[TC - Guide] An Idiots Guide to CLS

General discussions about the games by Egosoft including X-BTF, XT, X², X³: Reunion, X³: Terran Conflict and X³: Albion Prelude.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

GlassDeviant
x3tc

Re: [TC - Guide] An Idiots Guide to CLS

Post by GlassDeviant » Thu, 8. Nov 12, 23:47

Kirlack wrote:An 'Idiots' Illustrated Guide to CLS Training and Usage [TC]

So you want to set up some CLS pilots, but you're not quite sure how they work? Have no fear! This guide should cover everything you need to know.
No offense, but you fail in your purpose from the get-go.

1) CLS is jargon, therefore you must define CLS first thing.

2) Next you need to state what version of X3, and what mods (if any) and versions of them are needed.

Nanook
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Post by Nanook » Thu, 8. Nov 12, 23:56

If you read beyond the first few lines, you see that CLS means Commodity Logistics Software. And if you read the thread title, you see 'TC'. :P

Oh, and if you need to know any more of the game's acronym's, check out the FAQ link in my signature. :wink:

Finally, being harsh towards someone who's contributed their free time to produce a useful guide like this isn't going to endear you to most of the forum members here. :roll:
Have a great idea for the current or a future game? You can post it in the [L3+] Ideas forum.

X4 is a journey, not a destination. Have fun on your travels.

GlassDeviant
x3tc

Post by GlassDeviant » Fri, 9. Nov 12, 00:06

Nanook wrote:If you read beyond the first few lines, you see that CLS means Commodity Logistics Software. And if you read the thread title, you see 'TC'.

Oh, and if you need to know any more of the game's acronym's, check out the FAQ link in my signature.

Finally, being harsh towards someone who's contributed their free time to produce a useful guide like this isn't going to endear you to most of the forum members here.
CLS equalling Commodity Logistics Software, though likely in the context, isn't a given, and for someone new to the game, i.e.: someone who really needs an "idiots guide", spelling things like this out is, if not mandatory, at least a good suggestion (which is why in the "idiots guide" book series this is done extensively).

As for "being harsh", you are entitled to your opinion. I took my time to provide constructive criticism to improve a good guide, and you were no more or less "harsh" towards me.

Kirlack
x3tc

Post by Kirlack » Fri, 9. Nov 12, 00:07

:lol:

Thanks Nanook :D

The guide was originally written for a friend who needed some help with CLS, it was actually him that suggested I post it for everyone ;) So I just copy/pasted the bulk of it and touched it up here and there. I'll admit, there are things that could be clearer, but I assume everyone has at least some experience with both the game and the CLS software in order to come looking here :p

GlassDeviant
x3tc

Post by GlassDeviant » Fri, 9. Nov 12, 00:17

TBH no, I personally have been playing for only a few days now and only just stumbled on this thread. Perhaps I am the only such person in the entire world, but I would not seriously think that. :)

Nanook
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Post by Nanook » Fri, 9. Nov 12, 01:20

GlassDeviant wrote:...
As for "being harsh", you are entitled to your opinion. I took my time to provide constructive criticism to improve a good guide, and you were no more or less "harsh" towards me.
When you tell someone "you fail in your purpose from the get-go", that isn't constructive criticism, it's being harsh. It creates the tone for the rest of your post. Note that my response was just the opposite, friendly advice and information in the first two lines, with a bit of a warning in the third. I'd hardly consider that 'harsh', more like trying to keep the peace, which is part of my job as a moderator. :)
Have a great idea for the current or a future game? You can post it in the [L3+] Ideas forum.

GlassDeviant
x3tc

Post by GlassDeviant » Fri, 9. Nov 12, 01:57

You are entitled to your opinion of course, but the fact is that you start a primer with fundamentals, before launching into the meat of the article.

As it stands, it is more of an intermediate guide.

JellybeanTiger
x3tc

Post by JellybeanTiger » Fri, 9. Nov 12, 03:26

An idiot's guide then you post 500 things and confuse the hell out of me for one lol.
Noone I guess knows how an idiot's brain works.

That's one thing an intelligent person will never know because they've never been there!

Morkonan
x3tc

Post by Morkonan » Fri, 9. Nov 12, 09:19

JellybeanTiger wrote:An idiot's guide then you post 500 things and confuse the hell out of me for one lol....
I know it all sounds very complicated. But, once you get the hang of it and get some practical experience with it, it gets much easier to understand. Weaving all the various commands together can really become a sort of art form. The beautiful thing is that with such a varied and flexible command set, you can invent many different ways to handle the same situation and in a well developed game, you might use them all. Or, you might just decide to use them in a highly convoluted way, just for fun, sort of like building a mousetrap out of battleships and bailing wire. :D

That being said, even experienced players come to the forums and end up learning something new, even after years of play. Though, "not knowing" the little new things they pick up didn't harm their enjoyment of the game, it just refreshes it.

