mines (in Jupiter 2 and 3). The relay uses a stationary tank parked at HQ in Jupiter and a stationary tank now parked at the energy grid substation in Mars. I added the tank in Jupiter as an unload point on the Baldric that operates in Jupiter 2 and 3. I gave the purifier in Mercury it's own delivery Baldric that picks up from the tank in Mars. I added a RELAY Baldric that loads at the tank in Jupiter and unloads at the tank in Mars.

So, fifteen assorted freighters for sheds (in my game, you may have a different number of mines and/or purifiers in yours). Two stationary tanks, I think I used a Mercury Hauler in Mars (capacity 6000) and some sort of Dolphin (9000) in Jupiter. And a total of six Baldrics with usable capacity 3000 after shielding. That's my ice business. If you have any differences in mines or purifiers there will be some adaptation required.

If you need more help getting that sorted out let me know, else when you get that running we'll take a crack at the water side of the business.
I have the same as your game in terms of number of ice mines and water purifiers. As I have started from the first minutes, and not game day three, I have added a few CLS traders to feed e-cells from the NPC SPP's to the relevant mines and factories once I realised that was the reason they were not chugging along at full tilt. I have also setup a 5 ship training run to train CLS pilots, as I am at the stage where the water operation is up bar the selling aspects. I have the traps in place to buy the water, but not selling as I am waiting for the pilots to be trained before adding this last bit. I think at this point I will go and "play" the game for a bit and let the various parts fill up and do their thing. By then the pilots should be ready, my water tanks full and ready to sell, and I can finish the setup part.

What have I learnt so far?
Doing this from scratch with scripts mean not enough time has passed for the relevant aspects to come online.
This is far more interesting as a game play method rather than scratching about with best buys/best sells.
That using CLS to feed e-cells to factories or mines is a decent money spinner and easy to roll out to keep the factories all ticking over at full tilt.
That you are trapping Ice, and feeding the purifiers, to monopolise the selling price of water, as this is scarce. This can be applied to any commodity.
I like the idea of traps, you buy instantly, you sell instantly, and you ship stuff where it needs to be in your own time. As long as its timely it will work.
I have not built a complex as such, but the network of freighters reminds me of a dispersed complex. And with the finished article complex ideas rather than self sustaining complexes, making money is no longer an issue and scripts will become far less likely in my games.
There is room to add more purifiers, as you have pointed out, there are more ice mine output than purifier input, you can build the slack and increase turn over per hour.

And I have great respect of the learning and tweaking that you must have gone through to develop these ideas to working models. I do feel this methodology is very much in keeping with how the game was designed to be played, and thanks to you, I can start to get some of the deeper aspects of the game without having to feel like an idot asking basic questions of the forum and getting flamed as I am so obviously stupid.

I am not stupid, I am just lacking enough information and TIME to sift the options, menus, fill rates etc to be able to put this type of logistical setup together.

I knew this was in there, but I could not find it. you have scratched an itch for me that I could not articulate. Timsup2nothin I salute you and thank you for putting this out there.

edit fixing spelling errors.

Timsup2nothin

Post by Timsup2nothin » Fri, 1. Mar 13, 17:03

Hippotastic wrote:

I used Baldrics, I have started a new Game and just scripted them in. :)
That works. Just make sure they are all the same effective size. If the traps don't have shields and the transporters do you want the transporters expanded a little bit I mean.
Hippotastic wrote:
I have also setup a 5 ship training run to train CLS pilots, as I am at the stage where the water operation is up bar the selling aspects. I have the traps in place to buy the water, but not selling as I am waiting for the pilots to be trained before adding this last bit. I think at this point I will go and "play" the game for a bit and let the various parts fill up and do their thing. By then the pilots should be ready, my water tanks full and ready to sell, and I can finish the setup part.
Once you get the hang of this you'll probably never set up 'training runs' again. Every network includes a lot of runs that have to be made consistently and constantly, so they are just a couple waypoints. Those routes turn apprentices into high ranking pilots that can be 'harvested' for other uses and a new apprentice put on. I invest in a handful of 'pilot shuttles', fast ships with CLS and Nav command, that can move the pilots to where I need them.
Hippotastic wrote:
That you are trapping Ice, and feeding the purifiers, to monopolise the selling price of water, as this is scarce. This can be applied to any commodity.
Note: I'm also monopolizing the transportation of ice. Other haulers might pick it up, but all the buyers are buying from me. Since I've monopolized the transport I get to buy at minimum and still make every ice transaction there is to make.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

Thanks for the praise, and you are more than welcome to whatever knowledge I've picked up along the way.

