[TC - Guide] An Idiots Guide to CLS

General discussions about the games by Egosoft including X-BTF, XT, X², X³: Reunion, X³: Terran Conflict and X³: Albion Prelude.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

Thrasher91604
x3tc

Post by Thrasher91604 » Fri, 15. Jun 12, 02:27

Very well written job! :)

One thing that has bothered me about CLS.

"Manual input" and
"Manual input up to"

appear to both be treated as "Manual input up to"

I'd like my ELT to sit around and wait for units to fill up to the manual amount before taking off, but he leaves with less than the manual input in both cases.

Cheers!

Triaxx2
x4

Post by Triaxx2 » Fri, 15. Jun 12, 04:23

Manual input versus manual input up to.

Manual input means he will continually offload shipments of a maximum of the manual input amount, without regard to remaining space on the target ship. So if you tell it to unload 1000 units of energy, it will repeatedly unload 1000 units of energy to the target until it has no more energy to unload.

Manual input up to, means he will unload units until the target has 1000 units, and then stop. If the target drops below a certain percentage of that number, the filling will resume until the target is back at that number.

Taking less than the full amount is controlled under supply settings, which tells the ship the minimum amount that it is allowed to take from the source, so if it's set to 50% of it's load, it can launch with that amount, rather than waiting for the entire cargo hold to fill up. So if to tell it to load two thousand units of energy, but it only has 1000 available, it will load that thousand units, and then leave. If there is only 900 available, it will wait until it can reach the requisite 1000 units before leaving.
A Pirate's Revenge Completed Now in PDF by _Zap_
APR Book 2: Best Served Cold Updated 8/5/2016

The Tale of Ea't s'Quid Completed

Dovie'andi se tovya sagain

Thrasher91604
x3tc

Post by Thrasher91604 » Fri, 15. Jun 12, 08:15

Ah, OK, thanks for that clarification!

theroguewriter

Post by theroguewriter » Fri, 15. Jun 12, 09:13

Wow, pretty comlicated stuff to the feeble minded like me. I just never bought the commodity logistics software cause i had no idea what it did. Still not sure...but gla d i never gave myself the headache. :)

Triaxx2
x4

Post by Triaxx2 » Fri, 15. Jun 12, 11:34

Oh, and because I missed the question about levels transferring, in addition to transferring from CLS to CAG equivalently, if you use any of the other Lucike Scripts, such as Economy and Supply Trader, or Prospector, those also share the same level structure.

None of them share the same structure as the default Mk3 traders however.
A Pirate's Revenge Completed Now in PDF by _Zap_
APR Book 2: Best Served Cold Updated 8/5/2016

The Tale of Ea't s'Quid Completed

Dovie'andi se tovya sagain

MarvinTheMartian
x4

Post by MarvinTheMartian » Fri, 15. Jun 12, 12:41

At last, a guide for CLS :) Thank you.
May I add a couple of comments...

First. There's no point in training your CLS pilot. At all. send your ship to the trading station in Heron's Nebula and fire the pilot (trader settings) until you get a Cargo Messenger. You then have a pilot who can use a jump drive etc. in all of two minutes.

Second. Turn training off. That way they don't cost anything while they're training (in case you want a Logistician) when you want them to train up a level, turn training on and they will (almost) instantly level up because it keeps track of experience even when training is off, this saves hundreds of credits :D sorry, that's the Teladi in me ;)
Where's the kaboom? There was supposed to be an earth-shattering kaboom!
X3AP 3.1 Printable Universe Sector Map

Kirlack
x3tc

Post by Kirlack » Fri, 15. Jun 12, 15:24

Nanook wrote:Nice guide. You should submit it to Graphil for inclusion in the Ultimate Guides sticky. :)
Thanks Nanook, I might just do that :)
Libelnon wrote:I spy the Goshawk IV... Is this from Peace(s) of Eight by any chance Kir?
Yeah, I couldn't be bothered switching to a different save just to pick up the screenies so I loaded Po8. Didn't save it though, so the DiD isn't affected :p
MarvinThe Martian wrote:There's no point in training your CLS pilot. At all. send your ship to the trading station in Heron's Nebula and fire the pilot (trader settings) until you get a Cargo Messenger.
I did consider putting that in the guide, but the point was to make a guide for those who just don't understand CLS. I didn't want to over complicate it with consta-hiring/firing, which is kind of an exploit in my opinion.

When I posted the guide to Roguey's website I was more or less instantly asked if I'd do one on CAG, so I'll explore that at some point over the weekend :)

ConCorDian
x3tc

Post by ConCorDian » Fri, 15. Jun 12, 16:30

CAG would be nice, ive got CLS more or less licked to the stage that i can use it for everything i need to use it for. but i have litterally spent 5-10 mins on CAG and said bugger it, i didnt need to due to the way i use traders... but if you could write a CAG system similar to your CLS tutorial i would probably give it a go...
find me on Steam
check out Roguey's Wiki - still under development

Snafu_X3
x3tc

Post by Snafu_X3 » Thu, 28. Jun 12, 02:04

ConCorDian wrote:CAG would be nice, ive got CLS more or less licked to the stage that i can use it for everything i need to use it for. but i have litterally spent 5-10 mins on CAG and said bugger it, i didnt need to due to the way i use traders...
CAG is pretty simple (but I would say that, wouldn't I?)

Assign your CAG to a station you own (ie homebase it)
If this station is self-supporting the new CAG will not do anything; assign it elsewhere
Select 'run CAG' or whatever from the command screen; given its rank limitations it should do what you want (ie supply & sell its homebase products)

It won't use a jumpdrive until trained to L5 (IIRC), after that it should use one automatically. It /won't/ buy itself a jumpdrive automatically at (or above) a certain level, unlike Mk3 traders (who will buy one at or about L11) - you have to do that bit. If supplied with the appropriate s/w it /will/ go & buy drones etc automatically (unless already carrying them)

More details best pursued in a separate thread, I think..

