Forget Khaak and Xenon, the wife is the biggest threat to my Empire

General discussions about the games by Egosoft including X-BTF, XT, X², X³: Reunion, X³: Terran Conflict and X³: Albion Prelude.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

bvschipper
x3tc

A Few Suggestions

Post by bvschipper » Mon, 9. Jan 06, 22:14

Having read these posts, I find it entirely amusing that so many gamers have to balance X3 and their significant other. I, too, have a fiance and an inclination to game. My suggestions for occupying your special someone:

1.) If she enjoys music, definately look to satellite radio and/or iTunes. My fiance listens to both. When she is not shopping for that "must have" new song she heard on XM, she is dancing, running or biking to her iPod.

2.) If she has shown any interest in gaming, I highly recommend introducing her to World of Warcraft. Something about playing a Night Elf and finding matching armor occupies her for hours. The social aspect also is reinforcing (e.g., a lot of people play computer games). The Sims 2 is good for those women that still want to play with dolls--albeit ones that soil themselves. Other then those games, I have had no results with strategy, shooters, or simulations.

It is my personal belief that women are less inclined to have the fine motor skills and hand-eye coordination to initially enjoy gaming. Building those skills through easy-to-learn games surely will ameliorate the anxiety (and associated displeasure) women have towards gaming.

Regards,
Brad

tanaka_k
x3

Post by tanaka_k » Tue, 10. Jan 06, 00:22

well university starts again for me next week. forget empire building. might have a few hours to play every weekend. or i could just SETA during the week and spend during the weekend :roll:

Nanook
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Post by Nanook » Tue, 10. Jan 06, 00:29

apricotslice wrote:Try to get her to develop her own interests that take her out of the house for an entire and very late evening. Especially interests where you will not be welcome at.
Ah, you mean like a boyfriend. :P :lol:

Gamers should only marry gamers, IMHO. :lol: :lol:

My wife plays Morrowind, Runescape, and others like that. She actually started out on Doom and Doom II many years ago. :D
Have a great idea for the current or a future game? You can post it in the [L3+] Ideas forum.

X4 is a journey, not a destination. Have fun on your travels.

Wolfehunter
x3tc

Post by Wolfehunter » Tue, 10. Jan 06, 01:25

:twisted: I bought my wife 2 laptops one for her sims and the other for her websites / chats / blogs etc. So I barely hear her. heheeheheheh ahahahahhaha. Oops. I hope she isn't reading this.

Hi hunnie :D Is it bed time already? :roll:

Khardur
x3

Post by Khardur » Tue, 10. Jan 06, 01:37

Oh, funny thread...

I work nights, so I play x3 when I get home in the morning @ 5:45am, game time depends on when my son wakes up and wants to play/eat breakfast. I can throw a load of laundry in, do dishes real quick while I let the computer boot up.

My wife doesn't mind me playing games, I just got her re-addicted to The Sims 2, along with numerous card games. My 1.5 yr old son knows where the joystick USB plug goes in the computer *sniffle* I'm so proud. :D
1024x768 all on high/AA/AF on. Woot!

Kurios Kronou
x3

Post by Kurios Kronou » Tue, 10. Jan 06, 02:50

A couple of years ago, my wife and I did a weekend course on the Myers-Briggs Personality Type Indicator (MBTI) - a well researched and documented personality typing system based around Jungian psychology theory.

In doing this, we discovered that she was 'extrovert' and I was 'introvert'. Now, we each have ideas of what these terms mean, but Jungian theory is quite strict on its definitions. Basically, Extroverts are 'charged up' by being with people - they need to be with people in order to be alone. Introverts, on the other hand, are drained by people, but strengthened by solitude - they need to be alone in order to be with people. The ratios, while differing for each individual, is roughly 2:1 - so for every hour I spend with people, I need two to recuperate my strength (or I get really, really grumpy).