Hippotastic
x4

Post by Hippotastic » Fri, 1. Mar 13, 17:47

Timsup2nothin wrote: Note: I'm also monopolizing the transportation of ice. Other haulers might pick it up, but all the buyers are buying from me. Since I've monopolized the transport I get to buy at minimum and still make every ice transaction there is to make.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

Thanks for the praise, and you are more than welcome to whatever knowledge I've picked up along the way.
Words are meaningless without understanding. By building this as you have described, I have realised a lot of information quickly, and my understanding is growing, and that is why I am thanking you. You are very welcome. I think I will have as look at that Teladi food shortage next maybe once this is bedded in...

Timsup2nothin

Post by Timsup2nothin » Sat, 2. Mar 13, 06:07

Profits for the next game day came to 7 million even. Up slightly from the day before. Probably due to more reliable energy delivery.

My 'trouble seeking' system didn't find any problems, but I did notice that the ice delivery sheds in the outer system were varied in the amount of ice delivered while Jupiter and Mercury ice deliveries were the exact same amount. The water tank purchases were in proportion, so this tells me the system is working but those purifiers had down time in the course of the day due to running out of e-cells. Expansion of the power grid will fix that and is on the agenda for the day.

Also on the agenda, now that the system is verified working, is shifting the sell point of water up to about three credits below maximum at all customers that use it for a primary resource. Three credits below max should trigger the distributor to get to them before they run out of water and stop, as long as the distributor has water. Unfortunately most of the time the distributor doesn't have water. I'll give another daily report to show the effects on profit. It should be substantial.

After that, assuming profit just stabilizes and the system ticks along I probably won't report any more until I get to building purifiers...because that's the best demonstration of what networks like this are about...they require NO maintenance once they are up and running. No 'I've bought a bunch of crap please tell me what to do with it' messages. No "I ran out of jump fuel and set out for the nearest SPP, which is just across this Xenon sector here, how about a rescue' messages. No flashing yellow stations. Nada. Fire and forget.

Fluff
x3tc

Post by Fluff » Sat, 2. Mar 13, 15:32

I'm preparing to start up my own economic conquest of the Terran sectors. I've been considering switching out the Water Transfer Tank and the Water Company HQ (valued at a total of 3 million) with a two Water Purification Plant complex for an HQ (valued at just over 1 million). You lose quite a bit of energy storage (20k instead of 50k), but you gain a lot of water storage (13328 instead of 4500). You can also store ice if you want to, though with the scarcity of ice, that storage will probably never get used.

I'm assuming that when I expand into energy distribution, I might want that extra energy storage. If necessary, I can spend a little less than 2 million to add 3 more Water Purification Plants to the complex, increasing my energy storage back to 50k and my water storage to over 33k for approximately the same initial capital as the original Water Transfer Tank and Water Company HQ.

Timsup2nothin

Post by Timsup2nothin » Sat, 2. Mar 13, 17:11

Fluff wrote:I'm preparing to start up my own economic conquest of the Terran sectors. I've been considering switching out the Water Transfer Tank and the Water Company HQ (valued at a total of 3 million) with a two Water Purification Plant complex for an HQ (valued at just over 1 million). You lose quite a bit of energy storage (20k instead of 50k), but you gain a lot of water storage (13328 instead of 4500). You can also store ice if you want to, though with the scarcity of ice, that storage will probably never get used.

I'm assuming that when I expand into energy distribution, I might want that extra energy storage. If necessary, I can spend a little less than 2 million to add 3 more Water Purification Plants to the complex, increasing my energy storage back to 50k and my water storage to over 33k for approximately the same initial capital as the original Water Transfer Tank and Water Company HQ.
A water treatment complex for a HQ makes great sense. I started TGIWC first thing, so I didn't have access to water purifiers. Since your game has been running for some time the balance of ice and water production facilities may be a LOT different so you will have to adapt. I know that without my intervention the ice mines in my game would probably have mostly disappeared.

Hippotastic
x4

Post by Hippotastic » Mon, 4. Mar 13, 18:28

Well an update...

I got the system bedded in, and bought a TP for my player ship to get taxi missions, and accumulated 8 mill credits. ( I can script money, but I have vowed to only spend what I "earn" this time...)

