Ultimate Ship Size Comparison: SIDE/FRONT/TOP views!! [updated 08/09/09]

General discussions about the games by Egosoft including X-BTF, XT, X², X³: Reunion, X³: Terran Conflict and X³: Albion Prelude.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

BDStyle
x3tc

Post by BDStyle » Fri, 1. May 09, 00:43

I use the shrike specifically because of its small size and profile so I'd rather it wasn't enlarged :D

delray
x3tc

Post by delray » Fri, 1. May 09, 01:05

Yeah, I agree about Shrike. Teladi got something right... at last.

mr.WHO
x4

Post by mr.WHO » Fri, 1. May 09, 18:54

You wonder how the Shrike is so small.
I wonder how Phoenix is big comparing to other M2.

someone else
x3tc

Post by someone else » Fri, 1. May 09, 23:49

mr.WHO wrote:You wonder how the Shrike is so small. I wonder how Phoenix is big comparing to other M2.

In theory miniaturized components cost more than bigger and cruder components that have the same exact function.

But this does not explain why the Shrike is so small... Maybe they changed the "designers" team...

Or decided that to have an effective M2-killer was more cost-effective build a small and cheap Shrike with 4 gauss cannons than a BIG, clumsy and expensive Phoenix. (Profitsssssssss!)
is it possible to make it bigger ? like 9000x7500 ?

I did it this size because I wanted a comparison, not a wallpaper.
Having a wallpaper of it would be cool... mmh... it is a time consuming job, but not very difficult... you can do it too! :D
Trade, Fight, Build, Think, Modify.
Ship Rebalance Mod
OOS Rebalance
Resized Aldrin Big Rock
SIDE/TOP/FRONT Ship Size Comparison
Remember young Padawan: money stolen can be, time cannot.

delray
x3tc

Post by delray » Sat, 2. May 09, 00:24

Thanks for top view. I think this is the best way of comparing their size since it's usually the biggest profile ships have.

Now we can clearly see who has slim and dandy ships (Split) and who has fat ones (Boron).

We can also see how ugly Valhalla is. No wonder they hide it, they are just ashamed they use such a horrid ship as their home base.

shanrak
x4

Post by shanrak » Tue, 5. May 09, 16:56

great work! I've been looking for one with top view for a while. Thanks :)

Chealec
x3tc

Post by Chealec » Tue, 5. May 09, 21:08

I knew it - the Orca really is an enormous bubble-butt! Does it come with a wide load sticker?

Cheers for the top-down view ;)
[ external image ]

... old skool

MegaJohnny
x4

Post by MegaJohnny » Tue, 5. May 09, 21:31

I always thought the Yokohama was pretty tiddly for a frigate.

XanII
x4

Post by XanII » Wed, 6. May 09, 14:17

Good work.

Black background may not perhaps be the best option for printing out on paper though.
X3:TC Heavy M6 guide : : : Let's pretend you are an addict, lets pretend that you are a X-games player... but i am repeating myself here.

orion84
x4

Post by orion84 » Wed, 6. May 09, 14:34

Beautiful work.

Damn the pheonix is comparable to the Aran... It makes you wonder why its not armed to the teeth. So much available space to plop turrets everywhere. And still have room inside for a massive laser generator.

I may have answered my own question with the shrike... Maybe the Teladi did learn that bigger is always better. But still.. That Pheonix is massive..
***modified***

someone else
x3tc

Post by someone else » Wed, 6. May 09, 15:36

XanII wrote:Black background may not perhaps be the best option for printing out on paper though.
sorry... but this way they are more visible (think of the terran ships)

I never thought of people who wanted to print it... :D

but... yeah! to change the background I need to redo it... maybe another time!
orion84 wrote:Damn the pheonix is comparable to the Aran... It makes you wonder why its not armed to the teeth. So much available space to plop turrets everywhere. And still have room inside for a massive laser generator.
The Goners are strange people... they build a massive ship that is NOT armed AT ALL and then leave it romaing wild in the universe without anyone onboard....

Chealec wrote:I knew it - the Orca really is an enormous bubble-butt! Does it come with a wide load sticker?
hahahaha! all boron ships share the "Bubble-butt" feature, that makes them worthy for Mobile mining.

Anyways I think that this is what makes the Ray so sexy at my eyes (no, I'm not a fan of fat people).
Ship Rebalance Mod
OOS Rebalance
Resized Aldrin Big Rock

orion84
x4

Post by orion84 » Wed, 6. May 09, 15:45

someone else wrote:
orion84 wrote:Damn the pheonix is comparable to the Aran... It makes you wonder why its not armed to the teeth. So much available space to plop turrets everywhere. And still have room inside for a massive laser generator.
The Goners are strange people... they build a massive ship that is NOT armed AT ALL and then leave it romaing wild in the universe without anyone onboard....
Lol i meant the pheonix. Size of an Aran. Except the pheonix isn't armed to the teeth. :)

Well.. They probably left it because of its awesome stellar top speed of 12 m/s. They were probably so disappointed they used a UFJD to make it "disappear" hoping the Xenon might find a use for it. Alas, even the Xenon didn't.

And for all the assistance you gave them, the Goners decided "hey, you're a cool cat, take this UFJD and you might be surprised".

