Darshu's OFFICIAL Best Ships...

General discussions about the games by Egosoft including X-BTF, XT, X², X³: Reunion, X³: Terran Conflict and X³: Albion Prelude.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

Fear
x3tc

Post by Fear » Mon, 2. Feb 04, 13:33

I use the Express allot for fetching energy cells, or nearly everything not XL sized. It's allot cheaper then the manta and the additional 250 cargo space isn't that needed. 3x25MW is nice though, gives me more time to respond to khaak attacks. sure 3x25MW doesn't make it THAT cheap, but it's allot more sturdy then the manta with 2x25MW.
Fear
--------
"Black holes suck"

Brianetta
x4

Post by Brianetta » Mon, 2. Feb 04, 13:39

cynric wrote:I prefer the Paranid Demeter for mining later in the game, because of the front mounted mobile drilling system ... don't want to turn around my ship everytime and additional ships (read Mantas) can take care of the ressources

you want to have a TL though, at least when mining far from factories that buy your mined ore/silicon
So you find it less trouble to manage a small fleet of ships to gather one asteroid's resources, than to simply fly a bit past an asteroid (Why turn around?) and use the rear turret from the mini monitor?

I fly past an asteroid (let's be very clear - I do not fly up to it and then turn around), and either hit F4 to bring up the monitor, or the joystick button to switch to the turret, and pop off the shots I need. Then, F5 or that same joystick button held down, brings me back to the front seat, but not before I've engaged the autopilot. This can't be more work than using the front but then having to get other ships to do all the scooping!

One 26 yield silicon asteroid gives one vulture-hold full of silicon wafers, and that can fill two empty factories with silicon for the princely total sum of almost 300,000 credits. That's easy money, and I've had a few trading promotions simply for scooping the yield in space. Occasionally I have had to come back for the last one or two fragments, but no other drill-capable TS can handle that amount of silicon. Ore is less of a problem, as it's only 2 volume per unit rather than 5, but its also much less profitable.

Remember, I'm not trading here, and I'm not fighting either - I am playing this game as a hardcore miner and salvager, with the judicious use of one Teladianium factory after I could afford it to get me Split docking privileges and somewhere to call home. I'm not doing badly!
PGP fingerprint: FA3D CA2F 38D3 BA69 87E1 D52E C204 FB5C 430A 0BFA

Brianetta
x4

Post by Brianetta » Mon, 2. Feb 04, 13:45

Darshu wrote:Hey this feedback is great. I did not know the Vulture could mount a Mobile Drilling System. :o

But in any case, the only mining I've done so far is to plop a factory on top of any decent 'roids for long term gains. And besides if you want to mobile drill, load up one in the left turret of a TL, and then you've got some room to work with! :D
Not only the Vulture, but the Caiman and the Demeter too.

Use a TL? Are you mental? With what cash?

Sure, ultimately I plan to purchase an Elephant, but that's several millions of credits away.

joostvv
x2

Post by joostvv » Mon, 2. Feb 04, 14:50

Hmmm,

Enlarging the cargo space on an M1 or M2 is not possible by docking Dolphins, since TP and TS ships cannot dock with M1 and M2 ships.

This makes the Teladi carrier my preferred ship as an Empire Control Centre.

Have fun !

Brianetta
x4

Post by Brianetta » Mon, 2. Feb 04, 14:56

joostvv wrote:Hmmm,

Enlarging the cargo space on an M1 or M2 is not possible by docking Dolphins, since TP and TS ships cannot dock with M1 and M2 ships.

This makes the Teladi carrier my preferred ship as an Empire Control Centre.

Have fun !
That's half right - TP and TS ships can dock at an M1, but not at an M2.

dconlon
x3

Great post...

Post by dconlon » Mon, 2. Feb 04, 15:03

I would like to add a tiny bit to this well thought out and written post...

Best ship to "Work" in.

This would be the craft that "you" pilot most.
Here is my opinion on this ship.

- It has to be jump capable.
- It also has to have enough cargo to carry the e-cells needed.
- If you run into a pirate or even a cluster it has to be survivable.

M2 are to slow for my taste and they can not dock with any stations.

M3's have the same issues as the M2's

TL's I tend to do allot of moving around in my Split Elephant due to its speed. But it also can not dock at factories.

