what i want in X-rebirth

General discussions about the games by Egosoft including X-BTF, XT, X², X³: Reunion, X³: Terran Conflict and X³: Albion Prelude.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

Cycrow
Moderator (Script&Mod)
Moderator (Script&Mod)
x4

Re: AI's and such

Post by Cycrow » Mon, 9. May 11, 19:47

bobxii wrote: [*]For the pathfinding problem: Instead of making every ship find its way around the collision meshes of stations and ships in a system, implement this in a hierarchal system:

1) For avoiding stations, have the script be executed by the station, instructing the ship's autopillock with (ostensibly pre-loaded) avoidance pathing. This way, the ships don't have to constantly call the station-avoid functions over and over. You could take this even further by implementing a sector script that handles all avoidance routines in the sector, and functions to minimize the need for station-based subroutines by herding ships into trade lanes.

2) For in-fleet avoidance, implement procedures into the fleet handler to quickly arrive at a stable, pre-computed flight configuration - currently, ships (fighters especially) often will end up oscillating between positions as they are kicked out by others following the same orders, which is non-desirable emergent behavior predicated upon having two non-communicating scripts.

3) For avoidance in battle: X3's fighters are basically worthless against capital ships because they inevitably collide with the ships' shields and die. If we used a fleet controller instead, we could create an instance of a fighter attack script, which has routines that can calculate an appropriate strafing run that all of the relevant fighters follow to avoid being eaten by shields.
[/list]

In summary, we can greatly enhance the behavior of both enemy and player fleets by creating scripts that control the entire group and concentrating AI development there.
tbh, it doesn't seem like that method would really work all that well, and u might be overcomplicating it abit

sounds like u want every station to have precomputed paths around the station, so when the ship gets close it follows the path around the station ?

for that to even work, all models would need to have predefined paths in different directions to function, which would be a complete waste of time

there are better ways to do it
proper in sector path planning would be better, this is where the ship will plot the route its going to take before flying by computing waypoints around objects

it is a fairly expensive routine, but as your limiting it to in sector objects, and you can seperate it up, in shouldn't be a problem.

basically, u compute the straight line path from your current position to the destintation target, trace along the path until it intersects with the collision sphere of the station, then plot a way point on the edge of the sphere.

then starting from that way point, the process repeats until you reach the end.

then the ship simply fly between these way points avoiding all stationary objects in sector

frankzappa

Post by frankzappa » Mon, 9. May 11, 21:14

TRAT513 wrote:Well not to be 'forceful and demanding' but it would be nice to have:
- More varieties of Ships
- For there still to be a Sol System and a Terran Race
- More varieties of wares for each race
- A L-O-N-G campaign (Something longer than like 8 missions like last time.)
- More little Mini games; Like the Spy Drone thing in X3:R
- Cockpits
- More realistic AI
- Race wars in actual game without modding
- Sectors to have better defences rather than just 1 Destroyer and 1 Carrier. Something like a Core Sector should have like 6 Destroyers and 4 Carriers. And make more catergories rather than just Border and Core.
- Crew Members
That would be great, I would pay double for that. I also want the improved combat though too, that me and others have mentioned. Although I would happily have no multiplayer content. Just an epic single player space experience.

bobxii
x3tc

Re: AI's and such

Post by bobxii » Tue, 10. May 11, 01:12

Cycrow wrote:tbh, it doesn't seem like that method would really work all that well, and u might be overcomplicating it abit

sounds like u want every station to have precomputed paths around the station, so when the ship gets close it follows the path around the station ?

for that to even work, all models would need to have predefined paths in different directions to function, which would be a complete waste of time

there are better ways to do it
proper in sector path planning would be better, this is where the ship will plot the route its going to take before flying by computing waypoints around objects

it is a fairly expensive routine, but as your limiting it to in sector objects, and you can seperate it up, in shouldn't be a problem.

basically, u compute the straight line path from your current position to the destintation target, trace along the path until it intersects with the collision sphere of the station, then plot a way point on the edge of the sphere.

then the ship simply fly between these way points avoiding all stationary objects in sector
Yes, but this isn't currently done, and it's obvious. Moreover, the current system is flawed because it doesn't consider momentum, the bane of both huge ships and tiny ones.

