[TC] Unholy Traitor start : Holy bleep?!

General discussions about the games by Egosoft including X-BTF, XT, X², X³: Reunion, X³: Terran Conflict and X³: Albion Prelude.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

Creston
x3tc

Unholy Traitor start : Holy bleep?!

Post by Creston » Mon, 3. Nov 08, 08:47

I tried this start five times tonight. All five times, I failed to get out of the starting sector.

I like to think I'm pretty good at combat and can get away with difficult starts, but this one really has me stumped. You're given a pretty awesome ship (prototype M3, the name escapes me for a second) with a fantastic weapons loadout (which include 6 PBEs!)

Sadly, that's about all you're given. Your ship has no Fight MK2, so no autoaim. Without autoaim, those PBEs basically NEVER hit. You've also got one (1) 5 (five) MJ shield. :o

Your speed is a staggering 92m/s.

The sector you start in hates your guts, so you can't land anywhere. The nearest marginally friendly sector is 2 or 3 sectors away. And ofcourse, the ever present bounty hunter swarms.

I've managed to take out 3 swarms before the accumulated damage to my ship just gets to be this much, and I don't have enough time to repair it inbetween sorties. Obviously the 5 MJ shield lasts all of ~ 2 seconds, and then your hull starts getting chewed to smithereens.

Has anyone managed to get things going succesfully with this start? I finally gave up and started the ridiculously easy (in comparison) Bankrupt Assassin start, where I accumulated a million credits in an hour or so, and am now fighting my way up the Split ranks to be able to buy some shields and weapons.

Anyone with some hints for the Unholy Traitor?

Creston

LazerX
x4

Post by LazerX » Mon, 3. Nov 08, 09:22

Wow. I gotta try that start right now. Be right back! :lol:

LazerX
x4

Post by LazerX » Mon, 3. Nov 08, 09:39

Okay this is hard for sure. I'm just hiding between 2 wall-like structure on Split Trading Port. Popping in and out killing one by one till clear. :(

Fewdy
x3

Post by Fewdy » Mon, 3. Nov 08, 09:43

Problem is that it's not going to be clear. I think you just get endless amounts of bounty hunters and stuff that spawns from gates. It's hilariously hard. I tried once and almost got the first gate but then it spawned M3 and some M4's with either PBE's or PRG's and that was that as they say.

LazerX
x4

Post by LazerX » Mon, 3. Nov 08, 09:48

Gonna keep trying to beat this. Trying to get to ocean of fantasy.

Elucca
x3tc

Post by Elucca » Mon, 3. Nov 08, 11:12

Some of the new starts are pretty damn hard indeed. I tried the Boron one, and it put me in the middle of a Xenon core sector in a TP!

Atkara
x3tc

Post by Atkara » Mon, 3. Nov 08, 12:19

Elucca wrote:Some of the new starts are pretty damn hard indeed. I tried the Boron one, and it put me in the middle of a Xenon core sector in a TP!
:o

Who said Egosoft devs don't have sense of humor?:rofl:

ScorpiusX
x4

Post by ScorpiusX » Mon, 3. Nov 08, 12:29

Well I managed to get out of the starting sector, I just flew straight up for about five mins then headed for a point above the nearest gate. Went through it and got creamed by half a dozen Paranid bounty hunters lying in wait on the other side.
And I agree that bankrupt assassin is easy compared to this start, especially now that earning rep is so easy.

I tried Lost Lar once and gave that up until I was in a more masochistic mood
ScorpiusX Corp company motto:

"We don't want to rule the Galaxy"
"We just want to own it!"

LazerX
x4

Post by LazerX » Mon, 3. Nov 08, 12:31

I finally got out. I went through Xenon sector to Grand Exchange.

ScorpiusX
x4

Post by ScorpiusX » Mon, 3. Nov 08, 12:33

What?? Does this give you a random Split start sector? I could have sworn blind that it started me in family rhonkar or rhonkars fire.
ScorpiusX Corp company motto:

"We don't want to rule the Galaxy"
"We just want to own it!"

jahulath
x2

Post by jahulath » Mon, 3. Nov 08, 13:36

Elucca wrote:Some of the new starts are pretty damn hard indeed. I tried the Boron one, and it put me in the middle of a Xenon core sector in a TP!
That's odd, I started that one last night (and then quickly quit again :P ) it put me in Kingdoms end with an M5, no guns, no Missiles and 1000 credits to my name... I really don't have the patience for trading energy cells in an Octopus!
Are these starts randomized? If so I'll go at it until I start with am M1 (as if)

PS: I hate the music in Kingdoms End, all I can hear is Rolf Harris singing "Stairway to Heaven" :roll:

cezarip
x3tc

Post by cezarip » Mon, 3. Nov 08, 13:45

jahulath wrote:
That's odd, I started that one last night (and then quickly quit again :P ) it put me in Kingdoms end with an M5, no guns, no Missiles and 1000 credits to my name... I really don't have the patience for trading energy cells in an Octopus!
I think the start name is "Lost Lar" or so, not the boring boron start.
Provided that the laws of mathematics are
related to reality, they are not reliable. And if
they are reliable, they aren’t related to
reality.