Now, once we understood how each of us ticked, we could build this time into our relationship. I know she needs time to interact, so I give that time. She, however, also knows I need time to be alone - so she does not resent me the time, even if I am gaming (she will sometimes play Solitaire (!?) just to sit with me while I'm blasting Kha'ak!).

Now, here's the only problem. Both my son's and I are all Introverts, so we have to be really sensitive at weekends and holidays not to bog off onto our computers and play all day without eating or washing. And this can really be a problem if we play multiplayer 'Age of Empires'....and we have tried to get 'Mum' interested in this....but to no avail. Even RPGing the kids in HalfLife provides her with little satisfaction - I guess we need to learn to play 'Hearts'!

Anyway, the solution to all these problems is (in my view) book on a MBTI course and use science (or at least psychology) to justify your antisocial habits! That way, you can get away with (almost) anything!

Twelvefield
x3

Post by Twelvefield » Tue, 10. Jan 06, 03:56

As part of pre-marital couselling, Mrs. Twelvefield & I also did the M-B Personality Inventory. Pretty much any couple with withs and/or brains should try this. You will learn a lot about each other, even us, who had been dating steadily for 8 years and engaged for 2 previous to the counselling.

G Morgan
x3

Post by G Morgan » Tue, 10. Jan 06, 04:10

Twelvefield wrote:As part of pre-marital couselling, Mrs. Twelvefield & I also did the M-B Personality Inventory. Pretty much any couple with withs and/or brains should try this. You will learn a lot about each other, even us, who had been dating steadily for 8 years and engaged for 2 previous to the counselling.
Assuming these people understand enough about the human mind which is one of the most complex systems we know of. It's interesting Physics (which is the most accurate of the sciences) describes every theory as a model and makes great efforts to detail all the flaws and errors that are potentially in a set of data.

Whereas the science of the brain and mind is the most complex and least understood field there is yet people put a whole lot of faith in consulars and shrinks. I'm sure some people get benefits from these things but generally I prefer self counseling and in any relationship of any kind I'm always frank and will voice a problem and insist on getting to the bottom of others problems as well.

Twelvefield
x3

Post by Twelvefield » Tue, 10. Jan 06, 04:21

The thing about the MB Personality Inventory isn't so much that the counsellor knows everything there is to know about the brain, in fact, it
's rather the opposite. The purpose of a personality inventory is to provide a sort of starting vocabulary for understanding how our personality works. It's a lot like pointing to a ripe apple and saying "That's red.". On it's own, MB won't solve enything because it isn't designed to "understand" the workings of the brain. It more or less allows you to identify with common words the main strokes of your personality.

As anyone who is in a relationship knows, coming to an understanding in simple, clear, vocabulary of what the other person is thinking, and what their motivations are, is pure gold. I'm sure there's other ways of doing it, including self-analysis, but for a quick, concise, easy-to-use program, it's hard to beat Myers-Briggs: it's been around for a long time, the data is extremely robust, and the results are repeatable.

lokiel
x3

Post by lokiel » Tue, 10. Jan 06, 08:26

Surely when "The Missus" starts nagging you can employ "The Amorous" strategy:

1. Indicate that her nagging is making you randy as all hell.

2. If she feigns a headache she'll back off, leaving you free to play X3. :D

3. If she responds favourably to your advances then what the hell are you still playing video games for? :twisted:

4. If none of the above, ditch her 'cos she's just a BITCH!

ie. It's a win-win situation, you can't lose.
"loose"=>unsecured, to release
"lose"=>to be beaten, to misplace
"looser"=>not as secure
"loser"=>one who has been beaten, one who has misplaced something

GET IT RIGHT!!! (especially X3TC's Manual Pg 26)

andysonofbob
x3

Re: A Few Suggestions

Post by andysonofbob » Tue, 10. Jan 06, 08:42

bschipp wrote:Something about playing a Night Elf and finding matching armor occupies her for hours.

Regards,
Brad

HA HA HA HA HA HA HA I loved that!

