[X3R] Do asteroids respawn?

General discussions about the games by Egosoft including X-BTF, XT, X², X³: Reunion, X³: Terran Conflict and X³: Albion Prelude.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

ItWasntMe
x3ap

[X3R] Do asteroids respawn?

Post by ItWasntMe » Fri, 3. Feb 23, 21:32

Hello,
I wondered if anyone remembers if asteroids respawn in X3 Reunion after they have been broken up with the mobile drilling system. Or are they gone permanently? Also if they have an Ore/Silicon mine placed on them is and they are destroyed is that asteroid gone permanently?
I realise that this is an game and this may be a big ask but I just wondered if anyone remembers these things.
Thanks.
Split say: ***Arrrg!!!***

Alan Phipps
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Re: [X3R] Do asteroids respawn?

Post by Alan Phipps » Fri, 3. Feb 23, 21:48

My recollection for X3 games generally is that broken-up map-shown asteroids will eventually respawn in situ (sometimes within a field of rubble from their predecessor), while asteroids that have mines on that are moved or destroyed will never respawn.
A dog has a master; a cat has domestic staff.

ItWasntMe
x3ap

Post by ItWasntMe » Fri, 3. Feb 23, 21:58

Yeah that was what I thought but it's been a long time since I've played this game. There are one or two sectors that look good that I was considering clearing and I didn't want to go to loads of effort to fix a sector just for everything to respawn.

I think I can clear away the smaller rocks but I need to break them up and then collect them. I'm really hoping they don't respawn as well because they really do get in the way.

It's been a while since I've played this game and I know it has it's limitations but it was a very good game at the time. I probably should move on to more recent games but I want finish playing X3 first. :-)

jlehtone
x4

Post by jlehtone » Sat, 4. Feb 23, 02:14

Yes.

There are:
* Rocks
* Asteroids
* Mines

When you build a Mine, the Asteroid is removed. The "rock" you see is part of the Mine (station). The wreck of destroyed station will vanish eventually. Build a Mine and demolish it (there is a Self-Destruct button somewhere) and the Asteroid is gone, permanently. I did rather tow the Mines into neat stack, but that was my folly.

If you do break an Asteroid, rocks will be created. The Asteroid will respawn eventually.

The rocks are in multiple sizes. The smallest ones are collectible. The larger ones have to be shot a bit to break them into collectibles. Any gun will do. When rocks are collected, they are gone.

The X3R Bonuspack contains mining scripts. I think I had a fleet of Busters breaking rocks, fleet of Miners collecting them into TL, and CLS2 hauling from TL into factories. I had that fleet to clear Elena's Fortune of all the rocks. It took an ingame week or so. Depends on size of the fleet.

On X3TC and X3AP the rocks behave differently. IIRC, rocks did respawn in X3TC.
Goner Pancake Protector X
Insanity included at no extra charge.
There is no Box. I am the sand.

ItWasntMe
x3ap

Post by ItWasntMe » Sat, 4. Feb 23, 17:24

Thanks for that information.

I didn't want to go to loads of effort to clear a sector of asteroids and rocks to just find them reappearing or worse reappearing near a station I've built. I have a feeling that they respawn exactly where they were but I'm not a 100% sure on that. It's been so long since I played this game.

The major issue in a lot of places isn't the asteroids but it's all the rocks that just seem to be an accident waiting to happen in sectors where I have transports flying around. I'm glad that they don't respawn and I like the idea of being able to semi automate that. I have got the scripts for that installed so I'll look into that.

My other concern was what happens if my station that I put on one of the few asteroids with high yeilds gets destriyed by the khaak and from what you say it would vanish forever so maybe I should try not to let that happen. That is probably unlikely because they have 9K of shielding but it is possible. I think that's only likely if I'm unlucky enough to get a khaak invasion in that sector. I have the M7 and a nemesis and a few random ships but I don't think I can take on khaak M1s/M2s/etc.