I got to the stage of putting more purifiers in, and bam, I cant buy Terran stations. They are just not listed. X3TC here. Ho hum. I also could not find a TL for hire either, but I have not let that slow me down. Only other problem up to then was finding where to buy Commodity Logistics Software Mk2, which after researching and flying about was in Omicron Lyrae.

Then I noticed the ore mines west of Oort cloud, and I have decided to trap Ore and distribute that as well, leaving the water as is.

I have counted 21000 units or ore in my save game at this point in time, and if I buy them at 127 (1 below avg) than it will cost me 2.667M, and if I sell them for 206, I will recoup 4.326M. All I got to do is trap enough in and around Terran space to sell at what I like. And feed the Mines with ecells, another source of income. I have targeted the 4 mines in Asteroid Belt, 2 Mines in Treasure Chest and the three mines in Nathans Voyage. With the mines west of Oort Cloud, I will have the output of the available NPC Ore mines to sell as my own.

I really like these ideas, I feel like I am feeding the game engine and I am enjoying the planning of what to do next. And buying Demiters at 300,000 rather than a station at millions, is a better bet too. I have not fired a shot yet, so I could get these cheaper, but not at the moment.

btw, I fired up "X3 map by Scorp" after exporting the save game data for the first time today, and used that to quickly ascertain the resources in the sectors I am aware of, and the ones just outside that that I have not discovered in game yet :) I like it a lot.

Fluff
x3tc

Post by Fluff » Mon, 4. Mar 13, 18:55

Aye, I'll update.

Before starting my economic incursion into Terran space, I decided to start slinging Nostrop Oil around in the Teladi sectors between Two Grand and Scale Plate Green. In my game, there's exactly two Sun Oil Refineries (an L and an M, both in Scale Plate Green) on that side of the Xenon sector which are trying to supply 19 factories. The Nostrop Oil distribution throughout the sectors was a bit odd. Both the refineries were running almost full and PTNI had plenty of food in their factories, but Profit Center Alpha and Two Grand were starving big time.

I put a CLS buyer on each of the refineries and I've got CLS sellers on all the factories in PTNI and Profit Center Alpha. My haulers are currently working on getting the goods to all the sellers. I'm considering putting a storage unit in Profit Center Alpha so that the Profit Center Alpha distributor doesn't have to go all the way back to Scale Plate Green to pick up more food, a problem that would only grow worse when I expand into Two Grand.

Timsup2nothin

Post by Timsup2nothin » Mon, 4. Mar 13, 19:13

Hippotastic wrote:Well an update...

I got the system bedded in, and bought a TP for my player ship to get taxi missions, and accumulated 8 mill credits. ( I can script money, but I have vowed to only spend what I "earn" this time...)

I got to the stage of putting more purifiers in, and bam, I cant buy Terran stations. They are just not listed. X3TC here. Ho hum. I also could not find a TL for hire either, but I have not let that slow me down. Only other problem up to then was finding where to buy Commodity Logistics Software Mk2, which after researching and flying about was in Omicron Lyrae.

Then I noticed the ore mines west of Oort cloud, and I have decided to trap Ore and distribute that as well, leaving the water as is.

I have counted 21000 units or ore in my save game at this point in time, and if I buy them at 127 (1 below avg) than it will cost me 2.667M, and if I sell them for 206, I will recoup 4.326M. All I got to do is trap enough in and around Terran space to sell at what I like. And feed the Mines with ecells, another source of income. I have targeted the 4 mines in Asteroid Belt, 2 Mines in Treasure Chest and the three mines in Nathans Voyage. With the mines west of Oort Cloud, I will have the output of the available NPC Ore mines to sell as my own.

I really like these ideas, I feel like I am feeding the game engine and I am enjoying the planning of what to do next. And buying Demiters at 300,000 rather than a station at millions, is a better bet too. I have not fired a shot yet, so I could get these cheaper, but not at the moment.

btw, I fired up "X3 map by Scorp" after exporting the save game data for the first time today, and used that to quickly ascertain the resources in the sectors I am aware of, and the ones just outside that that I have not discovered in game yet :) I like it a lot.
You can't get purifiers until some stage of the Aldrin plots. I'm committed to 'one plot mission per game day', so in my game the Terrans are gonna be thirsty for a while.

As to Ore, I recommend you adjust your price points. Ore is hugely abundant, so buying at 50 and selling at 129 works a lot better.

