[TC] Balance of Power Plot Walkthrough

General discussions about the games by Egosoft including X-BTF, XT, X², X³: Reunion, X³: Terran Conflict and X³: Albion Prelude.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

Spychotic
x3tc

Post by Spychotic » Mon, 11. Oct 10, 16:32

I'll say it again for the benefit of anyone who may be on lower fight ranks;

At high fight ranks, you can chip away slowly at an enemy hull and there's a high liklihood that they'll bail on the strength of your reputation.

At low fight ranks, you don't have this advantage; you need to scare them by hitting them with a full volley of fire to strip their hull down to about 75% and then give a few more volleys to take the hull down at 10% a time.

I've never had more than 25 seconds between firing the first shot and the target bailing - or being destroyed - and it's usually about 15. It takes 45 seconds to reload; so if you've tried 10 times, you should only have been doing it for 10 minutes. If you try chipping away, 10 tries could represent an hour of play time with only one success; during that same hour I'd expect 60 attempts and five or six successes using my method.

My total time trying to cap the Mjollnir in the final mission was about 10 tries, and about 5 for the Fenrir. Total play time was about 15 minutes.

The first time to force a bail of the Mjollnir in chapter 2, I started out by chipping away slowly. After half an hour with no joy, I gave up and went back to the method outlined above; took less than 5 minutes and the same amount of attempts to force a bail.

Suggest you try my method.

Spike
Check out the X3 Wiki!

Struggling with a plotline? Spike's Walkthroughs are your answer!

Whether you're building your first factory or a trading empire, this station management guide was made just for you.

AjRyder
x3ap

Post by AjRyder » Mon, 11. Oct 10, 16:57

Infekted wrote:Yeah a lot longer than just reloading. So so so bored of it now tho :( About ten tries last night, and 18 and counting so far today.
Everytime she calls me an ass I wanna punch her in the kidneys :evil:
Lol little ship was not a problem for me bailed right away. The big ship wont bail at all. He is being a complete arse. I have tried nearly everything, different ships the lot. To be honest is it worth it REALLY, they are not the greatest ships in the world. I would have preferred something a bit bigger like an ageir would have been nice. For me this mission is good however becuase I have nearly everything its not worth the hassle. :evil:
Star Trek Phase II watch new episodes now at

http://www.startreknewvoyages.com

My computer is fast very very fast ;)

Follow me on Twitter @Formula1Dragon

The-Gizmo
x3tc

Post by The-Gizmo » Mon, 11. Oct 10, 17:00

Spychotic wrote:I'll say it again for the benefit of anyone who may be on lower fight ranks;

At high fight ranks, you can chip away slowly at an enemy hull and there's a high liklihood that they'll bail on the strength of your reputation.

At low fight ranks, you don't have this advantage; you need to scare them by hitting them with a full volley of fire to strip their hull down to about 75% and then give a few more volleys to take the hull down at 10% a time.

I've never had more than 25 seconds between firing the first shot and the target bailing - or being destroyed - and it's usually about 15. It takes 45 seconds to reload; so if you've tried 10 times, you should only have been doing it for 10 minutes. If you try chipping away, 10 tries could represent an hour of play time with only one success; during that same hour I'd expect 60 attempts and five or six successes using my method.

My total time trying to cap the Mjollnir in the final mission was about 10 tries, and about 5 for the Fenrir. Total play time was about 15 minutes.

The first time to force a bail of the Mjollnir in chapter 2, I started out by chipping away slowly. After half an hour with no joy, I gave up and went back to the method outlined above; took less than 5 minutes and the same amount of attempts to force a bail.

Spike
Yeah, earlier I went back to my original method, which was this of just taking his hull down quickly or in 10% or so increments, because the slow method was not working and just doesn't work very well at all, and my rank is Overlord. Soon as I got a good save point, I just took their hulls down quickly instead, and finally got both to bail after about 10-20+ reloads, but each one not taking very long.

Thunders

Post by Thunders » Mon, 11. Oct 10, 17:50

Spychotic wrote:I'll say it again for the benefit of anyone who may be on lower fight ranks;

Spike
I've had the combat rank of X-TREME for a very long while now and I must say your assumption is wrong. I'm struggling to get the Mjolnir and Fenrir bail (chapter 3) and it's really starting to annoy me.

Jakomo
x3tc

Post by Jakomo » Mon, 11. Oct 10, 18:12

Strangely, I can not dismantle the Mjolnir. In the menu it does not appear. How do I turn now to the blueprint? At the end of the mission so you get only the Valkyrie and Thor.

StarTroll
x4

Post by StarTroll » Mon, 11. Oct 10, 18:49

Thunders wrote:

Spike
I've had the combat rank of X-TREME for a very long while now and I must say your assumption is wrong. I'm struggling to get the Mjolnir and Fenrir bail (chapter 3) and it's really starting to annoy me.
Not that I know much about how it works, but maybe your RNG is locked and thus making it to repeat failures. IIRC relaucnhing the game unlocks it, or something like that.
SCUM : They may exceed you in number, but not in value.