All this is not something that's going to be solved over night. It is going to take a very long time to build my empire but it'll get there eventually. :-D

Oh I probably will need to ask questions about X3TC and X3AP eventually but I want to play X3 Reunion for a bit first.

jlehtone
x4

Post by jlehtone » Sat, 4. Feb 23, 23:10

ItWasntMe wrote:
Sat, 4. Feb 23, 17:24
I think that's only likely if I'm unlucky enough to get a khaak invasion in that sector. I have the M7 and a nemesis and a few random ships but I don't think I can take on khaak M1s/M2s/etc.
IIRC, I did encounter only two Kha'ak invasions. Wish there had been more. :cry:

There are at least two "economic" ways to slice a pineapple.

One is heavy missiles. The cheesy part is that if you launch a torpedo at ship, then its turrets can run missile defence, but if the missile is targeted at something else and just "happens" to fly through the ship, then they don't know about it.

The other is Elephant. That is the cheapest ship that can outrange and outrun Kyons. Is there honor in shooting at someone, who cannot shoot back?

ItWasntMe
x3ap

Post by ItWasntMe » Sun, 5. Feb 23, 04:48

Yeah I get where you are coming from on that one but I feel it depends on what kind of stage you are at with the game. So if you have only an M4 or possibly a Mamba Raider then at that point the Khaak are a nusance because trying to kill them results in my ship being destroyed (and the same with pirates with PSGs) but that said sometimes a challenge is nice. I feel whether or not it's fun depends on whether you have a chance of winning or if it's just 90% of the time you'll just die.

I think I have at least one Khaak invasion in my game buy I'm not 100% on that one. I may have restarted. No major sectors have an invasion so if one exists it's one of the outling regions like over near mines of fortune or Tkr's deprevation (to the far right of the map).

So if I fire a cluster missile (I think they exist) at say a near by asteroid the ship nearby will just ignore it? Interesting and also kinda stupid but I'm aware X3s AI is a kinda limited. As far as thats concerned I'm just happy that the autopilot (autopillock) works 90% of the time. Sometimes it fails but generally it's power supply or an bunch of asteroids and I was using seta at the time.

About out ranging stuff. Is there honor in it? Probably not but it is fun to blow stuff up. ;-)

jlehtone
x4

Post by jlehtone » Sun, 5. Feb 23, 14:08

ItWasntMe wrote:
Sun, 5. Feb 23, 04:48
About out ranging stuff. Is there honor in it? Probably not but it is fun to blow stuff up. ;-)
I once had a mining op logn ago, where stuff was not blown up. viewtopic.php?f=2&t=194631 (Alas, images are not there.)

That was not about clearing "natural" rocks, but about collecting content of one Asteroid.

The integral part was that all the Kha'ak capital ships in the sector were alive and chasing my ship far out from the excavation. In order to make the chase less hectic, I did damage each of them deeply first because damaged hull makes ship slower in X3R. If I had killed one, then it would respawn near center, which obviously was not acceptable. Lots of carefully controlled out of range sniping.

ItWasntMe wrote:
(and the same with pirates with PSGs)
I do remember a good one. Two pirate Falcons. No turrets like the Novas have, but one of them had PSG and the other had Ion D.
A lovely tag team against lone fighter.

ItWasntMe wrote:
So if I fire a cluster missile
Fire a Mosquito at Kha'ak. Fire a torpedo at the Mosquito. When Mosquito is gone, the torpedo continues straight. If the big bad comes straight at you, then they do collide. Or so the old hand at the bar did claim. I did leave the invasions be until I had firepower and simply did avoid those sectors.

Pirates do drop missiles. One is "Unknown" and sells for 80k. Some fighters can fire it and it does about same amount of damage as Firestorm Torpedo (for which you do need M6 or bigger).

ItWasntMe
x3ap

Post by ItWasntMe » Wed, 15. Feb 23, 23:06

Sorry for the huge delay in response time here. Sometimes I just run out of energy to respond to things and then several days go past.
jlehtone wrote:
Sun, 5. Feb 23, 14:08
I once had a mining op logn ago, where stuff was not blown up. viewtopic.php?f=2&t=194631 (Alas, images are not there.)

That was not about clearing "natural" rocks, but about collecting content of one Asteroid.

