is tnbt a rebirth of x2 in mmorpg format?

General discussions about the games by Egosoft including X-BTF, XT, X², X³: Reunion, X³: Terran Conflict and X³: Albion Prelude.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

Hyppe
x3tc

Post by Hyppe » Sun, 22. Aug 10, 14:59

Nafensoriel wrote:I don't know what the obsession is with assuming that all games must be online to be very profitable. Games of X's genre actually do worse statistically when they are multi-player. All it has done according to history is add development cost and reduce feature sets. And do not compare a game like "Freelancer" to X. One is a limited combat simulation with liner controls to ensure it actually "works". The other is a multi-layered simulation with progressive "persistent" elements the player controls. X has more in common with games like Galactic Civ and Moo2 than with most flight/space sims.

TNBT will most likely be an entirely new IP with a new storyline built on what Egosoft knows that works. It will probably therefor retain it's persistent elements, its massive randomized environment, and it's 4 factor(think build fight trade). Egosoft isn't a "big" studio. They would be close to insane to waste manpower on a feature that is untested, untried, and largely unwanted by the player base that currently keeps them in business. If they wanted to expand to multi-player the best path would be via patch after initial release if the community pushes for it.
/rantoff
Amen to that.

I personally don't get why friends of MP games try to push good SP games to MP. Maybe friends of X series like the game because it's NOT MP? I don't run around EVE/WoW/whatever MP games' forums to tell them to convert their games to SP. They are designed to be MP and maybe that's why they work well as MP? X series is designed to be SP and converting it to MP is impossible without changing the game mechanics greatly, it wouldn't even be same game anymore. If next 'X' will be MP, Egosoft can say bye bye to my money at least (and many other users it seems.)

philip_hughes
x3tc

Post by philip_hughes » Sun, 22. Aug 10, 16:51

If it happened, I would try to be fair in my judgement. My fear is as the rest of the communities; that if there was an online version, no freighter would be safe from hoards of NOOB fighters.

There are ways around this and I for one would like to see work arounds rather than a defeatist attitude. It would be fun to run missions with forum members.
Split now give me death? Nah. Just give me your ship.

HawK53
x3tc

Post by HawK53 » Sun, 22. Aug 10, 18:21

I personally don't get why friends of MP games try to push good SP games to MP
For the same reason this flamebaiter has posted these 2 posts yesterday.. boredom..

End of summer, (script)kiddies get bored, they want some more fun by trying to upset communities....

Twest09
x3tc

Post by Twest09 » Sun, 22. Aug 10, 19:45

Zaixionito wrote:Guys, the MMORPG hating is... In every thread about TNBT...

Let's stick to the subj- wait, what is the subject? :?
Well to be perfectly honest there are how many space MMOs already?
Let's count.

1) Failed Star Wars MMO by the people who do Everquest - Sony Online Entertainment.

2) New Star Wars MMO by the people who do single player RPGs, which is predicted to fail because they are single player game developers - BioWare. The first looks at the game were glitchy and uninspired.

3) EVE Online.

4) Star Trek Online.

So given the track record for Space Sim online games the outlook is bad if TNBT is a MMO. So the only two Space Sim MMOs that are working right now are EVE and Star Trek.

canshow
x4

Post by canshow » Mon, 23. Aug 10, 01:04

Twest09 wrote:

Let's count.

1) Failed Star Wars MMO by the people who do Everquest - Sony Online Entertainment.

2) New Star Wars MMO by the people who do single player RPGs, which is predicted to fail because they are single player game developers - BioWare. The first looks at the game were glitchy and uninspired.

3) EVE Online.

4) Star Trek Online.

So given the track record for Space Sim online games the outlook is bad if TNBT is a MMO. So the only two Space Sim MMOs that are working right now are EVE and Star Trek.
You forgot about Darkspace (even though it is a small one :P )
[ external image ]
Stargate Junkie

Twest09
x3tc

Post by Twest09 » Mon, 23. Aug 10, 07:05

canshow wrote:
Twest09 wrote:

Let's count.

3) EVE Online.

4) Star Trek Online.

You forgot about Darkspace (even though it is a small one :P )
Lol, slipped by my radar. What can I say? I have no idea about this game... you must tell me if it is any good so I can at least try it if it is. But please people don't get me wrong I don't "hate" MMOs, in fact I played EQ and EQ2 for like 10 years and I enjoyed them both but since them the onslaught of poorly implemented-cash grabbing-scummy interfaced-MMO garbage that has been flooded onto the market has truly caused me to abandon any hope of a good one that will last, not to mention that MMO developers have yet to find a decent way to implement PVP servers that are server "n00b" friendly, which causes n00b-pirating to be one of the only viable advancement strategies for the level and gear grinding that developers also can't seem to get away from.

julian-sama

Post by julian-sama » Mon, 23. Aug 10, 07:14

borgrel wrote:
Observe wrote:Good question! I tried reading the OP several times, but the intent of this thread alludes me completely.
eludes!!

