3D Models and Stats Viewer : Version 2.0.3.2 (12th Dec 2010)

General discussions about the games by Egosoft including X-BTF, XT, X², X³: Reunion, X³: Terran Conflict and X³: Albion Prelude.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

Alex Corvis
x4

Post by Alex Corvis » Tue, 21. Dec 10, 17:17

Hi again,

yesterday the xtended terran conflict mod was released and I tried to use the the 3d viewer with this mod. When I start it, it loads the cat files, but as soon as it starts "populating universe" it doesn't do anything anymore. Is there any chance to fix that? Thanks.

A. Corvis

Marhkimov
x3tc

Post by Marhkimov » Wed, 22. Dec 10, 10:40

Alex Corvis wrote:Hi again,

yesterday the xtended terran conflict mod was released and I tried to use the the 3d viewer with this mod. When I start it, it loads the cat files, but as soon as it starts "populating universe" it doesn't do anything anymore. Is there any chance to fix that? Thanks.

A. Corvis
I second this. I have the same problem.

Any fixes?
-----
Marhkimov

exogenesis
x4

Post by exogenesis » Wed, 22. Dec 10, 11:33

I'm on it, got the XTC mod downloaded (huge!) last night after Alex's post.

I can see the reason why it locks up = xml-file read-in details (again), should get that sorted quickly.

There may be some new uses of game features that the viewer as not had to deal with before - we'll see...

Alan Phipps
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Post by Alan Phipps » Wed, 22. Dec 10, 11:38

@ exogenesis: Giving up your own preparations for Christmas to make your gifted work better for others and with no reward for yourself. You are a star!

exogenesis
x4

Post by exogenesis » Wed, 22. Dec 10, 11:46

No prob, I've got to have something to do over the next 2 weeks :)

Only one slight problem : just after last post my new camera arrived (Canon SX30 IS, good Postie!)
- may cause a few hours interference.

exogenesis
x4

Post by exogenesis » Thu, 23. Dec 10, 01:48

Well here's a test version
http://www.Exogenesis.co.uk/XModels3DVi ... C_Test.exe
(7 MBytes)

or just the exe : with a different name, i.e. you'll have to make you own desktop link,
(this is so you don't have to overwrite the previous installed version)
http://www.Exogenesis.co.uk/XModels3DViewer_2.0.3.3.exe
(1.5 MBytes)

known probs:
weapons key has many missing names,
possibly races should be expanded (somehow).

Should mention some minor extra changes (that will end up in the manual eventually):
1 : left-shift + click somewhere on model = re-center model's view on clicked point
= as before, but now the model 'part' highlights in blue while left-shift is held down.
2 : right-shift + click somewhere on model = as 1 but doesn't cause re-centering
(e.g. useful for identifying names of ship-turret sub-parts).
3 : Sizes of loaded ships/station/missiles are now shown in metres at the bottom of the stats window(s),
(these should match em3e3's recent table of object sizes, I hope)

Anyway, it's a start for viewing XTC-mod models, probably other problems may crop up, tell me what you find.

Alex Corvis
x4

Post by Alex Corvis » Sun, 26. Dec 10, 11:22

Hi, thanks. Now it works with most of the x-tc ships. But a few ships still cause crashes or freezes. For example the Terran Macana or the Hive Queen.

A. Corvis

exogenesis
x4

Post by exogenesis » Sun, 26. Dec 10, 22:35

Yes I can see the problem = embedded (docking) scenes within the ship scene file.
Unfortunately as yet I have only done the special case of gun-scenes (from dummies).
I haven't even yet done the more usual method for docking scene (i.e. with linkage from dummies etc).

Guess that's some fair amount of coding, not sure when I'll get to it atm,
mostly because I've already got interested in digital camera image-processing.

At least most ships/stations are viewable
- even if there are a few stats oddities & some gun names missing.

Nonpluszultra
xr

Post by Nonpluszultra » Wed, 29. Dec 10, 00:51

Thank You.
I tried the wiever on XTC as soon as it was launched, iwasn't really disappointed when it crashed and i hawe definitely not expected a fix that fast.
Keep up the good work!
kids, don't try this at home

surferx
x4

Post by surferx » Thu, 30. Dec 10, 16:45

Thanks exogenesis, for the XTC version. It really is an essential program. IMO thread shoud be stickied somewhere. :)
If you want to go fast, go alone.
If you want to go far, go together.

Operating System:
Windows 11 Pro 64-bit CPU: 13th Gen Intel Core i9-13900KF RAM: 32606 MBytes MBO: Gigabyte Z790 UD AC (U3E1) GPU: ZOTAC GEFORCE RTX 4080 Trinity OC NVIDIA 16 GB GDDR6 SSD: AJP600M2TB 1907 GB

Litcube
xr

Post by Litcube » Sun, 2. Jan 11, 09:44

Does the app support the weapon dummy positions and rotations from the components.txt? I know cockpit positions are extracted from it, but I can't get the app to react to dummy modifications within components.txt

exogenesis
x4

Post by exogenesis » Sun, 2. Jan 11, 12:42

Cheers Nonpluszultra & surferx
... I think it's 'stickied' via the 'The Ultimate X resource and guides list' topic :)

Litcube - yes, the components.txt & dummies.txt are parsed
for the weapon dummy parts/positions/rotations/animations.

