Multiplayer for X Games

General discussions about the games by Egosoft including X-BTF, XT, X², X³: Reunion, X³: Terran Conflict and X³: Albion Prelude.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

fadius

Multiplayer for X Games

Post by fadius » Sat, 3. Dec 05, 19:49

I have played X2 and love it. I would love to get X3, but cannot find anywhere where it says it has a multiplayer to it. I assume t does not as X2 did not.

Is anyone working on a multiplayer Mod for X3 or X2?

spaceweedaddict
x3

Post by spaceweedaddict » Sat, 3. Dec 05, 19:52

no :roll:
"Somewhere between an American Pageant and Starship Troopers! "I want to save the environment, and drown in the blood of our enemies Sir!"
Welcome to the New British Empire!"
--Paranoid66

euclid
Moderator (Script&Mod)
Moderator (Script&Mod)
x4

Post by euclid » Sat, 3. Dec 05, 19:53

Hi Fadius !

Many of the X players would like to see at least a LAN option (think about it: organizing a big LAN party !!) but unfortunately this is not possible.

It has been discussed (for X2) over at the Dev forum but there are too many things (in KC code) missing to implement this option.

In short: it's not possible to mod. :sad:

Cheers Euclid

Mudkest
x4

Post by Mudkest » Sat, 3. Dec 05, 19:57

so far no online x-univurse.
maybe sometime, but not anytime soon. but untill then, eve-online is nice alternative -)
Avast ye chumsucking scumbuckets. Landlubbers be keelhauled, pillage them poodles and bring missery and mutiny to the mercifull

daedalao
x3

Post by daedalao » Sat, 3. Dec 05, 19:59

Who cares about a persistant online x-universe... I'd rather just be able to play on a small 2-4 player server w/ my friends... conquest is so much more fun in pairs.

phiend
x3

Post by phiend » Sat, 3. Dec 05, 22:34

They need to get the single player game right first ;)

AgtSmith
x3tc

Post by AgtSmith » Sat, 3. Dec 05, 22:37

I was thinking about this the other day and they could do a MP component fairly easy by including netcode and the ability for you to load in a ship to a pals universe, or him to load into yours. In that way all things would be governed by the hosting game and set according to how they are in that universe.

Doing a MMO style persistant universe for everyone would take a complete rework and eliminate many of the existing elements btu a one to one load in as above would be a nice addition and shouldn't be too hard or too requiring of change in the exisiting game.
Intel Core i7 Quad, Intel X58 SLi, 6G Corsair XMS DDR3, Intel X-25 SSD, 3 WD Velociraptor SATA SuperTrak SAS EX8650 Array, OCZ 1000W PS, GTX 280, xFi, 32" 1080p LCD, XP x86/Vista x64/Windows 7 x64/Ubuntu x64

Rapier
x3tc

Post by Rapier » Sat, 3. Dec 05, 22:40

The practicalities may be easy, the technicalities aren't. Or are you volunteering to write the netcode?
Rapier - The Orifice of all Knowledge

Godwin's Law is not one of the Forum Rules.
Search just the forum with Google

phiend
x3

Post by phiend » Sat, 3. Dec 05, 22:48

Might seem an extreme thing to say but i dont actually think the X-universe is big enough for multiplaying online, LAN maybe with up to 8 mates but id say it needs to be far bigger to copy with the hundred's of people which could be playing at once :D

TSM
Not a Moderator
x4

Post by TSM » Sun, 4. Dec 05, 01:14

and of course the Server Required to run it would cost more than a few pounds aswell.
FAQ's Egosoft Interactive FAQ
Egosoft Wiki

AgtSmith
x3tc

Post by AgtSmith » Sun, 4. Dec 05, 03:28

If they want to pay me to do it I will, just like any programmer for a game would get paid.