alludes means to hint at!
:oops:

@everyone
it wouldnt be much sensible or fun if excessive layers of player and property protection are in place, but it is very daunting and depressing to have your fab and ts traderuns blow up in your face.

since dawn of man the need to conquer, the display of even unprovoked agressions and hostilities towards another have been the pride and instinct stemming from human nature and its very impulses, as a marxist economy and corperate ladder of capitalism social state are traits that will remain prevelant as our civilizations continues on. yet life is short and people are rotten, the x universe can and will inevitiblely be, a serenic and chaotic outlet for our ambitions, desires and needs of our primival instincts, mirroring the shortcomings of our real world and the rea nature of human beings: a reflection of the arses world.

if the x universe exists, there would be nesseary evils that should be allowed to continue to exists, for they are the essence and foundations, and what inspires, drives and motivates a life itself. in real life the navy protects merchant freighter from pirates but they're not omnipotent, and pirates get their loot and the company loses it all. will tnbt become a generic freelancer mp where beginners are protected but can still disrupt tradelanes and kill to steal, or will it be the true incarnation of the 21 cenury 'ELITE Dream' on a global internet scale?

i'm glad the c-ockpits remained.

Twest09
x3tc

Post by Twest09 » Mon, 23. Aug 10, 10:52

julian-sama wrote:
borgrel wrote:
Observe wrote:Good question! I tried reading the OP several times, but the intent of this thread alludes me completely.
eludes!!

alludes means to hint at!
:oops:

@everyone
it wouldnt be much sensible or fun if excessive layers of player and property protection are in place, but it is very daunting and depressing to have your fab and ts traderuns blow up in your face.

since dawn of man the need to conquer, the display of even unprovoked agressions and hostilities towards another have been the pride and instinct stemming from human nature and its very impulses, as a marxist economy and corperate ladder of capitalism social state are traits that will remain prevelant as our civilizations continues on. yet life is short and people are rotten, the x universe can and will inevitiblely be, a serenic and chaotic outlet for our ambitions, desires and needs of our primival instincts, mirroring the shortcomings of our real world and the rea nature of human beings: a reflection of the arses world.

if the x universe exists, there would be nesseary evils that should be allowed to continue to exists, for they are the essence and foundations, and what inspires, drives and motivates a life itself. in real life the navy protects merchant freighter from pirates but they're not omnipotent, and pirates get their loot and the company loses it all. will tnbt become a generic freelancer mp where beginners are protected but can still disrupt tradelanes and kill to steal, or will it be the true incarnation of the 21 cenury 'ELITE Dream' on a global internet scale?

i'm glad the c-ockpits remained.
Wow, a bit deep but you also forgot the basic instinct of species survival vs. intelligence. At some point for mankind to achieve the "next step" which is space exploration we are going to have to remove the need for economy and become a utopian society. Otherwise the economic strain of our basic needs will constantly outweigh scientific growth and there will be absolutely no progress.

I truly disbelieve that it is human nature that invokes violence upon others, instead I believe it is human nature to survive and hold onto and defend resources. Exempting a few insane people the average person would rather just live their life and avoid conflicts, the few people that are inherently violent are now just a sub-species from the past that continues to remain and are more related to apes than common day humans. Although there are a few countries and states that are working to forceful eradicate the criminally insane via the "death penalty" and for that I applaud them.

Nafensoriel
x4

Post by Nafensoriel » Mon, 23. Aug 10, 18:03

This is sliding dangerously off topic...though I did want to say one small thing..
Utopia is a pipe dream for side-seat philosophers. Observation of evolution in the current world and observations on communities and societies state quite clearly that you will never reach a stable "happy" society. Corruption will always happen, idiots will always supplant brilliant leaders, and the system will be "rebooted" when these factors reach a critical point for society. This does not mean it has to be a bloody wars or violence that flips the entire universe 180 degrees but a government as we currently understand it is a static creature that will always grow slower than the will and dreams of the people.

TLDR version: It is fundamentally impossible for people to agree as an entire society and this natural inherent trend towards disagreement is what fuels imagination and innovation. (well as long as the disagreement is nonviolent)

Case in point factor: If I said to the 6 billion inhabitants of earth "The sun is hot." Without fear of being wrong at least one person on the entire planet who is of good and sound judgement and intelligence would turn to me and say "but it's really not.."

Come to think of it.. X is a poster boy game for Utopia's failings. :D
"A Tradition is only as good as it's ability to change." Nael

Nanook
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Post by Nanook » Mon, 23. Aug 10, 18:35

Nafensoriel wrote:This is sliding dangerously off topic...
Yes, it is. Let's get back on track, shall we?

Let's examine the facts, as we know them. Egosoft devs have said the game's been in development since 2006. How hard do you think it would be to keep the infrastructure development of an MMO secret for four years? You've got to build a massive server cluster, and you've got to develop the massive bandwidth to go along with it.