M6's are great fun to putter around in if your "bustin clusters!" (note I use the Dragon mostly due to its speed.) But they can not dock at factories and can not carry support craft.

M5's To small but they do have nice speed. But you will be reloading and saving allot if you do much empire building in the cockpit of these quick ships.

M4's are not really good at anything. There are many ships faster and the 5mw shields just don't hack it. Bump a transport and Kabloowie! Your gone. This is the most useless class of ship in the game.

TS's To slow, these ships are only good as storage containers and mining vessles, although some TL class ships are better miners in my opinion.

M3's Great shielding, Great weapon loadouts. But not enough cargo or speed.

There is only one ship in the game that allows you to dock at factories, has enough sheilding to take on a cluster and live, has a great weapons load out and enough cargo to jump the empire and back... and that goes to the split Iquana. I have named my Iquana "Yacht" Its 308 speed and its 3 forward weapon mounts that allow GPAC's and Ions is fantastic. 2 X 25mgw sheilds a little low but enough if your not reckless. This ship is in my opinion the best at capturing and does a fine job busting clusters.

Well thats my humble opinion a new player would do well to save the cash (less than an M4) to buy a Iquana early on.

-Eldrid

Micuryath
x2

Post by Micuryath » Mon, 2. Feb 04, 16:14

@dconlon

I must agree.
You can buy all rudder tunigs and it is agil as an m3 fighter. It cost nearly nothing and is faster then any M3 ship and has same shielding.

But the cargo space is the big plus. No more thinking about, do I need to refuel when going to XYZ when buying drohnes for your frighters.

and 3 Mainlasers are awesome.

cynric
x2

Post by cynric » Mon, 2. Feb 04, 17:07

Brianetta wrote:
cynric wrote:I prefer the Paranid Demeter for mining later in the game, because of the front mounted mobile drilling system ... don't want to turn around my ship everytime and additional ships (read Mantas) can take care of the ressources

you want to have a TL though, at least when mining far from factories that buy your mined ore/silicon
So you find it less trouble to manage a small fleet of ships to gather one asteroid's resources, than to simply fly a bit past an asteroid (Why turn around?) and use the rear turret from the mini monitor?

I fly past an asteroid (let's be very clear - I do not fly up to it and then turn around), and either hit F4 to bring up the monitor, or the joystick button to switch to the turret, and pop off the shots I need. Then, F5 or that same joystick button held down, brings me back to the front seat, but not before I've engaged the autopilot. This can't be more work than using the front but then having to get other ships to do all the scooping!

One 26 yield silicon asteroid gives one vulture-hold full of silicon wafers, and that can fill two empty factories with silicon for the princely total sum of almost 300,000 credits. That's easy money, and I've had a few trading promotions simply for scooping the yield in space. Occasionally I have had to come back for the last one or two fragments, but no other drill-capable TS can handle that amount of silicon. Ore is less of a problem, as it's only 2 volume per unit rather than 5, but its also much less profitable.

Remember, I'm not trading here, and I'm not fighting either - I am playing this game as a hardcore miner and salvager, with the judicious use of one Teladianium factory after I could afford it to get me Split docking privileges and somewhere to call home. I'm not doing badly!
Uh, I wasn't exactly talking about mining ONE asteroid.

I usually jumped in the sector with my Hercules (TL). Unloaded some Mantas (later I used Dolphins, slower but lots of cargo space) on command "collect all wares". Jumped in my Demeter.

Target next asteroid, press u, stop infront of the asteroid (manually, that autopilot just keeps crashing into some of the bigger asteroids), break him apart. Repeat until sector is empty or all ships are full.

As I mentioned in my last post, that is for later in the game when you probably have most of the needed ships already (and you really need a TL or M1 for this to work, as the jumpdrive is useless for multiple ships and you have to sell huge amounts of minerals across multiple sectors).

You're right, without a TL, having enough cargo space in your mining ship is superior to the convenience of a front mounted drilling system. I'm sorry, didn't think about that.

I'll try your method in my new started game, never tried to use the back turret in a monitor. I flew to an asteroid, pressed F2 two times to look backwards, turned my ship. F1 two times to get in the turret, shoot the asteroid, engage autopilot to pick up the ore/silicon, F2, F1 to jump back to front view.

