The Donts of the X Universe and other stupid mistakes.

General discussions about the games by Egosoft including X-BTF, XT, X², X³: Reunion, X³: Terran Conflict and X³: Albion Prelude.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

ezra-r
x4

Post by ezra-r » Thu, 30. Mar 06, 19:36

When in space suit about to capture a ship.. dont... dont bounce with the target ship.. (doh!)

thoggarth
x4

Post by thoggarth » Thu, 30. Mar 06, 20:53

Having set up a few wingmen I left them guarding a sector whilst I went exploring the far side of the universe. I regularly pressed . to call up the universe map. After a while went back home and wondered where everyone had gone - checked the messages and found that all my wingmen had died in some Xenon sector or other.

Moral is:

Don't accidentally press / and get your wingmen to come and protect you when you have a Xenon sector between you and them!

thoggarth
x4

Post by thoggarth » Thu, 30. Mar 06, 20:57

One from the plot, so Spoilers I am afraid (I hope I do this right!)
Spoiler
Show
In the mission where you fly through the asteroid, I had originally set my ship to "follow" my father. All well on the initial approach, and through the cut scenes. I then entered the asteroid and couldn't work out why my ship immediately flew straight into the wall!

Turn off the autopilot before trying to fly around in an asteroid!

Kinsley
x4

Post by Kinsley » Fri, 31. Mar 06, 05:02

How about this one: Remember to order your M6 turrets to attack something when you enter a Xenon sector. I forgot that once when playing X2. It took me some time before I could understand why nothing ever happened. All I could do was fly around dodging the Xenon bullets.

But that was probably not the most stupid thing I've done. I think this was: Don't forget to disarm your Nova turret before you approach a Pirate Base to do some trading...

No, wait, I think this is the most stupid thing I've done to date: Don't enter the same sector as a TS set up to collect ore/silicon... especially if you forgot to install decent shields on that TS. My Mercury was doing fine (in Ore Belt) for quite a while before I let it enter my scanner range. This happened *twice*. The first time it didn't have any shields at all... talk about hull eating roids :oops:

Sorry if any of these stories have been told before in this thread, but it's five A.M. here and I must go to work soon...

swoopinghawk
x3

Post by swoopinghawk » Fri, 31. Mar 06, 05:36

In the early hours of the morning with a low hanging head and eyes on auto pillock it doesn't matter how many times you com the ore mine, or how many times you try to auto dock, or even how many times you press docking comp that station is never going to allow your Elephant to dock with it. Getting into your Mamba R however will make a surprising difference :oops:

I was cursing that station for about 5 minutes, its mine why wont you b*****ds let me dock etc.

tazlik2fly
x3

Post by tazlik2fly » Fri, 31. Mar 06, 05:48

thinking a mamoth makes a damn good m1 to lead your fleet into battle
Mal: "And Kaylee, what the hell's goin' on in the engine room? Were there monkeys? Some terrifying space monkeys maybe got loose?"

Jayne: "You saved his gorram life, he still takes the cargo. Hwoon dahn."
Mal: "He had to.... Couldn't let us profit. Wouldn't be civilized."

Bugzor
x3

Post by Bugzor » Fri, 31. Mar 06, 05:58

Making your Dragon jump into the secotr right after you jumped into it in your Elephant... dumbass Dragon came in straight into the back of the Elephant and continued to ram until it killed itself. 3 hours of RL play wasted :/

ajsarge
x3tc

Post by ajsarge » Fri, 31. Mar 06, 07:02

X2, but...Don't try to jump through a gate directly after a titan has gone through. Ended up INSIDE the thing. problem is, I didn't have a docking comp. and I couldn't make it turn around so I could go through the gate again. I blew up quite promptly after that.

Hazara
x3

Post by Hazara » Fri, 31. Mar 06, 09:23

My 2 main tips (I'm sure I'll come up with more later)

1. Unless you're in combat or about to enter combat, never have missiles loaded. My 1 year old has figured out what key makes his daddy make lots of exciting noises and throw his keyboard around like a monkey.

2. When you're so drunk and recon you've had a great night, achieving lots:
2a: Don't overwrite your primary savegames.
2b: Write yourself a note about what you were doing.
Conroe 6400 2.13 @ 2.85, 2 x 512 6400 Dual Channel @ 812Mhz (1624 fsb)
x1950 Pro, Raptor RAID0 array for booting
700Gb storage, 560W Highpower, Logitech Extreme 3d Pro
Now I'm Laughing...Maniacally.

DAMN IT, I PUSHED YOU OUT THAT AIRLOCK 30 YEARS AGO.. WHY ARE YOU HAUNTING ME SUZIE!

Black Gryphon
x4

Post by Black Gryphon » Fri, 31. Mar 06, 13:16

Don't forget to close your cargo bay before engaging the new set of pirates.

Don't zig infront of the hammerhead you just fired... :D

Texas
x3

Post by Texas » Fri, 31. Mar 06, 14:41

Never get into yourspace suit without looking around.

I did this and I knew there were no enemys around. Headed for an unclaimed ship in the middle of Home of light, [My ship was about 500m away,] I got half way there before an Argon Destroyer, whilst doing pinpoint manouvers between the ships, decided I'd look good as a new paint job.

