NEWS: Egosoft enters the age of Steam

General discussions about the games by Egosoft including X-BTF, XT, X², X³: Reunion, X³: Terran Conflict and X³: Albion Prelude.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

thenormalman
x2

Post by thenormalman » Wed, 2. Aug 06, 17:18

I don't see what the advantage of the game being completed and released in say March is over it being released in January and then patched properly in February tbh (this is only an example)
The grass is not greener on the other side; the grass is greener when you water it - J John

|UNL| Shadow Warrior
x3

Registering CD-Key with Steam

Post by |UNL| Shadow Warrior » Fri, 4. Aug 06, 03:33

I bought X3 and **X2 ages ago when they first came out, two questions,

1. Ive registered my X3 key on this forum, but who can i register my X2 key, is it one or the other. **(i got the X2 game free with my graphics card).

2. Is it possible to register said keys with steam in order to get X2-X3 on Steam in "My Games"?

|UNL| Shadow Warrior
x3

Post by |UNL| Shadow Warrior » Fri, 4. Aug 06, 03:34

1. Ive registered my X3 key on this forum, but who can i register my X2 key, is it one or the other. **(i got the X2 game free with my graphics card).

2. Is it possible to register said keys with steam in order to get X2-X3 on Steam in "My Games"?

|UNL| Shadow Warrior
x3

Post by |UNL| Shadow Warrior » Fri, 4. Aug 06, 03:34

2. Is it possible to register said keys with steam in order to get X2-X3 on Steam in "My Games"? :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil:

moggy2
x3ap

Post by moggy2 » Fri, 4. Aug 06, 04:00

1. you should be able to register both.
2. no.

3. it is possible to delete accidental multiple post by clicking the little x in the corner of your post before someone else replies, before a moderator or admin thinks you're spamming :)

random9q
x3

Post by random9q » Sat, 5. Aug 06, 22:58

morts wrote:That's a pain... Firstly since it'd be easier to manage patches with STEAM and secondly I don't have to have that fkin CD in the drive each time I play. PLUS I can install it wherever the hell I please, providing I log in with STEAM... Oh well...
Given the grief I gave EGOSOFT earlier in a public post concerning Starforce protection, and given that I un-installed X3 over that very issue, I'm personally putting my money where my mouth is and ponying up the $20 it'll take to re-register X3 as a STEAM product. $20 is a bit much to be paying a second time for a game. But $20 is cheap where responding positively to a change for the better is concerned. Even if the decision to go with STEAM had nothing to do with my - or anyone else's - public criticism of Starforce copy protection*. Even if that decision had nothing to do with any of our comments, it's still worth it to me to pony up the $20 to keep my end of the promise I'd made *during* the debate: offer X3 in a way that doesn't put my PC at risk, and I'll gladly return as a paying customer.

--random9q

*(I don't have anything against copy protection. I just have my gripes with poorly implemented schemes that hijack my system in unforseen ways. I like STEAM's scheme because it's robust AND it doesn't interfere with my system in any appreciable way.)

esd
x3tc

Post by esd » Sun, 6. Aug 06, 00:59

Yeah, let's keep this thread about Steam, not Starforce. Don't make me split and lock.
esd's Guides: X² Loops - X³ MORTs

shifty_powers

Post by shifty_powers » Sun, 6. Aug 06, 01:33

silentWitness wrote:Can't say I'm a fan of Steam... I don't like having to go online to play a single player game I own... Otherwise it's a great system...

As for copy protection... people should lighten up...
Well as an avid Day of Defeat and HL2 fan, i think you should know that most non mp games on steam can be played whilst steam is offline/not able to connect to the internet. I have no idea if they have implemented it with X3 but i see no reason why not...
"I believe that inherent within the God-given right to the pursuit of happiness, is the equally God-given right to the pursuit of unhappiness. That is why I support gay marriage", Chuck Lorre, 2008

random9q
x3

appologies

Post by random9q » Mon, 7. Aug 06, 02:41

esd: That was meant as a thank-you for re-publishing on STEAM, not to continue - let alone start - an argument. My appologies if it seemed otherwise.

esd
x3tc

Re: appologies

Post by esd » Mon, 7. Aug 06, 03:21

random9q wrote:esd: That was meant as a thank-you for re-publishing on STEAM, not to continue - let alone start - an argument. My appologies if it seemed otherwise.
It was understood, but arguments aren't what I'm trying to prevent. Whenever people discuss Starforce and we allow the thread to continue, people discuss piracy, link to warez, admit using/downloading warez, all of which are against the rules.
esd's Guides: X² Loops - X³ MORTs

random9q
x3

*sigh*

Post by random9q » Mon, 7. Aug 06, 11:26

esd:

I wish it were possible on the 'net to have a sane, civil discussion about such things (or anything, really) - at least on occasion. The conversational equivalents of throwing vitriol and Molotov cocktails get old and are a pretty unproductive way to resolve a simple dispute or grievance, let alone approach an issue with a hint of complexity. (And forum rules or no forum rules, announcing within a company's website that you've stolen their software and are going to help others steal it as well is absolutely an example of a conversational equivalent of throwing a Molotov cocktail: rude to the point of being incindiary.) There are certainly times when there will be need for such discussions, simply given the nature of the business, and those of us who proceed at a more thoughtful pace will starve for want of having them. The hot-heads and the rash will always be faster to post their "comments".

:lol: Dream for another day, I guess.

Meanwhile, again, many thanks to EGOSOFT for re-publishing on STEAM. I'm going to enjoy my nice new STEAM-ified copy of X3.

Cheers,
random9q

Return to “X Trilogy Universe”