EGOSOFT and Deep Silver announce X Rebirth

General discussions about the games by Egosoft including X-BTF, XT, X², X³: Reunion, X³: Terran Conflict and X³: Albion Prelude.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

Why?!
x3tc

Post by Why?! » Fri, 22. Apr 11, 00:30

It's not just age though. I know I used to always complain about games being too short. Nowadays though, I'm so busy I just don't have the time to commit to playing games that require you to invest a significant amount of time. Especially in one sitting. I've actually found myself complaining about games now being too long when I'm talking about the more open world ones such as Assassin's Creed.

I'm not saying that XR should become a linear 6 hour game. That would defeat the purpose. I think what Skeeter is getting at is that the game is very difficult to just jump in, play for 15-30 minutes, then get out. The X series has always been designed around sitting down and playing for extended amounts of time. I don't know about the rest of you, but I don't feel like I can get anything done in X3 unless I set aside the next 2-4 hours for the game. Something I just don't have the luxury of doing anymore.

Lwerewolf
x4

Post by Lwerewolf » Fri, 22. Apr 11, 00:34

Why?! wrote:It's not just age though. I know I used to always complain about games being too short. Nowadays though, I'm so busy I just don't have the time to commit to playing games that require you to invest a significant amount of time. Especially in one sitting. I've actually found myself complaining about games now being too long when I'm talking about the more open world ones such as Assassin's Creed.

I'm not saying that XR should become a linear 6 hour game. That would defeat the purpose. I think what Skeeter is getting at is that the game is very difficult to just jump in, play for 15-30 minutes, then get out. The X series has always been designed around sitting down and playing for extended amounts of time. I don't know about the rest of you, but I don't feel like I can get anything done in X3 unless I set aside the next 2-4 hours for the game. Something I just don't have the luxury of doing anymore.
Depending on what you want to do and the ships that you have, you can do quite a lot in TC during 15 minutes ;)
As for Assassins - it's kinda easy to speed through it if you're just after the story (at least the 1st game)... Even otherwise it was quite short actually (or maybe it's only me because it was quite repetitive too). And not having 4 hours to put into a hobby seems a bit weird...

Wintersdark
x4

Post by Wintersdark » Fri, 22. Apr 11, 00:52

Kor'ah wrote:This better not be the last ten years of X with better graphics.
Damn rights!

It better be the last 10 years of X, with better graphics, a streamlined UI, fewer bugs, more scaleability through modding, multicore support, and more awesome.

I don't want an utterly different game - if I wanted that, I'd be somewhere else right now. I want X, but better!

...and better voice acting, plz.

Skeeter
x3

Post by Skeeter » Fri, 22. Apr 11, 00:58

I think im upsetting too many people so ill not visit as much now and post as much.

Hope im wrong about it all and ill check in when i see updates on the main page or facebook.

GL egosoft.
[ external image ]
7600x cpu 5.4ghz 32gb DDR5 5600mhz 6700XT 32" 1440p mon

MegaJohnny
x4

Post by MegaJohnny » Fri, 22. Apr 11, 00:59

I think it would be very sad to see X become linear. I always loved that it was a fully simulated universe that you could screw around in. Freelancer was a great game, yes, but it was still too finite... I guess I just don't like games you can finish.

Hob Anagerik
x3tc

Post by Hob Anagerik » Fri, 22. Apr 11, 01:16

Rather than dig through more than 20 pages of gushing and speculation regarding this announcement did anyone else pick up on the line:

"X Rebirth for PC....."

Hmm, so is this actually suggesting there is something other than the PC version? If so, and this really is a multi-platform release, as I always suspected the TNBT was going to be, in what way will the PC version get shafted as that is the inevitable conclusion of pretty much every release. Even Crytek admitted themselves that CryEngine 3 for Crysis 2 was not much more than a compromise due to console technology.

I'm hoping that the line above is nothing more than a throwaway comment and I'm reading more into it than there is. But even if that's true, and this new game is yet another game with space broken into chunks linked by gates I think I'll give this one a miss and continue playing Pioneer instead. ;-)
Windows 7 Pro x64, Intel i7 975, 12GB Corsair Dominator, Asus P6T6 WS Revolution, C.Labs X-Fi Fatal1ty, EVGA Nvidia 3GB 780 Ti, 2x 240GB Intel 520 SSD

supahfly

Post by supahfly » Fri, 22. Apr 11, 01:44

The only thing this game needs is ES finally hiring some designers instead of giving their programmers do all the UI development. Some 3d-modellers and concept artists would be fine too. Well, seeing the pretties in the trailer it seems they did that already, good job on models.

softweir
xr

Post by softweir » Fri, 22. Apr 11, 03:22

Hob Anagerik wrote:Rather than dig through more than 20 pages of gushing and speculation regarding this announcement did anyone else pick up on the line:

"X Rebirth for PC....."

Hmm, so is this actually suggesting there is something other than the PC version?
Maybe, but not necessarily. They might just be making sure that Deepsilver's X-Box customers don't get their hopes too high.
My new fave game (while waiting for Rebirth) - Kerbal Space Program

Shootist
x4

Post by Shootist » Fri, 22. Apr 11, 04:26

Poacher886 wrote:SKEETER WROTE:
"Wouldnt mind more casual aspects as im getting too old (29) to be investing alot of time in games. Would love it if i could complete it and thats it within a few days tbh. Heavily story and linear based, its a new x game they did sandbox enough times they could try a linear plot driven game. Not many space linear games about these days. Last good one was freelancer and that was quite awhile ago now."

Too Old? im another 10yrs on you and play all the time!! We don't stop playing when we get older...we get older because we stop playing!!
Too old? I'm 55.