Since then I always get within 100m before ejecting or visually confirm NO ships are within 4km!
Professionals are predictable.
It's the amateurs that are dangerous!

Infinitesima

Post by Infinitesima » Fri, 31. Mar 06, 15:31

Don't get too close to the ship you're about to cap. I got about 10m away and the ejector seat promptly splattered me across it's hull.

Never try to shoot down an incoming Hammerhead missile with your M3. It's blast radius is biggert than your weapons range.....

fud
x3

Post by fud » Fri, 31. Mar 06, 16:09

Bugzor wrote:Making your Dragon jump into the secotr right after you jumped into it in your Elephant... dumbass Dragon came in straight into the back of the Elephant and continued to ram until it killed itself. 3 hours of RL play wasted :/

"playing for 3 hours without saving" :P

Sorry mate, couldn't resist.
Hazara wrote:
2. When you're so drunk and recon you've had a great night, achieving lots:
2a: Don't overwrite your primary savegames.
2b: Write yourself a note about what you were doing.
Been there, done that.

2c: Don't get home at 3:30am after a night on the piss, and fire the game up. Trying to hit the docking bay of an argon trading station in a harrier at 480m/s is fairly futile. Which takes me to:

2d: Don't try to dock your Elephant in a trading station.

Firesky1
x3

Post by Firesky1 » Fri, 31. Mar 06, 17:14

Not that I ever did this! :oops:
Set up your merc's to Best buy, Best Sell Ware's at your Factory. then notice an hour later your factory is still flashing. and your merc's are 15 sector's away...someone didn't change the default 15 jump's to 2 or 3.
Consider gain and loss, But never be greedy
and everything will be all right

Every Person is the creation of himself, The
image of his own thinking and believing

apogee
x3tc

Post by apogee » Fri, 31. Mar 06, 17:34

If you ever get the following thought whilst playing

"I wonder what would happen if........"

Just remember to save beforehand!

Also, dont, when very very tired, confuse the boost button with the all stop button.

fud
x3

Post by fud » Fri, 31. Mar 06, 18:14

Yep. Like flying an M5 between 4 J's in close proximity. The sheer volume of snowballs flying around is quite a sight to see (for the 1.2 seconds you're alive to see it).

Chemical-mix
x3tc

Post by Chemical-mix » Fri, 31. Mar 06, 18:59

And, always, always, always, disarm those shockwave generators if entering a friendly system. I hired a mamoth, but accidently hit it with my PSG when attacking pirates.

Now the captain wont talk to me and i cant "un-hire" him, but he wont help me either. So i guess i'll have to kill him!!!
"I came, I saw, I crumbled"

Asmayus
x3

Post by Asmayus » Fri, 31. Mar 06, 22:32

When capping a ship make sure you've remembered to actually eject from the ship you're flying :lol:

Once (and only once) tried to capp a Falcon in a system off Split Fire. Don't ask me how I managed it, but I forgot to eject. I clicked on the target and started inching my 'spacesuit' (as I thought) towards the falcon.

50m.... no 'claim' command.

40m.... still no 'claim' command.

30m.... Maybe the game's bugged???

20m.... why can't I claim the bloody thing?!?!?!?

10m.... this is weird. Where is the bloody claim command???

under about 2m: Oh crap!!!! I'm still in my Buster!!!!! Eject damnit!!!

After I ejected, I had to clap myself on the back for sheer stupidity and congratulations. How many people here have managed to fly a Buster to within 1m of a Falcon and eject without splattering yourself across its hull???

Have a cool screenshot too (:

Anything else remarkebly thick??? Besides thinking that my Discoverer with it's 3 1mj shields, 4 BIRE's, and newly upgarded steering, speed, etc, could take on a Pirate Nova, a Falcon, and 2 Harriers, nope.

I did get some handy information about a Nova's rear turret with a HEPT, though: 4 hits = dead Discoverer :lol:

Firesky1
x3

Post by Firesky1 » Fri, 31. Mar 06, 23:33

You just start the game..going around and exploring, you jump thru a gate and are now in someplace called Ringo Moon. :? .There's something Red there! hey it's a Pirate! :o you close in and start blasting away! he's yelling something but your to into the battle to pay attention..all the sudden ship turns Blue and stops? Jeez, this is like shooting fish in a barrel. :shock: as you close in and blast it to kingdom come...Betty yelling your ship in ringo moon is under attack..you read your messages to learn YOUR pirate harrier is destroyed! :oops:
Consider gain and loss, But never be greedy
and everything will be all right

Every Person is the creation of himself, The
image of his own thinking and believing

kmiller1610
x3tc

Post by kmiller1610 » Sat, 1. Apr 06, 01:24

Never assume that the scale in each sector is the same.

After battling in Xenon sector 597 with multiple M2s and getting the timing for when to warp one of my wingmen out of the sector, I switched to Xenon 472 and guess what? That sector is reeeeal tinyyy.

The xenon has the ball. He shoots. He scores. One of my titans blows up!

But but but .... that Xenon K was at leat a half inch away? How did he????

Scale man ... Don't forget the SCALE !!!

Return to “X Trilogy Universe”