My misses cant handle the mouse / keyboard combos needed for such games and gets frustrated by trying to battle with the controls - sigh

foxd0nut
x3tc

Post by foxd0nut » Tue, 10. Jan 06, 10:35

Ah man, you guys have it pretty lucky.

I would (half gladly) give up X3 for a girlfriend. I only wish I had the skill to get one. :cry: Damn. Then again, getting a girlfriend can't be nearly as difficult as gaining the race rep needed to buy a freaking Paranid Zeus. :evil:

Kurios Kronou
x3

Post by Kurios Kronou » Tue, 10. Jan 06, 11:44

camp3r wrote:Ah man, you guys have it pretty lucky.

I would (half gladly) give up X3 for a girlfriend. I only wish I had the skill to get one. :cry: Damn. Then again, getting a girlfriend can't be nearly as difficult as gaining the race rep needed to buy a freaking Paranid Zeus. :evil:
I am sure that a Meyers-Briggs course could help you there too!

As Twelvefield pointed out, it does not give you a solution but gives you a vocabulary to use - then at least you can appear understanding and empathetic!

BTW, what's the bets that if G Morgan did the test the result would be Extorverted Sensate Thinking Judging (ESTJ for short)...!?

[G Morgan, please Google the result and check it out if you feel offended, that is not my intention :wink: ]

big biff
x2

Post by big biff » Tue, 10. Jan 06, 12:59

:arrow: :cry: do you also suffer from can i have a brew syndrumn as well. i have cosidered pluging the kettle into my u.s.b port AS I AM ALWAYS BEING PESTERED TO MAKE THE DRINKS!!!!!!
BAD DOG, GET DOWN..

andysonofbob
x3

Post by andysonofbob » Tue, 10. Jan 06, 13:59

Kurios Kronou wrote:

As Twelvefield pointed out, it does not give you a solution but gives you a vocabulary to use - then at least you can appear understanding and empathetic!

BTW, what's the bets that if G Morgan did the test the result would be Extorverted Sensate Thinking Judging (ESTJ for short)...!?

[G Morgan, please Google the result and check it out if you feel offended, that is not my intention :wink: ]
NO!!

Any form of classification beyond the obvious troubles me greatly. It implies that the author has studied each of their characteristics and sees them in that % of the population.

example

1 - Say we have 10 main classes with a further 10 subdivisions

thats 100 different people. Your telling me that with the diversity of folk there are only 100 different types of people

2 - say we now have 10000 different potential classes of people.

Your telling me the good 'doctor' will have the ability to sample enough of each trait to define each with confidence?

3 - Some where in the middle say 5000

meh, the amount of different traits its getting close to being palatable... but i am not sure the 'doctor' would have had enough of a sample base to be able to classify each with confidence. I would like to see a curve, with R2 detailed so i can imagine the scatter.

Each of the above are equally risible if you ask me.

I take G Morgans point about the physics of the brain very seriously. When i studied philosphy we covered the ID, obviously the brain was discussed in much detail. If i remember rightly some of the neuron pathways are so tiny that the sometimes queer quantum rules start to apply. I thought neurons where quite an important part of our thought processes and if quantum THEORY is still being debated by out brightest sparks I dont see what hope love doctors have

To be honest if you want to score with the ladies and vice versa look to the past. At the most and very basic - birds want some-one that can provide and blokes want something that can breed. As long as the genes look as though they are functioning normally that is fine.

Ugly, older blokes have been able to get fit birds because they can provide and at the end of the day *most* women find their blokes and manage to reproduce. I apreciate this sounds very sexist but please look at how long we as a species have been around and how we have tended to do things.

We have had 'love doctors' from the year dot and we are still miles from finding the secrets of the oposite sex.

In my humble observations the toughest time for unattached males is between say 13 - 25. Beyond this it gets easier as there are more single ladies around. So no worries single people.

