Will there ever be x-online mmorpg

General discussions about the games by Egosoft including X-BTF, XT, X², X³: Reunion, X³: Terran Conflict and X³: Albion Prelude.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

Nothingbetter2do
x3

Will there ever be x-online mmorpg

Post by Nothingbetter2do » Wed, 8. Apr 09, 03:36

I have been playing Eve online for the past 7 months but now im bored of the game........ i prefer the dogfighting combat style of x3 rather than the orbit at optimal range and fire approach to eve online fighting.

Also eve online missions are very few (in difference) and very repetitive thus boring.

Mining is equally as boring

the skill training system in eve online is a pain in the ass as it holds u up from getting stuck into the game thus forcing u to get bored very quickly.

i would love to see x-online mmorpg game... i understand some restrictions would be needed such as not being able to command huge npc fleets... but thats ok cos a huge fleet of players in a guild would be more fun anyways... dogfights would be great fun. much better than just the orbit n shoot approach to eve online

a similar setup of core nursery systems (argon prime, etc) could be safe zones for noobs but any system thats unknown is open season for pvp.

does anyone else think x-online would be a cool game?

Eandir
x3tc

Post by Eandir » Wed, 8. Apr 09, 03:42

Eve is orbit and shoot because MMOFPS are impossible to keep from being laggy for 90% of the player base.

Not that it matters, the X3 universe will never see multiplayer, much less MMO status.

arcana75
x3tc

Post by arcana75 » Wed, 8. Apr 09, 04:02

Due to trajectory flight of X's ships it's easier to calculate and predict movement paths to optimise network traffic, compared to FPS for example.

And there are FPS MMOs.

If u want to experience a sort of X MMO, try this old game called Terminus (I think). It's around X2's time IIRC and allows multiplayer on a single host.

Then there's Freelancer.

PaulyJ76

Post by PaulyJ76 » Wed, 8. Apr 09, 04:08

I may stand corrected but i think there was an intention by Egosoft to make an Online multiplayer Universe some time after the release of X2. It was either binned or it turned into this

http://www.online-universe.net/44index.htm

What that is i cant fathum as it eventually returns me to this forum.

I really think it would be great to have a mp X-universe. It is so easy to develop mods and technologies, through the scripting engine, that i can see users being closely allied to a race, say Pirates, then developing Technologies to assist the pirate cause, and say Argons Developing counter mesures to those Technologies, sort of like an Arms Race. Oh what fun.

But that would of course make the game unfair, success being dependent upon which scripts you had installed.

One wonders if such a community as this would be possible with a MP X-universe where most people help each other.

Shame though!

Eandir
x3tc

Post by Eandir » Wed, 8. Apr 09, 04:09

I didn't say there weren't any FPS MMOs, I said none of them worked very well. I do not consider Freelancer an MMO.

Planetside was good, but the server capacities were insufficient and the game became unplayable.

RPG style games (Eve included) work for MMOs because a 1s delay doesn't mean much, while a 1s delay in an FPS or space sim means everything.

PaulyJ76

Post by PaulyJ76 » Wed, 8. Apr 09, 04:19

Gleaned from that fountain of knowledge Wikipedia

In 2000, Egosoft planned a multiplayer Online game called Online Universe or X Online. This project was intended to be "the next step in the evolution of Egosoft's X universe."[4] Egosoft has since released a number of games, yet given little indication of the progress of this project. Of 2003 Egosoft staff were working on a later version - codenamed X2OL - which Egosoft Director, Bernd Lehahn, described as "our long term goal."[5][6] There is still no official information on the Online Universe, though there has been speculation that X2 and X3's 2007 uplink feature may be a positive spin-off of this project.[7]

Treelor
x4

Post by Treelor » Wed, 8. Apr 09, 08:12

I suppose you could add a special afterburner that's pretty much essential, much like SETA, that boosts your speed by 10x and turns off if you interfere with your controls (So basically, SETA, only with ship speed instead of time) and have all factory production times divided by 10, so it's as if the game is running on 10x SETA all the time.

I'd love to see a system like Freelancer did - every server hosted is like it's own persistant universe. Would allow players to amass their own empire since the playerbase per server could still stay small, and on larger servers you could always restrict the number of stations and ships they could own on a per-value basis, so that you could have roaming bands of mercenary fleets or giant conglomerates but not both owned by the same player.

Gothsheep
x3tc

Post by Gothsheep » Wed, 8. Apr 09, 08:29

Treelor wrote:I suppose you could add a special afterburner that's pretty much essential, much like SETA, that boosts your speed by 10x and turns off if you interfere with your controls (So basically, SETA, only with ship speed instead of time) and have all factory production times divided by 10, so it's as if the game is running on 10x SETA all the time.

I'd love to see a system like Freelancer did - every server hosted is like it's own persistant universe. Would allow players to amass their own empire since the playerbase per server could still stay small, and on larger servers you could always restrict the number of stations and ships they could own on a per-value basis, so that you could have roaming bands of mercenary fleets or giant conglomerates but not both owned by the same player.
It's been pointed out before that this would require a tremendous investment in programing for virtually no return, as the people who are likely to play the LAN multiplayer aspect of the game are the same people who would buy it for the singleplayer anyway.

RoadRunner12
x3tc

Post by RoadRunner12 » Thu, 9. Apr 09, 14:43

Take a look at the link below. If this ever actually gets released, it will be the daddy of all online space games IMHO. Anyone for Elite 2 online?!

http://www.infinity-universe.com/Infini ... &Itemid=33

mrbadger
x3tc

Post by mrbadger » Thu, 9. Apr 09, 15:30

Ah this old chestnut again

The answers to th X mmorpeger question are as follows (as distilled from the many other threads that have brought this up).

1: The current X codebase doesn't support networking at all, and adding it would require lots of extremely expensive work.

2: The game as it is at present would not translate to a persistant multi user world.

3: No matter how many times you say 'oh it would be esy to code', you are wrong.

4: Egosoft haven't got the money, or the time.
If an injury has to be done to a man it should be so severe that his vengeance need not be feared. ... Niccolò Machiavelli

simo98

Post by simo98 » Fri, 22. May 09, 23:54

they already made X-online, its called EvE.

if you want dogfighting, just wait for Jumpgate: Evolution. Thats not far out and looks like it good be a good mid way point between Eve and X.
-Eh, ill get around to it.

Nanook
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Post by Nanook » Fri, 22. May 09, 23:56

You didn't need to dredge up a 2 month old thread just to say that.
Have a great idea for the current or a future game? You can post it in the [L3+] Ideas forum.

X4 is a journey, not a destination. Have fun on your travels.

Return to “X Trilogy Universe”