x3-LAN-Multiplayer (Egosoft, READ!!!)

General discussions about the games by Egosoft including X-BTF, XT, X², X³: Reunion, X³: Terran Conflict and X³: Albion Prelude.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

Rapier
x3tc

Re: x3-LAN-Multiplayer (Egosoft, READ!!!)

Post by Rapier » Wed, 4. Mar 09, 00:27

Wolf-R1 wrote:
Maximiliator wrote:I just wanted to make egosoft KNOW, that they d better put a Multiplayer Mode into TC !
:roll: Because you whiny, entitlement types get what you want when you try to shove your ideas down the throats of developers or anyone for that matter, right?
By all means have this debate (again) but keep off the personal comments please.
Rapier - The Orifice of all Knowledge

Godwin's Law is not one of the Forum Rules.
Search just the forum with Google

CBJ
EGOSOFT
EGOSOFT
x4

Post by CBJ » Wed, 4. Mar 09, 00:57

There will be no multi-player mode, LAN-based or otherwise, in any X3TC patch or update. The reasons for this have been explained a dozen or more times, and those reasons are not going to change just because yet another person makes the same baseless claim that it shouldn't be too difficult. Sorry if that sounds harsh, but I'm running out of subtle ways to say it.

The reality is that multi-player will come to the X-series when someone (probably a publisher) stumps up the cash, and when it does come it will be in a form that has some hope of paying back the cost of development. In all probability that means an MMO, or some LAN-based game that is a "stepping stone" on the way to an MMO. Either way it will be in some future game, not X3TC.

Naferius

Hmmm...maybe...

Post by Naferius » Fri, 6. Mar 09, 11:57

I was thinking when/if X3TC is multiplayer, players can hire other players to work for theyre corporation. I mean we all know how stupid AI is and a player pilot working for another player can do 100x times better in a descent M3 then an AI M3...It's not like every player will have all big and large fleets of AI going agains another player's fleet! Imagine 50 players all with large fleets doing this at the same time in different sector! Server PCs will blow up, or you'll be lagging until Xenon are developed IRL :lol:

PS: Ahhh just writhing down bu11sh1ts again, but think of it, cuz I know most of you have nothing better to do :D
:whispering to self: damn that was my stupidest thread ever... :lol:
One down... millions to go.

amtie
x3tc

Post by amtie » Fri, 6. Mar 09, 17:29

Well, yeah, CBJ is right. And even if egosoft had the cash for developing MP, they'd still require a large player-base in order to 1. bring costs of the game/sign-up down, and 2. actually break even and make the game profitable.

And frankly, with no advertising, no publishers to publish and advertise, and a... not-very-good game-quality release history, that's probably unlikely to ever happen... Unless egosoft gets a miracle or robs a bank :D

musicalfruit
x3tc

Post by musicalfruit » Fri, 6. Mar 09, 19:01

Not even all the money in the world could make the SETA concept work in a multiplayer setting, and without it the whole game universe would need to be redesigned and adapted.
It wouldn't be a X game anymore.

MegaJohnny
x4

Re: x3-LAN-Multiplayer (Egosoft, READ!!!)

Post by MegaJohnny » Fri, 6. Mar 09, 19:16

Maximiliator wrote: BUT it shouldnt be to complicated to imply a at least a LAN-Multiplayer function ! :evil:
How do you know

Black Gryphon
x4

Post by Black Gryphon » Fri, 6. Mar 09, 19:17

musicalfruit wrote:Not even all the money in the world could make the SETA concept work in a multiplayer setting, and without it the whole game universe would need to be redesigned and adapted.
It wouldn't be a X game anymore.
Actually I think you are mistaken there... SETA is supposed to slow down time for the player what it actually does is increase their speed. If SETA went back to slowing down time to the player then it could be used in multi player... Though the pilot would be dead before he knew there was a threat... Not very useful.

musicalfruit
x3tc

Post by musicalfruit » Fri, 6. Mar 09, 19:30

Black Gryphon wrote:SETA went back to slowing down time to the player then it could be used in multi player
That wouldn't make any sense, what would be the purpose of slowing you down?

perkint
x3tc

Post by perkint » Fri, 6. Mar 09, 19:43

musicalfruit wrote:Not even all the money in the world could make the SETA concept work in a multiplayer setting
Hmm - SETA is generally accepted as having been originally designed to make it easy to travel long distances. There are several methods that could work in multiplayer that would resolve this same issue (eg "motorways" that had no collision detection or ability to fire weapons but speeded you up by a factor of 10).