Switching the view was quite annoying, but I guess it won't be necessary with the turret view in a monitor :)

pjknibbs
x4

Post by pjknibbs » Mon, 2. Feb 04, 17:09

Micuryath wrote:@dconlon

I must agree.
You can buy all rudder tunigs and it is agil as an m3 fighter. It cost nearly nothing and is faster then any M3 ship and has same shielding.

But the cargo space is the big plus. No more thinking about, do I need to refuel when going to XYZ when buying drohnes for your frighters.

and 3 Mainlasers are awesome.
While I love the Split Iguana to death, there is one slight problem you're not taking account of here. Since it is TP class, it requires 10 energy cells per sector jumped, whereas an M3 class only requires 5--therefore you only need half the cargo bay to have the same jump range on an M3. Something like an Orinoco, which I think can also mount IDs and has a whopping cargo bay for an M3 class, would therefore be good--not quite as fast, but much better acceleration.

cynric
x2

Post by cynric » Mon, 2. Feb 04, 17:18

pjknibbs wrote: While I love the Split Iguana to death, there is one slight problem you're not taking account of here. Since it is TP class, it requires 10 energy cells per sector jumped, whereas an M3 class only requires 5
wait a minute

different energy cell usage with different ship types? Did I miss a description somewhere, or is this just another thing you're supposed to find out for yourself?

Is it just that fighters use 5, all others use 10 or does every ship class has it's own efficiency concerning energy cells?

Oh well, another entry on my todo list for the next game session :D

Momaw
x3tc

Re: Great post...

Post by Momaw » Mon, 2. Feb 04, 17:21

dconlon wrote: ...
TL's I tend to do allot of moving around in my Split Elephant due to its speed. But it also can not dock at factories.
It doesn't need to. Keep a few ships on there, and tell them what to do. I've got 5 "Minions" that do my non-mining business. When I enter an asteroid-rich sector, I check the Best Buys computer and send my Minions off to acquire things while I move the TL toward the rocks. Break up a few rocks then dock again, by that time they've returned; check the Best Selling Price computer, send out my Minions to sell the stuff they brought back. Stockpile weapons in the Toy Chest until we reach an equipment dock.

It's a bustling center of industry :) Ships coming and going all the time.

And it easily survives Khaak clusters, even the really big ones. I just open the Toy Chest, pull out a handful of Wasp missiles, and soften the cluster up before they actually get to my ship, at which point I lead a squadron of 6 Nova's to clean them up.

(my Elephant is my "working ship", obviously)

Speaking of which, Brianetta, how the heck close are you to buying that TL already! You were still working on its weeks ago! :D

Al
x3tc

Post by Al » Mon, 2. Feb 04, 17:21

I think its proportional to the size of ship. i.e. Cap ships will use more than M3s.

not sure on amounts though as I'm only at owning the M3s stage in the game!

Al
X2 Capture Guru - X3:TC Noob :D
X2 Capture Guide

Andergum
x3

Post by Andergum » Mon, 2. Feb 04, 22:05

Good stuff!!!

I disagree on the Centaur over the Nemesis for sector defense though.

I have 30 Centaurs and 30 Nemesis on Khaack patrol and have found that the Nemesis do a bit better job of eliminating the Khaack mainly due to their speed. The Centaurs do a pretty good job but often times other ships get damaged or destroyed in their sector before they can finish off the Khaack attackers.

Also I have never had to replace a Nemesis due a ship getting destroyed where I have had to replace several Centaurs.

As an added bonus the Nemesis can use the PSG's. I have found that a Nemesis with a 1-GHEPT, 1-BHEPT and 1-BPSG in the rear turret is an almost unstoppable Khaack deterrant and pretty safe for flying around amongst friendly stations etc.

I also prefer the Zeus over the Raptor mainly due to the PSG's that the Zeus can use. The Raptor has a huge ship holding capacity (150) but the Zeus at 83 is no slouch and it has much more firepower with the PSG's mounted. A Zeus filled with several wings of Perseus is truly devastating!
I think I may be a bit partial to the way the Zeus looks. I have 2 Odysseus and a Zeus and it looks like a swarm of giant space cicadas flying in formation. :)
Last edited by Andergum on Mon, 2. Feb 04, 22:34, edited 1 time in total.

