If you could turn back the clock...Would you have bought the game?

General discussions about the games by Egosoft including X-BTF, XT, X², X³: Reunion, X³: Terran Conflict and X³: Albion Prelude.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

Xaffax
x3

Post by Xaffax » Fri, 25. Nov 05, 17:05

If you want to pay full price for what is essentialy an unfinnished beta. Then buy it and keep it.
Xaffax out!
[ external image ]

Kong
x3tc

Post by Kong » Fri, 25. Nov 05, 17:25

Of course I would buy it again. I play Xx since XBtF, and will continue to do so as long as Egosoft keeps up the excellent support. Every X has been a step forward. Nuffsaid.
Stop the War on Drugs. It is killing more people than the drugs. Not a single death in history worldwide can be directly related to cannabis, yet in some countries you will be murdered by the state for simple possession. The UN admitted the failure of its repressive measures. Stop the madness, legalize drugs!

Hoops71
x3

Post by Hoops71 » Fri, 25. Nov 05, 17:33

To answer the original question 'NO'. This game is seriously flawed IMO and needs some serious patching.

Jaagiis
x3

Post by Jaagiis » Fri, 25. Nov 05, 17:54

And a big YES.....

Swanny
x3tc

Post by Swanny » Fri, 25. Nov 05, 18:02

To original poster:
Yessir, I definitely would have bought it again :)
But I do hope Egosoft will fix it up, and add more content and depth to it.

//Swanny

Nightsorrow
x3

Why was I sold this game?

Post by Nightsorrow » Fri, 25. Nov 05, 18:35

Hi, I love X3, I loved X2, the idea is great, game comes across fantastically, a perfect way for me to waste freetime while g/f is watching Tv.

But why was I sold a game thats not ready?

It freezes constantly, you can be doing anything ,and it will jsut freeze, its not my comp as I have a few and tried it on all of them, also many other people have mentioned it.

I have spent hours on it, but cant do it anymore, I am now going to take it back to the store, and probably never buy from Egosoft again, lets face it, in any other part of life you dont keep buying a product from a company that cant provide what you paid/asked for.

If it gets fixed, then I will buy it again happily, but it will take some convincing, sorry to whinge, but I am probably typing what alot of dissapointed people are thinking.

Good luck with it.

DJSoulJammer
x3

Hope for this !!!

Post by DJSoulJammer » Fri, 25. Nov 05, 18:36

I have played few days X3 and question my self what i really like in it .

Yes indeed Graphics are Totally Amazing and view is Awesome ,man take my breath away just to fly around ,really amazing job , But game
Combat -> Damn ships are to small and move damn fast ,targeting is really bad ,good idea is realistic move of ships .
Game economy => That's a little more problem than was in X2 but i know they will fix it in future updates .
Interface => didn't like it at all and commands also
Ships design are some i already so and again they are to small M3 M4 M5 ships so even are great you have to come to 40 m to see them well
Stations and Fabs are way to Huge comparing to Small very small ships
asteroids are my holly god to Huge .
Partials flying in the space are probably way to disable just didn't figure out how and they are sooo annoying ,didn't like that at all .

Bottom line is i am not sorry i pay for game ,not at all ,just didn't like the game ,absolutely not ,not concept not combat not economy .way to much different from X2 i really love it and will play more now and more like sanse i know now how X3 look like .

What i really hoping for, is just one more thing from Egosoft and that's they have to make it X2 expansion pack ,you know what , i don't care even if there is not more changes in it ,just little more missions and wars and some maybe expanded plot .For Cockpits i have already script so there is no need to change on that point , maybe if is possible to some new ships will be nice and maybe some new kind of fabs all other in my opinion is very good in X2 ,more and far better for me than X3 .

I can not avoid again to say that graphics are damn AWSOME in X3 ,amazing , just amazing :roll:

Please realist this Expansion pack for X2 , please please !!!!

Sorry to be selfish but thats what i think ,we all are diferent in taste .
I don't think diferent ,..... i think same , just in diferent way .... :)

Tolwyn
x3tc

Post by Tolwyn » Fri, 25. Nov 05, 18:45

You... you bought a software title with a bug??

I'm amazed.

:roll:

A friend that recommended this series to me is playing X3, and he is very sensative to problems with games. Funnily enough, he hasn't mentioned a single lock up.

You sure it couldn't possibly be your PC?

Latest nVIDIA/ATI drivers? What card?
What soundcard? What drivers?
If integrated, what MB? What is the latest Platform drivers of your MB?
What version of DirectX?
Is your PC overclocked?
Using RivaTuner to overclock your video card?

Maybe a bit more information and maybe some of us could help?

Al
x3tc

Post by Al » Fri, 25. Nov 05, 18:53

There will be no further patches, expansions or anything else for X2 provided by Egosoft. They've moved on and all effort will be going into patching X3 to be the great game it almost is.

Al
X2 Capture Guru - X3:TC Noob :D
X2 Capture Guide

HadleysHope
x3

Post by HadleysHope » Fri, 25. Nov 05, 18:55

The ONLY time the game has frozen on my pc is if I alt-tab out of it, they it just stops working all together.

The rest of the time it runs as sweet as, no issues what so ever.

First thing I would suggest you do is update your sound and video drivers to whatever is the latest, also make sure you have the very latest version of DirectX.