There's no way to use it to build cash faster (or repairs or whatever) in an MMO. Can't see it being done on LAN games, either, without being very disruptive.

Not one of the issues I would consider that significant, tho. TBH I don't think any of the issues are that difficult to come up with solutions.

But, that doesn't mean they are quick to implement and that is the issue.

You may be able to come up with a solution to every problem (and with computers you usually can) but it has to be a solution that you have the resource available to do - both the users hardware being up to it and having the developer time (ie money) to code and test it!

Cheers.

Tim

Chealec
x3tc

Post by Chealec » Fri, 6. Mar 09, 20:30

Or just subscribe to Jumpgate Evolution when it's released.

LANs are for Counterstrike... basically.

I'm a misanthropic megalomaniac - why would I want anyone else playing in MY sandbox :P
[ external image ]

... old skool

Rapier
x3tc

Re: Hmmm...maybe...

Post by Rapier » Fri, 6. Mar 09, 20:39

Naferius wrote:a naughty word
Please don't try to circumvent the swear filter.

If you can't all behave yourselves, this will get locked without further warning.
Rapier - The Orifice of all Knowledge

Godwin's Law is not one of the Forum Rules.
Search just the forum with Google

Szakalot
x3tc

Re: Hmmm...maybe...

Post by Szakalot » Fri, 6. Mar 09, 20:45

Naferius wrote:I was thinking when/if X3TC is multiplayer, players can hire other players to work for theyre corporation. I mean we all know how stupid AI is and a player pilot working for another player can do 100x times better in a descent M3 then an AI M3...It's not like every player will have all big and large fleets of AI going agains another player's fleet! Imagine 50 players all with large fleets doing this at the same time in different sector! Server PCs will blow up, or you'll be lagging until Xenon are developed IRL :lol:

PS: Ahhh just writhing down bu11sh1ts again, but think of it, cuz I know most of you have nothing better to do :D
:whispering to self: damn that was my stupidest thread ever... :lol:
yay, imagine working your <beep> off for some 12 year old emperor, patrolling totally safe trade routes for endless hours. THE FUN!

Deadbeat_Spinn
x3tc

Post by Deadbeat_Spinn » Fri, 6. Mar 09, 21:02

Judging from the recent postings on this thread I'm starting to think that this really needs to be deep sixed and I won't be sad to see it go.

Zoed Vega
x3tc

Post by Zoed Vega » Fri, 6. Mar 09, 21:36

Moderator erased post
Last edited by Zoed Vega on Tue, 4. Aug 09, 19:14, edited 1 time in total.

cale_online
x3ap

Post by cale_online » Fri, 6. Mar 09, 22:27

even though it will never happen, i dont want an MMO x3... lol
i'd basically be eve, which is dull and boring, and costs money when you're not playing it.

i do still like the idea of a multiplayer x3 style game...
but not with all the trading n stuff, more a quick deathmatch style game would be more suited, cos i dont really fancy sitting online with weeks on end with no SETA, just to be shot by someone who never sleeps and has slightly more money (like eve)..

maybe slap together a bunch of sectors in a row, or circle, or whatever.
make a few teams, each has a base, and capturable bases along the way, which earn you money/EQ/ships. then you all shoot each other until someone blows up someone elses base. game ends, start again.

mostly like Tachyon: the Fringe's multiplayer.

also have CTF, DM, TDM... ect ect.
sort of an unreal tournament in space. lol or battlezone 2 in space, where you can command an NPC army at the same time as blasting your friend in the face :P

Technology already exists (taychon), just needs updating to modern graphics, and ships remodelled to x3 ships!

amtie
x3tc

Post by amtie » Fri, 6. Mar 09, 23:34

Which is what i suggested around a month ago, but was shot down due to the MP issues. As long as X3.player > 1, no_can_do = true...

cale_online
x3ap

Post by cale_online » Sat, 7. Mar 09, 00:44

damit now i wanna play tachyon online, even tho no one will be on there.. lol

i randomly get the urge to start paying for eve again...