The integral part was that all the Kha'ak capital ships in the sector were alive and chasing my ship far out from the excavation. In order to make the chase less hectic, I did damage each of them deeply first because damaged hull makes ship slower in X3R. If I had killed one, then it would respawn near center, which obviously was not acceptable. Lots of carefully controlled out of range sniping.
You have just given me something to work towards. I have finished the plot and I am now sat here wondering what do I do now? I guess my options are invade Kha'ak territory or Xenon or declare war on one of the races. The game isn't built for this but I am aware that there are or were scripts that could help with this.

I have 24 Million plus 4 stations and a bunch of ships so I've made a start but it's by no means an empire and I'm now trying to way up do I abandon X3:Reunion and move on to X3:Terran Conflict?

Maybe I should make a new thread since this is no longer about asteroids. lol

Fulgrymm
x4

Post by Fulgrymm » Thu, 16. Feb 23, 00:52

If you've done everything there is to do in Reunion, like the plots and whathaveyou then sure, move on to Terran Conflict. There are so many quality of life features that it has that makes it difficult to go back to Reunion. At least for me, anyway.

ItWasntMe
x3ap

Post by ItWasntMe » Thu, 16. Feb 23, 02:49

Yeah as much as I am a fan of X3 Reunion it does seem like I am living in the past when I could be moving forward to something newer and more interesting.

The only issue I have at the moment with X3 Terran Conflict is that the controls aren't how I've configured them in X3 Reunion and I'm hoping there is a way to just copy them across. I have made a post about that in tech support.

Brinnie
x3tc

Post by Brinnie » Sun, 19. Feb 23, 14:51

ItWasntMe wrote:
Thu, 16. Feb 23, 02:49
Yeah as much as I am a fan of X3 Reunion it does seem like I am living in the past when I could be moving forward to something newer and more interesting.

The only issue I have at the moment with X3 Terran Conflict is that the controls aren't how I've configured them in X3 Reunion and I'm hoping there is a way to just copy them across. I have made a post about that in tech support.
Hi, in this case, I think there's nothing wrong with living in the past if you like Reunion. I myself have moved on like X3R> X3TC> X3AP> Farnham Legacy> Rebirth> X4 and then I have gone back to FL.
In my case I preferred the X3 overall but I found AP to be like a better version of Reunion and finally FL even more so, with the exception of the diplomacy emphasis introduced in it, but I totally disabled the aspect that I didn't like of it and I find several improvements in gameplay that I now couldn't live without.

I would recommend to try AP and from there try FL too. I too had searched for a way to make it easy to "port" the controls over but I found no way of doing it, so I patiently done them all over again and I found, unless I am mistaken, improvements in the controls in AP, like holding the keys would provide the user with more functionality by offering more shortcuts.
Also most of the scripts that I used were either available in the newer versions of X3 or were included in them. Of course these are just my own thoughts but you can easily find out for yourself, I think it's definitely worth a try.

ItWasntMe
x3ap

Post by ItWasntMe » Sun, 19. Feb 23, 19:59

Brinnie wrote:
Sun, 19. Feb 23, 14:51
ItWasntMe wrote:
Thu, 16. Feb 23, 02:49

Hi, in this case, I think there's nothing wrong with living in the past if you like Reunion. I myself have moved on like X3R> X3TC> X3AP> Farnham Legacy> Rebirth> X4 and then I have gone back to FL.
In my case I preferred the X3 overall but I found AP to be like a better version of Reunion and finally FL even more so, with the exception of the diplomacy emphasis introduced in it, but I totally disabled the aspect that I didn't like of it and I find several improvements in gameplay that I now couldn't live without.

I would recommend to try AP and from there try FL too. I too had searched for a way to make it easy to "port" the controls over but I found no way of doing it, so I patiently done them all over again and I found, unless I am mistaken, improvements in the controls in AP, like holding the keys would provide the user with more functionality by offering more shortcuts.
Also most of the scripts that I used were either available in the newer versions of X3 or were included in them. Of course these are just my own thoughts but you can easily find out for yourself, I think it's definitely worth a try.
Yeah I am quite a fan of X3 Reunion and I didn't want to abandon it because I had the beggings of mini empire there and I was starting to get it going but I kinda got stuck in a sort of what do I now situation. So I decided to play the newer X3 games. I am enjoying X3 Terran Conflict. It's new and there seems to plenty of plot and it looks better than X3 Reunion. Yeah think playing through X3TC then moving on to X3AP then X3FL seems like a good way to go. I can alway jump back if I don't like the newer games.

