**X3 Player Guides,Tutorials and other Useful Information** Updated 15/09/06

General discussions about the games by Egosoft including X-BTF, XT, X², X³: Reunion, X³: Terran Conflict and X³: Albion Prelude.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

giskard
xr

Post by giskard » Thu, 26. Jan 06, 18:03

Ive been reading the combat guides, RavenIII seems to be the best but I disagree with some of the assumptions made in it. Krusade's X3 Combat Guide is good for spelling out the differences between weapons but also missing a few points.

After reading the questions asked in the forum and being horrified at some of the tips being given out, I have decided to write a guide that fills the gap between Ravens advice and Krusades.

I will not bother with weapon descriptions or capturing tricks, but i think i'll focuse on useability of ships and weapons. Many of the issues people have with m6s and m2s can be explained by the tactics they use. To me its clear why they die so fast after reading the tips people are giving out.

Theres a failure to make the leap beyond X2 that appears to be common place right now. So i think its time explain how combat differs in X3 and hope the point hits home.

Giskard
This signature has been stolen by the well known Teladi Signature Thief X Siggy.

TSM
Not a Moderator
x4

Post by TSM » Thu, 26. Jan 06, 19:07

The NME wrote:I thank you all for the update date in the header of this sticky. I'll always know when something has changed.

Unfortunatly, there are so many links in this, that I don't know which one has changed. Merroc's complex calculator has a date attached to the end of the link, And I think this is the way forward now.

Anyway, just my twopenneth
:) as of now all new threads will be dated its a good idea if i wasn't so busy I might have thought of it :P
FAQ's Egosoft Interactive FAQ
Egosoft Wiki

giskard
xr

Post by giskard » Thu, 26. Jan 06, 21:39

Ooo lots of combat guides. :)

Heres a new one from me, it does not cover the points mentioned in other guides but instead focuses on the need to ballance your weapons and choose the right ship for the right role.

X3 Combat: The Right Role
http://forum.egosoft.com/viewtopic.php? ... 98#1449398

TSM: PS, all my guides are X3 1.3 or 1.3.1 now. Just so you know. :)

Giskard
Last edited by giskard on Thu, 26. Jan 06, 22:05, edited 1 time in total.
This signature has been stolen by the well known Teladi Signature Thief X Siggy.

The NME
x4

Post by The NME » Thu, 26. Jan 06, 22:00

TSM Wrote
as of now all new threads will be dated its a good idea if i wasn't so busy I might have thought of it
Thank you. I am sure many other people will apreciate it as well.
RIP PJK - Gone but not forgotten
The lessons you taught will be forever remembered
The master is remembered by many padowans

sawer82

Weapons

Post by sawer82 » Thu, 26. Jan 06, 22:46

I really like the info on all aspect of the game you guys are making , but i've got a problem with weapons. I have found a lot of info about the types of weapons a difference between them (HEPT, PBC , PAC , PSG) , but noone mentioned whats the difference between alfa , beta , gamma versions of the same type of weapon. I'm sorry if this is obvious to you , but i am new to the game and didn't found a thing about it. Thanx for answers.

giskard
xr

Re: Weapons

Post by giskard » Thu, 26. Jan 06, 23:07

sawer82 wrote:I really like the info on all aspect of the game you guys are making , but i've got a problem with weapons. I have found a lot of info about the types of weapons a difference between them (HEPT, PBC , PAC , PSG) , but noone mentioned whats the difference between alfa , beta , gamma versions of the same type of weapon. I'm sorry if this is obvious to you , but i am new to the game and didn't found a thing about it. Thanx for answers.
Basically Alpha's are the weaker versions of a weapon, Gammas are the strongest and betas are somewhere in between and the most common.

Giskard

sawer82

Post by sawer82 » Thu, 26. Jan 06, 23:08

thought so , thanx a lot

jlehtone
x4

Post by jlehtone » Fri, 27. Jan 06, 14:22

May I humbly propose my Mining station guide?

Just happy to see it in top-10 of 'Search'. :roll:

Zathos
x3

Post by Zathos » Fri, 27. Jan 06, 15:42

Don't know if this counts as useful, but I knocked together a basic keyboard layout for 'standard' X3 controls.

http://forum2.egosoft.com/viewtopic.php?t=123915

Use, abuse or ignore as necessary :wink:
"A leader is best when people barely know he exists, when his work is done, his aim fulfilled, they will all say, we did this ourselves' - Lao Tse (circa 600 BC)

Alche
x3

Post by Alche » Thu, 2. Feb 06, 11:24

Universal Traders running out of ECs

Probably nothing new but not seen it mentioned anywhere.