I know of no other current or past MMO that's been able to keep secret the development of such a huge project for very long, since development of the hardware has to be pretty much concurrent with the software, meaning lots more people know what's going on. And the more people that know, the less likely it remains a secret for very long. And four years is a long time in game development terms.

So, just from that I'd conclude that TNBT is not going to be an MMO. And the general consensus on these forums that such a game is not wanted by the fanbase only supports that contention. I sincerely hope I'm not wrong.
Have a great idea for the current or a future game? You can post it in the [L3+] Ideas forum.

X4 is a journey, not a destination. Have fun on your travels.

Observe
xr

Post by Observe » Mon, 23. Aug 10, 18:38

Nanook wrote:...So, just from that I'd conclude that TNBT is not going to be an MMO. And the general consensus on these forums that such a game is not wanted by the fanbase only supports that contention. I sincerely hope I'm not wrong.
Good analysis! And I too hope you are not wrong. :)

palm911
x4

Post by palm911 » Tue, 24. Aug 10, 08:09

hmm,

maybe there is a hint at Xenon_slayer signature?

i belive they also said . it is a space sim, and it is not related to X universe.

well if TNBT is a fix to AI i will be happy hehe, but knowing egosoft i belive they will brirng something cool. with a new engine, and who knows a better AI system :)
X gamer , one at a time.

BigBANGtheory
x4

Post by BigBANGtheory » Tue, 24. Aug 10, 12:37

Not sure an MMORPG or derivative is the right way for Egosoft to go, after all why try to compete with the likes of Eve and JumpGateEvo unless you can do something that will wipe the floor.

Personally I think the right move is to stick with the Space Sim genre and incorporate RTS within the Sim as you progress. In other words as you become a Tycoon/Admiral the Sim offers RTS elements to you via an interface you aquire e.g. purchase of a capital ship or station HQ.

Full multiplayer IMHO brings with it a whole load of baggage that carries more risk of falling flat on its ass than raising the SIM to new heights. I hope they have some MP element beyond publishing and comparing stats on-line though but just keep it simple and fun.

julian-sama

Post by julian-sama » Tue, 24. Aug 10, 13:32

how about tnbt being an exclusive add-on Multiplayer component for the superbox verison of x2?

dlong41123
x3tc

Post by dlong41123 » Mon, 30. Aug 10, 22:41

guys i think i have the answer for you all as far as multiplayer is concerned, while its not wholly MMO it does have a slight mmo feel. think Diablo's multiplayer. or a guild wars meets X universe. i agree with all the posts eve in my opinion sucked balls i litterally spent a month grinding away getting the best possible thing i could at the time only to be snuffed out without so much as a sneeze by some ass who has been eating twinkies and ditty doughnuts for three years playing eve. after that i said thats just fantastic and quit. Now please refer to my post in this thread here and tell me what you all think: http://forum.egosoft.com/viewtopic.php? ... 62#3377562

I truly believe that Ego could make TNBT (X4?) with multiplayer and just continually add and add and add content until they need to make X5 to improve graphics. it would be a cash cow, and so long and they dont lose sight of the mission we all would be happy players forever on.

Twest09
x3tc

Post by Twest09 » Mon, 30. Aug 10, 23:47

Well to be perfectly honest it is not going to be an X game. EGOSOFT has stated this officially. And in my opinion I am sure that due to the overwhelming disapproval of the EGOSOFT player community TNBT is NOT going to be MMO. It may have some elements of Multiplayer in the form of coop play with a limited number of friends, but not direct MMO.

pjknibbs
x4

Post by pjknibbs » Mon, 30. Aug 10, 23:51

All Egosoft have stated is that X3TC completes the storyline started with X-BTF. That doesn't mean their next game is not going to be a space game, or that it won't be set in the X universe. (I have no idea what the next game is going to be personally, incidentally, this is just my normal forum user's opinion).

Twest09
x3tc

Post by Twest09 » Tue, 31. Aug 10, 00:09

I thought EGOSOFT stated that TNBT is going to be a space game, and that X3TC was the final game in the X story. It could be set in the same universe (would be awesome), perhaps sometime into the future.

Darkwolf_187
x4

Post by Darkwolf_187 » Tue, 31. Aug 10, 02:02

I'm a long-time EVE Online player. I am currently not playing EVE because, well, I have a six-month old child and need to be able to pause the game at random (and often highly inopportune times).

I am greatly enjoying X3TC because it offers me the gameplay I want, at the times that are convenient to me, and I can interrupt my gameplay whenever I feel like it.

If X4 was an MMO, I wouldn't play it. If I wanted to play an MMO space game, I'd go back to EVE.

breytac
x4

Post by breytac » Tue, 31. Aug 10, 04:44

People, Egosoft will NEVER make an X-style MMO. Look at the problems Eve Online is having right now. I would much prefer they concentrate on giving us the excellent after-sales support that they are giving us right now rather than be bogged down trying to fix problems in an MMO.

If you want to play an X-style game online, play Eve Online. Just be prepared to put up with douchebags who find their fun by ruining yours.

Return to “X Trilogy Universe”