DEVs: ETA on 1.3

General discussions about the games by Egosoft including X-BTF, XT, X², X³: Reunion, X³: Terran Conflict and X³: Albion Prelude.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

MaceUK71
x3

Post by MaceUK71 » Tue, 22. Nov 05, 09:10

Thanks, and I get the message 'SEARCH FUNCTION!!!!!' loud and clear :D .

masrock
x3tc

1 week of november left.....

Post by masrock » Tue, 22. Nov 05, 18:02

Well, we were promised the 'cure all' patch 1.3 by mid november. - there is 1 week of november left from tomorrow (23rd)

Is there any sign of patch 1.3.

1.201 didn't do much for me, any improvement I got was from spending £300 on hardware and even then I'm disappointed with performance of x3. so as you can see I've realy invested a lot in X3, not just the game price.

Since we are rapidly sliding into late november is there any hint to be had about when we will get patch 1.3?

before someone flames me about how they have to test to make sure it works before releaseing the patch (anyone see the irony here - may be they should have done that before releaseing the game in the first place :D ) A progress report on how the patch is coming would be nice.

Yours impatiently.

Masrock

TerrorTrooper
x4

Re: 1 week of november left.....

Post by TerrorTrooper » Tue, 22. Nov 05, 18:03

masrock wrote: before someone flames me about how they have to test to make sure it works before releaseing the patch (anyone see the irony here - may be they should have done that before releaseing the game in the first place :D ) A progress report on how the patch is coming would be nice.

Yours impatiently.

Masrock
i 100% agree with you on the "progress report" We are owed that much.. just to keep our interest in X3

Laroo
x3

Post by Laroo » Tue, 22. Nov 05, 18:33

Jesus how many times does CBJ have to answer, I wish people would read previous posts in a thread!

Qwertu
x3

Post by Qwertu » Tue, 22. Nov 05, 19:18

So, Derek Smart started as project lead sometime just before X3 was developed? :lol: Kidding.

Actually, after the latest X3 patch, combined with the new Nvidia drivers I'm running like butter with a 6800 GT 256MB, Intel 2.8 HT, and 1 GB of generic RAM. The only problems I have now are with the communications. I usually get the station Welcome messages after I undock. Communications is completely broken. I usually get the first couple of words then it skips to the end of the conversation.

stg1969
x3tc

Post by stg1969 » Tue, 22. Nov 05, 19:22

Forget the search function, perhaps people should read the rest of THIS thread before asking yet again for an ETA. CBJ answered the same question in the same thread 3 times, it's a wonder he wasn't looking for the "wry smile" smiley over on the left.

:D

CBJ
EGOSOFT
EGOSOFT
x4

Post by CBJ » Tue, 22. Nov 05, 19:27

Qwertu wrote:Communications is completely broken. I usually get the first couple of words then it skips to the end of the conversation.
This is a codec problem. There are several threads about this around the place such as this one, including one with a radical solution if the normal methods fail.

Schizosimian
x3

Post by Schizosimian » Tue, 22. Nov 05, 19:29

Not really surprising to be running well with a 256MB 6800GT is it!

I.m getting okay performance with a 256MG 6600GT, but its pointless trying combat unless its just you and a lone pirate in outa space.... This is prob largely down to having to use microsofts 64bit drivers as ASUS havent got round to making any yet... tsk!

Anyway, whilst Egosoft SHOULD POST AN ETA for the patch, they might as well sit on it until say, 1st Dec or somewhere around then to give themselves time to sort out most the little bugs and boost performance. I didnt try it before 1.3 but im not having any problems apart from with FPS which like i said is partially due to my drivers.

It would be good if Egosoft posted up a date, though with regards to 1.2.1 they should defo give themselves a bit longer, that way they can get the bugs outta the way and 1.4 can focus on all the little things to enhance gameplay that people keep mentioning.

Patience, is a virtue.

Qwertu
x3

Post by Qwertu » Tue, 22. Nov 05, 22:08

CBJ wrote:
Qwertu wrote:Communications is completely broken. I usually get the first couple of words then it skips to the end of the conversation.
This is a codec problem. There are several threads about this around the place such as this one, including one with a radical solution if the normal methods fail.
Ah, yes. I forgot to mention that I downloaded that utility that converted all the files for me. I went as low a sampling rate as I could go since the wife makes me wear headphones anyway. Still doing it. I'm going to try the less extreme suggestion (K-Lite) next.

Thanks!

masrock
x3tc

Post by masrock » Tue, 22. Nov 05, 23:29

I have the 6800gt with 2gb corsair value select and an amd3200+ cpu.

I still get performance drops to 5fps in busy sectors, with the money I've spent upgrading I'd expect my system to show better performance.

Yes I've upgraded all drivers, defragged, checked and checked again, in fact I've spent more time tuning my pc than playing. All other games including the half life 2 coast show case download work beautifully on full res. 3dmark05 is 5212.