The files do have to be built into a cat file though, 'raw-mode' doesn't work too well atm
(well maybe it does to some extent ? - really I should get that working properly sometime).

surferx
x4

Post by surferx » Sun, 2. Jan 11, 14:15

exogenesis wrote:Yes I can see the problem = embedded (docking) scenes within the ship scene file.
Unfortunately as yet I have only done the special case of gun-scenes (from dummies).
I haven't even yet done the more usual method for docking scene (i.e. with linkage from dummies etc).

Guess that's some fair amount of coding, not sure when I'll get to it atm,
mostly because I've already got interested in digital camera image-processing.

At least most ships/stations are viewable
- even if there are a few stats oddities & some gun names missing.
exogenesis wrote:Cheers Nonpluszultra & surferx
... I think it's 'stickied' via the 'The Ultimate X resource and guides list' topic :)

Litcube - yes, the components.txt & dummies.txt are parsed
for the weapon dummy parts/positions/rotations/animations.

The files do have to be built into a cat file though, 'raw-mode' doesn't work too well atm
(well maybe it does to some extent ? - really I should get that working properly sometime).
I and I'm sure many others would be appreciative if you did; especially the stat views, imo. All the ship's stats have changed so much in XTC it makes it much simpler to view the ships side by side when considering which ship you want.
Hopefully you find some idle time to address this before the real XTC gets released in the spring. Thanks again and have a nice New Year.
If you want to go fast, go alone.
If you want to go far, go together.

Operating System:
Windows 11 Pro 64-bit CPU: 13th Gen Intel Core i9-13900KF RAM: 32606 MBytes MBO: Gigabyte Z790 UD AC (U3E1) GPU: ZOTAC GEFORCE RTX 4080 Trinity OC NVIDIA 16 GB GDDR6 SSD: AJP600M2TB 1907 GB

Litcube
xr

Post by Litcube » Wed, 5. Jan 11, 06:20

You know what would be really, really handy for scene modders? You know the pivot point created when you shift-click? It puts a point on the model.

It would be totally weapon if that point's x, y, z could be displayed somewhere, so notepad scene modders can have a starting reference.

Edit: Or even identify the scene part index of the object we clicked.
:)

exogenesis
x4

Post by exogenesis » Wed, 5. Jan 11, 20:47

surferx, a nice new year was had (so far), hope yours is too.
Hopefully I'll get idle at some point :)

Litcube : the viewer put up wire-mesh markers centered on the pivot point when you press the right mouse-button :
The sub-mesh shows in cyan colour as long as you keep the shift pressed (times out after several seconds)
[ external image ]

The clicked-on (sub)object mesh-name should be shown in the lower-right area
(for several seconds, disappears at the same time as the cyan colour above does).

Showing coords of the pivot-point in shipbody-centric units: didn't think of that - I'll add it to the list...

Litcube
xr

Post by Litcube » Thu, 6. Jan 11, 05:55

@exo:

Yeah, I can see the meshes, and it's very will indicated visually where you've clicked. But when we're editing turrets, it'd be neat to see the P 0, or P 4, or whatever part we've clicked to tell which turret we need to edit.

An indicator at the bottom right of the screen like this would be slick:

P 12, X: -12333 Y: 12300 Z: 278888

It shows we've selected the 12th entry in the scene file, and the co-ordinates of that small brown dot in your screen shot, which is the center of the pivot point.

As an aside, your little app here has saved me countless hours as it is. So this isn't a complaint! You've done excellent work as it is.

Litcube
xr

Post by Litcube » Thu, 20. Jan 11, 04:18

Just to add to the text scene modder's idea, it would be need to have a "refresh" hotkey. It loads the currently viewed ship again from the scene file, and keeps the current view position.

exogenesis
x4

Post by exogenesis » Thu, 20. Jan 11, 20:06

I like your 'show the sub-part P-index & XYZ point' when model is clicked-on, should be easy,
even though it would be purely for modders & probably meaningless to general players.

Reloading a model while it's being displayed would be a bit more involved, have to think about that.

Need to sort XTC stats out a bit as well (soonish)

Litcube
xr

Post by Litcube » Thu, 20. Jan 11, 20:17

Thank you for the consideration exo.

Roguey
x4

Post by Roguey » Thu, 20. Jan 11, 21:38

I just wanted to say this is a great program - Ive used to make many of my ship/station pictures with it. Big thanks and keep up the brilliant work!
Roguey's Site: X3TC, X3AP, X3FL, X4.

Return to “X Trilogy Universe”