The reason for moving control into a station script is that one can then implement algorithms for keeping ships from running into each other, as well as the station. In fact, it seems that having a sector-driven script to control all of these things (space traffic controller) would be most efficient because it'll keep ships from ever going near stations to begin with (unless that was their specific goal).

I guess the best analogy is airliners - pilots are simply told what to do, and they execute it. These scripts could actually compute optimized flight paths for each of the major paths (gate to gate, gate to station & reverse) once and save it for later, only updating when something in the sector changes.

From a programming and execution standpoint, this is also a much more efficient paradigm, as it concentrates memory and computational complexity into one script that will have only a single instance running, and therefore makes it easier to maintain the illusion of intelligent behavior.

EDIT: More simply, one could just write in a script that implements parabolic pathing around stations (to make it look good :) )

frankzappa

Post by frankzappa » Tue, 10. May 11, 05:16

I hope they try to advertise it and hype it a bit more this time. I think most people have never even heard of the X series. Also, they made it a lot more friendly with Terran Conflict but that seemed to get released without much of a fanfare. I would love to see Rebirth get hyped all over the web, with big reviews on all the big websites.

SpidaFly
x3tc

Post by SpidaFly » Tue, 10. May 11, 06:23

I'd really like to see "probing" style exploration. Yeah I know it's straight from EVE - but this being single player game, a great deal of complexity and intrigue could be added without having to worry about the multiplayer ramifications.

It just makes sense to be able to fit "science" equipment to a ship and fly it as, say, a flagship with a wing of fighter and destroyer support.

I don't know HOW it could be made more interesting than EVE's "exploration" but I'm sure it could be done. Probe down wrecks, hideouts... I know, I know it sounds too muh like EVE - but it's a notion deeply rooted in scifi. it would make exploring the x universe a lot more fun and interactive.
[ external image ]
Luck and profit!

Zable Fahr
x2

Post by Zable Fahr » Tue, 10. May 11, 08:03

The interface needs to be vastly improved for me to consider X Rebirth.

The limitations of the original UI became very clear as the complexity increased.

X-BtF, X-tension and even X2 were fine, but X3 Reunion was an unwieldy mess. Too ambitious for the UI they had. I stared at menu after menu and thought this 'game' would be more like a chore to play. I have no problem with a learning curve since starting slowly and building up is a feature of space sims, but managing too much stuff with the godawful controls was not fun. I never bought Terran Conflict because of this.

Hopefully, the UI has had a complete redesign and the 'character driven' style sounds very promising.

tianlongprc
x3tc

Post by tianlongprc » Thu, 12. May 11, 01:39

My post got locked so I have to move it here. I think we need a new thread for x: rebirth.

I just wanted to ask if people have heard anything about the possibility of empire building in X-rebirth?

I love X3TC but when I got to the end game I did not like it as much. I wanted to take over sectors and rebuild the economy. Claim the sectors for my own. Now, I know there are mods to do what I want but the NPC stations will always re-spawn.

I am not asking that X-rebirth change that much from X3TC because I love that game play. But I would like a better endgame model.

TheGoldElite
x4

Post by TheGoldElite » Thu, 12. May 11, 01:46

Zable Fahr wrote:The interface needs to be vastly improved for me to consider X Rebirth.

The limitations of the original UI became very clear as the complexity increased.

X-BtF, X-tension and even X2 were fine, but X3 Reunion was an unwieldy mess. Too ambitious for the UI they had. I stared at menu after menu and thought this 'game' would be more like a chore to play. I have no problem with a learning curve since starting slowly and building up is a feature of space sims, but managing too much stuff with the godawful controls was not fun. I never bought Terran Conflict because of this.

Hopefully, the UI has had a complete redesign and the 'character driven' style sounds very promising.
X3TC has a much better interface, I think you missed out there, in fact I gave up on reunion because I heard TC had it improved, and it is a big step forward : ).

That said it's still mostly the same old thing, and it needs a complete re-think, which is what I expect to see in Rebirth.