Thats why I'm disappointed in X3 and impatient for 1.3. I'm holding off playing through the story till the system is properly patched.

Masrock

Linby
x3

Post by Linby » Wed, 23. Nov 05, 01:03

Right, this is getting beyond a joke now, and I'm sorry CJB, but you're not exactly doing yourself many favours by insulting this community with sarcasm. It's a given that the majority of people with this game are kids, and perhaps many do not have the necessary communications skills to respectfully enquire about future developments! (now that's sarcasm! as i would expect all of us as 'customers' would be treated equally. No?)

It pains me to see people talking about giving Egosoft more time, on the assumption they will receive better goods. This may well be the case, but essentially it's letting the people you paid off the hook. Now I'm sorry but the information that we have been supplied by CJB and Egosoft is insufficient. I've covered this many times in many posts, as have others, with no response from Devs/Mods.

I'm sure I'm not the only person that feels angered by being palmed off in such a manner. What I'm keen to know, more than anything, is if these forums are being monitored for peoples problems, and if so, i want to know which problems are directly being addressed in 1.3
At the moment, all we're lead to believe, from previous comments in the 'News' is that we'll get 'some' performance improvements. Now if the patch is being actively worked on, and the delay is due to more problems being raised then i think we should be notified.

To just post 3 consecutive times, that you'll let us know more when you have the info, just serves to show us that 'you' the commissioned representative, wishes not to disclose the intricacies of your work on the patch. So i suggest you make yourself useful and report what's going on, rather than making posts which constitute nothing more than to say you've read our comments.

On a final note: We also wouldn't have to put up with these comments on the front page,
The bad news is, that there is a price tag attached.
Anyone visiting the forums lately will have noticed the, unfortunately quite frequent, hangs or plain simple downtimes of the forum server. This is quickly explained by the enormous number of users visiting the forums. Rest assured that we are working on resolving these issues asap - starting with a further hardware upgrade early next week. In addition to that we are also working on some software-side improvements to make the system more stable.
if someone was a little more date specific on a 1.3. Because then we wouldn't have people coming here day after day, overloading the forums, just looking for news about a release. Think about it...

Good day. :!:

CBJ
EGOSOFT
EGOSOFT
x4

Post by CBJ » Wed, 23. Nov 05, 02:17

There is no sarcasm in my replies in this thread. All I have done is stated the facts as I know them and repeated those facts where necessary. Some people appreciate that I try to do this while retaining a sense of humour, but clearly others do not.

On the subject of what information is available, it is not up to me to decide what information is disclosed to the public. Right now that is all there is and, as I have said several times, when more information is available it will be posted prominently.

esd
x3tc

Post by esd » Wed, 23. Nov 05, 02:25

i want to know which problems are directly being addressed in 1.3
Don't forget, CBJ is as much under an NDA as any tester (in fact, moreso). This means that even if he wanted to tell you, he couldn't, legally.
It's a given that the majority of people with this game are kids
Actually the majority of the users on this forum are on the closer side to retirement than not. It was worked out a while back that the average age was over 30.
esd's Guides: X² Loops - X³ MORTs

Linby
x3

Post by Linby » Wed, 23. Nov 05, 03:39

CBJ-
I don't wish to argue semantics with you as i feel its a pointless exercise. I agree with you entirely that you've given us all the available information that you are able to due to NDA or otherwise. I admit i had not given consideration to the fact that you were bound by such terms. However, considering those facts, and bearing in mind that there are many, many people with an unplayable X3, is it not possible for EGOSOFT to be a little more flexible with its customers in the information it is able to reveal?

esd-
Don't forget, CBJ is as much under an NDA as any tester (in fact, moreso). This means that even if he wanted to tell you, he couldn't, legally.
Sorry, it didn't say anything in the manual. But joking aside, if you want to talk about legalities, then how about consumer rights? In effect, i have a defective product and no definitive answer as to when it will be replaced/fixed.
Actually the majority of the users on this forum are on the closer side to retirement than not. It was worked out a while back that the average age was over 30.
So rather than addressing any of my other more pressing issues, you decided to throw a meaningless statistic at me. Alright, fair enough so i made an incorrect assumption about the wider audience, but as i said previously it's irrelevant.

In reference to what CBJ actually said;
The original ETA for 1.3 did not take into account the decision to make an early 1.2.01 release to solve some of the urgent issues that people were having with performance and CTDs.
Someone made comment about why 1.3 wasn't started directly after the 1.2 patch, and that surely 1.2.01 was just part of the existing work which needed to be fixed. Not to mention that many peoples problems started from the release of 1.2.01 (as mine did).
Bearing in mind that 1.2.01 is barely a week old, and that a little more than that is required to do any meaningful development and testing for the next patch, I would not get your hopes up for a release this weekend.
Meaningful development and testing. That's a pretty off-the-cuff statement, and suggests that 1.2.01 wasn't very meaningful or adequately tested. Mid November was estimated, yet it is now 6 working days until the end of the month. I wouldn't get my hopes up about it being completed this month based on the response to peoples threads on here.

