Darshu's OFFICIAL Best Ships...

General discussions about the games by Egosoft including X-BTF, XT, X², X³: Reunion, X³: Terran Conflict and X³: Albion Prelude.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

Darshu
x3

Post by Darshu » Wed, 12. May 04, 22:55

Myrrath wrote:Excellent thread.

I noticed though that when you were discussing the M1's and the M2's you left out the Argon ships.

Any particular reason?? I haven't managed to get very far yet but was looking at grabbing a Titan. Any reason I should avoid these???

Just curious :D
Well, haven't played in a while, but thinking of getting back into it, so thought I'd refresh this topic cause of all the "noobies" :P

In any case, my experience with the cap ships led to my conclusions. The Argon ships are all "middle of the road" ships. They'll do the job, but don't really excel in any one area (except for the Argon Nova, which is probably the best all round combat ship, period).

With the cap ships, especially if you pilot them yourself, you're going to want as much speed and maneuverability as you can squeeze out of them. In pretty much every category, the Titan is substandard compared to the other M2s. Some are faster, some have better weapon loadouts (ESPECIALLY the Paranid Odysseus, capable of mounting 18 PSGs...), more cargo space or more dockable ships even.

I would suggest taking a look at the various sites that list shipstats (I think there's a link to it in the Ultimate Answer post that's stickied), and make you decision from that. The Titan may look like the cool Starship Troopers ship, but remember the lesson learned, one shot from a bug would blow up those ships... :lol:

pjknibbs
x4

Post by pjknibbs » Thu, 13. May 04, 09:02

Darshu wrote: In any case, my experience with the cap ships led to my conclusions. The Argon ships are all "middle of the road" ships. They'll do the job, but don't really excel in any one area (except for the Argon Nova, which is probably the best all round combat ship, period).
I'd say the Nova is middle of the road as well, mainly due to its low speed--it's a tank, really. The only thing which gives it an advantage is its rear turret, and personally I'd rather fly a ship which is fast enough to not need one (e.g. Paranid Perseus).

Lutzie
x2

Post by Lutzie » Thu, 13. May 04, 09:24

Same here. I much prefer the Mamba over the Nova. The only dodgy thing to do in a Mamba is take on a the largest Khaak cluster. Sheer weight of numbers and missiles wears you down then, although if you take out the M3 fast and have a healty supply of wasps and mosquito's you can still do it.

I'd give Nova second place TBH. Although I've not yet flown all the M3's... :(

Infact not played X2 recently! :(
People, LEARN:

Lose: To be unsuccessful in retaining possession of; for example: He's always losing his money.
Loose: Not fastened or restrained; for example: Loose papers

Mad Max 36
x2

Post by Mad Max 36 » Thu, 13. May 04, 14:45

I agree with Darshu's selection of the Ody as the best M2 - since the PPC/PSG combo is lethal. However, I do not like leaving PSG's in the hands of this games AI - since they are likely to decimate my growing fleet of ships.

So my favourite M2 to leave in AI hands is the Xenon K - I have 5 maxed out K's - and another 3 waiting for shields and guns. It is the fastest, has the best acceleration and easily the best steering (when maxed out).

It only takes standard weapons - but as I said PSG's are dangerour in AI hands, I don't like the mass driver and the IOD works at very short range, so I'm happy with PPC's.

The only significant disadvantage, is that you cannot dock to it (although stats say it takes 5 fighters) but hoperfully this will be rectified in 1.4 - so have to mess around transporting transporters!!!

In terms of the M3 fighter - I am currently stocking my Raptor with Nova's and Perseus ships (mainly the latter) The Perseus has to be the best carrier ship, since the lack of cargo space is not relevant. So I have been keeping my 'assassination mission' ships and kitting them out - strangely only seem to get the extra speed on the Perseus and none on the Nove (best one does 260). Any Falcon's, Mamba's or Barracuda's get sold (kept some Mamba's for courier duties).

Mad Max

Darshu
x3

Post by Darshu » Thu, 13. May 04, 23:53

Oh I'll agree that the Nova is as fast as a rock, and not too maneuverable, but the combination of Hornets, 2xBHEPT, rear turret, 3x25MW shields, and able to mount IonDs simply makes it the BEST all around ship for anybody.

Pilots with better skill (or better computers) can get away with a Mamba, or if your sole purpose is destroying the enemy, the Perseus, but as I've said i live versatility, and the ability to capture a bunch of ships, or utterly destroy them is nice... :D

[edit] oh and just curious, but how did you get the Xenon Ks? A script, or did 1.3 open up cap ship hunting as a new sport?

pjknibbs
x4

Post by pjknibbs » Fri, 14. May 04, 08:35

Darshu wrote: [edit] oh and just curious, but how did you get the Xenon Ks? A script, or did 1.3 open up cap ship hunting as a new sport?
How on earth have you missed all the discussion about THAT? Since the game was released (and, in fact, earlier) it's been possible to capture Xenon Ks. All you have to do is get a very high combat ranking (Ace of Aces 1st Grade) and then take on one of the missions where somebody asks you to transport them to another factory because the Xenon are after them.