Nanook
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Post by Nanook » Thu, 12. May 11, 02:10

tianlongprc wrote:My post got locked so I have to move it here. I think we need a new thread for x: rebirth....
No, we don't. And there is a rule about not discussing moderator actions on the forums, so I suggest you let it go.
Have a great idea for the current or a future game? You can post it in the [L3+] Ideas forum.

X4 is a journey, not a destination. Have fun on your travels.

THE_TrashMan
x4

Post by THE_TrashMan » Thu, 12. May 11, 09:25

The abiltiy to take over sectors (in someone elses name at elast).
immageine clearing a sector of Xenon and then inviting the Argon in, for a huuge relations boost. The nthe Argon build a outposts there and from there on, the civies slowly build in it (unless yo ubeat them to it that is).

Not necessarily like that, but the gist is that things can change in the universe. Sectors can change, even without player imput.
No magic respawning stations out of nowhere.
- Burning with Awesomeness

- Pontifex Maximus Panaidia Est Canicula Infernalis

TRAT513
x3tc

Post by TRAT513 » Thu, 12. May 11, 10:06

THE_TrashMan wrote:The abiltiy to take over sectors (in someone elses name at elast).
immageine clearing a sector of Xenon and then inviting the Argon in, for a huuge relations boost. The nthe Argon build a outposts there and from there on, the civies slowly build in it (unless yo ubeat them to it that is).

Not necessarily like that, but the gist is that things can change in the universe. Sectors can change, even without player imput.
No magic respawning stations out of nowhere.
Just wondering whether the races will be the same. Your opinions?

Lbano
x4

Post by Lbano » Thu, 12. May 11, 12:45

TRAT513 wrote:Just wondering whether the races will be the same. Your opinions?
I don't know. But I need the Terrans' militaristic superiority. :twisted:

TRAT513
x3tc

Post by TRAT513 » Thu, 12. May 11, 13:14

Lbano wrote:
TRAT513 wrote:Just wondering whether the races will be the same. Your opinions?
I don't know. But I need the Terrans' militaristic superiority. :twisted:
Agreed :D

st0gey

Post by st0gey » Thu, 12. May 11, 15:18

Personally, and i expect to be slaughtered for saying this, i'd like to see an end to jumpgates. Don't know why but i never really liked them. Maybe it's because as a former 'Elite' player, i know they're not necessary for this sort of game. There's just something very tedious about them! I'd much rather see the bright flashes of distant ships 'jumping' in and out. I'd also like to see the stations and other sector objects given a much wider area of dispersal within each individual sector. For me, the formulaic and often cramped layout of sectors and gates conflicts with the notion of vast emptiness, associated with space. It just makes me feel like im playing a game :gruebel:

To add to the immersion of the game, i'd like to see

A few randomly placed rogue comets and tumbling asteroids

Changes to the always-on thrusters on the ships! (not necessary in space!)

Changes to the external sounds (there is no sound in space!)

that's my tuppence worth :D

Gazz
x4

Post by Gazz » Thu, 12. May 11, 16:57

One part of the game that's always been extremely bland:
Missiles

The only guidance system they have is... "seeker". Or not seeker.

No heat seekers, RADAR guided missiles, optically or IFF guided... there are many possibilities.

That's why all the ECM / missile defense systems (modded and otherwise) are boring.
You can script a missile destroyed... or not do it. That's the entire range of options.

Countermeasures don't work that way. They confuse and distract instead of simply scripting all missiles within 2 km dead.
An ECM should confuse a missile, making it fly in a straight line until it has "figured out" the ECM. Chaff / flares / decoys obstruct and / or offer fake targets.

Stealth properties of ships could make certain kinds of missiles ineffective against some ships, creating more interesting diversiy.
One shiptype might have a low RADAR signature, another a low IR one, the third have a visual cloaking device but be detectable with RADAR...

One missile type fits all targets is unbelieveably boring. =/

Missiles could be a lot more powerful but used more rarely, making them meaningful.
Meaningful missiles would in turn allow different ship roles like interceptor vs air superiority fighter, which currently, are meaningless terms. There are weak and there are powerful fighters. That's it.

