Multiplayer-specific ships?

General discussions about the games by Egosoft including X-BTF, XT, X², X³: Reunion, X³: Terran Conflict and X³: Albion Prelude.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

Multiplayer ships?

Yea
22%
Nay
78%

Total votes: 18

Carbonfury

Multiplayer-specific ships?

Post by Carbonfury » Mon, 13. Jul 09, 12:35

Just some lateral thinking on my part, as the multiplayer issue is ever present.

instead of interlinking games mmo style, what about making large and complex ships available for multiple players to partly control, I.e:

1 pilot with front gun
1 main gunner
1 missle bay gunner
etc...

each could control the fleet, making large scale attacks easier, or even trading. all without the issue of multiple players roaming the universe etc.

feel free to shoot me down on technical issues, and this might well be an old and obselete idea, but wouldn't this be a welcome compromise between coding issues and multiplayer desire?

C

mrbadger
x3tc

Post by mrbadger » Mon, 13. Jul 09, 12:43

what theoretical ships would I like to see in a game that doesn't exist?

I'm gonna have to go with PONIES!!!!!
If an injury has to be done to a man it should be so severe that his vengeance need not be feared. ... Niccolò Machiavelli

Gavrushka
x4

Post by Gavrushka » Mon, 13. Jul 09, 12:47

I don't think it is (technically combined with economically) feasable at the minute... Or desirable for me I'm too old and slow to compete with real people..

I'd like a Pie ship mind, no kidney, just steak

AleksMain
x3tc

Re: Multiplayer-specific ships?

Post by AleksMain » Mon, 13. Jul 09, 12:51

Carbonfury wrote:... what about making large and complex ships available for multiple players to partly control, I.e:

1 pilot with front gun
1 main gunner
1 missle bay gunner
etc...

each could control the fleet, making large scale attacks easier, or even trading. all without the issue of multiple players roaming the universe etc.

feel free to shoot me down on technical issues, and this might well be an old and obselete idea, but wouldn't this be a welcome compromise between coding issues and multiplayer desire?

C
Pilot drinking spaceweed,
gunner sleeping,
1 missle bay gunner waching at nearby Xenon Q.

P.S.
This is about social issues.
Not technical.

N4N
x3tc

Post by N4N » Mon, 13. Jul 09, 13:54

It would be nice Idea a multiplayer mode where each player controls one of each 1000 crew memeber of a M2 :lol:
The good thing, is if you are the captain, or gunner but bad thing is, if you are cleaning toilets, or doing paperwork or accounting :roll:

mrbadger
x3tc

Post by mrbadger » Mon, 13. Jul 09, 14:01

N4N wrote:It would be nice Idea a multiplayer mode where each player controls one of each 1000 crew memeber of a M2 :lol:
The good thing, is if you are the captain, or gunner but bad thing is, if you are cleaning toilets, or doing paperwork or accounting :roll:
There was a single player game that had a player controlling the crew of a battleship. It bombed I beleive, and ended up being given away as freeware by the author. It was far too complicated (I did try to play it), and it seems, more of an exercise in complex game coding than an informed attempt to create an enjoyable game.

A multiplayer thing like that would be a nightmare, it would quickly stratify, and new players would be stuck in less fun jobs, which would mean pretty much instant fail from the standpoint of mass appeal.
If an injury has to be done to a man it should be so severe that his vengeance need not be feared. ... Niccolò Machiavelli

X2-Eliah
x4

Post by X2-Eliah » Mon, 13. Jul 09, 14:09

Oh, no, it would have superb appeal..
Why bother piloting a capital ship, when you can watch and launch missiles?

Or, more likely, why bother with dogfighting, evading and flying, when you can sit in the aft turret and shoot at incoming missiles?

And I have a hard time to understand how a gunner in my TS front turret will make my trading easier..

Besides, there is no multiplayer issue and it most definitely isn't present.

Hum, just though of the advert for such a game..

Alone, you are nothing. Together, you are nothing. But you DO have the slight chance to be Barely something! Spend your time oggling at weapon mounts and missile exhausts! Enter the exciting world of fictional logistics!
In just a few months time you CAN save up enough to buy an M5 / tin can!
Be a negligible part of the million!

