CPU intensive game - need dual core support?

General discussions about the games by Egosoft including X-BTF, XT, X², X³: Reunion, X³: Terran Conflict and X³: Albion Prelude.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

Zakalwe
x3tc

Post by Zakalwe » Sat, 19. Aug 06, 10:43

@Cycrow, i was speaking of OOS update and it's about 3 per second when looking at OOS ship positions, shields, etc
Zepto Nox A15 - P8400, 4GB 800MHz DDR2, Nvidia 9650GT 512MB DDR3, WSXGA, 200GB SATA 7200rpm, Blu-ray, Vista Business UK 64-bit

andrewas
x3tc

Re: i dont think they should

Post by andrewas » Sat, 19. Aug 06, 11:25

Martin Logan wrote:the way i see it that transferring data between two cpus would require some power as well i think it would be better to improve one cpu then simply putting two slower cpus together of course its just my opnion but i think transferring data between two cpus just takes too much power away in the first place
The thing is, we have reached the stage where we cannot improve a single CPU anymore, not without a radical improvement in technology. But we can add cores to existing chips. Intel are talking about 32 cores in one CPU in the next ten years. In fact, in the near future we are going to be seeing less powerful cores, not more powerful. The time to design a core rises geometricaly with its complexity, so by working with large numbers of simpler cores they will be able to design new CPUs much more rapidly. While you are correct in that there is some overhead in running a program on multiple cores, once we have efficient hardware designs and once developers have learned to code multithreaded applications quickly, we will see massive gains in overall performance.

Kindred Spirit
x4

Re:

Post by Kindred Spirit » Mon, 7. Jan 19, 09:33

Kindred Spirit wrote:
Thu, 12. Jan 06, 05:29
Hopefully SMP/multicore support will be considered when they do X4 :)

SMP forever! Dual-core SMP even :)

KS
And so they did :)

AleksMain
x3tc

Re: CPU intensive game - need dual core support?

Post by AleksMain » Mon, 7. Jan 19, 11:03

Good thing, that X3 is not "upgraded" as X4.

I can't play X4 and could not play any "upgraded" to X4 version of X3 either.

Alan Phipps
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Re: CPU intensive game - need dual core support?

Post by Alan Phipps » Mon, 7. Jan 19, 13:13

I don't think we need a 12 year old thread reopened for no apparent reason. <click>
A dog has a master; a cat has domestic staff.

Return to “X Trilogy Universe”