DEVs: ETA on 1.3

General discussions about the games by Egosoft including X-BTF, XT, X², X³: Reunion, X³: Terran Conflict and X³: Albion Prelude.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

ChileanLlama
x3

Post by ChileanLlama » Wed, 23. Nov 05, 18:04

Only major issue for me is the freezing, can't play when it decides to freeze every 10 minutes. There's a lot of other issues which I'd be more patient for, but constant crashes and freezing my whole system is not one of them.

But all this about 1.2.1 putting back the date...unless some dates have been changed it simply doesn't add up.

- 1.2.1 is announced on this forum on 11/11/05. It states that 1.3 will be released mid-november.
- So 4 days after 1.2.1 or thereabouts 1.3 should have been ready according to schedules say 18/11/05 giving some leeway and using working days only
- It's now 23/11/05 (8 days after 1.2.1).

What doesn't add up, is that when that post was made about 1.2.1 it was after it had been released. It stated mid-November. The impacts of doing the unscheduled 1.2.1 *must* have been known at that time!

So why has the original estimate doubled in size from 4 days to 8 days - that's a lot of manhours even if it's just a handful of coders involved (not including testers etc).

There's likely a number of reasons for that, quite frankly, I'm not too bothered what they are. I suspect the most likely one is that 1.3 is being developed to cater for more and more bugs. Releasing intermediate patches costs more money for coding, testing and distribution than one large patch does.

However the fundamental issue here is one of communication, Egosoft have given a timescale, they have missed it, and should be communicating updated information. BS about NDA's or "it's ready when it's ready" doesn't cut it now, as someone in EGOSOFT must know, and someone in EGOSOFT decided to put their own necks on the block when they mentioned the original date.

So after that essay, I suggest those under NDA find someone at EGOSOFT who does have the authority to give us an update, get it posted and manage expectations correctly.

Linby
x3

Post by Linby » Wed, 23. Nov 05, 18:22

hehe (well, i have to say guys this thread is cracking me up, nice to see some levelheadedness in the house).

You know i really would have taken a back seat on all this pretty much in the vain that some have suggested. Putting it amongst the list of 'waiting for playability'. However, that list is getting ridiculously large as a few of you have pointed out that this software industry is too complex to put anything out which works out of the box.

Also, before i delve into the debacle further, I'd like to mention that one of the main reasons i took it upon myself to 'badger' these guys was due to something which one of the Dev's/mods (cant remember which) asked in another thread. People were talking about random crashes, and i believe the thread was named Random Crashing, or some such. Anyway, 2 pages into the discussion this guys asks 'Can you replicate the crash?' There's more too it but to keep it short, it gave the impression that he hadn't read the previous comments at all. That of course really got my back up, and subsequent posts didn't even herald any response, let alone an answer.
Which is just not good enough. I could understand if it was a general forum, but this is supposed to be 'Tech Support'. I've not seen much support going on that's for sure. In fact, the only help I've seen being dished out is something to do with codecs and some 'radical' steps to take if you're experiencing difficulties. Now, I'm not being funny, but WHY THE HELL ARE THEY ASKING US TO FIX OUR OWN SHIT?! Quite frankly that appalls me. First they want us to be their unpaid beta testers, and then to have a go at DIY. Not bloody likely! Especially as there's a high probability it still wont sort things out.

I've been burned by Lionhead already, and I'm not keen on it happening again with Egosoft. Once bitten, and all that.

The other thing, seeing as X3 is totally unplayable on my machine due to random crashing from patch 1.2.01, is that at the moment I'm not concerned about extra features to be added in 1.3 Just a clear indication of if they are able to fix the random crashing caused (supposedly) by 1.2.01. (which didn't fix any plot bugs either). In all honesty, i wouldn't mind if the patch was released in January, I just don't want to be wasting all my time visiting Ego's site every day to see if there's any news.

I think if anyone is behaving in a childish manner it's Egosoft, with its NDA's and its 'It'll be ready when its ready' attitude. I mean, quite frankly, who the &£*%k!! do you think you are Ego!

If Ego wants to change its ways, then here's a simple solution. Product is released AS a BETA at say half price. The bugs can be ironed out by the people who buy it on release, and after a couple of months all's fine and dandy. That way, those that insist on having it first know what they're getting, and get it cheap, and later on the rest of us can be assured that we're getting a proper product. Needless to say, the only reason for them to keep quiet is if they're still trying to figure out the root of their issues.

... Just as a note, does anyone know if the Beta testers on this project were given concessions of any kind? I'm sure they must have been, but we still ended up with a Beta release.

