[Question] Explorer Software

General discussions about the games by Egosoft including X-BTF, XT, X², X³: Reunion, X³: Terran Conflict and X³: Albion Prelude.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

reanor
x4

[Question] Explorer Software

Post by reanor » Tue, 21. Oct 08, 16:43

Game already has an Explorer software in it and I wanted to create a ship that would create satellite network for me. When I use the option - Develop Satellite Network it asks me to point at some station. My question is how this software exactly works? There is only one version of it and I was hoping to send some fast scout to establish satellite network for me, in other words visit each sector and if there is no satellite already in there drop one and in case if there is danger in the sector to drop danger beacon. I liked this script in Reunion but it seems that TC 'official' version is different. Can anyone advise?

Thanks.
“The dark and the light, they exist side by side." ... “It is often in the darkest skies that we see the brightest stars."

moggy2
x3ap

Post by moggy2 » Tue, 21. Oct 08, 17:36

it is actually the same script, more or less. It should work in exactly the same way.

reanor
x4

Post by reanor » Tue, 21. Oct 08, 17:43

Well, it is different. In Reunion Explorer script I had to equip the ship appropriately and then there was an option Under navigation - 'Start Exploration' or something like that.

This Explorer version under navigation only allows 'Explore Sector...' and 'Build Satellite network'. Explore the Sector allows the ship to explore only 1 sector.

if I use "Build Satellite network" it asks me to point to the space station I have no idea why. My ship has enough cargo space for at least a few satellites.

In Reunion script as soon as ship was equipped and i chose 'Start Exploration' ship would automatically start to roam the sectors and drop beacons. And if it ran out of beacons it would find the station where beacons were sold and continued to explore until it was destroyed. This script doesn't have this option to execute the script.

Still need advise.
Thanks.
“The dark and the light, they exist side by side." ... “It is often in the darkest skies that we see the brightest stars."

ACrazyGerman
x4

Post by ACrazyGerman » Tue, 21. Oct 08, 18:01

you use the arrows on the number pad to move the point where you want to drop the first sat, then the ship goes and drops a sat in every sector there isn't one, but he only detects his own sats so if your dropped your own in a few sectors he will place another there. He buys his own sats and from what I can tell he will only use the regular ones.

reanor
x4

Post by reanor » Tue, 21. Oct 08, 18:07

Ok thanks, I'll experiment some more.

homerdog
x3tc

Post by homerdog » Tue, 21. Oct 08, 19:05

ACrazyGerman wrote:you use the arrows on the number pad to move the point where you want to drop the first sat, then the ship goes and drops a sat in every sector there isn't one, but he only detects his own sats so if your dropped your own in a few sectors he will place another there. He buys his own sats and from what I can tell he will only use the regular ones.
So it won't do advanced sats?

Also, is there a way to tell it not to drop sats in sectors that already have them?

moggy2
x3ap

Post by moggy2 » Tue, 21. Oct 08, 19:45

It will use either NavSats or AdvSats depending on which is onboard the ship when you start the command. If the ship has both it'll ask you which to use.

It shouldn't place a satellite in sector if there's already a satellite, of either type, within 20km of the target position.
Unfortunately this bit isn't working. There seems to be a bug in detecting the other satellites. Hopefully that'll be fixed in the next patch.

homerdog
x3tc

Post by homerdog » Tue, 21. Oct 08, 21:58

moggy2 wrote:It will use either NavSats or AdvSats depending on which is onboard the ship when you start the command. If the ship has both it'll ask you which to use.
Excellent
moggy2 wrote:It shouldn't place a satellite in sector if there's already a satellite, of either type, within 20km of the target position.
Unfortunately this bit isn't working. There seems to be a bug in detecting the other satellites. Hopefully that'll be fixed in the next patch.
Doh! Back to manual placement :|

reanor
x4

Post by reanor » Tue, 21. Oct 08, 23:42

Oh no... Well, I used a cheat to open all sectors, what I want to do is to have a satellite network that I can check for enemy presence at any time in any sector not just default set up. Will help me to plan my operations.

