NEWS: X³ 2.0: Bala Gi Research Missions

General discussions about the games by Egosoft including X-BTF, XT, X², X³: Reunion, X³: Terran Conflict and X³: Albion Prelude.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

Nanook
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Post by Nanook » Tue, 31. Oct 06, 03:34

Cycrow wrote:well, capture logic on large ships doesn't really make sense, y would they jump ship ?

doesn't make much sense really the pilot jumping out of a huge capital ship coz they've taken abit of damage, never heard of captain going don with thier ship ? ;)
Well, I must disagree with this logic. I believe that if a ship is in the game, and the player can fly it, it should be capturable, one way or another. There's nothing wrong with making it extremely hard, rare, etc., but it sure would spice up the game if we could capture some of the larger ships. After all, if you want to play a pure pirate, what other choices do you really have? Remember the rare captures of M6's in X2? It was a real thrill when you got one to turn blue, even if you didn't really need it. :D
Have a great idea for the current or a future game? You can post it in the [L3+] Ideas forum.

X4 is a journey, not a destination. Have fun on your travels.

Cycrow
Moderator (Script&Mod)
Moderator (Script&Mod)
x4

Post by Cycrow » Tue, 31. Oct 06, 06:45

well, another choise would be some other way to capture large ships, it just doesn't make sense that a pilot would eject from captial ship when you attack them.

also large ships most likly have other crews aboard, you jsut dont get to c them or manage them.

if it was to use the same system as fighters, then it would be possible for you to attack an M2 in ur M3 and force them to eject, doesn't really make alot of sense

jlehtone
x4

Post by jlehtone » Tue, 31. Oct 06, 06:53

Psirus wrote:Yes I've heard of the captain going down with the ship... but what about xenon, they are computer chips, can't we overload them or something?
K can be captured already. Rare and thrilling. I'm afraid that the hangars of J would be less than desirable, and the P is new. It probably runs different, failsafe OS. :wink:

To capture a big military ship ... is not the a job for lone peashooter. It could be a mission. You hire other Pirates to form an assault team. Don't the thrid-party scripts already offer that?

This thread has mentioned "previous record". When did the M6 and Khaak became capturable in X2? Was it in a feature-adding patch? What are we waiting in Q4? A feature-adding patch? But, as the investors say: previous record is no proof of future development. :roll:

jl1aisbett
x4

Post by jl1aisbett » Tue, 31. Oct 06, 09:02

'Nothing free is worth working for, and nothing worth working for is free'
I spend a damn lot of time writing freeware and thus feel inclined to disagree with you on that point.

Anywho I'm starting over once this patch comes, haven't touched X3 in quite some time and won't until this patch shows up but then I'm going nuts.

Black Gryphon
x4

Post by Black Gryphon » Tue, 31. Oct 06, 14:51

Psirus wrote:Yes I've heard of the captain going down with the ship... but what about xenon, they are computer chips, can't we overload them or something?
Just an item of information: The Captain going down with the ship has to do with maritime salvage, NOT with battle tactics. As I recall, any ship found abandonded on the open sea belonged to who ever found it. So the captain going down with the ship was just to make sure it was really sinking and not just taking on water.

Psirus
xr

Post by Psirus » Tue, 31. Oct 06, 16:47

thank you very much for clearing that up with us lol

Nanook
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Post by Nanook » Tue, 31. Oct 06, 21:57

Cycrow wrote:well, another choise would be some other way to capture large ships, it just doesn't make sense that a pilot would eject from captial ship when you attack them.

also large ships most likly have other crews aboard, you jsut dont get to c them or manage them.

if it was to use the same system as fighters, then it would be possible for you to attack an M2 in ur M3 and force them to eject, doesn't really make alot of sense
A lot of things in the X games don't 'make sense'. Does having to be within 8 km of a ship to comm it make sense, when you can order around your ships on the other side of the galaxy? Hardly. As for capturing large ships, why wouldn't they 'strike their colors' if their ship was about to be destroyed? It happened all the time in the Age of Sail. Maybe having it surrender only if the player had overwhelming firepower, such as a fleet of M3's, several M6's or just an M2, and sufficient combat reputation would be satisfactory. And if it would make you happier, Egosoft could have a whole horde of escape capsules (spacesuits) pop out when a ship surrenders. :P
Have a great idea for the current or a future game? You can post it in the [L3+] Ideas forum.

X4 is a journey, not a destination. Have fun on your travels.

The Rogue Trader
xr

Post by The Rogue Trader » Tue, 31. Oct 06, 22:06

I remember egosoft saying the same thing about X3 being released in the 4th quarter of 05, but it wasnt released until 1st quarter of 06. :? or was it 04/05 :?

