EGOSOFT and Deep Silver announce X Rebirth

General discussions about the games by Egosoft including X-BTF, XT, X², X³: Reunion, X³: Terran Conflict and X³: Albion Prelude.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

brianwillis
x3

Post by brianwillis » Thu, 21. Apr 11, 20:49

We are on a 'Need to Know' Basis!

Brian :)

P.S. This message will self destruct when a moderator finds it!!! (Only joking!!) :)
http://www.youtube.com/user/britrb32
My YouTube Channel. Click the Subscribe button to avoid disappointment ;)

Why?!
x3tc

Post by Why?! » Thu, 21. Apr 11, 21:15

I have a lot to say about this, but I'll get around to it later. I'm honestly not impressed. While it looks good, there just isn't enough information to say anything definitive. Egosoft trailers have generally looked good, but are always misleading and not indicative of gameplay in any way. Past trailers were always ingame footage, but tended to be heavily scripted and feature situations and events that were completely implausible in the actual game.

I think the biggest mistake in this is keeping it in the X Universe. I don't like the X Universe at all. I've always felt that the universe they had written for themselves has always created huge limitations for what they could do with the game. These games have had the same structure since the very beginning, and ditching the X Universe would've been a great way to create a brand new immersive universe free of all the limitations imposed on themselves such as the rigidly structured sectors, jumpgates, and SETA. Don't get me started on why SETA is one of the worst design, gameplay, and universe decisions in the entire setting.

As for positive comments? I think it looks really nice. Graphically it looks excellent, particularly the new upper atmosphere station. I'm also glad that they are finally scrapping that decade old engine and starting anew. Aside from the universe, that ancient engine was the other thing holding these games back from reaching their potential.
Last edited by Why?! on Thu, 21. Apr 11, 22:50, edited 4 times in total.

Zypherg
x4

Post by Zypherg » Thu, 21. Apr 11, 21:15

Roguey wrote:hmmm... how about Samantha carter, Jennifer Keller or Teyla Emmagan? :)
I'd say Kaylee (Keller) can't beat having a horney mechanical genius on board a spacebeater
Split say:"you fly with too little speed, or too much weed"

Rockhoof
x4

Post by Rockhoof » Thu, 21. Apr 11, 21:18

Skeeter wrote:About cockpits i dont think they are doing them as in the trailer/teaser they have briefly a tug or something that has that long ship view blocking alot of your view (more than cockpits imo).

Shame, ah well gluck with it egosoft but another x game i wont be getting due to no cockpits. Unless im corrected by a egosoft dev.
Unless they're going into the level of detail FSX, X-Plane, or even better, the staggering amount of detail a study sim like Falcon4.0 or DCS' A10-C Warthog have, I'd MUCH rather have the direct neural link interface X3 has. It takes nearly 10m to run through the start-up procedures in DCS' new A-10 sim. Better to streamline it all away with a neural interface than to put in a bunch of generic real-estate hogs with no real purpose other than to present information that can be better presented other ways just as believably:

Instead of imagining X3 pilots in a WWII era cockpit, imagine them in the futuristic version - it has no windows, and is completely encased to protect the pilot from the massive G forces experienced in dogfights, or there are so many interconnections to your brain necessary to run a bigger ship that there's no room for windows anyways. In fact, it's been that way all along, even in X and X2 - but just as RL operating systems have moved further and further away from command line driven interfaces, so to have modern X-tech cockpit pods moved away from the more primitive representation style of old-school cockpits. They're there if you want'em (Cockpit mods) but are no longer bundled software. In terms of 'believability': Jump[gates|drives] break every known law of physics, a neural interface is merely beyond our present computing power.

Suspension of disbelief is all about the ability to rationalize in a fun way. That's the way I see it anyways. I never let fluff get in the way of a good game. There's always counter-fluff to mitigate any worries that might crop up.