S_Ha
x4

Post by S_Ha » Wed, 22. Oct 08, 00:41

Yeah my Disco has gone back and forth and placed 16 Satelites in Home of light and ore belt. :evil:

:Edit: Lol now it dropped 4 Satelites simultaneously in CBNW
Last edited by S_Ha on Wed, 22. Oct 08, 00:51, edited 1 time in total.

Gazz
x4

Post by Gazz » Wed, 22. Oct 08, 00:45

MARS (TC) has a working satellite deploy feature.

It won't do any traveling through sectors.
That's never been the main purpose of the script - this feature was meant for satellite deployment during a battle for extra intel.

Positioning and retrieval works, though. =)
My complete script download page. . . . . . I AM THE LAW!
There is no sense crying over every mistake. You just keep on trying till you run out of cake.

ThisIsHarsh
x3tc

Post by ThisIsHarsh » Wed, 22. Oct 08, 01:00

I mentioned in another thread the problem with Deploy Satellite Network is a trivial scripting error, so I would be surprised if it wasn't fixed in the next update.

To reiterate, the script checks if there is already a satellite in the sector using the satellite ware-type rather than ship-type - a simple issue to fix for anyone who knows how (which includes the devs, of course).

Carlo the Curious
x4

Post by Carlo the Curious » Wed, 22. Oct 08, 01:06

reanor wrote:Well, it is different. In Reunion Explorer script I had to equip the ship appropriately and then there was an option Under navigation - 'Start Exploration' or something like that.
That wasn't the same script as in the bonus pack, iirc.

mpcribeiro
x3tc

Post by mpcribeiro » Wed, 22. Oct 08, 08:40

Carlo the Curious wrote:
reanor wrote:Well, it is different. In Reunion Explorer script I had to equip the ship appropriately and then there was an option Under navigation - 'Start Exploration' or something like that.
Correct the other script that was not in bonus pack is more complete and more useful than currect one.

Explorer software should make a ship to go around find new gates, get local stations and fly through the new gates and drop AdvSats on their way... This is what is useful, now current script for player to order a ship/ships to fly through gates is pointless overhead micro-management and not practical.

This TC script should really be removed or replaced by a better one used on X3R.

Regards

mpcribeiro
x3tc

Post by mpcribeiro » Wed, 22. Oct 08, 08:45

mpcribeiro wrote:
Carlo the Curious wrote:
Correct the other script that was not in bonus pack is more complete and more useful than currect one.

Explorer software should make a ship to go around find new gates, get local stations and fly through the new gates and drop AdvSats on their way... This is what is useful, now current script for player to order a ship/ships to fly through gates is pointless overhead micro-management and not practical.

This TC script should really be removed or replaced by a better one used on X3R.

Regards
I do doubt that Ego will adopt the more usefull Explorer software and replace the existing one.

So to my eyes this post is valid to be under Script forum since are 2 distinct scripts. And I ask for script gurus to adapt the X3R usefull explorer software to replace the X3TC one.

Thanks

Coruskane
x4

Post by Coruskane » Wed, 22. Oct 08, 11:40

yes, seconded definitely. I miss my cherished network of a constellation of 8 adv sats, with the network maintained, and multiple explorer ships working together. It cost millions to set up, but it was a joy to play with once done (and gave an extra incentive to stop pirates and so on as even one pirate m5 could tear up half a sector of sats)

xalien
x4

Post by xalien » Wed, 22. Oct 08, 12:46

Another problem with explorer soft is that you can't order a ship to fly through orbital accelerators in terran space.

ZX9000
x3

Post by ZX9000 » Wed, 22. Oct 08, 16:01

Wasn't the Scan Asteroids in Sector-command (in X3:R) a function of the Explorer software as well? That was a really useful command too. Anyone know if it is ingame/if not does anyone know of a good mod to the same effect?

Return to “X Trilogy Universe”