The Donts of the X Universe and other stupid mistakes.

General discussions about the games by Egosoft including X-BTF, XT, X², X³: Reunion, X³: Terran Conflict and X³: Albion Prelude.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

membreya

Post by membreya » Thu, 30. Mar 06, 10:19

Nova_Cain820 wrote:How about don't ask for coms to dock when you are about 900 meters away from the station runing at 190 or up. ...hmm my Z button isn't working ..whoa whoa whoa whoa! Damn you and your long replies Automatic Intra-waction system
Press enter or fire ;) It makes the menu selection come up quicker ;) That or you can just press u ...that automatically lands you..

EVEN BETTER !!! Buy a docking computer and press d within 5km of the dock and you can land immediately ;)

nirwin
x3tc

Post by nirwin » Thu, 30. Mar 06, 10:23

Obey the proper gate usage procedures!

Lights moving in your direction mean traffic inbound, lights moving away from you mean you are clear to jump.
Fighter craft must traverse the gate at its edge, the center is for capital ships.

Flying at the centre of a gate in a buster, with the lights indicating incoming traffic is likely to end in a rather small dent in a Teladi Pheonix, a slight bit more space debris, and one dead rookie pilot.
Nirwin
------
Sector Takeover | Unlimited Resources (x2/x3)

membreya

Post by membreya » Thu, 30. Mar 06, 10:27

nirwin wrote:Obey the proper gate usage procedures!

Lights moving in your direction mean traffic inbound, lights moving away from you mean you are clear to jump.
Fighter craft must traverse the gate at its edge, the center is for capital ships.

Flying at the centre of a gate in a buster, with the lights indicating incoming traffic is likely to end in a rather small dent in a Teladi Pheonix, a slight bit more space debris, and one dead rookie pilot.
Dude I so didn't know that!! ;) I've only just started taking notice of the lights...but I'm usually in SETA so by the time I get there something else has usually jumped in :(

JulianG
x3

Post by JulianG » Thu, 30. Mar 06, 10:35

The lights are there for a reason??? I thought it was just there for decoration :)

You learn something new everyday...

Coldfire_Xero
x3tc

Post by Coldfire_Xero » Thu, 30. Mar 06, 10:37

Don't fly a freighter and think your flying the milenium falcon,

don't think cuase your in a M3 that you are LUke Skywalker

don't be surprised if you die why flying a M5

don't tkae a M5 to a fight with a M6 and complain when it takes forever to destroy

daon't take on a assassination mission in be surprised when you go up against a M2
No power in the 'verse can stop me...

tikanderoga
x4

Post by tikanderoga » Thu, 30. Mar 06, 11:01

I got some other DONT's...

Don't hit the Booster when just undocked with an Orca from an ED or a Shipyard - they might get grumpy trying to slice the installation in 2 with your fin.

Don't stop after you passed a gate with a big ship (Orca) - the small ships behind you won't brake but will blame you if your fat ass is responsible for their death - same for the ships wanting to pass the gate.

Don't fire a Firestorm torp if your Nova is only 2.5 km from the target..

Don't go for a spacewalk if even one enemy is round, even if he's in dogfight with anonther one - he might win and test your spacesuit for laserbolt-resistance. :roll:
If you got a monopoly on an operating system, and you make tons of money by supporting it, why fix it?

Voyyce
x3tc

Post by Voyyce » Thu, 30. Mar 06, 12:08

After ejecting from your ship do NOT doubleclick to target the ship you want to capture/enter^^

djgoatboy
x3

Post by djgoatboy » Thu, 30. Mar 06, 12:37

Copuple of classic don'ts i've been gulty of commiting:

1: Coming out of a gate and immediately ordering my ship to dock at a station: One swidt 90 degree turn and BOOM - My ship flied itself straight into the damn gate!