Edit: had a stray tag in msg body.

nitro912gr

Post by nitro912gr » Thu, 21. Apr 11, 21:54

Hello everyone, I heard that there is thread about the game's announcement where egosoft asked players if they want the music track from the trailer, am I at the right thread to give +1 for the track? :P

Rockhoof
x4

Post by Rockhoof » Thu, 21. Apr 11, 22:11

nitro912gr wrote:Hello everyone, I heard that there is thread about the game's announcement where egosoft asked players if they want the music track from the trailer, am I at the right thread to give +1 for the track? :P
Linky: http://soundcloud.com/alexeizakharov/tracks?page=1

nitro912gr

Post by nitro912gr » Thu, 21. Apr 11, 22:14

Rockhoof wrote:
nitro912gr wrote:Hello everyone, I heard that there is thread about the game's announcement where egosoft asked players if they want the music track from the trailer, am I at the right thread to give +1 for the track? :P
thanks! :D

Incubi
xr

Post by Incubi » Thu, 21. Apr 11, 22:20

Looks like I was right about the encyclopedia hinting at TNBT :D

I am soo excited :D

Question, and sorry if this has ben asked all ready.... 4th quarter 2011? How long have you been working on this? Is this really going to be daddies Xmas present?

jordan kirwan
x3tc

Post by jordan kirwan » Thu, 21. Apr 11, 22:22

Rockhoof wrote:
Sweet thanks :D :thumb_up:
[Insert sig here]

Nanook
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Post by Nanook » Thu, 21. Apr 11, 22:23

Incubi wrote:...
Question, and sorry if this has ben asked all ready.... 4th quarter 2011? How long have you been working on this? ...
As Bernd stated in his linked, X-News interview, they started it in 2007, so to answer your question, four years. :P
Have a great idea for the current or a future game? You can post it in the [L3+] Ideas forum.

X4 is a journey, not a destination. Have fun on your travels.

Iveco
x3tc

Post by Iveco » Thu, 21. Apr 11, 22:29

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Download "X Rebirth Reveal Trailer Soundtrack" in HQ

Author: Alexei Zakharov
Length: 01:00 minute
Channels: Stereo (2)

FLAC (lossless) (unpacked 5.8 MB):
http://www.egosoft.com/download/x_rebir ... k.flac.rar

MP3 (320kbps) (unpacked 2.3 MB):
http://www.egosoft.com/download/x_rebir ... ck.mp3.rar

Visit X Rebirth:
http://www.facebook.com/XRebirth
http://www.facebook.com/EgosoftGmbH
http://www.xrebirth.com

Visit Alexei Zakharov:
http://www.facebook.com/alexeizakharovfans
http://www.zakharovmusic.com
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Last edited by Iveco on Thu, 21. Apr 11, 22:59, edited 1 time in total.

Xenon_Slayer
EGOSOFT
EGOSOFT
x4

Post by Xenon_Slayer » Thu, 21. Apr 11, 22:41

Nanook wrote:
Question, and sorry if this has ben asked all ready.... 4th quarter 2011? How long have you been working on this? ...
As Bernd stated in his linked, X-News interview, they started it in 2007, so to answer your question, four years. :P
Would be great to get into the 'history' of XR at some point. Personally, I came to the company for X3TC and XR was already being worked on. As Bernd and CBJ have said, it's a whole new engine. I recall X3: Reunion being touted as a new engine (which is true) but still retained many of X2s features while adding its own. X Rebirth is totally a whole other level!
Come watch me on Twitch where I occasionally play several of the X games

Chobittsu
x4

Post by Chobittsu » Thu, 21. Apr 11, 22:53

Xenon_Slayer wrote:
Nanook wrote:
Would be great to get into the 'history' of XR at some point. Personally, I came to the company for X3TC and XR was already being worked on. As Bernd and CBJ have said, it's a whole new engine. I recall X3: Reunion being touted as a new engine (which is true) but still retained many of X2s features while adding its own. X Rebirth is totally a whole other level!
I have one question which I think many others will also want to know, will there be new talking heads during communication? Can we finally say goodbye to the X2 blob people?

killerog
x4

Post by killerog » Thu, 21. Apr 11, 22:55

Xenon_Slayer wrote: Would be great to get into the 'history' of XR at some point. Personally, I came to the company for X3TC and XR was already being worked on. As Bernd and CBJ have said, it's a whole new engine. I recall X3: Reunion being touted as a new engine (which is true) but still retained many of X2s features while adding its own. X Rebirth is totally a whole other level!
As any one who has every played with X3s files can clearly see X2 stuff still being used. Hopefully this time when I go digging nothing or very little will be easily noticeable as X2/X3 material.