... then i remember how i used to put a movie on to watch while doing pretty much everything in the game... lol
... why is anyone paying for a game you dont actually play.. its really is like a job! a job you pay for...?
cos the only other time i try and find something to do to amuse myself until its all over... is when i'm at work... lol
same goes for WoW, LOTR:O, and Lineage II...
although Lineage II was actually quite fun, which is random cos its mostly like WoW... but somehow its less boring. :P

maybe it was something to do with the way on WoW everyone ignored me, unless they either wanted to kill me, or wanted money.
or maybe it was the fact that in Lineage II, if you chose a female avatar, all the 12 year olds who spend all day trying to get the camera to look up your extremely short skirt, shower you with money and gifts, so you dont have to grind for it, meaning you can get on and kill all the 12 year olds, trying to look up your skirt.... lol

errm, lost the plot abit there... back to topic

MMO X = waste of egosofts money/time/effort...!

mainly cos they'd have to compete with eve, which has 3,000,000 people with 2nd jobs on it.
and the new jumpgate game, which i dont know much about except its in space, and apparently isnt boring.

Chealec
x3tc

Post by Chealec » Sat, 7. Mar 09, 01:54

the new jumpgate game, which i dont know much about except its in space, and apparently isnt boring.
Jumpgate looks as though it'll be more like Elite or X than Eve... fly around in your ship, it's "twitch" play rather than RPG ... i.e. no classes, everyone is a pilot and your skills are well, your skills, how good you actually are at flying whichever particular crate you're in at any given time.

You can do all the Elite (2) type stuff from the sound of it, fly around, attack people, trade, mine, get new ships and so on but I'm not sure it'll have all the "empire" building stuff (factories) that X has.

However, it's only in alpha testing atm - you can sign up for beta but AFAIK it's not live yet. As with pretty much any MMO, it'll live and die on the player base - no matter how good the game is if it's full of greifers and poopy-hats then it'll suck (and vice versa).

The only problem I have with MMOs is basically that they require too much of an investment of time to be worthwhile.
[ external image ]

... old skool

CBJ
EGOSOFT
EGOSOFT
x4

Post by CBJ » Sat, 7. Mar 09, 02:10

Zoed Vega wrote:Because by what I am reading over and over is egosoft is basically broke.

As by what I am understanding on many post they put up.
"we can't afford this, we can't afford that, this cost too much, or we don't have the funds (money) to do it."

Its really sad to read this all the time.

by what I am understanding and reading, they can barely get a game out.
and they are making it by their bare teeth's.
There is a slight difference between being broke and not having a few million stashed away somewhere. :roll:
Zoed Vega wrote:the only problem is that Eve-Online is way too expensive.
This statement requires a reality check. Given the cost of developing and maintaining a game like that, I very much doubt that it is much more expensive than it absolutely has to be to enable the company to turn a profit.
Zoed Vega wrote:Now the thing is, do they want to really go ahead and do it this way,
or keep posting that they have no funds and complain it can't be done.
Thats up to them.

think about it.
No, you think about it. Egosoft has been around, doing business in this industry for nearly 20 years. Do you really think that simple ideas like hiring students haven't been thought of? Or implemented? A quick fact for you: a significant number of the people who work at Egosoft at any given time are students, and the company even goes one step further and involves volunteers from the player community in the development process. Those are the kinds of steps that help a small, independent developer to get by in the gaming industry; they don't magically solve everything and make it possible to self-fund massive projects. As someone mentioned earlier, developers have to eat, and believe it or not that applies even if they are students!

This is just one example of the way in which your post comes across as both insulting and patronising, as though everyone at Egosoft is just too stupid to see obvious solutions. Well here's a response, and I apologise in advance if it comes across as rude, but once again I'm struggling to find a nicer way to express it: if you had a few years experience in the games industry and some knowledge of how the company actually operates then you might be in a position to criticise, but as it stands you are just casting aspersions without any evidence to back up your statements.

Zoed Vega
x3tc

Post by Zoed Vega » Sat, 7. Mar 09, 06:00

Moderator erased post
Last edited by Zoed Vega on Tue, 4. Aug 09, 19:14, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “X Trilogy Universe”