NEWS: Egosoft enters the age of Steam

General discussions about the games by Egosoft including X-BTF, XT, X², X³: Reunion, X³: Terran Conflict and X³: Albion Prelude.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

jorjxmckie
x3tc

Post by jorjxmckie » Mon, 24. Jul 06, 21:28

CBJ wrote:For those of you with only the Steam version and therefore without a registration code, access restrictions to X³-related forums and downloads have been lifted. For downloads other than patches you will need a forum account; patches can be downloaded by anyone.
I have just purchased the game via Steam thus I do not have a code. However I would like to be able to download the manual. Can you please unlock the manual downloads as you have done with the patches.

Devistater
x3tc

Post by Devistater » Mon, 24. Jul 06, 21:30

jorjxmckie wrote:
CBJ wrote:For those of you with only the Steam version and therefore without a registration code, access restrictions to X³-related forums and downloads have been lifted. For downloads other than patches you will need a forum account; patches can be downloaded by anyone.
I have just purchased the game via Steam thus I do not have a code. However I would like to be able to download the manual. Can you please unlock the manual downloads as you have done with the patches.
From what someone said earlier in thread, you can get the manual through steam.

As well, I just attempted to download the manual on egosoft. It works fine (just need to be logged in). So try again :)
Last edited by Devistater on Mon, 24. Jul 06, 21:47, edited 2 times in total.

Player.
x3tc

Post by Player. » Mon, 24. Jul 06, 21:33

You can tell by the number of pages, the original outdated manual i something like 60 pages, and the new one is 100 and something :)
http://forum.egosoft.com/viewtopic.php?t=183585 - X2 The Threat High Definition Mod - You know you wanna :)

EsGi
x3

Post by EsGi » Mon, 24. Jul 06, 21:50

Huh, I thought it was 97 pages? :o Can't print out the manual anyway, shame I can't have it open on my second monitor while I play X3 :D

Devistater
x3tc

Post by Devistater » Mon, 24. Jul 06, 21:53

I d/led the manual from egosoft and from steam.
To get the manual on steam, right click the game in your steam games list.
They are both nearly identical (the last page of the manual says 1.4 on both and they are both 95+ pages long).
(not quite 100+ as the guy above said, but he was close)

Interestingly enough, the only differance is that the steam version is missing one page. The one on installing and registering your game, and it has the save game location (page 5 on egosoft manual). Which makes sense, 2 of those dont apply anymore. Of course that means the steam manual doesn't have save location, but its easy enough to find that out since its in my docs.

Stregone
x3tc

Post by Stregone » Tue, 25. Jul 06, 03:15

WOOHOO. I remember this game coming out. And I remember finding out it had starforce :evil: I Just bought it from Steam lastnight, the same day I found out it was on steam. :D

Tim Manchester
x4

Does the download version of X3 through Steam...

Post by Tim Manchester » Tue, 25. Jul 06, 03:17

...contain the Starforce protection system? I'd like to dl this game, but I won't if it has that malware on it.

Regards,

Tim

moggy2
x3ap

Post by moggy2 » Tue, 25. Jul 06, 03:20

no it doesn't, as has been said several times already today.

Pugjce

Post by Pugjce » Tue, 25. Jul 06, 07:07

So, something interesting:

I download my copy of X3 from Steam today, installed it, and recalled from a review that a patch from the egosoft would help smooth over some of the release crash issues. I was dumb and never thought that it would be the newest version; I cannot, for the life of me, say why.

Anyway, so I download the newest patch (from these forums, no less) and install it to its directory under steam. I go to start up the game: lo and behold, starforce pops up and says that I need to insert the game disc. Hilarious, I think, as Starforce is not supposed to be present. Get this--since the game is over steam, I have no cd to insert. To make matters worse, starforce, once removed, still manages to make my copy of the game unplayable.

So, I've since deleted the local content, started the install over steam again (31%--I am pulling around 300 kb on my cable) and am hoping for the best here. I assume that the starforce nonesense was installed with that patch--in which case, I'm wondering if it will be removed from further addition patch content? Does anyone realize that this is a problem for Steam owners of X3? Anyone have any advice should Starforce still be present after I re-install the game over steam?

Player.
x3tc

Post by Player. » Tue, 25. Jul 06, 07:18

Pugjce the steam version of X3 is alredy pathed up to the latest patch.

Remove the game completly, download it again and DONT patch it.

Starforce isnt supposed to be there and it was there beacuse you installed the patch
http://forum.egosoft.com/viewtopic.php?t=183585 - X2 The Threat High Definition Mod - You know you wanna :)

Pugjce

Post by Pugjce » Tue, 25. Jul 06, 07:55

That, as I stated in my last paragraph, is what I figured. I'm just curious why egosoft would offer access to the patches for the game for steam users when they just make the game unplayable with starforce? I get that it's most likely an oversight, I'm not really complaining here, just stating that maybe there should be some sort of notice in case other try to download offical content on a steam account and run into a similiar problem.