What I was saying is that if they did it the way I suggested the netocde would be no harder to write than for any MP game because all you would be doing is loading two people in one universe, I should think you could do this with several depending on how well the netcode is written. So it wouldn't take a server as one host would act as the server - would be a similar setup to how many RTS games are done.
Intel Core i7 Quad, Intel X58 SLi, 6G Corsair XMS DDR3, Intel X-25 SSD, 3 WD Velociraptor SATA SuperTrak SAS EX8650 Array, OCZ 1000W PS, GTX 280, xFi, 32" 1080p LCD, XP x86/Vista x64/Windows 7 x64/Ubuntu x64

shasla5
x3

Post by shasla5 » Sun, 4. Dec 05, 03:50

Ok, would someone please explain to me why you'd need such a large server to run MP? So you have all but 8 sectors in OOS instead of all but 1. The client computer would take care of the sector it's in itself, wouldn't it? Enlighten me, please.
PC specs: Athlon 64 4000+, Geforce 7800 GT 256 MB, 2048 MB PC 3200 RAM, 200 GB 7200 RPM, 500W, nForce 4 SLI dual PCI-E.

TSM
Not a Moderator
x4

Post by TSM » Sun, 4. Dec 05, 04:05

If X was online a very large server would be required to collate information about where a user had been,trading,fighting,factories and ships owned, so you can perhaps begin to imagine say example 100,000 users playing at one time would need some pretty heavy duty hardware.

Also if there was a player(s) vs player(s) battle the information would have to be relayed in real time between the user's PC's.
FAQ's Egosoft Interactive FAQ
Egosoft Wiki

shasla5
x3

Post by shasla5 » Sun, 4. Dec 05, 05:25

Well, in the thousands range, of course. But we're talking 16 players max, probably only 8.
PC specs: Athlon 64 4000+, Geforce 7800 GT 256 MB, 2048 MB PC 3200 RAM, 200 GB 7200 RPM, 500W, nForce 4 SLI dual PCI-E.

Crush
x3tc

Post by Crush » Sun, 4. Dec 05, 05:50

just forget it. it's not possible to do in our lifetime... and even if it is, i doubt that it will ever be done. :shock:

TopMoller
x3

Post by TopMoller » Sun, 4. Dec 05, 06:01

I would love too see a LAN version/Mod added. max of 2-4 players would do . not too much too ask for is it :?

Bazza
x3tc

Post by Bazza » Sun, 4. Dec 05, 06:14

I take it in this multiplayer idea that SETA would be inoperable. I somehow thing a total redesign of the X-Universe gameplay would be in order.
ZORK, IW2:EOC, GIANTS, NOLF 1, Runaway, Gothic I&II, Mafia, Arx Fatalis, Divine Divinity, Vietcong... I Loved Those Games

AgtSmith
x3tc

Post by AgtSmith » Sun, 4. Dec 05, 06:32

TSM wrote:If X was online a very large server would be required to collate information about where a user had been,trading,fighting,factories and ships owned, so you can perhaps begin to imagine say example 100,000 users playing at one time would need some pretty heavy duty hardware.

Also if there was a player(s) vs player(s) battle the information would have to be relayed in real time between the user's PC's.
EVE Online does it with ALL players running on the same server - and other MMOs and FPS games handle numerous to tens of thousands of players so it is possible. Now, to make X into a MMO like EVE Online would be quite impractical because much of what makes X would have to change in a large persistant common universe.
Crush wrote:just forget it. it's not possible to do in our lifetime... and even if it is, i doubt that it will ever be done. :shock:
Uhm, it isn't impossible allthough turning it into a full blown MMO style is unlikely as hell. It might make sense to add netcode similar to an RTS to the game allowing for a couple friends to load into one of the others X Universe - that would be completely possible and might even make sense for ongoing sales given that X4 is goign to take a couple years to develop (game development cycles being what they are). It would make for a nice paid expansion if you ask me.
Bazza wrote:I take it in this multiplayer idea that SETA would be inoperable. I somehow thing a total redesign of the X-Universe gameplay would be in order.
Completely possible but not viable as any one person in such a game accelerating the game clock would accelerate the game clock for all players.

fadius

Post by fadius » Sun, 4. Dec 05, 06:48

The reason I brought this up, is Me and a ton of others play Freelancer. SOmeone hosts a server and ppl can join, createa character, and go. The universe is persistant as long as the server is up.

I like X way better for so many reasons, but I play Freelancer because I can play with friends at the same time, in the same universe.

Devils Slayer
x3

Post by Devils Slayer » Sun, 4. Dec 05, 07:06

I'm not a programmer or even anything close to an operating systems type person, but, couldn't the servers be done something like what Microsoft did with their Flight Simulators?

If you aren't familiar with them then just let me know and I'll explain how they are done. :D :x3:

Return to “X Trilogy Universe”