Albert Einstein

Aetius
x3tc

Post by Aetius » Mon, 3. Nov 08, 15:42

It is indeed Lost Lar. You start out in Xenon Core 023, meaning you have a minimum of three Xenon sectors to cross before reaching somewhere where everyone doesn't want to kill you.

Deathifier
xr

Post by Deathifier » Mon, 3. Nov 08, 19:06

Just tried the Unholy Traitor start and it is indeed insane!

I got a good distance to the first gate, went through two M5's head-on (don't turn around!) and the PAC's in the front and rear turrets took potshots at the other M5, with the rear turret destroying it despite the only command available being "attack my target" - and I had an upcoming M3 targetted...

The M3 went down too, more by luck than anything else. It fired a missile as I was firing a short PBE burst.

With the PAC's in the turrets the SEMI autoaim mode kinda works.

Unfortunately my escape was cut short when a heavy dragon and a frigate intercepted me.

The dragon is a problem - it flies faster!
The frigate is a slightly lesser problem - it has all those fun explody weapons.

Strafe drive and gentle shallow turns to avoid fire works, but not forever.

To finish things off something fired a missile barrage - more than 10 in a row. Most blew up on the way, I have no idea what the turret was doing, but eventually one got through and hull got cut in half. The already slow ship stops, and kaboom...

Perhaps other starting sectors have better odds?

- Deathifier

Flector
x4

Post by Flector » Mon, 3. Nov 08, 22:13

I just started a poisoned paranid game, thinking it would be the most difficult start.
But reading your comments here it looks like the unholy traitor start is way more difficult.
X2: Advanced Magnate, Ace of Aces 1st grade ~ X3R: Master Economist, Crusader
X3TC: Magnate, X-TREME ~ X4F: Salesman, Harmless

delray
x3tc

Post by delray » Mon, 3. Nov 08, 22:52

Is there a list of all starts, how to get them and what they are about somewhere?

Also, I unlocked a bunch of starts already. But they all freaking disappeared after I tested each of them. Like Pious Paranid. What the hell? :-(

Creston
x3tc

Post by Creston » Tue, 4. Nov 08, 01:51

ScorpiusX wrote:What?? Does this give you a random Split start sector? I could have sworn blind that it started me in family rhonkar or rhonkars fire.
You start in a reasonably random split sector. It's random to the extent that it'll put you in a sector that's bordered by split sectors on all sides.

I've started in Family Zyarth, Tkr's Deprivation and Tharka's Sun. It doesn't really matter which one you start out in, they're all murder :D

The bounty hunter waves come too rapidly after another to be able to make this.

Just for a test, I gave myself a Fight Mk2 and that does even the odds out a TON, since those 6 PBEs will rip through an M5/M4 in less than a second, and even an M3 dies in a little over two seconds, but the accumulated damage just gets to you.

It's funny that Egosoft calls this "reasonably hard". I need to try one of those ridiculously hard ones. Starting in Xenon Core 023 with a TP sounds like fun :P

Creston

sgtstu

Post by sgtstu » Wed, 5. Nov 08, 19:49

ye im playing atm its great fun:) Family Zyarth flew east to Zyarths dominium managed to get to east gate again having never visited this rea ever before in a game, got through east gate into..unknown sector where theres absolutely nothing!! Im scared and alone and i aint going back in there!

JMCorp
x4

Post by JMCorp » Wed, 5. Nov 08, 20:36

sgtstu wrote:ye im playing atm its great fun:) Family Zyarth flew east to Zyarths dominium managed to get to east gate again having never visited this rea ever before in a game, got through east gate into..unknown sector where theres absolutely nothing!! Im scared and alone and i aint going back in there!
if you wait long enough yaki and pirates come in there. eventually you can cap one and get fight mk2 and maybe a jumpdrive. you might also consider making a run for the south gate of the next sector and try to make it across to grand exchange?

Reitema
x4

Post by Reitema » Mon, 17. Nov 08, 15:41

It was a challenge, but I found my way to a Pirate Base in Ginn's Escape (or some such) and having upgraded my speed and fight command software all became all that much easier... painfully so in fact, because
Spoiler
Show
if you kill all the spawn short of the bountyhunter M3 you can outrun the problem indefinately since there's no new spawn with the old one still more or less in tact
Hindsight is always 20/20 heh... still happy I did it the "old fashioned way".

Which brings me to the following, is the only thing unique about this quest the fact that you're hounded by the damn bounty hunters for ever? No quests, no nothing? Or do I have to consider my "grand escape" to be the only candy I'll get?

Later guys!

Return to “X Trilogy Universe”