TheElf
x3

Post by TheElf » Tue, 31. Oct 06, 22:09

A release should not be that far away. The bugs on the list get less and less each day. :)

Woundweaver
x3

Post by Woundweaver » Tue, 31. Oct 06, 23:11

Nice one Elf, THATS positive thinking, trouble is just how many bugs are there :? Just as long as we don`t get a patch thats full of them.....bit like the original game.....oops, prepare for massive flank assault by the rest of the community :oops: i`m going to hide now :roll:
There is no such thing as Black & White.
Everything is in various shades of Grey.

dragonsblade71uk
x3tc

Post by dragonsblade71uk » Tue, 31. Oct 06, 23:25

A lot of things in the X games don't 'make sense'. Does having to be within 8 km of a ship to comm it make sense, when you can order around your ships on the other side of the galaxy?
Well everything can have a ligitimate explaination. It could quite easily be a need for visual identification, before communication commences. i.e so they can see your not a pirate, or maybe of a faction not friendly.
It could also be that you need to transmit a sercurity code, which can only work in close proximity! (Imagination is a wonderful thing!!!!)
As for your own fleet, well you should know it`s yours!

Cycrow
Moderator (Script&Mod)
Moderator (Script&Mod)
x4

Post by Cycrow » Tue, 31. Oct 06, 23:33

The Rogue Trader wrote:I remember egosoft saying the same thing about X3 being released in the 4th quarter of 05, but it wasnt released until 1st quarter of 06. :? or was it 04/05 :?
actually it was released in october, which is the beginning of the 4th quater of 2005

bob hope
x3

Post by bob hope » Wed, 1. Nov 06, 00:21

dont forget it was also dependant on where you lived like most titles, so you both could be right.

Personally i only wanrt this as soon as possible so ddrs can update and get the new version out lol ........ not sure if ive said this already ....... sorry if i have lol
About the name - i was lost for a name on the forum and looking round, then a Bob Hope film came on, and i thought "that will do nicely"

i was born and raised argumentative i dont mean to offend ...... sorry

telemancer
x4

Post by telemancer » Wed, 1. Nov 06, 04:55

dragonsblade71uk wrote:
A lot of things in the X games don't 'make sense'. Does having to be within 8 km of a ship to comm it make sense, when you can order around your ships on the other side of the galaxy?
Well everything can have a ligitimate explaination. It could quite easily be a need for visual identification, before communication commences. i.e so they can see your not a pirate, or maybe of a faction not friendly.
It could also be that you need to transmit a sercurity code, which can only work in close proximity! (Imagination is a wonderful thing!!!!)
As for your own fleet, well you should know it`s yours!
If you really want to get technical with the imagination, you could say that all your ships are installed with quantum inseparability comm. devices. As a legal matter you are not aloud to access others’ QI devices, so a more traditional comm. system must be used. Go physics majors!!! :P

jlehtone
x4

Post by jlehtone » Wed, 1. Nov 06, 09:31

Psirus wrote:My main save game simply has DDS mod running, so I think I'm gonna keep that
It has been stated several times that saves from 1.4.03 will work with 2.0. But it is also obvious that some mods and scripts may be incompatible with 2.0. The third-party that has produced the mod has to check if 2.0 differs from 1.4.03 and if that difference breaks anything. That all makes sense.

But how about the Bonuspack? It is a third-party product. Therefore it requires a third-party check when 2.0 is out. Thus, in order to play safe with scripts, one does not wait for the 2.0. One waits for the compatibility report after the 2.0 is out.

Cycrow
Moderator (Script&Mod)
Moderator (Script&Mod)
x4

Post by Cycrow » Wed, 1. Nov 06, 12:56

scripts are generally compatable with new patches without any changes, its the mods that are not, coz they edit some files that might have been changed in the patch.

so the bonus pack should be fine with 2.0

jlehtone
x4

Post by jlehtone » Wed, 1. Nov 06, 14:09

Cycrow wrote:so the bonus pack should be fine with 2.0
Thought so. 8)

A patch may introduce new stations, wares, and ship classes. A good script will be as before, but a less good might fail to see the additions. That is not "breaking".

(A radical change of weapons and their stats would haunt the logic of a script like AEGIS, but AEGIS was for X2.)

A patch may add new scripting commands. That does not break a script either, but those new commands may allow novel or more efficient implementations. (The complex interface is an example of this?)

I think a German thread mentions that 2.0 will fix the "disappearing Tractor Beam Forge". Bonuspack includes a workaround script. That does not sound likely to break either, but ought to become redundant in the future.

Psirus
xr

Post by Psirus » Wed, 1. Nov 06, 14:19

Oh god.... remember capitol ships before AEGIS in X2, they were just about only good as flying targets.....

Skeeter
x3

Post by Skeeter » Wed, 1. Nov 06, 14:34

Enlight says the bala g addon is a campaign. So i wounder how many missions are in this new campaign. Hopefully 10+ would be nice to make it a proper full fledged campaign.
[ external image ]
7600x cpu 5.4ghz 32gb DDR5 5600mhz 6700XT 32" 1440p mon

NightPrince
x3ap

Post by NightPrince » Wed, 1. Nov 06, 15:01

Cycrow wrote:scripts are generally compatable with new patches without any changes, its the mods that are not, coz they edit some files that might have been changed in the patch.

so the bonus pack should be fine with 2.0
Well i thought that 2.0 would come with 3.1.04 included but from your post it seems i am not right am i?

Return to “X Trilogy Universe”