X3AP Retail versions

General discussions about the games by Egosoft including X-BTF, XT, X², X³: Reunion, X³: Terran Conflict and X³: Albion Prelude.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

greypanther
x3ap

Post by greypanther » Fri, 9. Mar 12, 20:10

Well that is very odd. I have looked every day for the past several weeks on Amazon and seen no trace of AP. ( I was hoping to pre-order. ) :gruebel:

I looked at Zavvi earlier and again got negative results. Same for Gamestation and Game. :(

I guess I will keep looking. Until I get fed up with the messing, after all its only one game of many that I wish to play, whats more its only an update of TC really. :roll:

*edit* Just looked again now and there it is 3 copies on Amazon! £19.99
:? ah but out of stock at that price, so yes £25 it is then!
Pray that there's intelligent life somewhere up in space
'Cause there's bugger all down here on Earth

darkest_majick
x4

Post by darkest_majick » Fri, 9. Mar 12, 20:24

The online stores all seem to be really slow at getting the terran war pack listed. I had the same problem earlier in the week so I placed my order with Egosoft. Searching for something else on Amazon I noticed it had appeared in my recommendations. This was last night; they must have sold out pretty fast. I remember having the same issues with the Superbox.

greypanther
x3ap

Post by greypanther » Fri, 9. Mar 12, 20:36

Well, thank you anyway, your post prompted me to look again and there it was! :)
Alls forgiven deepsilver, for now. :roll:

David Howland
x3tc

Release Date?

Post by David Howland » Mon, 12. Mar 12, 12:21

Have we a release date yet for the 'get rid of Steam.exe'?
The BANISHED RETURNS.
HEALTH WARNING! Steam Damages Freedom Of Speech!
Congratulations Egosoft on increasing memory usage from 2 to 3 Gb.
Bin playing X too long when Egosoft refuses to sell you their latest game?
The only steam I want is in my kettle! STEAM=GAME OVER.

CBJ
EGOSOFT
EGOSOFT
x4

Post by CBJ » Mon, 12. Mar 12, 12:44

Hopefully this week.

vtecem
x4

Post by vtecem » Mon, 12. Mar 12, 16:23

I ordered my Terran War Pack in the Egoshop on the 23rd of February... I haven't received any tracking info or anything letting me know it has shipped. Any idea when it will be shipped to me?

I do have a confirmation email that it was purchased.

CBJ
EGOSOFT
EGOSOFT
x4

Post by CBJ » Mon, 12. Mar 12, 16:31

I don't think anyone who reads the forum can answer that. You need to send a mail to orders@egosoft.com to ask about that kind of thing.

eladan
x4

Albion Prelude on unconnected PC

Post by eladan » Tue, 13. Mar 12, 09:37

It's a shame that Albion Prelude is steam only - steam isn't a good solution for everyone - though I understand the reasoning for it.

Something which the FAQ doesn't cover. My gaming PC has no internet connection at all. The PC I am typing this on has one, but is not used as a gaming PC. What is the possibility of being able to install and activate the game on this PC, and then move some/all files to a non-activated install on the gaming PC with the non-steam exe. Would this work?

Firewrath
x3tc

Post by Firewrath » Tue, 13. Mar 12, 12:50

I just want to note here, that I have dialup and even with that, rather limited net access currently. For instance, I Just read the 'X-Universe News #48'.

At the bottom of which I was ...unhappy to see the Steam requirement for AP. So after looking, checking the last/current page of this thread, and seeing these comments:
David Howland wrote:Have we a release date yet for the 'get rid of Steam.exe'?
CBJ wrote:Hopefully this week.
I must say that I was Extremely happy to hear that, and as such was going to buy whatever retail box I could find for AP (even with my currently limited budget) Purely because of the release of such an .exe for the game.