Tymi
xr

Post by Tymi » Tue, 10. Jan 06, 14:17

Wow, who'd have thought a quick post bitchin' about my wife eating into my game time would have built into a discussion about Jungian psycology, Myers-Briggs personality types and the physics of the brain!
"Bother!" said Pooh, as the FBI sniper shot Kanga.

G Morgan
x3

Post by G Morgan » Tue, 10. Jan 06, 16:57

Kurios Kronou wrote:

Tryed Googling it but all the results were of people other people considered ESTJ rather than telling me what it is. Considering the fact that I didn't know any of the people mentioned and attempt to avoid relativism whenever possible (obviously not including GR but thats different to relativism in terms of description of character traits) I would prefer a site which gives terminology rather than one that tells me Harry Truman was a ESTJ.

Anyway (while I still contend that an abstract field based on a complex and little understood model can have only limited scope and usually will only include things you already know yourself) if anyone has a link to a decent site on the topic I'd be grateful.

EDIT- I've just found and done an online test. However it basically asked the same 7 question set about 10 times worded differently. I ascribe this particular test (if not the theory in general) to have the value of Astrology. You certainly can't tell much from essentially 7 questions. Didn't come out ESTJ though and most of the characteristics were moderate rather than any strong inclination to a strong trait.

bvschipper
x3tc

Psychological Testing

Post by bvschipper » Tue, 10. Jan 06, 19:31

G Morgan,

These types of tests are not available online. To have access and administer this type of test requires being licensed or credentialed to do so. Psychology is indeed a science (defined by the adherence or disregard for the "Scientific Method"), but is certainly misapplied by self-help gurus and pop culture.

Interesting fact: On the Minnesota Multiphasic Personality Inventory (MMPI) there is a question that is a good predictor of depression, it reads "I like to tease animals" (yes, I know that is not a question). If you answer "Yes" you are apparently not depressed. Accordingly, if you answer "No" you may want to consult your psychiatrist.

Psychology can be funny... poor little Albert!

Regards,
Brad

G Morgan
x3

Post by G Morgan » Tue, 10. Jan 06, 19:43

Surely the definition of Science is a practice that produces theories based upon testable principles using evidence from repeatable experiments. Fail to see any of this in most fields that consider themselves science (in fact very little Biology actually follows this path with more exceptions than rules in most cases).

If this isn't the definition of Science (being a Physicist I would claim that it is) then Science itself is irrelevant because the first sentence of this post is entirely the reason Science has credibility. Its testability, self criticism and the ability to change that makes Science so robust but it also needs to do this following a set pattern.

Establishing what happens is simple phenomonolgy its when you start to get into reasons why which tie many phenomonons together that it becomes science (so that you can apply Occams Razor, another cornerstone of science).

Not to say that there isn't use for non-scientific fields (by my definition) but I get very touchy when some things get called science with little or no evidence when Physicists need mountains of figures before their ideas are usually considered (mainly because any good theory would produce mountains of evidence).

Master Merchant
x3

Post by Master Merchant » Tue, 10. Jan 06, 19:56

I'm wondering how many of your wives are reading this forum and finding out about your little games 8) .

Also as far as that 2:1 ratio for people-person versus isolationalist. I gain stregnth in both I can interact with people (though I still can't tell a girl how i feel because i'm too GD bashful..that and i swear once too often for my liking) though i can (and have) gone hours without interaction.

Records (Timed via nearest time-telling insterment)
Doom 3 18 hours (3 rest stops)
AoE 2 19 hours 2 minutes.
X3 Record 12 hours (then got took a break to tell my family Happy New Years)
Doom 2 25 hours (I'm never gonna be able to do that again [done at age 8 on a sunday/monday then going to school] wasn't good idea)

And I look back and wonder...if I had gotten a GF how my time would have changed....and what game I'd start her with...
If it makes money, do it...if its illegal...don't get caught. Freelancer
*Dons Flame-Retardant suit and grabs a Bio-Force Gun 9000* Now will the next Flamer please Step up and make my day. (Egosoft Forums after Late Night Doom 3)

Return to “X Trilogy Universe”