[I understand your frustration: CLS2 was easy, but I'm still yet to master CLS1.. it makes no sense to me]
Wiki X:R 1st Tit capping
Wiki X3:TC vanilla: Guide to generic missions, Guide to finding & capping Aran
Never played AP; all X3 advice is based on vanilla+bonus pack TC or before: AP has not changed much WRT general advice.

I know how to spell teladiuminumiumium, I just don't know when to stop!

Dom (Wiki Moderator) 8-) DxDiag

Ketraar
EGOSOFT
EGOSOFT
x4

Post by Ketraar » Thu, 28. Jun 12, 10:48

X3TC Walkthrough Video Tutorial Series by CdrDave
19a-c are about CAG/CLS maybe add the link to this guide as visual aid? In any case its a pretty useful guide for both info and reference.

MFG

Ketraar

Kirlack
x3tc

Post by Kirlack » Thu, 28. Jun 12, 12:10

I'm intending to write both a CLS1 guide and one for CAG, but I need to do some research and play with the various settings involved first. I'm kinda busy with RL and writing my DiD lately though, so it'll be case of when I have time.

prastagus2
x4

Post by prastagus2 » Thu, 28. Jun 12, 16:52

CLS is great for HQ ship construction.
CAG sounds great but often time it idles and only selling one product at a time when it does move.

I also have question. If filght time is needed for experience of CLS/CAG, then wouldn't slow ship be better as a trainer since it'll spend more time in flight? Also wouldn't it be better if it only fly to one station a few sectors away instead of 4 stations?

Kirlack
x3tc

Post by Kirlack » Fri, 29. Jun 12, 17:50

prastagus2 wrote:If filght time is needed for experience of CLS/CAG, then wouldn't slow ship be better as a trainer since it'll spend more time in flight? Also wouldn't it be better if it only fly to one station a few sectors away instead of 4 stations?
Yep, and that's something that Nanook and Morkonan both mentioned on the first page of the thread. I've never done it that way as I already know my method works, but you're all quite right, slower ships with longer flights will train your pilots faster.

Let's say you built a factory in Cloud Base South East. You could set your four waypoints as the Trading Stations in Antigone Memorial, Three Worlds, Cloud Base South West and your own station (or the FATS) in CBSE, and send a Mercury or something even slower. A couple of rotations of that route should be enough to get your pilot's level up, maybe even enough to reach Logistician.

jelf
x4

Post by jelf » Tue, 14. Aug 12, 02:42

Thank you very much. This is a great guide.

Scion Drakhar
x3ap

Post by Scion Drakhar » Fri, 5. Oct 12, 19:56

Thanks Kirlack. I've been using CLS for some time now and this guide showed me several ways to get more out of it. Well done.
A Pirate's Story.pdf(KIA) by _Zap _ From Nothing.PDF(complete) by _Zap _ Prodigal Son(active) Original Thread, Prodigal Son_PDF

GlassDeviant
x3tc

Re: [TC - Guide] An Idiots Guide to CLS

Post by GlassDeviant » Thu, 8. Nov 12, 23:47

Kirlack wrote:An 'Idiots' Illustrated Guide to CLS Training and Usage [TC]

So you want to set up some CLS pilots, but you're not quite sure how they work? Have no fear! This guide should cover everything you need to know.
No offense, but you fail in your purpose from the get-go.

1) CLS is jargon, therefore you must define CLS first thing.

2) Next you need to state what version of X3, and what mods (if any) and versions of them are needed.

Nanook
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Post by Nanook » Thu, 8. Nov 12, 23:56

If you read beyond the first few lines, you see that CLS means Commodity Logistics Software. And if you read the thread title, you see 'TC'. :P

Oh, and if you need to know any more of the game's acronym's, check out the FAQ link in my signature. :wink:

Finally, being harsh towards someone who's contributed their free time to produce a useful guide like this isn't going to endear you to most of the forum members here. :roll:
Have a great idea for the current or a future game? You can post it in the [L3+] Ideas forum.

X4 is a journey, not a destination. Have fun on your travels.

GlassDeviant
x3tc

Post by GlassDeviant » Fri, 9. Nov 12, 00:06

Nanook wrote:If you read beyond the first few lines, you see that CLS means Commodity Logistics Software. And if you read the thread title, you see 'TC'.

Oh, and if you need to know any more of the game's acronym's, check out the FAQ link in my signature.

Finally, being harsh towards someone who's contributed their free time to produce a useful guide like this isn't going to endear you to most of the forum members here.
CLS equalling Commodity Logistics Software, though likely in the context, isn't a given, and for someone new to the game, i.e.: someone who really needs an "idiots guide", spelling things like this out is, if not mandatory, at least a good suggestion (which is why in the "idiots guide" book series this is done extensively).

As for "being harsh", you are entitled to your opinion. I took my time to provide constructive criticism to improve a good guide, and you were no more or less "harsh" towards me.

Kirlack
x3tc

Post by Kirlack » Fri, 9. Nov 12, 00:07

:lol:

Thanks Nanook :D

The guide was originally written for a friend who needed some help with CLS, it was actually him that suggested I post it for everyone ;) So I just copy/pasted the bulk of it and touched it up here and there. I'll admit, there are things that could be clearer, but I assume everyone has at least some experience with both the game and the CLS software in order to come looking here :p

GlassDeviant
x3tc

Post by GlassDeviant » Fri, 9. Nov 12, 00:17

TBH no, I personally have been playing for only a few days now and only just stumbled on this thread. Perhaps I am the only such person in the entire world, but I would not seriously think that. :)

Return to “X Trilogy Universe”