Nanook
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Post by Nanook » Fri, 9. Nov 12, 21:06

GlassDeviant wrote:You are entitled to your opinion of course, but the fact is that you start a primer with fundamentals, before launching into the meat of the article.

As it stands, it is more of an intermediate guide.
JellybeanTiger wrote:An idiot's guide then you post 500 things and confuse the hell out of me for one lol.
Noone I guess knows how an idiot's brain works.

That's one thing an intelligent person will never know because they've never been there!
I think you're both missing the salient point here. This guide is NOT about the basics of using a CLS pilot. It's about a method used to train them ahead of time, rather than on the job, and then effective ways of using those trained pilots. And as such, the reader is assumed to have some familiarity with the workings of Commodity Logistics Software, assuming they've read the readme that comes with the Bonus Pack when they install it. :P

So give the OP a break, will ya'? Being overly critical of someone who gives up their free time to produce something useful to others tends to make them not want to bother anymore, and tends to discourage other players from sharing their knowledge. :roll:

JellybeanTiger
x3tc

Post by JellybeanTiger » Sat, 10. Nov 12, 02:25

One day this game will go online and I will finally get to play it after all the years I've owned both the x3 games.

I will get experience from someone.

On my own,I will never ever ever ever get into this game because I don't understand it.

Even with Prelude it guides you but then I got shot up for no reason ,reloaded and repeat and then gave up on it.

JellybeanTiger
x3tc

Post by JellybeanTiger » Sat, 10. Nov 12, 02:38

An intellectual's guide this is not an idiot's guide!

You don't understand us at all.

Progress-M
x3tc

Post by Progress-M » Sun, 11. Nov 12, 06:30

This is a great guide.

All you need to do to is follow the stage-by-stage instructions and even if you don't understand what you are doing then and there, it'll start to work.

Then you will see how it works, in-game, and you can read the guide again with a much better idea of what's what.

I have been hoping for someone to write a guide like this, because I've tried CLS a bit before but I think I wasn't doing a very effective job.

Thank you for taking the time to write this guide and please don't take the above posts as any indication on how the rest of us feel.

StarSword
x3tc

Post by StarSword » Mon, 12. Nov 12, 01:18

I'm planning to use CLS to keep a carrier-based wing of Falcon Haulers loaded with missiles and EBC ammo, and I have a question: how would you go about using CLS to restock fighters that are docked to a carrier? Can I use a freighter as planned, or would I have to use another Falcon for the job?
TC unless otherwise specified. | Find me on Steam! | My X3TC Links | X and X Rebirth @ TVTropes

Morkonan
x3tc

Post by Morkonan » Mon, 12. Nov 12, 05:50

StarSword wrote:I'm planning to use CLS to keep a carrier-based wing of Falcon Haulers loaded with missiles and EBC ammo, and I have a question: how would you go about using CLS to restock fighters that are docked to a carrier? Can I use a freighter as planned, or would I have to use another Falcon for the job?
As long as it's armed with a transporter beam, any ship will do to resupply your carrier. IIRC, if your fighters are homebased to the carrier, they'll resupply there, automagically, if the carrier has the needed item in stock.

StarSword
x3tc

Post by StarSword » Mon, 12. Nov 12, 06:17

So, do I tell the CLS ship to resupply the carrier or the fighters?

I ask because the carrier is my personal Panther, which doesn't exactly have the world's biggest cargo bay.
TC unless otherwise specified. | Find me on Steam! | My X3TC Links | X and X Rebirth @ TVTropes

Shaevar
x3tc

Post by Shaevar » Mon, 12. Nov 12, 07:34

I'm not sure, but I think it cannot resupply a fighter if he is docked. I could be wrong though....

Personnaly, I always prefer to resupply my carrier, and let the fighter take what they need individually in the cargo hold. I find it much easier to set up with the CLS and to manage

Kirlack
x3tc

Post by Kirlack » Mon, 12. Nov 12, 15:49

The easiest way to set it up StarSword would be to have the CLS restock the carrier, then set each fighters missile resupply in the weapons menu. I use something similar in my DiD, my Tenjin fighter wing auto restock on mosquito missiles and EBC ammo whenever they return to homebase, and the hombase is stocked by the CLS freighter :)

GlassDeviant
x3tc

Post by GlassDeviant » Thu, 15. Nov 12, 04:43

It would be cool if you could set the fighters to resupply from some sort of armoured transport somewhere in the back lines of the battle formation.

StarSword
x3tc

Post by StarSword » Thu, 15. Nov 12, 04:56

^I didn't want to hijack the guide so I had one of the mods transfer the conversation to this thread.

Return to “X Trilogy Universe”