My UTs carrying around 600cells would stop after a few hours, send message, no energy in range. A real pain in the butt. I have now increased my UTs allocation to 1000cells. They have now been running continuously for over 12hrs, problem appears to be fixed.

So somewhere between 600-1000 cells is optimum for UTs to carry. In other words go for a big transport and load it up with 1000cells.

herocrafter
x4

Post by herocrafter » Fri, 3. Feb 06, 09:32

I'm at work now so I can't be sure but I think that some of the numbers for the M and L vultures in rtd's ship stats (excel) are wrong; the standard and max speed and steering are different from those of the S.

ScottE
x3

Post by ScottE » Sun, 5. Feb 06, 00:39

I just got the game yesterday in the mail and now trying to figure out what to do. Its got a steep learning curve but expected that.

I got that nice Keyboard layout from here which helps (BTW, that should have been included in the product! With all the keys its a crime not to get that as part of the retail version.)

Which guide is the best for a beginner? There are a ton of them here and not sure where I should start.

Thanks for any help.
-Scott

giskard
xr

Post by giskard » Sun, 5. Feb 06, 02:58

Start out with

Krusade's X3 Combat Guide
RavenIII's Guide to Corvettes...Combat. [X3 Guide]

These explain equipement and common terms used in the game, after your done, you should understand most guides.

My guides should help a lot but i dont cover the equipement in as much detial as those two guides do.

Giskard
Last edited by giskard on Sat, 11. Feb 06, 16:06, edited 1 time in total.

Krusade
x3tc

Post by Krusade » Sun, 5. Feb 06, 10:13

I'd think I'd better point out that my combat guide hasn't been updated since I put it on my website, this is because I'm at university and have had a huge amount of coursework to do over the last couple of months so I haven't had time to work on it. I've got a week off soon so I may be able to improve it then.

PM me any suggestions and I'll add them to the guide.

Thanks
Warning: the preceding post almost certainly contains bad grammar and spelling, sarcasm, British humour, general insanity and excessive amounts of Progressive Rock.

jzigabob
x3tc

Post by jzigabob » Sat, 11. Feb 06, 13:54

Did you ever get an answer to your question? I'd like to know also.

Apocholypse
x3

Post by Apocholypse » Sun, 12. Mar 06, 22:14

http://forum.2x-pensive.de/viewtopic.php?t=223

Here's a nice little PDF on Ranks for people. Very Professional. Credits to Brash who made it.

Stormsong
x3tc

Post by Stormsong » Sun, 12. Mar 06, 23:20

Apocholypse wrote:http://forum.2x-pensive.de/viewtopic.php?t=223

Here's a nice little PDF on Ranks for people. Very Professional. Credits to Brash who made it.
Looks like a "trading mod" to me...
"The most beautiful thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the source of all true art and science."

Brash
x4

Post by Brash » Mon, 13. Mar 06, 06:23

Erm... it seems this was the wrong link. The trading mod is made by the BBS group in my forum. It is not my work. I think you mean this one ;-)

>>X3 Rankoverview<<

@Apocholypse

Anyway, thx for your post here :P

Apocholypse
x3

Post by Apocholypse » Mon, 13. Mar 06, 14:39

:lol:

BugMeister
x4

Post by BugMeister » Fri, 17. Mar 06, 17:25

Hey, TSM..

I've posted a printable (A4) keyboard layout in Excel format at:-
http://www.savefile.com/files/5790707

it's a tiny file ( only 31k!!) but it will print out OK..

Zathos has also produced a printable keyboard layout in .vsd format - utilising Microsoft Visio, you can get it here:-
http://mysite.wanadoo-members.co.uk/zat ... oardr2.vsd

**given that there are so many keys available to the player during normal gameplay, I thought it might be nice to have one to put with your manual..

..good luck - have fun - and many thanks!!

BugMeister :D :thumb_up:
- the whole universe is running in BETA mode - we're working on it.. beep..!! :D :thumb_up:

Return to “X Trilogy Universe”