2: Forgetting to turn on autopilot and instead simply flying across space while reading your "Property" page - Asteroids are pretty bloody solid and will hurt whether you're paying attention to them or not! lol

3: (My favourite for comedy factor, if not at the time...) You cap a ship, it's a VERY fast Teladi Harrier and you get all excitied (Top speed 515+ - High speed weapons dealing/sector scouting here i come!) You get close, you hop out of your ship, you close in and claim it. All sounding good? Yeah, then what you do is order your ship to dock at the nearby shipyard to knock out some dents - And the bloody thing runs you over and kills you!!!!! lol

Apparently i was in the way! lol :D
"Thank you. When the world is mine your death shall be quick and painless!"

RichLondoner
x3

Post by RichLondoner » Thu, 30. Mar 06, 13:50

Don't just sit there for a few minutes at zero speed after going through a gate changing factory paramaters as there is traffic behind you and usually rusults in a death or two...

I've actually done that one about three times now...

Don't press SHIFT + Q and automatically hit ENTER thinking it's SHIFT + E to get out and claim a ship...

Only done that once...

Rich
I need a new computer, because:

Asus A8N SLI Delux, AMD Athlon 64 X2 4600+, 4gb DDR400 RAM, Leadtek 256mb GeForce 7800GTX, Matrox DiamondMax 10 300gb, Creative X-Fi with 7.1 T7900 speakers, Sony DW-Q28A DVD Writer & Sony DDU1613 DVD Rom

rizzo420
x3

Post by rizzo420 » Thu, 30. Mar 06, 16:21

The ones that got me were the time savers:

Don't NOT use the docking computer...it saves so much time and can save your profit margins in the early game.

Don't bother asking for permission to land at every station. I must have wasted hours with the comms before I figured out you could just dock.
Split Say AAAAAAAAA!!!

Cargo bay now contains: Elephant.

bladesofdeath
x3

Post by bladesofdeath » Thu, 30. Mar 06, 16:43

Do not fly around like a manic after ejecting to claim a ship.

I've flown into the side of my own once, and that 75MW shields vs. a astronought suit

= a big mess and a whole in the wall from where i punched it in anger
i might post a photo of it one day....

fud
x3

Post by fud » Thu, 30. Mar 06, 16:55

JulianG wrote:The lights are there for a reason??? I thought it was just there for decoration :)

Amen. That's very useful info. :)

Heh, I remember the very first game I played, buying my first TL (Mammoth), I went to the north gate in A Prime, knowing the above info now, it makes sense. The lights were strobing out, towards me, I went at the center of the gate. You should hear the [crunch] it makes when two Mammoths smack head on in a gate.

I've also greased quite a few M4/M5s in the gates with a TS.

nirwin
x3tc

Post by nirwin » Thu, 30. Mar 06, 17:07

fud wrote:
JulianG wrote:The lights are there for a reason??? I thought it was just there for decoration :)

Amen. That's very useful info. :)

Heh, I remember the very first game I played, buying my first TL (Mammoth), I went to the north gate in A Prime, knowing the above info now, it makes sense. The lights were strobing out, towards me, I went at the center of the gate. You should hear the [crunch] it makes when two Mammoths smack head on in a gate.

I've also greased quite a few M4/M5s in the gates with a TS.
Lol, ouch!!! Don't feel too bad, I saw the AI crash two Mammoths into eachother in a gate once. Loud bang made me jump looked behind and saw the carnage.

I only learnt the rules of the jumpgate cos I used to target them and Shift-d, and whilst waiting I'd see the lights, wonder what they meant, and then one day after I'd learnt to just fly through them, it just clicked, well you kinda have a moment of clarity when you are suddenly staring at the business end of a pheonix less than 100m away. :D
Nirwin
------
Sector Takeover | Unlimited Resources (x2/x3)

mjobling
x3

Post by mjobling » Thu, 30. Mar 06, 17:12

Don't do the following, as I did when I first started the game:

After the first couple of plot missions you are nonchalantly following the rookies you have been flying with and they fly in to the hangar of Argon One to dock.

You casually follow them inside and wonder why you aren't docking. Hmm... you think and turn around to fly out again, only to discover that the gate has closed over the hangar entrance.

