Calling all Linux Geeks

General discussions about the games by Egosoft including X-BTF, XT, X², X³: Reunion, X³: Terran Conflict and X³: Albion Prelude.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

Mellen
x4

Post by Mellen » Sat, 1. Dec 12, 10:37

PookyMacMan wrote:
Mellen wrote:Btw. any chance X3: Reunion could be made available through Steam on Linux?
Not speaking officially for Ego (obviously!), but right now IIRC Steam is just in it's beta for Linux and thus it will be a while before it could even be available.

Secondly, it probably wouldn't be because Egosoft didn't directly develop X3 Reunion on Linux. Case in point: the Mac versions of the X games (since X2) are not on Steam even though Steam supports Mac, because Virtual Programming released the Mac version and not Ego.
I know it is a long shot but it is the month of miracles according to some. ;)

I did away with physical media games a long time ago and I've repurchased the games I liked the most through Steam - including the X-series, only to find my attention shifting almost completely to working on the Linux platform. I've never come across a digital download version of X3 for Linux, so I haven't played the game in a very long time now.

... and WINE and I have never been very good friends. I seem to always hit the "FIXME"s in the WINE code. :D

danpaul88
x4

Post by danpaul88 » Sat, 1. Dec 12, 11:49

Mellen wrote:... and WINE and I have never been very good friends. I seem to always hit the "FIXME"s in the WINE code. :D
You could always fix the FIXME's ;) It's like a self assembly car kit... they give you the nuts and bolts but you have to fit them together to make it all work :D

fallenwizard
x4

Post by fallenwizard » Sun, 2. Dec 12, 02:42

Porting X3 to Linux is a great thing, Egosoft. The Linux Game Publishing versions were always outdated and too expensive. I never purchased them.

I think SteamPlay is a great concept. Buying a game once and play it on all 3 major platforms is awesome.

By the way: Have you tried to contact Ryan C. Gordon (aka Icculus) yet? He certainly won't join the company but I am sure he will do a good job at porting the X3 games to Linux.

The ports he made always worked fine. From UT2004 to many of the Humble Indie Bundle games.

Return to “X Trilogy Universe”