I was considering going straight to X4 from X3R but I hesitated and the price went from £33ish to £80 so I spent £15 on the Terran War Pack. I do feel that the X games are worth the money but moneys kinda tight right now. I think I will probably buy either X-Rebirth or X4 later in the year if I have the money. I may just go with X4 on that one because I don't like the sound of a small universe with just one ship.

About transfering the controls from X3R to X3TC I found a solution:
I found the profile files in the install directory for X3 reunion in a folder called profiles and the profiles for X3 Terran Conflict are in Documents\Egosoft\X3TC\profiles. I backed up the X3 Terran Conflict profiles and then loaded up X3 Reunion, saved an alternate profile and then looked in the install directory for X3 Reunion, went to the profiles directory and then copied profile0.xpf to Documents\Egosoft\X3TC\profiles. It seems to work just fine but not all controls work so it's not perfect but it works well enough.

A solution that needs a rewrite by the looks of things. It was late into the night when I wrote that. I'll reword it when I've worken up a bit. :-)

I suspect that copying the controller profiles from one game to another may not work forever and at some point I'm going to have to either adapt to new layout or manually recreate my old one somehow. I'll cross that bridge when I come to it.

Brinnie
x3tc

Post by Brinnie » Mon, 20. Feb 23, 20:11

Regarding the controls, I took a few screenshots of the controls for the menu and used them as reference for the new game.
I had them opened on the laptop while I would customize the controls in game on my gaming pc, after that I even printed the new ones so that I could look them up while playing, useful until I memorized them.

As the screenshots were text on black background I used paint.net to invert the colours to make them printer friendly..

Back on topic, when the asteroids respawn do they do it in the exact location and yield as the original spawn?

ItWasntMe
x3ap

Post by ItWasntMe » Mon, 20. Feb 23, 22:27

I can't be sure but I think they respawn roughly where they were and have the same yield but I'm not 100% on that one. I do have a vague memory of towing an asteroid so it didn't respawn right next a station but it was many years ago. That is for X3 Reunion, I have no idea about X3 Terran Conflict.

I guess the only way to find out for sure is to check an asteroids yield and position, mine it and then place and few satelites where it was and then wait for it to respawn. It is kind of annoying because if you go to loads of effort to clear a sector and then everything respawns right where your stations are then all your efforts are wasted.

Alan Phipps
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Post by Alan Phipps » Mon, 20. Feb 23, 23:03

IIRC in X3:R, the only way to tow an asteroid was with a mine station on it (so full map asteroids only), and then it wouldn't ever respawn after getting the mine station anyway.

I too think that you would get any full map asteroid respawn at the same location (ie perhaps surrounded by debris of predecessors), of the same mineral and of the same or very similar yield.

ItWasntMe
x3ap

Post by ItWasntMe » Mon, 20. Feb 23, 23:58

Alan Phipps wrote:
Mon, 20. Feb 23, 23:03
IIRC in X3:R, the only way to tow an asteroid was with a mine station on it (so full map asteroids only), and then it wouldn't ever respawn after getting the mine station anyway.
I think you may be right on that one. Yeah putting a station on it seems to be the best way of getting rid of it.

ItWasntMe
x3ap

Post by ItWasntMe » Thu, 23. Feb 23, 02:05

Is it weird that I am now imagining some kind of diety going round replacing asteroids and chuntering about how he put them there for a reason but can't remember what it was?

Maybe I have read to many Terry Pratchett books because that seems like a Pratchetty sort of thought. Also if it is a Terry Pratchett kind of thought then it'd probably be called the God of Asteroids. lol

Alan Phipps
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Post by Alan Phipps » Thu, 23. Feb 23, 11:05

Terry Pratchett would probably have called the 'God of Asteroids' something like 'Haemorrhoid' for a laugh.

ItWasntMe
x3ap

Post by ItWasntMe » Thu, 23. Feb 23, 14:31

Hahaha. Yeah that's sounds about right. He had a very random sense of humour.

Return to “X Trilogy Universe”