However I read a few pages back just to find out more information about such a patch and seen this:
CBJ wrote:As explained in the FAQ, you need a Steam account to install the game. The NoSteam EXE simply provides a means to play the game without Steam once the game is installed and activated. If you are not prepared to set up a Steam account at all then you won't be able to play X3AP.
Now I have a Steam account, but as noted in other threads, I have issues with Steam. Just for reference, I've had Steam since day one of it's release, so it's not like I havnt tried it, or don't know how it works.
I say that because of this:
Steam FAQ wrote: We are aware that at least some of the people who take the decision not to use Steam "on principle" are doing so on the basis of inaccurate information or misundertandings about the nature and limitations of Steam, and we would urge those people to read the rest of this FAQ carefully before making their decision.
Now I've also read Egosofts reason for using Steam, and I understand where you are coming from business-wise, but I was a sure sell for AP before I read the absolute Steam requirement. Now though I can't say that I will purchase AP, even with the 'NoSteam.exe'. One big reason is that I do not like having to download and install a large software suite that I will Never use onto my PC just to play one game, and yes, I can say I'll never use it because I do have other games on my Steam account, but it and those games are not currently installed on my PC, havn't been for a long time and wont be any time soon.

I know I'm just one lost buy* VS the newer 'larger audience' and that statistically I don't matter, but I just wanted to throw this up and have a say anyways.

(*I'll admit the 'NoSteam.exe' has me tempted to buy AP, but with no guarantee that it'll be updated and all AP patch updates released only through Steam, it seems unlikely.
However maybe Steam will wiseup to people like me and release a client that only validates game installs, patches games, isnt 200-300megs and doesn't have to be run constantly to play the games.
...Ya know, like Impulse. :P)

ThommoHawk
x4

Post by ThommoHawk » Wed, 14. Mar 12, 06:45

My Albion Prelude War Pack arrived from EGOSOFT today :)
(Edit: actually it is the 'X3Terran War Pack', - did not mean to confuse anyone - I think of it as AP)

I might find someone to gift it to as I already have it on steam.

Thanks Egosoft-folks.

I support egosoft :lol: Looking forward now to X REBIRTH
Last edited by ThommoHawk on Sun, 18. Mar 12, 04:15, edited 1 time in total.
[XTrilogy]: Holy Argnu cows! I have found it! An asteroid of pure ore - 100% - I am rich! Now, I just need to find one like that made from silicon. hmmm, where do I want to go today?
X REBIRTH? "JUST A TOURIST until X4 IS RELEASED! Because That SUPERNOVA sure went FUBAR" (Quoting T.Hawk. Read all about it at: http://forum.egosoft.com/viewtopic.php?t=353678) :x3:

David Howland
x3tc

Agreed!

Post by David Howland » Wed, 14. Mar 12, 17:11

As do we all Thommohawk,
Lets hope Rebirth comes with some type of no steam work-around too? Then setting up AP will prove a useful dummy run!
The BANISHED RETURNS.
HEALTH WARNING! Steam Damages Freedom Of Speech!
Congratulations Egosoft on increasing memory usage from 2 to 3 Gb.
Bin playing X too long when Egosoft refuses to sell you their latest game?
The only steam I want is in my kettle! STEAM=GAME OVER.

CBJ
EGOSOFT
EGOSOFT
x4

Post by CBJ » Wed, 14. Mar 12, 17:48

The NoSteam EXE for X3AP is now from the Downloads page, in the Bonus Material section for X3: Albion Prelude. There is an additional FAQ entry in the Steam FAQ which explains how to use it.

scrubbs
x3ap

Post by scrubbs » Wed, 14. Mar 12, 23:49

I have to agree with every thing Firewrath says. I have a steam account with numerous games on it and still find it an extremely irksome and annoying way to run a game. even the way to "switch it off" it not made easy :evil:
so I think this might be the last game I will be using through steam
A shame really but it's the only ammunition I have got.

ok back to lurking :D

Snickly
x3tc

Post by Snickly » Thu, 15. Mar 12, 15:35

I downloaded the "NoSteam EXE for X3AP" and it doesn´t work with my X3TC.(I just get a message that it doesn´t find a DLL file), Is this because I don´t have Steam installed at all on my games PC ?
I don´t have Internet on my games PC so can I download Steam and just move the whole thing via Extern-hard drive and then install the "NoSteam EXE for X3AP" ? :? [/img]
Snickly -signing off