My pc is 100% spyware / tracking cookie and virus free, so maybe thats a place to start. Get youself a copy of Ad-Aware

I am running a P4 3Ghz (800Mhz FSB) 1Gb ram, ATI 9800 pro (128Mb), latest ATI drivers.

k.spurr
x3tc

Post by k.spurr » Fri, 25. Nov 05, 19:01

which OS do you use ?
if its windows which is what 99% of computers use then thats the most bugged/unfinished product there has ever been !
just look at the list of patches for that..... :lol:
and you complain about a game that might get patched 3 or 4 times in its life time :?
the hanging in the game is a small problem and not somthing a store will refund the game for
my 2 pence :P

HadleysHope
x3

Post by HadleysHope » Fri, 25. Nov 05, 19:05

I like the fact that a game gets patched, generally it fixes bugs I may or may not have come across and sometimes adds functionality to the game. Old but I ever came across with X3 is the labels staying on screen in the stations, but, they have fixed that.

HH

Goffik
x4

Post by Goffik » Fri, 25. Nov 05, 19:06

If you look at some older posts, you'll find that you are not alone in having problems with X3. Many others are too, including lock ups and CTDs. I'm one of the lucky few I guess, that isn't having problems (touch wood). No one seems to know the exact cause either, which is annoying.

The general feeling on the matter seems to be... wait for patch 1.3, due out any time now, and cross your fingers...

Malcolm (Cyteen)
x3

Post by Malcolm (Cyteen) » Fri, 25. Nov 05, 19:07

Nightsorrow, please post some system specifications and an explanation of when/how the lockups occur in the tech forum so we can try and resolve this issue.

Ive never had any lockups myself.

Cyteen out
“What is the meaning of it, Watson?” said Holmes solemnly as he laid down the paper. “What object is served by this circle of misery and violence and fear? It must tend to some end, or else our universe is ruled by chance, which is unthinkable. But what end?"

pixel
x3tc

Post by pixel » Fri, 25. Nov 05, 19:47

I bought it and am happy with it - so I would keep it.

There are some bugs but no biggies, for me the improvements over X2 are great (combat, economy, graphics) and some of the missing features like mobile mining I don't miss anyway - but I guess they will be patched in soon (tm)
"I find your lack of belief in the Three Dimensionality disturbing." Mercenary

"So getting this chick back is more than just getting a chick back. It's the concrete manifestation of an abstract policy goal. And we like concrete - right, Vic?"

Red wine...the only way to frag

TycHouse
x3tc

Post by TycHouse » Fri, 25. Nov 05, 19:51

I've so far installed X3 twice on two completely different systems, my old system was ECS mobo with AMD2400+ 512mb PC133 ram and a GeForce 3 video !!! My new system NF4 AMD 3000 64 bit mobo, 1gb ram and GeForce 6600GT pci-e video. Both running Win2k SP4, NEVER had a lockup, and only experienced two minor bugs.

Again maybe i'm just lucky ! But i think there's more to it than luck !
If you like the game, stick with it and check carefully your drivers. Sound drivers are notorious for causing odd problems.
AMD FX-8350 Eight-Core 4.0GHz Processor
ASrock Extreme 3 R2.0 Motherboard
8Gb memory
2 x AMD HD7770 Graphics (Crossfire not enabled)
Windows Vista Ultimate 64bit SP2

Shintai
x3tc

Post by Shintai » Fri, 25. Nov 05, 19:59

Currently I feel ripped off and regret I bought it. Maybe patches will change it by time. But that doesn´t change my feeling about it as a release.

Aimpoint
x3

Post by Aimpoint » Fri, 25. Nov 05, 20:08

the only lock ups i had were when i first got the game and it locked up at the main menu i think when it tried to replay the intro. Havnt had any trouble anymore. What I find kinda interesting is if the game had run smoothly from the start, I would have never checked out the tech support sections about how to increase performance and that taught me alot about increasing performance for games in general not just x3. kinda ironic.

Stonerkrieg
x3

Post by Stonerkrieg » Fri, 25. Nov 05, 20:10

I almost did'nt buy it because of the copy protection.I once had a severe problem with an earlier version of Starforce,and not being"Super Geek",I had to bring in someone who was at a total of 450$. :evil: Only after careful research to learn that said earlier problem was no longer an issue,did I buy X3.
Would I buy it again,knowing what I know now?No.Lot's of eye candy,No real addition,and too much missing.I was under the impression that the signed scripts would make it into the game,but except for Trader MkIII I see none of them included.I could go on,but others have already done so.

AB14
x3

Post by AB14 » Fri, 25. Nov 05, 20:37

No, for £34.99 I could buy Star Wars Battle Fronts 2, Call of Duty 2 etc... which I could play straight out of the box without having to spend hours fiddling around with my system just to make it work- for a bit.

10 out of 10 for the improved graphics and combat but -10000 out of 10 for giving me hours of disappointment and frustration rather than entertaiment. X2 was a great game, spent days playing it from the first day I brought it but X3..... the negative experience I've had with this game has killed it off for me, like the new sector layouts it all seems to be one big mess. Its not worth £34.99 and I no longer think its worth anymore of my time.

Return to “X Trilogy Universe”