Swear to God, the first thing that my brother said when he spotted the Aran: My God! Look at the leg room! :lol:
***modified***

EmperorJon
x3tc

Post by EmperorJon » Wed, 6. May 09, 19:38

Terran ships have always seemed midget, now we have proof of just HOW midget. The Yokohama is M6 size! Oh, and THE THRESHER IS SO BIG, bigger than the Boreas!?

Ps. You should add TOAs and Gates on there so people can see why the valhalla isn't in the game... :wink: :P :lol:
______
I'm Jon. I'm mostly not around any more. If you want to talk, please message me! It's cool.
______

someone else
x3tc

Post by someone else » Wed, 6. May 09, 19:59

Well... a M6 is quite smaller... maybe I should add it to clarify...
EmperorJon wrote:Ps. You should add TOAs and Gates on there so people can see why the valhalla isn't in the game...
I always wanted to do that... but I don't know what and where are the models/textures files for them.... can you help me? :?
Ship Rebalance Mod
OOS Rebalance
Resized Aldrin Big Rock

Nanook
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Post by Nanook » Wed, 6. May 09, 23:39

orion84 wrote:....
Lol i meant the pheonix. Size of an Aran. Except the pheonix isn't armed to the teeth. :) ...
It's well known that the Teladi get most of their technology from the other races, creating ships, especially capital ships, that are an inefficient mass of struts and tubes and whatever else they can lay their talons on. They're also probably a generation behind in what they've 'acquired' from the other races, which may help explain the size of their capital ships, and the general inferiority of their smaller craft.
Have a great idea for the current or a future game? You can post it in the [L3+] Ideas forum.

X4 is a journey, not a destination. Have fun on your travels.

silenced
x4

Post by silenced » Thu, 7. May 09, 01:05

although it's kinda unlogical that the teladi got such big ships that cost soooo many ressources, look at the split ones -> that's how teladi should be, small and cost efficient ... such big ressource eaters are bad for the profitsssss, rly =), normally, at least should, however :/

but well,
... what is a drop of rain, compared to the storm? ... what is a thought, compared to the mind? ... our unity is full of wonder which your tiny individualism cannot even conceive ... I've heard it all before ... you're saying nothing new ... I thought I saw a rainbow ... but I guess it wasn't true ... you cannot make me listen ... I cannot make you hear ... you find your way to heaven ... I'll meet you when you're there ...

someone else
x3tc

Post by someone else » Thu, 7. May 09, 01:33

although it's kinda unlogical that the teladi got such big ships that cost soooo many ressources, look at the split ones -> that's how teladi should be, small and cost efficient ... such big ressource eaters are bad for the profitsssss, rly =), normally, at least should, however

nope! miniaturization and custom-made parts cost a lot more!
is it easier to make a reinforced beam or a handheld computer?
the Low-tech items are bigger and clumsier, but cheaper!

If you take all types of random cheap equipment (even those not meant for starships) and mount them randomly on some cheap propulsion system, and then use tape and string to hold the "ship" together the cost is low.

Having a group of designers that make blueprints, set up factories that produce parts for that ship and assemble them with specialized equipment costs more... although the results are different. :)
Ship Rebalance Mod
OOS Rebalance
Resized Aldrin Big Rock

XanII
x4

Post by XanII » Thu, 7. May 09, 13:07

someone else wrote:
XanII wrote:Black background may not perhaps be the best option for printing out on paper though.
sorry... but this way they are more visible (think of the terran ships)

I never thought of people who wanted to print it... :D

If you have the time i would really appreciate if you apply a thin black border around the ships and make the background white.

Whats' it called...Cell shading technique? No problem with Terran white ships after that. All ships are now clearly visible.

Yes i would definitely print theese. I just checked the company color printer and it's ready for this. :D but not in black, no way. Background must be white as the paper would be drenched in black and it looks bad.
X3:TC Heavy M6 guide : : : Let's pretend you are an addict, lets pretend that you are a X-games player... but i am repeating myself here.

Dopp
x3tc

Post by Dopp » Thu, 7. May 09, 13:12

silenced wrote:although it's kinda unlogical that the teladi got such big ships that cost soooo many ressources, look at the split ones -> that's how teladi should be, small and cost efficient ... such big ressource eaters are bad for the profitsssss, rly =), normally, at least should, however :/
The Teladi capitals are probably like the Trade Federation battleships in Star Wars or Spanish galleons in history: bulk cargo freighters and mining ships with added shields and guns/hangers to turn them into warships. Thus they are massive, slow but potentially very tough.
Last edited by Dopp on Sun, 10. May 09, 06:32, edited 2 times in total.

someone else
x3tc

Post by someone else » Thu, 7. May 09, 19:29

XanII wrote:If you have the time i would really appreciate if you apply a thin black border around the ships and make the background white.

Yes i would definitely print theese. I just checked the company color printer and it's ready for this. but not in black, no way. Background must be white as the paper would be drenched in black and it looks bad.
Ok... I can try to do that... check this prewiew and say what you think of it: click here

now... for the paper "drenched in black"... you could print it on a thicker paper! (I did it myself and worked fine)
Ship Rebalance Mod
OOS Rebalance
Resized Aldrin Big Rock

Return to “X Trilogy Universe”