Timsup2nothin

Post by Timsup2nothin » Mon, 4. Mar 13, 19:20

Fluff wrote:Aye, I'll update.

Before starting my economic incursion into Terran space, I decided to start slinging Nostrop Oil around in the Teladi sectors between Two Grand and Scale Plate Green. In my game, there's exactly two Sun Oil Refineries (an L and an M, both in Scale Plate Green) on that side of the Xenon sector which are trying to supply 19 factories. The Nostrop Oil distribution throughout the sectors was a bit odd. Both the refineries were running almost full and PTNI had plenty of food in their factories, but Profit Center Alpha and Two Grand were starving big time.

I put a CLS buyer on each of the refineries and I've got CLS sellers on all the factories in PTNI and Profit Center Alpha. My haulers are currently working on getting the goods to all the sellers. I'm considering putting a storage unit in Profit Center Alpha so that the Profit Center Alpha distributor doesn't have to go all the way back to Scale Plate Green to pick up more food, a problem that would only grow worse when I expand into Two Grand.
A storage unit and shuttles is one solution. You might just consider putting jump drives on the haulers for those sectors though. Dock a 'fueling tank' at some convenient location and add a 'reload jump fuel' waypoint, then dedicate a freighter to keeping the fuel tank full.

Due to operating on the Xenon path (Scale Plate Green) it's a good idea to have your haulers jump capable anyway and set turn on their jump away capabilities.

Kirlack
x3tc

Post by Kirlack » Mon, 4. Mar 13, 20:32

I'm running a similar set up to Fluff, but for different results (as documented in one of Tim's other threads). What I'm finding is that there's no way to keep the whole region stocked unless you either: a) set up traps in other Teladi regions and thus drain that region's supply to feed PTNI, or b) set up your own Refineries with the attendant flower farms. The Two Grand to Nyanna's Hideout region has more than enough energy to feed such a project.

@Fluff: How are you finding that region for Ore/Silicon supply? It's coming up a little light in my game, I've had to import Silicon from Circle of Labour to keep the tech plants running.

@Tim: Sorry for not posting an update on the experiment, but I've been busy writing my new DiD this weekend :) As soon as I take a break from piracy I'll get back to it and post an update. You want it in this thread or the one where we originally talked about it?

Fluff
x3tc

Post by Fluff » Mon, 4. Mar 13, 20:47

Kirlack wrote:@Fluff: How are you finding that region for Ore/Silicon supply? It's coming up a little light in my game, I've had to import Silicon from Circle of Labour to keep the tech plants running.
Yeah, I may have the same resource problem. The low resources in PTNI are Ore and Silicon. Profit Center Alpha and Two Grand are topped off, but those factories weren't even running due to the food shortage, so those two sectors may also be light. I haven't started managing any other resources in that area yet; after I get the food sorted out, I'm planning on moving into energy and ore.

Timsup2nothin

Post by Timsup2nothin » Mon, 4. Mar 13, 22:14

Kirlack wrote:I'm running a similar set up to Fluff, but for different results (as documented in one of Tim's other threads). What I'm finding is that there's no way to keep the whole region stocked unless you either: a) set up traps in other Teladi regions and thus drain that region's supply to feed PTNI, or b) set up your own Refineries with the attendant flower farms. The Two Grand to Nyanna's Hideout region has more than enough energy to feed such a project.

@Fluff: How are you finding that region for Ore/Silicon supply? It's coming up a little light in my game, I've had to import Silicon from Circle of Labour to keep the tech plants running.

@Tim: Sorry for not posting an update on the experiment, but I've been busy writing my new DiD this weekend :) As soon as I take a break from piracy I'll get back to it and post an update. You want it in this thread or the one where we originally talked about it?
Here's fine. I'll be eagerly reading the new DiD, so no need to apologize.

Once your food line has been running long enough to reveal the mineral shortage you should have some serious trained pilots. Here's how I use a single logistician when the objective is to keep factories running in a region, not necessarily trying to monopolize the mineral trade.

First, he needs a jumpdrive. He needs his jumpdrive settings set up so that a full load of jump fuel is 500 cells and minimum jump is set to 0. And do NOT give him fight command software, else he will ignore the fact that he has a jumpdrive and go flying off looking for drones and mosquitoes.