Juggernaut_NL
x2

Post by Juggernaut_NL » Mon, 2. Feb 04, 22:26

Excellent stuff! :D

Brianetta
x4

Post by Brianetta » Mon, 2. Feb 04, 22:49

Momaw wrote:(my Elephant is my "working ship", obviously)

Speaking of which, Brianetta, how the heck close are you to buying that TL already! You were still working on its weeks ago! :D
Well, I've been missing precious X2 hours working on the fifth edition of the Argonopedia. It's nearly ready, but while Jon "Mapman" Handby has his computer in the shop, I can get some playtime in.

I am nowhere near the TL. I have a station, and I have my vulture, my discoverer and my new scorpion, with an iguana doing the EC fetching for the factory. Bearing in mind that I am not trading, my sole real income is from open cast mining. It's slow, but fun because it's unique.

I did all the trading and capturing in X-Tension. It's nice to have some real alternative career paths!

pjknibbs
x4

Post by pjknibbs » Mon, 2. Feb 04, 22:54

cynric wrote:Is it just that fighters use 5, all others use 10 or does every ship class has it's own efficiency concerning energy cells?

Oh well, another entry on my todo list for the next game session :D
All fighters (M3, M4, M5) = 5 per sector
Freighter class ships (TS, TP) = 10 per sector
Station haulers (TL) = 20 per sector

I haven't yet got an M1 or an M2, but I would imagine they use 20, just like the TL does.

[EDITED TO CORRECT THE FIGHTER CLASSES--D'oh!]
Last edited by pjknibbs on Tue, 3. Feb 04, 09:05, edited 1 time in total.

-TD-13-
x3

Post by -TD-13- » Tue, 3. Feb 04, 01:06

Brianetta wrote:
Momaw wrote:(my Elephant is my "working ship", obviously)

Well, I've been missing precious X2 hours working on the fifth edition of the Argonopedia. It's nearly ready, but while Jon "Mapman" Handby has his computer in the shop, I can get some playtime in.

I am nowhere near the TL. I have a station, and I have my vulture, my discoverer and my new scorpion, with an iguana doing the EC fetching for the factory. Bearing in mind that I am not trading, my sole real income is from open cast mining. It's slow, but fun because it's unique.

I did all the trading and capturing in X-Tension. It's nice to have some real alternative career paths!
I actually prefer this this way as well.... a laid back approch to X2.
I've been so caught up in X2's economy and SPP building that after a while the game can fade into the background, and all you notice are the numbers, menus, and factories. So, after setting up my last batch of SPPs in ROT (thanks PJ for that! :D ) I've decided to rough it and get into mining. All I can say is that it's great..... although a lot of work at times, and slow going as well, it allows you to really admire the sheer beauty of X2 and get back in touch with the meaning of "space exploration" :)

Achatos
x3

Post by Achatos » Tue, 3. Feb 04, 01:47

I agree with most of Darshu's choices, except for the M3!!

I strongly prefer a Paranid Perseus over a Nova, because the Perseus is faster and is also compatible with PSG lasers to attack the Khaak. In a Nova you are helpless when you encounter the Khaak!

Secondly, the Persues can also hold HEPT's. It is the ideal fighting ship.

CT3
x2

Post by CT3 » Tue, 3. Feb 04, 01:55

Good show laddie!!

very informative,

alrdy knew most points about ships good and bad but still it was a good read...

Micuryath
x2

Post by Micuryath » Tue, 3. Feb 04, 02:57

@pjknibbs

jep you need double on e-cells for a jump,
but compared to a nova (with a cargobay of 236) - (2xBHEPT = 12,+ 1xGPAC,=3 + 2 Ion = 20, 3x25M shields=30,all 65) leftover space for jump-cells are 171 == 34 Jumps and the Iguana (450) (3x GPAC = 9, + 2 Ion = 20, 2x25M shields=20; all togehter 49) leftover space for jump-cells are 401 == 40 Jumps ...

not to mention the extra money to uprade the cargo space... :)

Return to “X Trilogy Universe”