Sorry to rattle on guys, I know its a pain in the ass reading through these long posts, but stick with it and give 'em grief, cos by the beard of Zeus, they deserve some stick. Of course its a great game, and that's all the more reason to get on their cases about it.

"Sorry, but the universe you were expecting to rule has encountered an illegal operation and must close." :o

Lurkerwhowantslesscrying

Post by Lurkerwhowantslesscrying » Wed, 23. Nov 05, 18:24

/Lurk mode disengadged

<SPOILER>THIS POST HAS THE WORD SHIT IN IT ALOT. Im sorry but anything else probably wont get the point across. YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED. :o

Those of you who are doing this know who you are and REALY need to get a life. STOP POSTING. NO ONE gives 2 <count em> 2 shits about why you are whiny impatient little children. We dont care, the devs dont care, the world doesnt care. Posting your mindless, useless, and impotent drivel just helps to prove that you realy are totaly devoid of the necessary skills to participate in normal society. THEY dont want you, what makes you think we do? Ive been lurking here since XBTF and I am about FRICKEN SICK of all you little whiny wannabe trolls that come out whenever something of any substance happens. What we have here is a failure to COMPREHEND.
ALL PC GAMES HAVE BUGS. Its a FACT, LIVE WITH IT or GO BACK TO YOUR FRICKEN CONSOLES WHERE YOU BELONG. If you dont have the patience to sit back and wait for some bugs to be fixed the PC comunity REALY doesnt need you, you only hurt those of us who want good games. All your disproportionate whining only causes the REAL issues to be lost amid the dozens of dumbass post ie. <My game lagzzz cus I got a voodoo 4> < OMG No cockpits WTH > OVER AND OVER AND OVER ext ext ext.
For the love of god it gets fricking old having to sift thru all the mindless SHIT that you call freedom of speach. JUST because you HAVE that freedom doesnt mean you HAVE to spew forth the total bull that comes from half of you fools. Next time you have something you types want to say, do us all a favor, STFU. We dont care, we realy just want you to die.
IF you have a thought that takes more than one active synapse to form and might acctualy HELP THE DAMNED ISSUES by all means post it in a constructive manner, but for the love of god/allah/jesus/mary/joseph/emanuel ext ext, STOP ALL THIS BS WHINING about the SAME SHIT over and over and over. Things worth having are worth waiting for, shit happens in development and fixes take some time. Giving you any info about a final date on ANYTHING will only serve to give you retards more ammo for your potato guns. :evil:
And even if they DID throw you a bone you would just turn around and bite at their hands again anyway. AGAIN so you know, IF YOU DONT HAVE THE PATIENCE TO WAIT FOR SOMETHING TO BE FIXED DONT FRICKEN BUY A PC GAME WHEN IT FIRST COMES OUT. YOU DONT DESERVE IT. Those of you trolls know who you fricken are, STFU and go bother the halo forums or some shit.

And on the topic of other forums ALL recent releases <BF2:SF, SW : BF2, RTW BI, Civ 4 for f#$@s sake, I HAVE THEM ALL> have had major issues and none have had ANYWHERE near the support the ego crew has given us so you ALL should REALY just be thankfull.

Oh yeah, MY game works just fine on a older system, sure it have some bugs and a little lag but it is FAR from unplayable. Maybe you should check your OWN shit before you start spewing "OMG THIS GAME SUCKS". :evil:

For you forum vets that have been SO helpfull over the years to my games of Xbtf XT X2 and now X3, THANK YOU for ALL your help. I dont post but I am out here and apreciative of all your thankless help. Keep the dream alive. 8)

And for those of you who are at the receiving end of my rant, take what I said to heart because you REALY need to. It might make your pathetic lives a hair or 2 better. If you dont want to, Well I realy dont give a shit, just STOP shoving your idiotic and totaly unhelpfull crap in our faces. If your lives are REALY that bad you should REALY stop playing games and worry about RL for a while. Come back when youve grown a bit. Hell maybe then the game will have everything your little nub hearts desire. Till then GET OVER YOURSELVES, WE DONT CARE, Kindly STFU.

PS. Those of you who dont deserve to hear this, IM SORRY, Those of you who WANT to speak out aghenst the morons but cant for whatever reason, You dont need to thank me. :wink: Those of you who who this was directed at DONT even think to respond it only proves me right, and again WE DONT CARE that you have sand in your vagina.

Thank you for your attention.

Truly,
Draconis
Thelurkerwhowantswhinerstodieinafire

/Lurk mode activated

Linby
x3

Post by Linby » Wed, 23. Nov 05, 18:25

ChileanLlama: well said. my sentiments exactly.