Thunders

Post by Thunders » Mon, 11. Oct 10, 19:12

The Mjolnir has bailed, but the Fenrir is a pain in the back.

you_rebel_scum
x3tc

Post by you_rebel_scum » Mon, 11. Oct 10, 19:29

after i capped the fenrir in the final mission, the valk prints didn't appear in my HQ. Twas reverse engineering a heavy hydra so i'm goin to have to wait 10 game hours until i can reverse engineer the fenrir :evil:
Die-Hard...Suicidal Squid DiD
I was born free, but now I'm expensive!

Thunders

Post by Thunders » Mon, 11. Oct 10, 20:43

<Beep>ing finally, after I-lost-count-how-many reloads, the Fenrir bailed. Against it I used 6x PBE (X-Perimental Shuttle), as opposed to the 2x IRE + 4x HEPT loadout I used to make the Mjolnir bail.

Spychotic
x3tc

Post by Spychotic » Mon, 11. Oct 10, 21:47

Jakomo wrote:Strangely, I can not dismantle the Mjolnir. In the menu it does not appear. How do I turn now to the blueprint? At the end of the mission so you get only the Valkyrie and Thor.
You can't RE the Mjollnir the first time you cap it; as you say, it doesn't appear in the menu. However you should be able to the second time, after the fight with the Tyrs.
Thunders wrote:<Beep>ing finally, after I-lost-count-how-many reloads, the Fenrir bailed. Against it I used 6x PBE (X-Perimental Shuttle), as opposed to the 2x IRE + 4x HEPT loadout I used to make the Mjolnir bail.
That original combo is not a good combo to use for capping. Try different weapons from the start.

Remember it's a game of chance; some people, even doing everything 'right', will take tens of reloads to get a bail.

Spike
Check out the X3 Wiki!

Whether you're building your first factory or a trading empire, this station management guide was made just for you.

Ognjen85
x3tc

Post by Ognjen85 » Mon, 11. Oct 10, 21:52

you_rebel_scum wrote:after i capped the fenrir in the final mission, the valk prints didn't appear in my HQ. Twas reverse engineering a heavy hydra so i'm goin to have to wait 10 game hours until i can reverse engineer the fenrir :evil:
Did you get Thor blueprints?

As I have said previously in this thread, first time I made a mistake and I have RE-ed both of them before the end of the plot. Once I got that "mission completed" message mjolnir was already RE while fenrir was currently in RE process. As the result of that both additional blueprints were lost :evil: :headbang:.

My suggestion (if you have earlier save game), reload to stage when you need to flee from those Trys, make sure that both mjolnir and fenrir are safely docked to your HQ (make sure that they are not in RE queued), once this is done just jump to UFJD sector and jump back (to get rid of them easily). This has worked for me, I hope that it will also do the trick for you and that you have a save game which will allow you this. All I can say, this plot is a bit strange and sometimes it doesn't end in the way it should. Good luck!

AjRyder
x3ap

Post by AjRyder » Mon, 11. Oct 10, 22:27

Thunders wrote:The Mjolnir has bailed, but the Fenrir is a pain in the back.
It will happen just done mine now. FINALLY!!!! :evil: Used my trusty springy and went in all guns blazing. I tried both ways but a full set of mam's made him see sense!!! I am now reversing both ships completed the mission. Going to make 9 of them to have on my Griffon as she has proved her worth in battle. :lol:

Thunders

Post by Thunders » Mon, 11. Oct 10, 22:57

Spychotic wrote:That original combo is not a good combo to use for capping. Try different weapons from the start.

Remember it's a game of chance; some people, even doing everything 'right', will take tens of reloads to get a bail.
I don't think it's fair that we get multiple chances to make fighters bail, while with boarding, once marines die, we pretty much give up trying to board the respective ship and/or reload to recover the marines.
In cases of failed fighters bails, wouldn't it be reasonable to have the pilots eject and their ships self-destruct? Like a player would do to their current ship... This way the chance to bail for fighters could be set to, let's say, 50% but have its data written and stored in the game at the moment of the ship's spawn, not on it being discovered by the player, as I think it is now.

Plot complete here as well. I chose the Hammer Torpedo salvos "misfire" way and tried to board the last Tyr but my 20 ace marines couldn't get through the hull and ended up picked on by its PSP guns. Before reloading to nuke all Tyrs instead, I jumped on my Springblossom and scanned the M2. Hull Polarization Device, 12+ marines (2 with 5 stars in combat) and nothing else special. Oh well...

P.S: Should I be proud to have been an ASS employee? :lol: Egosoft should have picked a better acronym for this "faction".

AjRyder
x3ap

Post by AjRyder » Mon, 11. Oct 10, 23:02

Thunders wrote:
Spychotic wrote:That original combo is not a good combo to use for capping. Try different weapons from the start.