Right now it's more like... hostile M3? Fire a dozen Wasps. You win.
An M3 can carry a hundred Wasps and launch 800 MJ of homing missile damage in no time flat.
That's probably not bad design but rather the complete absence of any thought or design.
Someone wrote the code and noone complained. =P

That missiles are cargo and ships therefore have huuuuge missile bays is just one part of the problem.
The "ready" launch tubes should be allowed to reload from the cargo bay... but very slowly. Like a minute or more.
Then launch tubes would start to play a role and offer another way to balance ships.
This would avoid utterly ridiculous and completely unbalanceable classes like M7M. They are either godlike (vanilla) or utter crap (working turret script). No middle ground, no balance.

First you must limit missile use before they can be made worthwhile.
Then you can have a space game that's not all lazer pew pew but offers diverse tactics and ship types / roles that complement each other.

I'd like to see something like the torpedo runs from Wing Commander. Those were intense...
Torpedos hurt like hell, which is a far cry from a 300k damage Hammer torpedo that will hardly ever reach it's target if the missile defense turrets aren't comatose.
In X3, a competent missile defense script can take out hundreds of those. At once.
That is not interesting gameplay.

Another possible angle:

Missile launch tubes have different size classes.
With missiles having a cargo class as they do now, this could seriously spice up ship differentiation.

M4 in a role of interceptor might have 4 M and 2 S class tubes.
M3 in a role of space superiority fighter might have 1 M and 2 S class tubes.

As a real world analogy, the M4 could fire 4 AMRAAM and 2 Sidewinder while the M3 would have rather limited long-range capability.

A fighter bomber, having an L class torpedo tube would be another possibility, as would be the Wing Commander style Broadsword with 2 or 3 L class tubes...
Give the M7M 8 L class (torpedo) tubes and you have one badass missile frigate, which is able to launch a devastating volley... and then is out of the fight reloading the tubes for a few minutes.
Totally different M7M class... and balanceable!

Missile bays in short:
  • Missiles are not fired directly from the cargo bay.
    Instead, every ship has a certain number of launch tubes.
  • Missiles are installed into these tubes like lasers are into laser bays.
  • After firing, a launch tube automatically reloads the missile it had just fired.
  • Reloading a launch tube takes time.
    A lot of time. 1-4 minutes, depending on the size of the missile.
    This finally allows to balance missile use for ships, preventing the 100 Typhoon spam "tactic".

The missile's refire time simply has a different meaning now.
  • Launch tubes come in different sizes, akin to the missile's cargo class.
    A ship can have a variety of different-sized tubes, as described above.
  • The current missile firing mechanic stays the same.
    One key to browse through loaded missile types, one key to fire.
    If you have a missile type loaded in more than one tube, you can simply launch the same missile more often in quick succession.
    = Basically no change to the HUD UI. Maybe display how many of this type are ready to fire or how long til the next is ready.

Must. Have. Differences.

st0gey wrote:I'd like to see an end to jumpgates. Don't know why but i never really liked them. Maybe it's because as a former 'Elite' player, i know they're not necessary for this sort of game
The point of having jumpgates is strategy. To have a choke point in space that is worth holding / defending.
ELITE / Frontier did not need this because in those games, nothing worth protecting existed.
So there was no gameplay feature required to make it possible to protect "it".

If you had to protect a station in infinite space and enemies would teleport in from every direction there would be nothing you could do to protect it.
Jumpgates let the enemy arrive from a small area in space. You can mine it. Deploy lasertowers, ODS, protecting ships.
The fight now has a focus instead of taking place in a vague area of 4000 cubic km.
And that's only for a 10 km radius sphere! Space is big. Really big. Without creating artificial choke points, many tactical considerations become moot, which would be a shame.

Cycrow wrote:it is a fairly expensive routine, but as your limiting it to in sector objects, and you can seperate it up, in shouldn't be a problem.

Expensive is relative since only one WP at a time would need to be computed. Then the ship would have a lot of time to compute the next WP while flying there.

Problematic would only be completely unrealistic "dense" asteroid fields like we have in X3.
That would be a bitch to compute because you have very little safe space to plot a path between some of them.

