Newbie Guide to Making Money Through Trading

General discussions about the games by Egosoft including X-BTF, XT, X², X³: Reunion, X³: Terran Conflict and X³: Albion Prelude.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

yorkman
x2

Post by yorkman » Mon, 9. Aug 04, 15:41

Great post only just got x2 and can't wait to try your tips :)

Scoobie
x4

Post by Scoobie » Mon, 9. Aug 04, 15:54

I know this makes me look a bit daft but seeing as this thread has answered so many questions for newbs like me, i just have to ask :roll: :

How do I clean up my registry after an uninstallation? I tend to leave my regestry alone and clean reinstall my PC regularly to keep it running sweet or does system mechanic's clean up regestary tool do the job ok for getting rid of the regestry keys remaining after an uninstall?

Al
x3tc

Post by Al » Mon, 9. Aug 04, 15:58

To clean up the registry click on the Start button, the select "run" and type in regedit. Once its opened, search for anything related to X2 and remove it. Make sure you dont delete anything other than X2 stuff as this can cause serious problems. IIRC you should be looking for anything installed in the X2 driectory so check where its installed before starting.

You could try searching here and the tech support forum for "regedit" which should give you plently of advice. Note that it might not be necessary for it to work but its a good idea to ensure that nothing is stil lurking that might cause problems once you re-install.

e.g see the post by twistedtech in this link:

http://www.egosoft.com/x2/forum/viewtop ... ht=regedit

Hope this helps
X2 Capture Guru - X3:TC Noob :D
X2 Capture Guide

Scoobie
x4

Post by Scoobie » Mon, 9. Aug 04, 16:17

Briliant Thanks Again that thread helps loads, im now off to sort this all out and play some X2 properly finally :D

Al
x3tc

Post by Al » Mon, 9. Aug 04, 16:22

Good luck and let us know how you get on.

Remember when it comes to the registry, if there is something you are not sure about, err on the side of caution and leave it alone.

Al
X2 Capture Guru - X3:TC Noob :D
X2 Capture Guide

yorkman
x2

Post by yorkman » Mon, 9. Aug 04, 23:48

Great just got my manta to find it can't hold silicone wafers :evil: am i going to be best slogging away hauling energy cells till i can upgrade or would a better route be to buy an spp and repair the mercury and build my money up that way :?

Kellick Stormcrow
x2

Post by Kellick Stormcrow » Tue, 10. Aug 04, 01:56

yorkman wrote:Great just got my manta to find it can't hold silicone wafers :evil: am i going to be best slogging away hauling energy cells till i can upgrade or would a better route be to buy an spp and repair the mercury and build my money up that way :?
:lol: I thought this was updated for 1.4 :?
Anyway, I started in 1.3 and I found this guide to be very helpful. Although I do things a lot differently, it gave me a good basis for starting out.

I would either repair the Merc or go get a Demeter or Caiman. The Merc is always a tossup; it still costs less money to repair a damaged ship than to buy a new one. OTOH the Merc kinda does suck.

JAG007
x2

The SILCON RUSH vs Defence

Post by JAG007 » Wed, 10. Nov 04, 18:02

Ok once again a very good and detailed post especially to a beginner like my self. However There has been no comments about how to protect your Boron Dolphin. I understand the whole post at the top but now and then Ill be attcked by pirates which reallly pees me off as it would most people.

What should I be upgrading ym ship with besides shields ??

I havent even started hurtling misslies and anyone yet but if anything the pirates would be my first target just now as their the only wee buggers that stop me from trading.

Any ideas you guys/girls

Juan

JungleJim
x3

Post by JungleJim » Wed, 10. Nov 04, 19:49

Generally speaking if you don't fire on Pirates they won't fire on you. Incidentally the Xenon will similarly not fire on you if you stay out of their space and don't fire on their ships.

So at least in the beginning you may want to set:
Pirates = Friend
Xenon = Friend

Oh, and if the Pirates *do* attack you, ask for help or dock with a station.
Be seeing you,

[ external image ]

Shephard
x2

Post by Shephard » Sat, 22. Jan 05, 05:49

:wink:

jaguarskx
x3

Post by jaguarskx » Sat, 22. Jan 05, 08:32

I wish I saw this thread when I started X2.

BDStyle
x3tc

Post by BDStyle » Sat, 22. Jan 05, 09:51

i'll second that.. man there are so many useful posts in this forum it shows how in depth the game can be and how many ways there are to play it.

Kudos, the post is mind blowingly useful :)

Phate[x2]
x2

Post by Phate[x2] » Sat, 22. Jan 05, 10:55

3iff wrote:Nice post(s) Creston. it's just a problem finding a supply of navsats!
Build your own fab, i have one in ore belt and it makes a ton of money a well as always having a few sats spare to drop places.
PHATE[X2]
the 2 sides are like cheeses, controlled by someone unknown

Creston
x3tc

Post by Creston » Sun, 23. Jan 05, 00:21

Hey, someone dug up my old post :)

You can get navsats from either Cloudbase North West (advanced version), or from Red Light (normal version). Both fabs should usually have some.

Note, this guide is not updated for version 1.4 (too much work), however, instead of a manta, just start flying around in the fastest TS you can find (I guess the Paranid Demeter would be the best tradeoff between speed and cargo space?).

And actually, because you're saving money on buying a TS instead of a Manta, you can probably just go get the dolphin and immediately put a jump drive on it, then go have fun with the jump drive.