Keep telling yourself that
Spoiler
Show
the knees, the shoulder, the carpal tunnel.

Shootist
x4

Post by Shootist » Fri, 22. Apr 11, 04:29

Wintersdark wrote:
Kor'ah wrote:This better not be the last ten years of X with better graphics.
Damn rights!

It better be the last 10 years of X, with better graphics, a streamlined UI, fewer bugs, more scaleability through modding, multicore support, and more awesome.

I don't want an utterly different game - if I wanted that, I'd be somewhere else right now. I want X, but better!

...and better voice acting, plz.
Might I add? An AI would be nice.

TRAT513
x3tc

Post by TRAT513 » Fri, 22. Apr 11, 04:30

Hob Anagerik wrote:Rather than dig through more than 20 pages of gushing and speculation regarding this announcement did anyone else pick up on the line:

"X Rebirth for PC....."

Hmm, so is this actually suggesting there is something other than the PC version? If so, and this really is a multi-platform release, as I always suspected the TNBT was going to be, in what way will the PC version get shafted as that is the inevitable conclusion of pretty much every release. Even Crytek admitted themselves that CryEngine 3 for Crysis 2 was not much more than a compromise due to console technology.

I'm hoping that the line above is nothing more than a throwaway comment and I'm reading more into it than there is. But even if that's true, and this new game is yet another game with space broken into chunks linked by gates I think I'll give this one a miss and continue playing Pioneer instead. ;-)
Well my two cents with this being multiplatform is that Crytek, had to lower a lot of settings and tweaks just to be put on the console. Now CryEngine 3 was stressful on the GPU and not much from the CPU, but with X, it has always been mainly stressful on the CPU with all the polygons and stuff not to mention then using the GPU to fill it with pretty colours and lights. It would be possibly but they would have to tweak the game a lot and remove a lot of the ships flying around the universe sorta thing and just have a few. I hope that X will stay a PC game but thats up to the developers. Putting it on console would open up another world and lots of possibilities, but it would also have a lot of restrictions for consoles and the PC.

Thats just my two cents :)

TRAT513

Observe
xr

Post by Observe » Fri, 22. Apr 11, 04:34

Shootist wrote:Might I add? An AI would be nice.
Apoch (ES Developer) commented on the new AI he has designed in the OT thread re modding. I trust the new AI will have significant improvement.

Oh, by the way, I have your 55 beat by a few closer to 60. :D

Ringo7
x3tc

Post by Ringo7 » Fri, 22. Apr 11, 04:42

Shootist wrote:
Poacher886 wrote:SKEETER WROTE:
"Wouldnt mind more casual aspects as im getting too old (29) to be investing alot of time in games. Would love it if i could complete it and thats it within a few days tbh. Heavily story and linear based, its a new x game they did sandbox enough times they could try a linear plot driven game. Not many space linear games about these days. Last good one was freelancer and that was quite awhile ago now."

Too Old? im another 10yrs on you and play all the time!! We don't stop playing when we get older...we get older because we stop playing!!
Too old? I'm 55.

Keep telling yourself that
Spoiler
Show
the knees, the shoulder, the carpal tunnel.
And I'm 52 and still spend HOURS playing into the wee hours of the night!

boogieman335
x4

Post by boogieman335 » Fri, 22. Apr 11, 04:48

God you guys make me feel like a kid again I'm only 53! Looks like the guys at New Egg are gonna be putting me back on their Christmas card list when I start ordering components for the build.

TRAT513
x3tc

Post by TRAT513 » Fri, 22. Apr 11, 04:50

boogieman335 wrote:God you guys make me feel like a kid again I'm only 53! Looks like the guys at New Egg are gonna be putting me back on their Christmas card list when I start ordering components for the build.
You guys make me sound like a baby. I'm only 14. :P
Last edited by TRAT513 on Fri, 22. Apr 11, 04:54, edited 2 times in total.

Ringo7
x3tc

Post by Ringo7 » Fri, 22. Apr 11, 04:51

boogieman335 wrote:God you guys make me feel like a kid again I'm only 53! Looks like the guys at New Egg are gonna be putting me back on their Christmas card list when I start ordering components for the build.
LOL! Good one! I still feel like a kid though :/

TRAT513
x3tc

Post by TRAT513 » Fri, 22. Apr 11, 04:55

And I'd like to ask egosoft, roughly when can you give us the system requirements list to X-Rebirth? :)

Cheers :)

svzurich
x4

Post by svzurich » Fri, 22. Apr 11, 05:08

This will be a day 1 purchase for me when it hits Steam. :D Now to start looking at GPU upgrades as my 8800GT is getting long in the tooth. I want to see this game in its full glory!

roxy
x4

Post by roxy » Fri, 22. Apr 11, 05:25

Finally,
and i have to say the graphic detail look's even better.
Wish i did'nt have to wait till end of year to get the game.
Waiting with anticipation. :thumb_up:

Papageno
x3

Post by Papageno » Fri, 22. Apr 11, 05:33

Glad I'm not the oldest guy here. I just turned 50, and so far it's kicking my ass. The very week after my birthday I threw my back out horribly, and a mere two weeks after that I got a cold that made my head feel like a watermelon and made me spend all of yesterday with a 101 F fever. :(
Hoping that being 50 gets better!

Anyway I'd be extremely psyched if the Xenon or the Khaak (I never did finish X2--are they still a factor?) could actually take over sectors (until the forces of good beat them back, of course, either with or without the player's help), instead of just invading a sector with a bunch of ships whose only goal is to destroy everything. Kind of like the Dominators in Space Rangers 2. As to what would happen to player-owned stations/factories, maybe their proceeds could just be "sequestered" until the sector was liberated.

Return to “X Trilogy Universe”