But if, like you say, you have no input on what goes into the Dev team's work, then what other services do you provide? In other words, who is the individual to have enough balls to tell all these people to stop reconfiguring their systems, components, you name it, because the game is incomplete until X date.
If you are our go between, then does the information only travel one way, or are you able to communicate a message of unease from the community.

Thank you for your prompt response CBJ and esd.

esd
x3tc

Post by esd » Wed, 23. Nov 05, 04:52

Linby wrote:esd-
Sorry, it didn't say anything in the manual. But joking aside, if you want to talk about legalities, then how about consumer rights? In effect, i have a defective product and no definitive answer as to when it will be replaced/fixed.
So rather than addressing any of my other more pressing issues, you decided to throw a meaningless statistic at me. Alright, fair enough so i made an incorrect assumption about the wider audience, but as i said previously it's irrelevant.
Fact is, I'm a forum jockey and player. I'm not an Ego-dev. I'm not a tester. I simply explained CBJ's position and pointed out the age of players around here.
esd's Guides: X² Loops - X³ MORTs

bman3500
x3

Post by bman3500 » Wed, 23. Nov 05, 09:18

Alright, its past mid November, quite honestly I'm not really suprised, I totally expected this. There are obviously alot of problems with the game bugwise, not to mention the the equally duanting number of gameplay issues and desire for new content. Now I assume that the dev's are at least addressing all the current big bugs, as far as how much new gameplay, game tweaking etc is gonna take place i have no idea and most likely how long it takes to release the patch would most likely be a good indicator of that.

Now I definitely understand your point of view Linby about being impatient for fixes to problems that are severly effecting gameplay, though i havent had any game stoppers the state the game was in at release hasnt exactly made me happy either. But whats done is done, we both spent our money and in the end whats more important to me is that what needs to get fixed does get fixed, and im willing to wait longer for an effective patch, rather then a half-finished patch that will break more then it fixes.

Considering just the amount of content that needs to be fixed like i said before im not suprised the patch date of mid November didnt happen. My main question really is less so when the patch will be released, but if it will be mostly bug fixes or will there be some gameplay changes? And if so how much? I know you said you can't tell us anymore then what you have CBJ but my point is I would actually care less about a release date then on release content info.

Lord KiRon
x3

Post by Lord KiRon » Wed, 23. Nov 05, 09:31

Have to say that even if I completely understend that CJB or some other "egosoft related" guy can't know or can't tell becase of NDA I dissagree with aproach.

"It will be done when it will be done" is not a very good aproach for the product that was released and sold.
It disapointing for unreleased products but for released products with MAJOR problems (even if X3 itself a good game) its insulting.

What I think CJB or someone else should do is to go to his "boss" or "contact person" and ask: "What I should answer to customers about 1.3 patch ETA and targeted fixes - they are all asking for it".
And post the OFFICIAL reply here or better at newspage.

I personally can live with delays but "no comment/don't know" replies are insulting.
Pentium 4 3.0Ghz HT , 2x512MB OCZ 2.5 dualchannel RAM 3200 (400Mhz),
800Mhz BUS, Asus P4C800-E Deluxe mobo
Gigabyte 6800GT 256MB ,
Windows XP SP2 , 81.85 Detonators
10,000 RPM SATA WD Raptor HD,
Creative Audigy 2 Pro.

Bri62
x3

Post by Bri62 » Wed, 23. Nov 05, 09:49

How many faulty consumables would you get away with saying " it will be repaired soon/idon't know/when its ready??????????
DFi NF4 Expert
AMD64 FX-57 Phase cooled
2x 6800 ultra's in SLi
G-Skill ZX 2Gig 2-2-3-5

mattius
x3

Post by mattius » Wed, 23. Nov 05, 09:56

NDA - For gods sake it's only a game not a government document. We bought the game & we have a right to know when Egosoft will deliver what they originally promised.

NDA :lol:

Perhaps by keeping us informed may leak the plans that they are going to take over the world. Never known a game with so many issues upon original release. A lot of problems seem to be down to Codecs. Other games don't have these issues so come on Egosoft get your act together, otherwise this could well be your final release. :cry:

Qwertu
x3

Post by Qwertu » Wed, 23. Nov 05, 15:56

Look, y'all can badger these guys all day and they're not going to tell you anything you want to hear. Go play another game for a couple months. I just downloaded Battlefield 2: Special Forces and plan on spending my holiday spare time with that. By the time I get tired of that I'm sure there will be some updates.

For now, X3 will sit with Boiling Point and Universal Combat on my waiting for playability stack. Hopefully they'll support Windows Media Player 10, maybe they'll figure out a way to let you transfer earnings from X2 to X3. Who knows? Yeah they messed up, but it isn't going to kill you unless y'all keep stressing about it.

Return to “X Trilogy Universe”