Btw, here's a few more areas where it's good to sell silicon if you have a jumpdrive:

Paranid Prime (2)
Empire's Edge (2)
Preacher's Void (2)
Reservoir of Tranquility (5)
Great Reef (3)
Light Water (3)
Greater Profit (2)
CEO's Buckzoid (2)
Thuruk's Beard (2)
Family Pride (2)
Priest Refuge (2)
Friar's Retreat (2)
Pontifex's Seclusion (2)

There's more, but these are all I have on my map, in addition to the ones above. I never bothered jumping all the way out east in the universe, because your profits go down way too much.

For those of you who have problems capping, doing the silicon thing is a sure bet to get those millions going.

Although, ofcourse, in 1.4, the best way to make money is to just do the ludicrously lucrative BBS missions.

Creston

ww2
x3tc

Post by ww2 » Tue, 21. Jun 05, 22:11

Hello all.

Using Argonopedia's universe map as a base, I've done a graphical representation of the silicon selling/buying sectors list. It is supposed to help beginners, so I only included stations from Argon, Boron and Teladi territory. The idea is to orient the player in terms of satellite placement. I'm not sure this will be useful, but anyway, here it goes:

[ external image ]

I may do a complete map if requested.

thelebk
x3ap

Post by thelebk » Thu, 23. Jun 05, 11:30

Creston & Crew--

As a relatively new player to X2 I found this post INCREDIBLY Useful. The game has a steep learning curve with many undocumented commands, so it can get overwhelming. This advice really helped me zero in on the fun. After reading your post and the replies, I do have a few questions:

1) You use the term "capping" several times, exactly how is this accomplished? Does this stand for capturing? DO you have to eject from your ship to capture another? If you do so how do you pilot your orginal ship back to a base so you can fly off to sell the new acquisition?

2) You refer to ludicrously lucurative BBS missions. Can you be more specific? Examples?

3) I found this thread after Pres End was attacked, and began your trade method from that point. I have discovered that I have plenty of 500+ places to sell, but very few places to buy silicon for under 350... Losing those three mines in Pres End hurts... What is you work around? Is this an opportunity to build Silicon mines of my own? How do you go about doing so?

4) You mention the MKIII trading software. What does it do for .5 mil creds? Even more importantly how is it implemented in the interface? This game need a more robust in game help menu for specific features... :)

5) Can you post a link to a thread that gives highly detailed instructions on mining?

6) A fair amount of my micromanagement time is spent hitting the SETA key after every gate, is there a way to force the SETA to stay on until the final destination is reached?

7) One poster mentioned calling for help if pirates attack your transport(s). How do you do this in the interface?

8) What is a FAB?

While it is not profitable I have enjoyed shipping energy sells to the silicon mines to keep them humming along. Also special thanks to WWII for his excellent map... I use it constantly!

grumman
x3tc

Post by grumman » Thu, 23. Jun 05, 11:50

thelebk wrote:1) You use the term "capping" several times, exactly how is this accomplished? Does this stand for capturing? DO you have to eject from your ship to capture another? If you do so how do you pilot your orginal ship back to a base so you can fly off to sell the new acquisition?
In simple terms, you find a ship you want (up to TP/TS size), and shoot it until it either dies, or the pilot bails out. Then you tell it what to do by targetting it, and pressing C (to enter the command menu).
4) You mention the MKIII trading software. What does it do for .5 mil creds? Even more importantly how is it implemented in the interface? This game need a more robust in game help menu for specific features... :)
Once you have a ship with the software, enter its commands menu, select Trade commands, and select Sector trader. The ship will then fly around the sector, buying and selling goods when it is profitable. Once the pilot reaches level 8 (one level is gained for every 50,000 credits of profit earned), if the ship has a Jumpdrive, both Fight software upgrades and at least 25MW of shields, you can start the Universe Trader command. This is similar to the Sector Trader, but is not limited to a single sector.
8) What is a FAB?
A fab is a station that produces a product, as opposed to things like Equipment Docks which store products.
Grumman - killjoy extraordinaire

esd
x3tc

Post by esd » Thu, 23. Jun 05, 11:53

thelebk wrote:1) You use the term "capping" several times....Does this stand for capturing?
Only if you're lazy. The rest of us just say "capturing". :)
thelebk wrote:8.) What is a FAB?
"Thunderbird One to Thunderbird Three, F.A.B!"
esd's Guides: X² Loops - X³ MORTs

xalien
x4

Post by xalien » Thu, 23. Jun 05, 12:18

1. There's a good capture guide to read

2. There are two of them, but are only worth taking when you have high enough trade/combat rank:

2.1 Assassination missions (Presented like "Federation betrayal", "xxx must not be allowed to live" etc). The higher your combat rank, the better their payment and, naturally, stronger opposition. Ace 3rd is about 1mil, Ace 1st ~3mil, AoA 1st ~20mil, etc. You better get the M3 if you want to do those and work on your combat skills. It also requires a decent race rank with the race offering the mission, so Split and Paranid won't accept your services at the beginning.

2.2 Taxi missions (factory incpection tour, gambling etc). You'll be given new destinations and increasing rewards after each stop with a certain time limit that starts to deacrease after a few stops. You'll need a fast ship like Pegasus with the docking computer. Later on you'd want to pair it with a jump-capable ship like M6 or TL to save on your travel time - you may be asked to fly 4 sectors in 2 mizuras after few stops!

4. It's all in the readme file from bonus pack

5. TD's guide for mobile mining

thelebk
x3ap

Post by thelebk » Thu, 23. Jun 05, 21:06

Great stuff guys, thanks for the responses!

Return to “X Trilogy Universe”