At that rank Xenon Ks spawn as part of the Xenon force sent to fetch the guy (he must have REALLY p'ed them off), and those Ks are capturable.

Skeletal
x3tc

Post by Skeletal » Fri, 14. May 04, 10:27

I love posts about "which is the best ship". Think about it, Egosoft have been very clever and deserve praise for this: to come up with so many differences in such a way that loads of people spend loads of time saying why "their" ship is better than anybody elses!!! WONDERFUL!!!

Thus, all posts are correct because the best ship is the XXXX.

One interesting thing for me is that quite a few people say XXXX is the best because of its missile loadout...I have never used a missile...they cost money....lost profitsssssss :lol:

Skeletal

Lorelei
x2

Post by Lorelei » Fri, 14. May 04, 15:15

I don't use missiles either.

Unless they're left behond when I destroy something, mostly prates. Even then, I don't tend to use them.

-River-
x2

Post by -River- » Tue, 22. Jun 04, 00:13

One of the best threads linked from the ultimate guide. Time to pay my tribute ;)

Great help when I first started the game to help with selecting right ships for right function.

Re the TPs ships, personally I like the paranid hermes for its speed, cargo, max shielding of 3x25 and price $ as a compromise between the manta and the iguana. Excellent ship for cross-sector travels and everything else except for e-cells/crystals. I still use manta for buying ECs form the AI and the iguana for buying crystals.

Many thanks !

nattuo
x2

Post by nattuo » Tue, 17. Aug 04, 18:20

i'm totally rubbish at this game i've restarted already and this game isn't going to well either, my bro says i should put a silicon mine on a 26 (or higher) yield rock, i followed this advice originally and made no money so can someone tell me a good place to put a silicon mine(other than presidents end(duh) and ore belt as it gets attacked by khaak) and i am aware of selling produce and buying energy crystalsetc

CBJ
EGOSOFT
EGOSOFT
x4

Post by CBJ » Tue, 17. Aug 04, 18:30

You already asked a similar question once here. That time too, it was attached to the end of a thread where it made no sense so I split it off. If you want to ask a new question that isn't associated with the thread you are reading then click on "New Topic" rather than "Reply".

Darshu
x3

Post by Darshu » Thu, 19. Aug 04, 02:42

Skeletal wrote:Thus, all posts are correct because the best ship is the XXXX.

One interesting thing for me is that quite a few people say XXXX is the best because of its missile loadout...I have never used a missile...they cost money....lost profitsssssss :lol:

Skeletal
Of course, you can just go Xenon and Pirate hunting and steal THEIR missiles, if you really need to use em. :D

Hornets are nice if you don't use PSGs...

alperuzi
x3tc

Post by alperuzi » Thu, 19. Aug 04, 20:43

I don't know if it has been mentioned before, but TP and TS clases are now a little different with 1.4

Maybe you should edit the first post a little Darshu, no?

I would put a word for the Demeter and the Caiman for the TS class, both being very speedy now.
I'm back at X:R!!!

Ebany
x4

Post by Ebany » Sat, 6. Nov 04, 13:55

I realise I am a little late in this disscussion, but I did wish to add my 5 cents.

Favourite ships will vary will everyone as this mainly depends on your choosen career path, but as for the most versitile......

It is by far the Goner Ship!

Firstly they can take all the upgrades (except Ore Collector) of a standard TP or TS. With a speed of 217 and steering of 120% they rocket through space with awesome turning. You cant go wrong with cargo space of 430, this baby means business (with the small problem of only "L" capacity). As cargo carrier, who needs weapons? Not the Goner ship, it can take 3x25MW shields making it as tough as a Merc with almost twice the speed.

I am yet too see a TP or TS carry its full load when doing station runs, so considering the Goner ships assets (and its FREE), this baby makes a great runner for "base" stations like energy or wheat.

And its bigest and best advantage yet!!! It can dock with a an M2 battleship and act as a carrier. A Boron Ray for example can take 5 of these babies....thats more than 2000 extra cargo!

As a last note, I have to say that I have never lost on yet too any attack on a sector.... wish I could say the same for other TP's or TS's.
He who bends himself a joy
Does the winged life destroy,
But he who kisses joy as it flies
Lives in eternities sunrise.

senor135
x3

Post by senor135 » Wed, 14. Dec 05, 18:18

err... wait is this guide to X2 ships? does darshu wanna write one for X3? :D

CBJ
EGOSOFT
EGOSOFT
x4

Post by CBJ » Wed, 14. Dec 05, 18:37

Ebany wrote:I realise I am a little late in this disscussion, but I did wish to add my 5 cents.
Please don't dig up a thread that is getting on for two years old to do it. To avoid confusion for X³ players, I think this had better make its way back down again.

Return to “X Trilogy Universe”