I don't think it's fair that we get multiple chances to make fighters bail, while with boarding, once marines die, we pretty much give up trying to board the respective ship and/or reload to recover the marines.
In cases of failed fighters bails, wouldn't it be reasonable to have the pilots eject and their ships self-destruct? Like a player would do to their current ship... This way the chance to bail for fighters could be set to, let's say, 50% but have its data written and stored in the game at the moment of the ship's spawn, not on it being discovered by the player, as I think it is now.

Plot complete here as well. I chose the Hammer Torpedo salvos "misfire" way and tried to board the last Tyr but my 20 ace marines couldn't get through the hull and ended up picked on by its PSP guns. Before reloading to nuke all Tyrs instead, I jumped on my Springblossom and scanned the M2. Hull Polarization Device, 12+ marines (2 with 5 stars in combat) and nothing else special. Oh well...

P.S: Should I be proud to have been an ASS employee? :lol: Egosoft should have picked a better acronym for this "faction".
I was an ass to!!!

The-Gizmo
x3tc

Post by The-Gizmo » Mon, 11. Oct 10, 23:08

I like the final message you get "in the employ of the ASS" or something like that.

After I capped those fighters, I brought in my Panther and stored them safely aboard it. Fortunately I couldn't have RE'd the fighters before the end of the mission because I'm still REing the Griffon. I actually used a Tiger M7 with 8x PBE on front to get both to bail, cause I didn't want to have to worry about shield levels. :lol:

Thunders

Post by Thunders » Mon, 11. Oct 10, 23:17

I'm still reverse-engineering a Yaki Shuri, so there was no way for me to RE the fighters by mistake before the end of the plot.
So far this is the only positive aspect of the "eternity" the RE process takes.
The-Gizmo wrote:I like the final message you get "in the employ of the ASS" or something like that.
Or the "I don't think you'll ever want to be greeted by an ATF battlegroup first thing in the morning" part... I wouldn't mind waking up to 4 Tyrs above my pathetic excuse for a country, though. At least the enormous shadows they'd cast would hide the billions of craters we have here in our so-called "streets" and "highways"... :roll:

you_rebel_scum
x3tc

Post by you_rebel_scum » Tue, 12. Oct 10, 00:20

Ognjen85 wrote:My suggestion (if you have earlier save game), reload to stage when you need to flee from those Trys, make sure that both mjolnir and fenrir are safely docked to your HQ (make sure that they are not in RE queued), once this is done just jump to UFJD sector and jump back (to get rid of them easily). This has worked for me, I hope that it will also do the trick for you and that you have a save game which will allow you this. All I can say, this plot is a bit strange and sometimes it doesn't end in the way it should. Good luck!
the fenrir was docked in my hyperion when i went to visit those 4 tyrs, got the message and then no hq prints, no i dont have an earlier save, i think it may be because i started it like on the thursday before the acheivement system came online as well, so maybe it bugged on me, doesnt matter now cause i just deleted all my saves and reinstalled the game to start the DID gamestart.

Tbh i wouldnt be fussed the fenrir was the one i wanted anyway, better than nothing. But i redid the last mission a good few times and each time i got either the m4 or m3+ the prints never showed up at the HQ after the plot finished
Thunders wrote:At least the enormous shadows they'd cast would hide the billions of craters we have here in our so-called "streets" and "highways"... :roll:
hehehe u refering to england by any chance
Die-Hard...Suicidal Squid DiD
I was born free, but now I'm expensive!

Thunders

Post by Thunders » Tue, 12. Oct 10, 01:54

you_rebel_scum wrote:Tbh i wouldnt be fussed the fenrir was the one i wanted anyway, better than nothing.
The Fenrir is quite a resilient M3 and its 2 back turrets surpass in annoyance even the Nova's. Unless you're flying an M2 most of the time, of course.
you_rebel_scum wrote:hehehe u refering to england by any chance
I wish...

Spychotic
x3tc

Post by Spychotic » Tue, 12. Oct 10, 22:26

I've updated again with a few relatively minor corrections.

Comparing the Fenrir to the Nova isn't really a straight comparison; the Nova is an M3, the Fenrir an M3+. Comparing the Thor and Nova would be a more accurate exercise.

Spike
Check out the X3 Wiki!

Infekted
x3tc

Post by Infekted » Wed, 13. Oct 10, 14:35

Quick question. When guarding the base when your marines are trying to break in. How long roughly did you have to guard it for?
I ended up using basic scrub marines (mainly due having a scabbard with 10 scrub marines sat there on happenstance... Lazyness ftw).
I was there for roughly 30-45 minutes waiting for them to make it in. And was just curious if that was because I used rubbish marines or if thats about average?
Don't get me wrong, if that is the case I would choose to use rubbish marines because it was really good fun wasting all those terrans consequence free.
If its normally that long, then it doesn't matter what marines you use.

Return to “X Trilogy Universe”