If you home base him at some station or other you can use it as a fuel source, just give a 'fly to' and a 'reload jump fuel'. I've found that they will not take cells for jump fuel from a station that isn't their home base if the station considers them a resource. If you want them to refuel at one of your stations that is not their home base you can set up a 'fuel tank'* and have them reload from that.

Anyway, first stop is always the fueling. Then use 'generate waypoints' on a few sectors, range zero, buy ore manual price 60. The sectors can be anywhere. I try to use sectors that are not grossly far away, have multiple ore mines, and generally have the mines fairly close to the gates. Treasure Chest is ideal for your purpose. I think there's a good one in that Split strip just west of where you are operating. I try to give them buys in at least three different race spaces so they aren't completely shut down if someone gets mad at me.

Then use generate waypoints in whatever way most easily covers your territory. Use whatever selling price you see fit. If I'm just trying to make sure the factories keep running I use 160. As long as the freighter gets there before they run out it serves the purpose. You won't have to be the sole source so one freighter should have no trouble keeping up, and 100 credits minimum profit per unit moved is tidy.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I use fuel tanks a lot. If you use CLS freighters to distribute product from a factory you run into the occasional problem where the factory runs out of e-cells momentarily...and without fail during that brief time before the energy delivery your freighter will land, find no jump fuel, load up and jump off to deliver...and not have fuel for the return trip.

A fuel tank is permanently docked and has one command 'load e-cells max cargo'. Even if the station runs out of cells briefly the freighters can refuel, and as soon as the station gets energy the fuel tank will top itself off. This also works around the problem of having freighters refueling at stations that are not their home base, since any freighter can waypoint the fuel tank.

Hippotastic
x4

Post by Hippotastic » Mon, 4. Mar 13, 22:22

hmmm, so if my ambitions with the ore are out of whack as it is readily available, maybe what I should do it feed it into Teladi space instead and go after nostrop oil...

Timsup2nothin

Post by Timsup2nothin » Mon, 4. Mar 13, 22:27

Hippotastic wrote:hmmm, so if my ambitions with the ore are out of whack as it is readily available, maybe what I should do it feed it into Teladi space instead and go after nostrop oil...
It's tough to export stuff from the Terran sectors efficiently due to lack of jump capability. I'd use the local Terran sources internally. Buying at 50 and selling at 129 is a 79 per unit profit and well worth collecting. Plus you can (eventually) add your own factories to consume the excess, just like the ice.

Monopolizing transport is always worthwhile whether the product is scarce (nostrop, water) or abundant (ice, ore). You just have to figure out whether it's abundant or scarce to set your pricing.

Hippotastic
x4

Post by Hippotastic » Tue, 5. Mar 13, 15:48

Timsup2nothin wrote:
Hippotastic wrote:hmmm, so if my ambitions with the ore are out of whack as it is readily available, maybe what I should do it feed it into Teladi space instead and go after nostrop oil...
It's tough to export stuff from the Terran sectors efficiently due to lack of jump capability. I'd use the local Terran sources internally. Buying at 50 and selling at 129 is a 79 per unit profit and well worth collecting. Plus you can (eventually) add your own factories to consume the excess, just like the ice.

Monopolizing transport is always worthwhile whether the product is scarce (nostrop, water) or abundant (ice, ore). You just have to figure out whether it's abundant or scarce to set your pricing.
I will be honest and say this really took the wind out of my sails. Not that you are wrong delivering the bad news, it is that I just realised how little I understand of the market and its conditions. I think on reflection today, I will setup a relay service to move the ore across the sectors and sell at a higher than average price. I know I wont sell anything for a while, but turning on its head the fact that you cannot jump anywhere in Terran space, I have this idea.

I am going to feed Ecell into the ore mines west of Oort cloud. I am going to bring them back to a storage space in Oort Cloud. I am going to setup a CLS2 to sell at a high price, or dump the load in a storage tank 2 sectors on. This storage tank, with have a CLS2 to do the same. This will continue until I get to Asteroid Belt. There are four mines there. I will keep going into Argon space, and going with my original plan, I will have a convoy of ore leaving Terran space, or being sold at high prices. Any seller who wants to get to a station deeper in the system, will have to fly there as they cannot jump and I should get the sale when they are desperate enough and the stock of Ore gets low.

Well that my plan anyhow. Then use the Ore in Terran space to support the Nostrop Oil resource shortages others have mentioned. Or sell it, I might have new plans by then :)

Return to “X Trilogy Universe”