The Argon One then starts moving and you find yourself trapped inside the ship model, able freely to fly around within there, but singularly unable to leave its bounds.

On the plus side, I felt quite safe in my Buster with the Argon One's armour and shields around me. On the negative side, my scope for exploration, trading and killing was seriously curtailed.

plawolf
x3tc

Post by plawolf » Thu, 30. Mar 06, 18:59

Don't:

- Try to save a few seconds in claiming a bailed TS by ejecting out in front of it before it has fully stopped. Remember the first time I got a TS to bail, thought it would stop dead straight away like a fighter, and I was only 100m in front of it. So I ejected immediately and went towards it head on. Got to claiming range, stopped and opened the menues to claim. Suddenly realised that the damn thing was moving towards me, frantically hit 'del' and just managed to get an unobstructed view of the nose of the caiman impacting the nose of my virtual-self. pffff.

- Try firing hornets, thunderbolts or the likes when you are being peppered with incoming fire, especially not if you happen to be flying a mamba raider.

- Even think about using your wingmen to store missiles with, especially not hammerheads.

- Set your wingmen to 'attack my target', arm them with only MDs and then fly close on the tail of a target. Especially when you are flying a yaki M5.

- Firing two hornets in too quick succession - they can actually hit each other on the way out!

- Try to pick up firestorm torps flying at 200k when your cargo hold is in fact full.

- Re-map the keys so that the 'open cargo hold' key is placed too close to the strafe keys.

Thinks thats about all the public humilation I can handle for one day. :)

ezra-r
x4

Post by ezra-r » Thu, 30. Mar 06, 19:36

When in space suit about to capture a ship.. dont... dont bounce with the target ship.. (doh!)

thoggarth
x4

Post by thoggarth » Thu, 30. Mar 06, 20:53

Having set up a few wingmen I left them guarding a sector whilst I went exploring the far side of the universe. I regularly pressed . to call up the universe map. After a while went back home and wondered where everyone had gone - checked the messages and found that all my wingmen had died in some Xenon sector or other.

Moral is:

Don't accidentally press / and get your wingmen to come and protect you when you have a Xenon sector between you and them!

thoggarth
x4

Post by thoggarth » Thu, 30. Mar 06, 20:57

One from the plot, so Spoilers I am afraid (I hope I do this right!)
Spoiler
Show
In the mission where you fly through the asteroid, I had originally set my ship to "follow" my father. All well on the initial approach, and through the cut scenes. I then entered the asteroid and couldn't work out why my ship immediately flew straight into the wall!

Turn off the autopilot before trying to fly around in an asteroid!

Kinsley
x4

Post by Kinsley » Fri, 31. Mar 06, 05:02

How about this one: Remember to order your M6 turrets to attack something when you enter a Xenon sector. I forgot that once when playing X2. It took me some time before I could understand why nothing ever happened. All I could do was fly around dodging the Xenon bullets.

But that was probably not the most stupid thing I've done. I think this was: Don't forget to disarm your Nova turret before you approach a Pirate Base to do some trading...

No, wait, I think this is the most stupid thing I've done to date: Don't enter the same sector as a TS set up to collect ore/silicon... especially if you forgot to install decent shields on that TS. My Mercury was doing fine (in Ore Belt) for quite a while before I let it enter my scanner range. This happened *twice*. The first time it didn't have any shields at all... talk about hull eating roids :oops:

Sorry if any of these stories have been told before in this thread, but it's five A.M. here and I must go to work soon...

swoopinghawk
x3

Post by swoopinghawk » Fri, 31. Mar 06, 05:36

In the early hours of the morning with a low hanging head and eyes on auto pillock it doesn't matter how many times you com the ore mine, or how many times you try to auto dock, or even how many times you press docking comp that station is never going to allow your Elephant to dock with it. Getting into your Mamba R however will make a surprising difference :oops:

I was cursing that station for about 5 minutes, its mine why wont you b*****ds let me dock etc.

Return to “X Trilogy Universe”