Observe
xr

Post by Observe » Thu, 21. Apr 11, 22:55

Freya Nocturne wrote:Can we finally say goodbye to the X2 blob people?
Good question, and one I'd also like to know answer. :)

Rednoahl
x4

Post by Rednoahl » Thu, 21. Apr 11, 22:58

Trailer looks well. If my assumptions are correct, ES have done what I wanted - it certainly appears that way from the trailer.

Now the problem of finding a local retailer that will do pre-orders...

Deleted User

Post by Deleted User » Thu, 21. Apr 11, 22:58

Freya Nocturne wrote: I have one question which I think many others will also want to know, will there be new talking heads during communication? Can we finally say goodbye to the X2 blob people?
i heard rumor they hired disney pixar to create the new heads :twisted:

TTD
x4

Post by TTD » Thu, 21. Apr 11, 23:18

It's amazing how a short vid and minimal printed info can result in nearly 400 posts ,and rising,plus other threads!

Especially if you take out the factual elements.

The result is a mass of pure speculation which may or not prove to be the case when the final product is released to the public.

A5PECT
x4

Post by A5PECT » Thu, 21. Apr 11, 23:18

Freya Nocturne wrote:I have one question which I think many others will also want to know, will there be new talking heads during communication? Can we finally say goodbye to the X2 blob people?
We've been seeing redesigned race concept art since Terran Conflict came out.

We'd better get some nicer looking heads. >=(
Admitting you have a problem is the first step in figuring out how to make it worse.

Skeeter
x3

Post by Skeeter » Thu, 21. Apr 11, 23:29

Rockhoof wrote:
Skeeter wrote:About cockpits i dont think they are doing them as in the trailer/teaser they have briefly a tug or something that has that long ship view blocking alot of your view (more than cockpits imo).

Shame, ah well gluck with it egosoft but another x game i wont be getting due to no cockpits. Unless im corrected by a egosoft dev.
Unless they're going into the level of detail FSX, X-Plane, or even better, the staggering amount of detail a study sim like Falcon4.0 or DCS' A10-C Warthog have, I'd MUCH rather have the direct neural link interface X3 has. It takes nearly 10m to run through the start-up procedures in DCS' new A-10 sim. Better to streamline it all away with a neural interface than to put in a bunch of generic real-estate hogs with no real purpose other than to present information that can be better presented other ways just as believably:

Instead of imagining X3 pilots in a WWII era cockpit, imagine them in the futuristic version - it has no windows, and is completely encased to protect the pilot from the massive G forces experienced in dogfights, or there are so many interconnections to your brain necessary to run a bigger ship that there's no room for windows anyways. In fact, it's been that way all along, even in X and X2 - but just as RL operating systems have moved further and further away from command line driven interfaces, so to have modern X-tech cockpit pods moved away from the more primitive representation style of old-school cockpits. They're there if you want'em (Cockpit mods) but are no longer bundled software. In terms of 'believability': Jump[gates|drives] break every known law of physics, a neural interface is merely beyond our present computing power.

Suspension of disbelief is all about the ability to rationalize in a fun way. That's the way I see it anyways. I never let fluff get in the way of a good game. There's always counter-fluff to mitigate any worries that might crop up.

Edit: had a stray tag in msg body.
Tbh i dont care much for the direct neural interface crap ppl made up for the lack of cockpits. Blackprophecy can do it and a few other space games does em so its not impossible.

We arent asking for much just a frame with a view out into space a intergrated radar and intergrated weapon shield and engine bars/numbers thats it. Nothing else. Certainly nothing like fsx etc their far too sim'y.

Cockpits imo gave the feel the ship you were in was different to other ships. It is vital aspect imo of egosoft space games. X3 and TC just didnt feel like their original game they made. Many of the players who say they dont want cockpits are new comers to the x games and didnt really play x-btf when it first came out or x-tension or x2.
Last edited by Skeeter on Thu, 21. Apr 11, 23:37, edited 1 time in total.
[ external image ]
7600x cpu 5.4ghz 32gb DDR5 5600mhz 6700XT 32" 1440p mon

Return to “X Trilogy Universe”