But in principle - yes. Could be done.
Having to script that would be somewhat... inefficient... to say the least. =P
Too much math to parse through a script language.
Last edited by Gazz on Tue, 17. May 11, 21:48, edited 4 times in total.
My complete script download page. . . . . . I AM THE LAW!
There is no sense crying over every mistake. You just keep on trying till you run out of cake.

fchopin
x3

Post by fchopin » Thu, 12. May 11, 17:33

I would like exploration and something new in the new game.
When there are no more games it is time for music.

Gazz
x4

Post by Gazz » Thu, 12. May 11, 17:38

Well, that narrows it down quite a lot. =P
My complete script download page. . . . . . I AM THE LAW!
There is no sense crying over every mistake. You just keep on trying till you run out of cake.

bobxii
x3tc

Post by bobxii » Thu, 12. May 11, 22:21

Gazz wrote:
Cycrow wrote:it is a fairly expensive routine, but as your limiting it to in sector objects, and you can seperate it up, in shouldn't be a problem.

Expensive is relative since only one WP at a time would need to be computed. Then the ship would have a lot of time to compute the next WP while flying there.

Problematic would only be completely unrealistic "dense" asteroid fields like we have in X3.
That would be a bitch to compute because you have very little safe space to plot a path between some of them.

But in principle - yes. Could be done.
Having to script that would be somewhat... inefficient... to say the least. =P
Too much math to parse through a script language.

I think the point I failed to get across was:

Of course nobody wants to script the pathing calculations - obviously this is a job for something written in a low-level language and implemented as a function.

The problem with the current implementation (as I understand it) is that every ship/missile in the sector does its own pathfinding independently, with the massive memory overhead that comes with hundreds of instances running concurrently. The current response to these performance concerns is to simplify the pathfinding function into the one we have currently, which is even weaker than the one Cycrow described.

A better and overall more controllable solution would be to implement a far more complex function to be run by one instance only, that manages all of the pathfinding operations for the entire sector.

In this way, we can take advantage of obvious performance hacks, such as comparison with previous calculations (example - repeated traders moving from gate A to gate B), scheduling calculations base on priority, and the most glaringly obvious perk of using splines to smooth out static paths for capital ship motion efficiency.

StarSword
x3tc

Post by StarSword » Thu, 12. May 11, 22:51

Unless the Terrans decided to blow up their jumpgates again, they'll be in the game. None of the stars near Earth can supernova (as some here have theorized).

That is to say, they'd better be in the game.

I'm fully with Gazz on the ECM thing. Even the old Escape Velocity series had ECM. The way they implemented it there was, there were four different categories of jamming (the first two were usually designated radar and heat-seeking, though there were exceptions), and each missile has a jamming vulnerability value for each of those categories. To make a missile not vulnerable to a particular type of jamming, you set its JamVuln for that category to zero. Jamming outfits were treated as Always On, and essentially added a modifier to the RNG that determined whether the missile would continue to seek, or would go flying off in a straight line.

The WEAP resource also featured boolean flags that gave the user the option wherein if a missile was successfully jammed, it might lock onto the ship that fired it. A missile could also be set to be distracted by radar interference and asteroids (which moved, by the way).

Incidentally, though, X actually does have different guidance systems, at least in-character. "Image recognition" missiles are optically guided, and there are also heat-seeking missiles like the Thunderbolt: if fired "cold" (i.e. without a target selected), heat-seeking missiles will go for the nearest hostile object.

And I'd like for the remote-guided warhead to actually be remote-guided. As it stands, it's just a missile like any other.

As far as scripting, you need to be able to write scripts in, say, Notepad. Basically, an external script editor in other words, and one that doesn't trigger "Modified" tags on your savegame.
TC unless otherwise specified. | Find me on Steam! | My X3TC Links | X and X Rebirth @ TVTropes

AgamemnonArgon
x3tc

Post by AgamemnonArgon » Thu, 12. May 11, 22:56

I'd not like to know the Commonwealth is no longer there, not the familiar alien races. They should be there.
Attractive looking ships please, are a must.
Everything buyable without doing stories or plots to get rewards.
Everything X Universe can already offer, without turning it into a shoot em up.
Argon Patriot and Battlemaster
Peace - Through Superior Firepower

Return to “X Trilogy Universe”