Horace
x3tc

Post by Horace » Wed, 23. Nov 05, 18:27

Chill Bill :)
~~Goofy Commander Horace~~

Lord KiRon
x3

Post by Lord KiRon » Wed, 23. Nov 05, 18:31

Lurkerwhowantslesscrying, your post as long and unreadable as your nick :roll: :lol:
Last edited by Lord KiRon on Wed, 23. Nov 05, 18:33, edited 1 time in total.
Pentium 4 3.0Ghz HT , 2x512MB OCZ 2.5 dualchannel RAM 3200 (400Mhz),
800Mhz BUS, Asus P4C800-E Deluxe mobo
Gigabyte 6800GT 256MB ,
Windows XP SP2 , 81.85 Detonators
10,000 RPM SATA WD Raptor HD,
Creative Audigy 2 Pro.

Linby
x3

Post by Linby » Wed, 23. Nov 05, 18:32

Oh yeah, MY game works just fine on a older system, sure it have some bugs and a little lag but it is FAR from unplayable. Maybe you should check your OWN **** before you start spewing "OMG THIS GAME SUCKS".
Oh dear, somebody missed the point.

Lurkerwhowantslesscrying

Post by Lurkerwhowantslesscrying » Wed, 23. Nov 05, 18:43

Lord KiRon wrote:Lurkerwhowantslesscrying, your post as long and unreadable as your nick :roll: :lol:
Then please dont post in response to it if you cant read it, But thanks for helping to make my point.

Linby wrote:
Oh yeah, MY game works just fine on a older system, sure it have some bugs and a little lag but it is FAR from unplayable. Maybe you should check your OWN **** before you start spewing "OMG THIS GAME SUCKS".

Acctualy Linby I started writing that before you posted your last bit. I think your peice was well thought out and not a whiny rag. I was mainly saying that in reference to the acctualy post that that IS the topic heading.
No offence is intended UNLESS you are the fools who this whole slap in the face was aimed at, and these people SHOULD realy know who they are. Those who dont deserve it, please just take it as the sarcastic fed-up with the BS rant that it is.

Peace

D_Zorro
x3tc

Post by D_Zorro » Wed, 23. Nov 05, 19:02

Lurkerwhowantslesscrying wrote:
Lord KiRon wrote:Lurkerwhowantslesscrying, your post as long and unreadable as your nick :roll: :lol:
Then please dont post in response to it if you cant read it, But thanks for helping to make my point.

Linby wrote:

Acctualy Linby I started writing that before you posted your last bit. I think your peice was well thought out and not a whiny rag. I was mainly saying that in reference to the acctualy post that that IS the topic heading.
No offence is intended UNLESS you are the fools who this whole slap in the face was aimed at, and these people SHOULD realy know who they are. Those who dont deserve it, please just take it as the sarcastic fed-up with the BS rant that it is.

Peace
He lurker. your not by any chance a coworker of egosoft itself are you ??? :P
Sent here to rant on other people who actually had the oddesy of register there game itself. :roll:

I don't see your game registered either.
Those that whine ( Did register there game )here actually paid for the game so they have also have the right to whine if it isn't working.

So paying customers does apply here. :wink:

DZorro,
System spec: Pentium (R) D 2.66 Ghz, Ram : 2048 DDR, HD : 250 GIG 7200 RPM intern 8 MB cash
Videocard : Nvidia Geforce 8800 GTS 320mb : Realtek
Laptop : AMD athlon 64 3200 + 1024 DDR 80 gig HD Conexant AMC Audio, Ati mobility Radeon Express 200

tezcatlipoca
x3

Post by tezcatlipoca » Wed, 23. Nov 05, 19:43

Crying about crying? How ironic.

There is but one law in IT, software developers are never on schedule. I have dealt with it for years. Take whatever estimates they give you and add 20 to 50% on top of that.

Therefore I won't start crying about 1.3 until mid February, nor will I be playing the game. My game has very seldom crashed, and I haven't had all the bug problems, but the economy just seems out of whack. Thats what I'm hoping they fix. (Oh yeah and SETA at the stations, although I get the feeling they did that on purpose!!! While I'm at it, more Free Traders, more pirates to kill, include mining so I can use the laser drill I have on my Demeter, there is a bunch of other stuff too. X2 1.4 was magnificent and I am hoping they can get X3 to that point).

In the mean time, I am taking a small part of Lucker's message to heart and going back to my console. See you in Perfect Dark Zero!

esd
x3tc

Post by esd » Wed, 23. Nov 05, 19:44

Lurkerwhowantslesscrying wrote:*stuff that breaks the rules*
Good job getting the thread locked. This sort of nonsense will not be tolerated.
esd's Guides: X² Loops - X³ MORTs

Return to “X Trilogy Universe”