BurnIt!
EGOSOFT
EGOSOFT
x4

Post by BurnIt! » Tue, 25. Jul 06, 08:04

The patches are freely available to everyone - we can't block just steam users from downloading them.
How is the download page supposed to know that you have a steam version?
What if you have a steam version and a DVD version?

What we can do however, is to update the news posts, forum anouncements and download notes to include a warning for steam users to NOT download the patches as their version is already up to date.
BurnIt!
In der Ruhe liegt die Kraft. / In peace lies strength.

Pugjce

Post by Pugjce » Tue, 25. Jul 06, 08:55

Yes, yes, sorry, not to imply that it's really anyone's fault. Just suggesting a news bulliten or some such.

Devistater
x3tc

Post by Devistater » Tue, 25. Jul 06, 10:22

Pugjce wrote:Yes, yes, sorry, not to imply that it's really anyone's fault. Just suggesting a news bulliten or some such.
They did mention it. In the sticky thread with the 1.4.03a patch (they said not to install that patch on the steam version) in the technical forum (this is the only patch thats later than what the steam version comes with). Before you posted in this thread.
:)

But since a lot of people will be buying it through steam, maybe they should mention it on the patches in the download section too.

ZaldronTheSage
x4

Post by ZaldronTheSage » Tue, 25. Jul 06, 10:48

I just dled the game over steam about a day ago and never came across starforce at all...the game IS the latest version over steam and its ready to go after install and config. Im still learning all the neato schtuffs this awesome game has to offer.

As for the mod addon found in the extras in the download section....im not sure if you need to reg for the forum to be able to access the file or the fact that I prev purchased x2 and reg'ed it.. Anyone have a idea on this?
"Since, in the long run, every planetary civilization will be endangered by impacts from space, every surviving civilization is obliged to become spacefaring--not because of exploratory or romantic zeal, but for the most practical reason imaginable: staying alive... If our long-term survival is at stake, we have a basic responsibility to our species to venture to other worlds."
Carl Sagan, Pale Blue Dot, 1994

CBJ
EGOSOFT
EGOSOFT
x4

Post by CBJ » Tue, 25. Jul 06, 10:54

If you read the very first post in this thread you will see that it answers that question.

andrewas
x3tc

Post by andrewas » Tue, 25. Jul 06, 11:19

Right click on X3, properties, local files, verify game content. This does a checksum of all files and replaces any which have been altered, restoring your X3 installation to its original state far more quickly than downloading everything again. Or at least it should, Ive never actually run it on a game stored on the .ncf filesystem.

Tim Manchester
x4

Post by Tim Manchester » Wed, 26. Jul 06, 03:59

Heck, if it's still possible to end up with Starforce on my PC (even accidentally), I guess I'll have to pass. I've had to blow away and rebuild a system to get Starforce off it once, I'm not gonna do it again. I've read that there's another game or two in the genre coming down the pike anyway.

Regards,

Tim Manchester

[quote="Pugjce"]So, something interesting:

I download my copy of X3 from Steam today, installed it, and recalled from a review that a patch from the egosoft would help smooth over some of the release crash issues. I was dumb and never thought that it would be the newest version; I cannot, for the life of me, say why.

Anyway, so I download the newest patch (from these forums, no less) and install it to its directory under steam. I go to start up the game: lo and behold, starforce pops up and says that I need to insert the game disc. Hilarious, I think, as Starforce is not supposed to be present. Get this--since the game is over steam, I have no cd to insert. To make matters worse, starforce, once removed, still manages to make my copy of the game unplayable.

So, I've since deleted the local content, started the install over steam again (31%--I am pulling around 300 kb on my cable) and am hoping for the best here. I assume that the starforce nonesense was installed with that patch--in which case, I'm wondering if it will be removed from further addition patch content? Does anyone realize that this is a problem for Steam owners of X3? Anyone have any advice should Starforce still be present after I re-install the game over steam?[/quote]

Mopy
x3

Post by Mopy » Wed, 26. Jul 06, 04:04

Tim Manchester wrote:Heck, if it's still possible to end up with Starforce on my PC (even accidentally), I guess I'll have to pass. I've had to blow away and rebuild a system to get Starforce off it once, I'm not gonna do it again. I've read that there's another game or two in the genre coming down the pike anyway.

Regards,

Tim Manchester
It isn't. There's no Starforce on the steam version as said quite a few times
in the thread already. The only reason that user had the problem is because
he/she downloaded a patch for the DVD version from here.
Sig

BugMeister
x4

Post by BugMeister » Wed, 26. Jul 06, 04:11

I bet you're all chuffed about getting Steam, eh guys? :D
- the whole universe is running in BETA mode - we're working on it.. beep..!! :D :thumb_up:

Return to “X Trilogy Universe”