Alan Phipps
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Post by Alan Phipps » Mon, 13. Jul 09, 14:26

How to lose friends and influence:

"You should have been shooting that fighter not empty space!"
"No, it was your lousy driving that got us killed"
"No it was him, launching that bloody hammerhead while you were squirting PAC over his launchbay when you should have been hitting the fighter!"
"It wasn't our fault you spun the ship so that my missile was between his PAC turret and the fighter - and you were too close anyway!"

Can't you do all this now? Just turn the ship over to the auto-pillock 'attack', set missile launch to hammerhead 80% and jump into a turret! Don't you trust the auto-pillock more than your little brother?

starfleet
x3tc

Post by starfleet » Mon, 13. Jul 09, 15:14

The game mentioned was Battlecruiser 3000, and it wasn't a 'flop' because of the game, but because of the marketing and the forcing of it to be published before it was complete.. Which is why in the end it was given away.

It spawned Battlecruiser Millenium and another game.. and is still going.. (universal combat i think is the second game)..

Multiplayer wise people would be happy if they could just have multiplayer at all.

AleksMain
x3tc

Post by AleksMain » Mon, 13. Jul 09, 15:46

starfleet wrote:The game mentioned was Battlecruiser 3000...
Multiplayer wise people would be happy if they could just have multiplayer at all.
Here link to Galactic Command – Echo Squad SE (2008) which can be patched up to v2.11.07 (released: 02.23.09).

Multiplayer requirements
-Broadband (cable/DSL) connection
Genre
-Aerial/Space Combat Action

If someone want to play ... he can.

And no need to create new same game (may be).

Brewbeard

Post by Brewbeard » Mon, 13. Jul 09, 18:17

Microsoft was working on a pay-to-play multiplayer space sim along those lines, where one player played tactician, managing resource acquisition and unit building while relaying commands to the others, who were either manning fighters, piloting capitol ships, or manning the guns on capital ships. They had an open beta seven or eight years ago, but I only played it once. I think the reason I stopped was that I spent an hour shooting one ship before it exploded and got incredibly bored. To be fair I don't think I gave it a chance.

Allegiance

It might be better now. From what that article says, it's not being officially supported but there is community-supported multiplayer still kicking around.

{link fixed - Carlo}
Igni Ferroque

SerriaFox
x3tc

Post by SerriaFox » Mon, 13. Jul 09, 18:39

The problem with every mmorp game i know is the economy, while i just starting to explore this game it's strength seem to be, being a good econ sim/ fighter sim.

Giving every player a ship when they die, so they may live again strikes me as bad long-term for the game. What would be needed is worlds that you can make a living at when you die. And while being hired for a mission to fly as turret gunner might be ok, being the turret gunner for the whole game would suck.

A MMORP game would need alien planets to explore as well as alien space to explore.

It might work, if your started out in a really small ship which could not be sold nor could it be automated in any way.

supakillaii
xr

Post by supakillaii » Mon, 13. Jul 09, 23:07

What's this, 869? Lost count xD
Hm, but I think it's a new idea.
...fine, I'll look how it goes...

mystikmind2005
x2

Post by mystikmind2005 » Tue, 14. Jul 09, 02:01

Allowing people to control units in your empire is a brilliant idea!

I have seen this concept work well in some other games.

You can have your friends join you in a dogfight etc etc, but as far as the game is concerned, there is still only 1 player!
What intriguing weapons and shields will you use to protect your trade ships and sectors from the Khaak when your not home? unless you can afford capital ships *and luck* its all for nothing, NOTHING! Mwaahhhhahaha
*(amendment for TC since all the good strategy and planning is no longer enough, you also need luck)*

MrOmniscient

Post by MrOmniscient » Tue, 14. Jul 09, 03:01

All this is obsolete, as the coding required to make most of this idea possible would be only slightly short of multi-ship multiplayer, (only a few hundred lines difference or so...). Why bother with just 1 ship when you can each control their own ships.

Carbonfury

Post by Carbonfury » Tue, 14. Jul 09, 03:30

I was mainly going for LAN games within the designated pilot's save game with this concept. having only one ship would (should) resolve problems with mult-ship multiplayer such as SETA and gates and a multitude of other problems that forces egosoft to flat-out refuse a multi-player patch/release.

taking this idea into mmo territory would be horrible, I agree.

C[/quote]

Return to “X Trilogy Universe”