CBJ
EGOSOFT
EGOSOFT
x4

Post by CBJ » Thu, 15. Mar 12, 15:47

I'm a little confused by your explanation. The X3AP NoSteam EXE is for playing X3AP, not X3TC. Perhaps if you were to create a new thread in Tech Support and go through, step by step, how you've installed X3TC and X3AP, and what you've then done with the X3AP NoSteam EXE, then we might be able to help.

greypanther
x3ap

Post by greypanther » Thu, 15. Mar 12, 22:19

Thank you for your patience CBJ. :)

I too got my War pack today, I will attempt to instal it soon. I have questions.

I can instal the whole thing on a seperate partition on my HD and my 3.1 TC will be unafected on the other partition?

If I go with the no steam exe., ( only the patching thing is a concern, steam can go jump! ) is it a one way street? i.e.: if you produce another good patch, can I reinstal the game on Steam and get it?

Does it mean you intend to offer new patches for AP? :roll:

Why oh why don't Egosoft do any merchandise?

*edit* I did not get the option to place the TC 3.2, Steam version on the other partition! ARGGHHH! I hope I can recover TC to no Steam and 3.1! Not a good start! :( In the past games have always asked where to instal. Another minus to Steam? :( ( Although when I think about it, maybe Steam always operates that way? )

CBJ
EGOSOFT
EGOSOFT
x4

Post by CBJ » Fri, 16. Mar 12, 00:31

greypanther wrote:If I go with the no steam exe., ( only the patching thing is a concern, steam can go jump! ) is it a one way street? i.e.: if you produce another good patch, can I reinstal the game on Steam and get it?
No, it's not a one-way street at all. Just tell Steam to update your local installation and you'll be back to the normal Steam version.
greypanther wrote:*edit* I did not get the option to place the TC 3.2, Steam version on the other partition! ARGGHHH! I hope I can recover TC to no Steam and 3.1! Not a good start! :( In the past games have always asked where to instal. Another minus to Steam? :( ( Although when I think about it, maybe Steam always operates that way? )
Steam installs all its games in one place. Just install Steam on the drive/partition where you want the games to be installed.

greypanther
x3ap

Post by greypanther » Fri, 16. Mar 12, 00:38

Thanks CBJ. :)

I just did it and it all turned out fine it seems! :)

I still have TC 3.1. which is good.

There are differences in the graphics, it seems to me. AP is good.
I will comment on the game further I am sure, but thank you for more good work! :D

Tycow
x4

Post by Tycow » Fri, 16. Mar 12, 00:43

CBJ wrote:
greypanther wrote:If I go with the no steam exe., ( only the patching thing is a concern, steam can go jump! ) is it a one way street? i.e.: if you produce another good patch, can I reinstal the game on Steam and get it?
No, it's not a one-way street at all. Just tell Steam to update your local installation and you'll be back to the normal Steam version.
greypanther wrote:*edit* I did not get the option to place the TC 3.2, Steam version on the other partition! ARGGHHH! I hope I can recover TC to no Steam and 3.1! Not a good start! :( In the past games have always asked where to instal. Another minus to Steam? :( ( Although when I think about it, maybe Steam always operates that way? )
Steam installs all its games in one place. Just install Steam on the drive/partition where you want the games to be installed.
Building on what CBJ said, it is possible to move your Steam installation and all downloaded games without having to reacquire your games.

Follow the instructions here. I've done this on my main gaming PC, and can confirm it does work. :)

greypanther
x3ap

Post by greypanther » Fri, 16. Mar 12, 01:03

Thank you. :)

I have tried to download the AP bonus pack, but it will not let me. It says a sav. does not exist? Any help with out more detail and a shift to the other forum? :D

I will try your advice Ty, thank you.

Return to “X Trilogy Universe”